PDA

View Full Version : All new 2008 Gol NF coming to Oz: Confirmed

phaeton
04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
from here http://goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/1982B0FA5B102967CA25732C00092DE2

What is a Gol ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Gol

Volkswagen gets cunning, wiping Fox off the agenda in Oz for a lower-cost small car

By JAMES STANFORD 3 August 2007

DESPITE the return of its budget brand Skoda, Volkswagen Group Australia (VGA) is desperate for a low-cost small car for the Volkswagen brand that would sit below the current $16,990 Polo hatchback – and it is pinning its hopes on a new model currently in development.

There are few details of this new entry-level model, but it is understood the car would be built on a new platform that would be cheaper to produce than the current architecture underpinning the Polo and the slightly smaller Fox, which was mooted for Australia but is no longer under consideration.

There is a good chance the new model could be built in the Asia-Pacific region, whether or not Volkswagen’s protracted negotiations with Proton lead to a Malaysian production deal.

Indeed, a Reuters report this week said Volkswagen plans to build an assembly plant in Indonesia next year to build the small car. It cited the Investor Daily newspaper, which quoted an Indonesian government official who revealed that the plant would manufacture a small car and a van with an engine size smaller than 1.5 litres.

VGA managing director Jutta Dierks told GoAuto that a new car to sit below the Polo was exactly what the company needed.

“I hope that we get a new entry-level model as quickly as possible,” Ms Dierks said.

She has ruled out bringing the Fox to Australia to sit below the Polo, because it is only available as a three-door and is not available with an automatic transmission.

“The killer is no automatic. Of course, in Europe small engines never go together with automatics,” Ms Dierks said.

Ms Dierks said she hoped the new entry-level car would not be as small as the Fox.

“Hopefully now when we think about low entry, we think about a little bit bigger car than the Fox, because that is what an emerging market needs. You put them in a small car and they don’t get enough value for money.”

Ms Dierks is confident the new affordable car would be available to all markets, but there were still some unknowns.

“The question is when is something like this available and where will it be built?” she asked.

The question of where the car will be built is especially important to Australia, because it could determine whether the car is competitive.

“For us, of course, if I only look at my Australian market, I would love to have a production site in Asia, which would give us some benefits,” Ms Dierks said. “Asia-Pacific is a growing region and we know we are missing out because we don’t have a production site and we don’t have the right car.”

Ms Dierks had examined the possibility of a production base in Australia, but concluded that set-up costs and high labour costs meant the operation would simply not be viable.

A more likely location is an emerging country somewhere else in the Asia-Pacific region, although Ms Dierks would not elaborate.

Volkswagen is still discussing a possible tie-up with Proton, but there is little hope anything will materialise in the short-term given those talks started more than two years ago. Along with Indonesia, China is another possibility.

Volkswagen was the first brand to sell a Chinese car in Australia when it imported the Shanghai-built Polo sedan in 2002.

Sold in sedan form only with a high level of specification, no diesel option and a high price of $23,990, it was a dismal failure.

Ms Dierks, who took over the Australian operation in January 2005, said the China Polo plan might have worked if the company had got the specification right.

There could also be an opportunity to import more cars from China if a free-trade agreement between China and Australia is successfully negotiated.

Even so, a Chinese-made Polo would still not be cheap enough to be a truly affordable entry-level car because it is still based on the same platform as the European Polo, which means there are limits as to how much cheaper it can be.

Ms Dierks said that the new affordable car will be especially important to Volkswagen and its Australian division because it is reaching out to a new market segment made up of young people.

“Even though we will have a brilliant year, we (VW globally) will sell six million cars, still we don’t target that area,” she said. “We are not in that market at the moment and it is huge.”

A Volkswagen that would appeal to the young would benefit the company more than the return from the initial sale, Ms Dierks said.

“What we have found is that a lot of our customers are loyal, so they upgrade themselves through the line-up,” she said.

“The beauty would be to get the driver as early as possible in the life cycle. At the beginning of our lives we are probably after basic transportation, then when we are better off we can afford a Golf GTI because we like it.”

gpk_gti
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
DESPITE the return of its budget brand Skoda, Volkswagen Group Australia (VGA) is desperate for a low-cost small car for the Volkswagen brand that would sit below the current $16,990 Polo hatchback – and it is pinning its hopes on a new model currently in development.

id love to know,who writes these articles as its a load of dog doo-doo.
they are hoping for this model in development.The only thing CONFIRMED is that VWofA is HOPING that the model is CONFIRMED.

There are few details of this new entry-level model, but it is understood the car would be built on a new platform that would be cheaper to produce than the current architecture underpinning the Polo and the slightly smaller Fox, which was mooted for Australia but is no longer under consideration.
NO LONGER UNDER CONSIDERATION.........

why is vw busting to compete with the likes of hyundai and kia is beyond me.

articles like this are just propoganda and designed to affect its competitors.

phaeton
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Its VWs new move like or hate it VW is going back to "people car" roots.

Model is yet to be released internationally hence VGA saying they are waiting for confirmation from Wolfsburg.

It is widely known that Gol NF will be replacement for Fox and Gol etc.

Tim
04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
money is in spare parts and service.
Im sure any car company wants to move large volumes of their cars

phaeton
04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
money is in spare parts and service.
Im sure any car company wants to move large volumes of their cars

Very true :D

Perhaps they can target Yaris :o :D

Ssom
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Argh, VW please don't poison the prestige brand you've built up by bringing in crap :(

mikinoz
04-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Argh, VW please don't poison the prestige brand you've built up by bringing in crap :(

When was VW a prestige brand? :???:

phaeton
04-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Gol NF (Polo based) will be quite modern it won't be like the old Gol's which have tech dating back to the 1980s Ssom ;)

Ssom
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
When was VW a prestige brand? :???:

Hrm, I just had a look at Australian Golf prices, the Golf starts at $25k for a stripper special 1.6, whereas the NZ range starts with a loaded 1.6 at $35k, so maybe VW has more mass-market aspirations over there.

Either way I think VW has a prestige reputation in Aus/NZ ever since the mid-1990's relaunches in that they've been something a little better than the Asian makes. I think once Skdoa moves into Oz, you'll see VW equipment and prices go up.

Hopefully the Gol is good, because the last thing I'd want to see is a VW Viva :(

phaeton
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I understand where you are coming from ;)

I highly doubt prices will go up, the reason I say that is current VGA Boss has already done alot of price shifting (lower).
Unless of course once the reins change at VGA it could be a different story.

I'm 100% sure Gol NF will not be a Viva, I would describe it as VWs Fabia :D

phaeton
24-08-2007, 07:19 PM
another article http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,22294773-21822,00.html :D

gpk_gti
29-08-2007, 03:12 PM
ben is a self proclaimed GOLo lover!!! hahahahhahhhaaaaa:D

phaeton
29-08-2007, 03:16 PM
ben is a self proclaimed GOLo lover!!! hahahahhahhhaaaaa:D

Thats right G j:

Gol NF and RPU (Robust Pick Up) are my babies that I'm looking very forward to :D

phaeton
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
another piece of the Gol Down Under Puzzle

VW to build Plant in Thailand - autoindustry.co.uk (http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/07-01-08_6) j:

Think Jazz, Euro, HiLux all topsellers all built in Thailand :o

TDI Dude
08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
No puzzle there... VAG announced in '07 that within 10yrs it wants to build more vehicles than toyota world wide.. seems to me to be the beginning of a plan unfolding :)

phaeton
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
No puzzle there... VAG announced in '07 that within 10yrs it wants to build more vehicles than toyota world wide.. seems to me to be the beginning of a plan unfolding :)

True, but the model in question is still to be revealed.

With all the facts I have in front of me I'm just trying to prove it will be the Gol and not the up! :D

TDI Dude
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
True, but the model in question is still to be revealed.

With all the facts I have in front of me I'm just trying to prove it will be the Gol and not the up! :D

You verly funny man ROFLMAO j::D:)

nick1234
08-01-2008, 05:25 PM
G'day people,

I personally find that these decisions - by VW - are just a whole lot of rubbish. Relocating production for a few dollars saved. At some point they've tried all the countries there are on this bloody planet and these will also become too expensive to produce in due to rising living standards and labour costs. Where will they relocate then ? Africa ? That's the last continent they haven't fully explored and that's due to its immense political instability.
Isn't that Gol bigger than the Polo ? I doubt anybody would buy this car here in the first place as the Polo - a great car and available at a more than fair price in my opinion - already sells very poorly in Australia. They tried to sell that bloody Brazilian built Fox in Europe and nobody bought it yet. I've never seen one outside the showroom. I think VW should offer the entire Polo range instead, as it available in the UK for instance.

phaeton
08-01-2008, 06:06 PM
G'day people,

I personally find that these decisions - by VW - are just a whole lot of rubbish. Relocating production for a few dollars saved. At some point they've tried all the countries there are on this bloody planet and these will also become too expensive to produce in due to rising living standards and labour costs. Where will they relocate then ? Africa ? That's the last continent they haven't fully explored and that's due to its immense political instability.
Isn't that Gol bigger than the Polo ? I doubt anybody would buy this car here in the first place as the Polo - a great car and available at a more than fair price in my opinion - already sells very poorly in Australia. They tried to sell that bloody Brazilian built Fox in Europe and nobody bought it yet. I've never seen one outside the showroom. I think VW should offer the entire Polo range instead, as it available in the UK for instance.

Nick this all I have to say :D

VW is not relocating any of there production, infact RHD Golf Mk6 is rumoured to be relocating back to Wolfsburg from South Africa.

The plants in China, India, and Russia will target home markets and not supply elsewhere within reason (Russia expected to supply Europe with Polo/Gol entry car).

The Thailand plant is expected to supply ASEAN/Australasia region.

On the Fox, it was designed for South America not Europe VW made a bad move hence up! family to the rescue.

You are right Gol and Polo are close infact Gol NF will be a cheap Polo being based on the similar platform.

When I say cheap think Skoda Fabia big car with lots for less cash, while Polo will have more luxury specs eg better engines transmissions etc.

For example....

If Gol NF retailed at $13K + onroad say $15K it would fly out the door.

When you add a new revitalised 2009 Polo range from 16,990 (could be higher)on road at $18K - $19K you begin to understand why VW wants a cheaper car below the Polo.

DaveMack
15-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Sounds and appears to go allright.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq-rJfUyiM&feature=related

Dave

phaeton
26-01-2008, 08:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/eurowind/fot358_39652.jpg

http://vwgazette.blogspot.com/2008/01/gol-nf-1st-picture-emerges.html

G loves the golo as much as me :p

Heres the 1st pics of the future VW Oz Yaris/Jazz fighter :D

gpk_gti
26-01-2008, 08:51 AM
take that GOLO and stick it in your golo!:D

phaeton
26-01-2008, 09:09 AM
another view

http://carroonline.terra.com.br/wwwroot/carroonline/serverpage_new/images/c172.gif

and sedan revealed called Voyage ;) (looks like mini Bora)

G get on MSN :D

gpk_gti
26-01-2008, 09:11 AM
bluuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

there goes my brekkie:o

phaeton
26-01-2008, 09:12 AM
LOL j:

Its better than Yaris and Jazz cause of the VW badge I admit it :D

gpk_gti
26-01-2008, 09:20 AM
um,yeah ok.....but does that mean if we stuck a vw badge on a yaris ,we should love it????

phaeton
26-01-2008, 10:51 AM
um,yeah ok.....but does that mean if we stuck a vw badge on a yaris ,we should love it????

No way while the Yaris and Jazz are good cars in their own right a rebadged version would never be considered a VW

I'm just saying that the VW badge rules in my heart even if perhaps Yaris and Jazz are more advanced which I may or may not have to admit.

BTW if VGA offer the Gol here I'm seriously considering purchasing one :D

phaeton
31-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Crap I was fooled these are illustrations :(

phaeton
22-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Revealed 99.9% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p5bVrVO8M8 j:

phaeton
14-06-2008, 07:43 PM
First Official Picture

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/06/fachada_novo_gol_geracao_5-1.jpg

Official Reveal end of June :D

So the pieces fit......
Also in the news is that VW is finalizing its proposal for a factory in Thailand for a car for capacity under 2.0L and be E85 compatible to be built in this factory.

Anyone who knows anything about Ethanol fuelled vehicles will know that Brazil is a leader in this market.

So within 2-3 years I speculate that the Brazilian engineered Gol NF will be marketed in Australia and possibly with the E85 engine.