PDA

View Full Version : New 6n2 ignition key.

jets
04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
It's now over 2.5 years since we purchased our Polo. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the considerable money for a spare key.
However the car has proven to be reliable & a delight to own & drive, so it was time to investigate again having a spare key made.
Most of the key cutters said they couldn't do it on that model & the one I found who could wanted $280.
I checked again with VW spares & found the price had been reduced on the supply of the blank cut to my vin no & about 1/2 hour to program the transponder. This requires connecting to VW in Germany.
I ordered an emergency key to our Vin no that had to be cut & sent from VW warehouse in Singapore. That took around a week & cost $112. I phoned a couple of dealers & agreed on a price of $50 for the programming.Total cost, quite a saving from aftermarket.
I was slightly disappointed to find the emergency key had a plastic blade but hopefully it will never be needed to be used.The emergency keys I received with my other VWs have the steel blade.
I could have bought a proper original key for $150 & probably should have ordered that instead, as the original has some wear but works fine.
Moral of the story is to always check VW prices before considering aftermarket or used part prices.

Umai Naa!!
04-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Absolutely.

I'm reading of this quite a lot, lately. Dealers aren't always the sharks they're made out to be. There's plenty of those hiding in independant shops as it is.

I always strongly advise going through a dealer in regards to keys. If they order the worng key, and it does happen, they own it. If you jump on Ebay and order it yourself, even if it looks the same as the key you have, it may be incorrect to the point where it can't be coded to the car. Money down the drain.