PDA

View Full Version : New Amarok question.

Volksee77
10-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know what has been done to get the extra power and torque in the new Amarok engines (132kW/420Nm TDI420 engine. Is it just ECM programmeing and if so can dealers reflash the TDI 400 ECM or offer an upgrade? Also can the mulitfunction leather wheel be adapted to the TDI400 2012 build Amarok trendline? Phantomcamel I'm looking to you for answers as I'd be keen to bring mine in for an upspec if you can offer it.

phantomcamel
10-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know what has been done to get the extra power and torque in the new Amarok engines (132kW/420Nm TDI420 engine. Is it just ECM programmeing and if so can dealers reflash the TDI 400 ECM or offer an upgrade? Also can the mulitfunction leather wheel be adapted to the TDI400 2012 build Amarok trendline? Phantomcamel I'm looking to you for answers as I'd be keen to bring mine in for an upspec if you can offer it.
I guess I better respond then...
Dealerships are unlikely to do any "tweaks" as simply put it's a big "No No" in VGAs eyes. Given that the engine is essentially a transporter engine as far as I know it's probably just re-tuned & a quick visit to a tuner might be your answer.
Again - the MF steering wheel is certainly do-able; can't see why not, but it's unlikely that service will touch it. You might be better off going to a non-VW dealer who specializes in German cars & check with them?

German Auto Service (http://www.germanautoservice.com.au/)
Volkswagen Repairs Mosman Park
Quattro Motors

h100vw
11-07-2012, 06:07 AM
The mechanics have to follow the book and unless there's an official software revision for your car, they are unable to do anything.
It's all done by part number, the system won't let you download something for another vehicle.

Gavin

I guess I better respond then...
Dealerships are unlikely to do any "tweaks" as simply put it's a big "No No" in VGAs eyes. Given that the engine is essentially a transporter engine as far as I know it's probably just re-tuned & a quick visit to a tuner might be your answer.

buzuki
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
It would just be software, but there is no actual way of a dealer 'upping' it. I have queried tech support.

The steering wheel could most likely be done, but again not something we've tried yet at the dealer.

mcl
12-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I think you'll find that the new TDI420 engine is a Bi-turbo, so a simple flash of the new OEM software will not bring it up to the same spec.

But I'm sure I've seen similar specs quoted from aftermarket tuners.

Cheers
MCL

Sharkie
12-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I think you'll find that the new TDI420 engine is a Bi-turbo, so a simple flash of the new OEM software will not bring it up to the same spec.

But I'm sure I've seen similar specs quoted from aftermarket tuners.

Cheers
MCL

Umm, no. Both are identical engines (and both bi-turbo).

Aftermarket tuner will have both at the same result, Oettinger will release 140kw from both :cool:

TSI would be the best bet IMO. 175kw and 450NM likely from just a chip, big increase from 118kw/300NM :cool:

mcl
12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Umm, no. Both are identical engines (and both bi-turbo).

Aftermarket tuner will have both at the same result, Oettinger will release 140kw from both :cool:

TSI would be the best bet IMO. 175kw and 450NM likely from just a chip, big increase from 118kw/300NM :cool:

Yeah, my bad...

Didn't read it properly, got confused with the 90kw model!

:facepalm:

Volksee77
12-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply Christian. Since my Amarok is new and covered under warranty I am not that keen about aftermarket tuners as any future problems and VAG will have a pretty black and white view on a warranty claim. I was hoping the new specs were a software reflash and could potentially be done at the dealers through the VCDS. I think I will have to wait the 3 years for the warranty to expire or find myself a latest spec ECU to up the power.

Volksee77
12-07-2012, 11:46 PM
As for the wheel retro fit I've seen plenty of wiring adaptor kits available on Ebay but was unsure of it's functionality with the current MFS so I think it will be a punt on an adaptor harness and find a crap wheel first to test the functionality with my Feb 2012 build ROK

geoff_gti
12-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi Luke,

Oettinger Sportsystems GmbH - Products (http://www.oettinger.com/en/produkte/katalog/volkswagen/amarok/motor-tuning/cdca-a-2000-bitdi/)

I was under the impression that Oettinger provided warranty on anything attributable to a tune, but it's always sounded like a grey area to me... Maybe worth a call to Quattro's or check with Guy over east.

Sharkie
13-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Christian. Since my Amarok is new and covered under warranty I am not that keen about aftermarket tuners as any future problems and VAG will have a pretty black and white view on a warranty claim. I was hoping the new specs were a software reflash and could potentially be done at the dealers through the VCDS. I think I will have to wait the 3 years for the warranty to expire or find myself a latest spec ECU to up the power.

Oettinger is the only tuner offering a full warranty on the drivetrain as part of their tune. You would not be out of pocket if you had to claim anything related to the drivetrain. For details I'd suggest contacting the Aus providers.

Fitting the steering wheel is more likely to get you into warranty trouble. Any powersteering, airbag, and most electronics related to or even remotely cconnected (in the loosest sense of the word) to the steerign wheel would be without warranty. And no major support like Oettinger to help you out.

Personally I'd do both, but the ECU tune is the least risky from a warranty perspective .... :cool:

Transporter
13-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Isn't that drive train warranty also time limited, to something like 12 or 36 months?

Viezu has their tunes fully insured too. ;)

Volksee77
13-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Ok guys, time to dispell some myths here. If the car is under 12 months Oetgtinger "WERE" offering a 2 year 100,000km warranty but I was speaking to them today and due to an internal restructure issue or something they are presently offering no warranty what so ever. Rule that one out if you want peace of mind after an $1800 outlay.