PDA

View Full Version : Back at the pom shop

Rednut
31-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Firstly, we've decided it is a girl.. and her name is Jessie.

Shes gone back to the loon for some medical treatment. Mr.Durie wasnt much help.. didnt really want much to do with her.
She left today and she be in the loon shed by tomorrow arvo.

I'll leave this thread to you loony :) you can give us all updates on "the cursed jetta".
BREAK THO CURSE! :D

Golf Loon
31-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Jetta Fixing Take 2.

I have some more suitable bits since the last attempt.

Step one will be a kjet fuel pump and accumulator and Mk2 Manifold and fuel dissy. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I can then devote time to cursebreaking and tidying.

If not, New engine will fix it.

I also now have a Mk2 dash loom, that can replace that burned wire you were showing me last time.

I reckon it`ll leave here great.

Accursed thing. If not..... Boat Anchor. (I live by the river too) :wink:

GoLfMan
31-03-2006, 06:25 PM
dump a 16v in there :P

Golf Loon
31-03-2006, 06:27 PM
dump a 16v in there :P

Thats What I reckon too. I have all the bits to do a plug and play factory install. Persuade the Nut!

GoLfMan
31-03-2006, 07:17 PM
ahhh looney... keep the mutant factory running man a 16v jetta would rock!!!

alex g
31-03-2006, 07:50 PM
i just saw the baby on the back of a car mover going through homebushish area abiout an hour ago, there aint many jettas about. i was wondering where it was off to

Rednut
31-03-2006, 09:48 PM
hahahaha such a small world. She's off to bootcamp for some toning and strengthening!!

lads,lads,lads.. if i could afford to throw $2k just for the engine.. i would!!!!!! but for now.. i have to be content with the 8v whether it be the 1.8 or the 1.9 (hopefully the 1.9!)

im just hoping for her to be an a-b for now.. until i get the funds flowin nicely.. THEN i'll beefcake her up.. shes only a 20year old teen.. i dont want her maturing too young :P it'll scar her for life.. (not the good scars)

its good weather season.. so i wont be doin 35+hours a week for a while i dont think.. :( therefore..nonety beefcakes.

CANT WAIT! :D

Golf Loon
01-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Just collected the old girl and drove her 30 ks home.

Carby is a bit moody when cold, but theres nothing wrong with the engine.

Oil light flashing was a bit unnerving, as was the buzzer when that came on, but I checked and could smell oil. Looks like one of the sensors has carked it and was leaking oil. Shouldn`t be too hard to sort out.

The clock is not working. Wonder if its on the same circuit as the central locking :roll:

Thanks for sending her down with no petrol in, that makes it easier. I love air powered cars :oops:

syncro
01-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Make sure that you don't mix up the oil pressure sensors. One goes open with low pressure and the other goes closed. One of them only operates above 2000 rpm.

This is for everyones information as a lot of mechanics use the wrong one.

This is for all VW/Audis with dynamic oil pressure indication which was introduced during the '80s.

Rednut
01-04-2006, 02:10 PM
im glad that oil buzzer came on for you.. we had no idea what it was..

perhaps they took her for a spin?? i had $20 petrol in her.. and she only did about 20k's.. was just below 1/4 full. PLENTY MATE hehehe.
"woah, never seen one of these..im gonna go for a spin in it"

im going to be without internet access (except at work) so wont be on as much.. TIMING :(
i think i'll have to get broadband on temporarily whilst im housesitting for the next 4-5months. ive already checked at work and the cabling is adsl enabled.. so if the isp says no.. i'll be shovin the phone cables in there faces!

Golf Loon
02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
http://img7.picsplace.to/img7/13/thumbs/P1230007.JPG (http://img7.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img7/13/P1230007.JPG)

Jessies engine bay when she arrived here.

1st Thought. There is a bit broken off the back of the carby. Its the choke.

2nd Thought. That includes the vacuum advance for the dissy, also not connected.

Thus she`d start poorly and run hot and flat. thought she was a bit slow on the way home.

Found all the bits for kjet though, Mk2 manifold which turns the right way, fuel pump and accumulator, fuel metering dissy and hoses. Its an injected head, so I reckon the job is on.

http://img7.picsplace.to/img7/13/thumbs/P1230015.JPG (http://img7.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img7/13/P1230015.JPG)

Close of play today.

Gonna change the rocker cover, as it has a different bracket. Painted this one for the car the girl blew up. How do you feel about blue? And a cover for the belt?

http://img7.picsplace.to/img7/13/thumbs/P1230014.JPG (http://img7.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img7/13/P1230014.JPG)

Rednut
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
lookin good mate. keep it up :D

ps: adsl is in the provisioning stages.. should have it by next monday hopefully! i'll keep checkin here at work when i am actually working.. COME ON MORE BIG WEATHER CHANGES :)

Golf Loon
04-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Bolted the inlet manifold on today and injectors.

looking more like a GTI every minute. Its so easy with the right bits, rather than having to modify everything.

I`m bolting the rocker cover down tomorrow. Last chance to tell me if you hate blue.

Rednut
06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
blue is fine. red would be the obvious choice.. being that red is faster..but blue will do ;)

Bluerex
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
So tell us how you moved the brake booster and scrapped those cr@ppy linkages?????

C :lol:

syncro
06-04-2006, 04:05 PM
So tell us how you moved the brake booster and scrapped those cr@ppy linkages?????

C :lol:

Volkswagen did it! It's a Jetta2.

Bluerex
06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Now that's embarrassing
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

C

Golf Loon
06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
You can modify a Mk2 colum to do just that though Charles, or a Mk3 one.

Glad you like blu nut!

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/17/thumbs/P1270020.JPG (http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/17/P1270020.JPG)

Got this far today.

Bluerex
07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
She is looking great (so much plumbing!!!)

I have prety much decided on a kit from the UK that will give me adjusty bias (dash mounted) and twin MCs with remote tanks. This setup will let me mount directly to the firewall (with the included strengthening plate) The booster, bell-cranks and associated bits are destined for the scrap pile

C

Rednut
07-04-2006, 03:37 PM
woohoo! lookin good. up the pom!

i think the dsl is on at home now.. will check it in a few hours..

Rednut
11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
any more updates for us loony? me amz and the bro 'might' come visit this weekend. no rush if she aint ready.. nothin definate yet also..

Golf Loon
11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
You should come and visit this weekend its gonna be crazy. Party here on Friday and the arrival of the Queensland Crew with my Scirocco! and then the Nats on Sunday. Nothing is finished, but the Jetta is close man. Close to making noises anyway :wink:

GoLfMan
11-04-2006, 11:16 PM
you getting a rocco :shock: awesome!!!!

Golf Loon
11-04-2006, 11:25 PM
http://img10.picsplace.to/3/thumbs/scirocco2.jpg (http://img11.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img10/3/scirocco2.jpg)

My new girl.

Rednut
12-04-2006, 01:08 AM
im goin to see The Darkness on friday night.. and hopefully doin some shoppin on saturday.. hopefully fit in a visit on saturday..
we have your number.. so we'll give you a holla if we got some minutes.

nice rocco :) i suspect a 16v will be making itself comfy in the engine bay :)

imported_brackie
12-04-2006, 06:19 AM
My new girl.

When you come over to Tassie next month, bring the CAR :D :D :D

Golf Loon
12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
I`d love to bring the car brackie, but it costs too much when you factor in a cabin on the boat. I could bring the car and leave the girl, but its a bit mean! Can I borrow a diesel?

imported_brackie
12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, Mate...but after driving the sort of rockets you're used to it'll be a real experience for you (especially when you fill up of course! You can drive right around Tassie on a tankful :D )

GoLfMan
13-04-2006, 11:26 AM
you cant sacrefice fun for fuel for the rest of your life brackie :wink:

Golf Loon
13-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Mate...but after driving the sort of rockets you're used to it'll be a real experience for you (especially when you fill up of course! You can drive right around Tassie on a tankful :D )

I had 950cc golfs and polos, we`ll be right.

Rednut
17-04-2006, 02:30 AM
did the wiring guru get stuck into jessie? any updates?

Golf Loon
17-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Thought you were coming down on the weekend mate.

Been at the Nats and unpacking the ute till now.

Shes nearly ready. Makes noises!

Rednut
17-04-2006, 03:24 PM
yes well, if you know my bro.. he changes his plans at the drop of a hat.. especially if its a female hat.. need i say more..
basically, we left newcastle on friday arvo and was back by saturday arvo..
there was a pub with alcohol, a concert and a hangover.. didnt leave much room for a camden visit :/

hopefully nath can pick it up and drive it up ehre next weekend? he said hes got 10days off work..

how was the nationals?

Rednut
19-04-2006, 08:35 PM
hey loon, i think nath is keen to come up this weekend.. with jesse be done by then? saturday mornin/midday-ish

did you only get time for the engine side of things??

what about the grinding of the arches,speakers/stereo,Central Locking.. all the little fart-arse-around stuff??

im carsick!

gldgti
19-04-2006, 09:35 PM
newcaslte to newcastle via blacktown, cronulla, nats 06, and still got 1/4 of a tank of fuel, i love my diesel!!!

Golf Loon
20-04-2006, 09:23 AM
hey loon, i think nath is keen to come up this weekend.. with jesse be done by then? saturday mornin/midday-ish

did you only get time for the engine side of things??

what about the grinding of the arches,speakers/stereo,Central Locking.. all the little fart-arse-around stuff??

im carsick!

I`ll get it all done hopefully. Will try for Saturday, but its up to Jesse.

Rednut
20-04-2006, 03:27 PM
treat her nice and she'll return the favour.. hopefully :D

any pics/teasers of the current status of her?

had any thoughts on the stereo? like.. where the rca cables will come out? was thinkin of just having them hang between the headunit and the slot its sitting in.. was thinkin it would be alot tider if we cut a hole in the bottom console bit where all the space is.. but the stereo may be a temporary thing.. and the hole wont be.. anywho.. i best get back to werk.

cheers mate.

Golf Loon
20-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Been out slaving over a hot Jetta.

Starts every time and purrs like a kitten. Few wires to find homes for and a hose that needs a clamp. Then the engine is done.

No Pics, you`ll have to imagine :D

Haven`t even looked at the other stuff, other than to deside which bits are getting hit by the grinder. Arches and 6x9 holes I reckon. I`ll get the stereo done, as for the rest I`ll do my best.

Get Raoul Duke to come to Campbelltown this time :wink:

DOHCDAVE
20-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Did my vacum spaghetti do the trick matt, is she running yet.

oh yeah took my 16v out tonight after swaping several bits over on the k-jet i left matts f/dist on top with one of my bottom end with the large air intake and it goes saweeeet. thanks to matt.

cheers dave

Golf Loon
20-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Did my vacum spaghetti do the trick matt, is she running yet.

cheers dave

Yes mate, spaghetti worked out real nice. I`ll be doing laps in her tomorrow!

Rednut
20-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Been out slaving over a hot Jetta.

Starts every time and purrs like a kitten. Few wires to find homes for and a hose that needs a clamp. Then the engine is done.

No Pics, you`ll have to imagine :D

Haven`t even looked at the other stuff, other than to deside which bits are getting hit by the grinder. Arches and 6x9 holes I reckon. I`ll get the stereo done, as for the rest I`ll do my best.

Get Raoul Duke to come to Campbelltown this time :wink:

sounds good :)

i'll pass the msg on to raoul..

cheeers.

Rednut
21-04-2006, 04:32 PM
i think nat is comin up in the morn..
is she ready? or we wait till next weekend?

Campbelltown train station?

Golf Loon
21-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Next Weekend. Car is Looking Good, Going *****

http://img10.picsplace.to/4/thumbs/P2110037.JPG (http://img11.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img10/4/P2110037.JPG)

I thought we were in.

Fuel Starvation. Bah. Back to the drawing board. Went good for a minute though.

And the engine has knocking noise. Has it got real hot?

On the plus side the stereo is in, 4 speakers!, interior light and the clock work and the central locking is back!

And the arches dont rub. If it catches now, you`ll have to get a lighter girlfriend :wink:

Update tomorrow.

Golf Loon
22-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I`ll move the pressure accumulator before ripping the engine out.

Rednut
26-04-2006, 06:58 PM
i was talking to a bloke at work, he said something about a termostat in the engine..
and to use some sort of timing light which is like a strobe you use to get the timing right??? :oops:

*stops talking in foreign jargon*

Golf Loon
26-04-2006, 08:44 PM
The timing is set with a strobe and sounds great at idle. It runs great when driving, but sounds rooted. Definately big end tiredness.

No chance by the weekend, but perhaps by the following weekend.

Hope thats ok.

Rednut
26-04-2006, 09:03 PM
so its gotta get the 1.8 in it innit.. no worries. SHE WILL RUN GOOD! its her destiny

Golf Loon
27-04-2006, 02:23 AM
I`m sick of working on the cursed thing. I reckon she is jinxed.

May enroll my mate Steve to help fit the next engine. Dont worry he is fully trained!

Rednut
27-04-2006, 04:00 PM
special would be the more politically correct word i reakon. is steve a mechanic and/or a user on here?

Golf Loon
05-05-2006, 05:52 PM
The "special" Jetta is getting a loving service while I am away on Hols.

Looks like the engine is good, but a few other issues are less good.

I`ll update you when I get back rednut. Panic Not, she`ll be roaring soon.

Rednut
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
if i didnt have total confidence, i would of asked for the money back the first time i sent it back :)

how is/was tassie? did you visit brakie or any of the other watercooled's?

Rednut
11-05-2006, 07:59 PM
basically the same post as last. hows the jetta lookin.. how was the muff of aus? bit hairy? *chuckles*

Golf Loon
11-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I took the Jetta to Steve before I went away. He reckons engine is good but pinging and running on 3 cylinders. He has been fixing another car so it is still there. Between us we will get it perfect. Goes pretty good at the moment, just wont start when cold. Soon my friend, thanks for your patience.

Yup the muff was great. A very comfortable stay with Brackie. Thanks mate, and plans begun for a forum revamp. You will like.

Edison
12-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Rego is the same for every car rednut. $460ish for greenslip, rta fees $250 and pinkslip $30. $750 for the year. If you are old, or have discounts its cheaper

CUT REGISTRATION COSTS are available if you shop and think laterally.
The $500 Red Golf of mine cost about $400 for rego AND 3rd party PROPERTY insurance.

things to do: find a friend who is a pensioner and has no car registered to them, they can get big discounts on the rego for you, and rta's can have a different postal address so tickets come straight to you. A person who is a blind pensioner can own and register a car, it's different to having a licence. a 5 year old can 'own' a car. [though rego i'm not sure]
Live in the country a country address makes your insurance el-cheapo. Of course you could move back after paying, not everyone can live there forever, a day in the country is quite refreshing. of course postal re-direction lasts 12 months and is free for pensioners(see above)
If you buy comprehensive at the same time as compulsory the compulsory is cheaper, if you decide later you can't afford comprehensive, you of course keep the [cheap] greenslip, and pay a fee so small for cancelling it's sometimes less than the big saving on the greenslip.

Golf Loon
13-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Good work Edison. I am in the first of the country postcodes and rego is 100s cheaper than sydney. I like the postal redirection scheme, it very true. And John Howard doesnt need our dollars for his warchest.

Rednut
02-06-2006, 01:42 PM
any updates on day 63? i miss her!

just paid for nathans parking tickets too.. the mofo didnt bother to come get the fines from you to put them in his name.. so they're paid under my name.. altho, i called and confirmed that parking tickets dont go to any type of record, so thats all good i guess.. just gotta get the money back from my nath..

jesse jesse, where are you.. la la la

Golf Loon
02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I know I know. Havent forgotten you. Sorry man.

evorobin
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
<shouting at wiggles geoff>WAKE UP LOON<shouting at wiggles geoff>

I have to say having been on a lovely vacation to the sunny gold coast for two weeks I'm not overly impressed with how far this thread has progressed :lol:

Golf Loon
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Progress today. PM Sent

Rednut
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
by the sounds of it, its gonna be a huge wire with some wheels. :D

probably the best time of the year for getting the cold start resolved..

any teasers under the hood? 8)

Golf Loon
15-06-2006, 11:55 PM
She starts in the zero temps of Camden. PM sent. She will soon be back in the bosom of her family