PDA

View Full Version : Newbi

InDeepVAG
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey crew.
Newbi to the forum but not to the foray(spellcheck) of Dubs.
My daughter just bought her forst VW/SEAT Cordoba 96 Mod.

Will post pics when i clean it up well at least the inside.
Owner of T3 Caravell GL 89mod AND T3 Syncro 91Mod.

As for the Cordoba it's a bit rough u may have seen it on eBay last week. No bells ringing?
Well heres a question for anyone.
Previous owner at some point removed steering wheel and has well broke the horn.
I have no power at the wires and obviously no horn, the steering wheel itself is stil sitting about 3-4mm shy of being in original position on post, but copper is making constant contact with rear of steer wheel. The horn is wired and horn fuse is good.
What else is there to do?

On another note Crikey these things go friggin heck 100k's in 2nd at 65-6700rpm. And it got there quick to boot. Bit faster than the T3 anyway, if i wasnt a T3 freak with now 4 littlies and 1 biggi then i may be swayed, i suppose it's for the best as i am not a real big fan of front wheel drives. BUt the Daughter is stoked with her first purchase. May need some parts in future, but as i told her it's her bill.
Cheers
Roo

NiGhtCRaWlEr
05-08-2007, 09:06 AM
welcome.. hope you too get a bit of fun out of the car..what engine d'ya have in there?

DaveMack
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the forum ... hope you and your daughter can get some help from here. Please post your location (it helps if others on the forum live near by and can help).

Cheers,
Dave

Golf Loon
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I`m in Sydney and have most second hand and new parts for that car.
0423 051737
SEATs are great. Welcome to the fold.

InDeepVAG
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Engine is a stock 1.6ltr?
I am only just getting stuck into it giving it the once over.
It will definently need a sump gasket but i will get onto imparts. Unless anyone can advise otherwise?

Golf Loon
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
It should be a 1.8L Singlepoint injection.
A very few of em were 1.6 efi, but only 1999 models

Please change your location details so that we can offer local help.

Pete Jones on here has just wrecked a Cordoba in Melbourne and has some suprisingly cheap parts for sale!

phaeton
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome to VWwA Roo j:

Soundofav6
05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard..
Can not offer much help here but can only direct you to Golf Loon.. he is our mechanic in sydney. He is amazing!!!! Hope your daughter enjoys her new car.

InDeepVAG
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeh thanks all for the welcome.
I am not sure but it could be a 1.8 as i have seen very few golfs that are 1.6 only the polos came out with a 1.6 and this is all i am going off. I maust say at this point that i helped in the buying of my elderly aunts 97 2Ltr Golf Gl and although that is an auto, the Cordoba outperforms it as far as acceleration goes. Still cant work that out.:?
I have had a big weekend spent all day saturday getting 11 yrs of dirt and dust out of the interior. Spent Today Trying to work out the Horn and as to why it wont work. Also Gave her car a really good buff and polish, as the paint work was patchy lots of overspray and a few points where the clear coat was lacking, i mean the paint job is good but a little lack of follow through and prep.

As i cant afford to buy my daughter her ideal car(splitty) and wont let her have one anyway, Learner driver syndrome want's the best. So i think she made the right decision after some lessons of car ownership from me.
I have now learnt that I/She needs 2 rear window reg's not power and i am not sure if they are still called regulators. But the cable and mounts that are usually attached to the window are snapped and a block of wood is now holding up both back windows, I have to attach the 2 or 1(got2) little armature/s back onto the drivers side door lock so as to make the central locking work. And i have a small little toggle switch in next to the latch on the fuse box cover(understeerwheel), i am not sure but i think the cordoba has an alarm can't tell as i cant lock the car and the horn doesnt work anyway so no help in either direction there.

Heres the big question,
Where is the knob or switch for the fuel gate/latch????

I cant find it. And i am scratching my head so much that i have a bald spot. Surely it cant be that hard.:mad:

Cheers
Roo

Peter Jones
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Heres the big question,
Where is the knob or switch for the fuel gate/latch????

I cant find it. And i am scratching my head so much that i have a bald spot. Surely it cant be that hard.:mad:

Cheers
Roo

There isn't one! The Fuel Flap unlocks with the doors. If the car's unlocked you should be able to press on the front edge of the flap and it should swing open.

There's a last resort pull string inside the rear 1/4 panel lining if all else fails.

Pete Jones

Golf Loon
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
We still dont know your location mate.

I have some window regulators for you? Or Peter Jones.

Fuel flap should just open. If it is staying locked, could be a vacuum leak in the vacuum operated central locking system.

InDeepVAG
06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Fuel gate.
Ok heres where the thing gets tricky on the inside panel of the drivers door there is a vacuum pot, but there is no air line coming from the pot or resevoir, i have spoken to the previous owner and he reckons there is no need for the airline as once the 1or2 little thingys are hooked up on the drivers door lock the central locking will work. So i am thinking the fuel flap/gate is not opening because of this.
I will add pics of what i am talking about soon.
I have just found out that i need a new drivers side door lock as part of the hook up between the above mentioned little thingies is snapped again pics soon. Alloy cast has broken and i gatehr this is where i need to hook up the little thingies. Following?

InDeepVAG
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Couple more pics of parts and jobs.
Check the badgey job on the carb intake mainifold, havent looked underneath there yet so it could be nothing more than a gasket or the whole manifold could be up ****.

Golf Loon
06-08-2007, 06:59 PM
The drivers door lock central locking obviously wont work.
New module may fix that.

The manifold thing is the baseplate for the singlepoint injection unit.
I have them in stock at about $80 brand new.

The trouble with SEATs is they get neglected as most mechanics at the servo dont know where to get parts for em.

They are fun cheap motoring if you keep up basic maintance, but the proper parts make it easier.

Call me at work if you want any help 0423 051737

InDeepVAG
06-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Cheers Bloke i may just do that.
How much for a Sump gasket Tappett gasket?
And when chasing parts what reference do i use 96Vw Golf or 96Seat Cordoba, as most if not all mech bit are Vw golf?

Roo

Golf Loon
07-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Most engine parts are same as 96 Golf CL.
Parts places groan when you say SEAT Cordoba, so tell em CL Golf ;)

The metal part of the handle is a lock eccentric. I can sell you a brand new one for $30

InDeepVAG
08-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I will be commencing works when she has payed off the transport costs for getting it here kinda trying to teach some lessons at the same time as help her out. She's like every other teenager wants it all but cant afford so the lesson is wait and u will be able to afford it.
Keep me in mind before u go and get rid of the rear door mechanism's.
A bloke up my way has offered me some really nice 18" rims chrome polished 18x7 **** hot looking. Correct stud and all that offset.
Was wodering if they will fit without scrubbing out the internals?

InDeepVAG
08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh yeh i know these things are made in spain?
But why would the tappett cover have made in mexico stamped into it? Is it that same old parts are made cheaper there so VW etc?

Golf Loon
09-08-2007, 11:06 PM
18s will be huuuuuge on that car. I reckon they`ll scrub everywhere.

VW make parts in Mexico and anywhere else with a cheap labourforce, like all big multinationals.

InDeepVAG
10-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Probably better as putting some **** rims on a learners car would become a nightmare with a new gutter mark everyday. Dont think i could handle the annoyance factor.
Yeh as suspected cheap labour.
So Loon do you know the car?????

Golf Loon
10-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Not really, saw it on ebay. It needed a dissy and I rang up a day late to own it :???:

InDeepVAG
11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Before i owned it??

Golf Loon
12-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Yup. I`ve never seen the car.

CORDY_SXE
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
A bloke up my way has offered me some really nice 18" rims chrome polished 18x7 **** hot looking. Correct stud and all that offset.
Was wodering if they will fit without scrubbing out the internals?

I recently had a set of 17x7's put on my Cordy and they rubbed a little, but is all good now.

I'll post up some pic's soon!

InDeepVAG
12-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeh i know the 18's would look the goods but the scratching and scrubbing and the grindage ahhhhhhhhh.