PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure

shami
04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what should be the appropriate tyre pressure??? Do all cars have the same ???

Thanks

Shami

Soundofav6
04-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I am sure they are not same, I am guessing because FR, FF, 4wd reasons ??
I just go by standard, the sticker from petrol door.

sci_fianime
06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what should be the appropriate tyre pressure??? Do all cars have the same ???

Thanks

Shami

Tyre pressure is different from car to car due to the difference in drive type as mentioned (FF, FR, 4WD, AWD), weight, tyre size etc...

Best is to use the recommended for your car which is normally located in the car door or fuel lid....

MattyT
07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
This advice is generally a great idea.

However I've been trying a tip from a friend who works at can best be described as a rice garage (:D), 34psi all round.

Seems nicer, tad more grip, not sure on wear yet.

ScienceVR6
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
is that up or down on your normal pressures?

MattyT
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Up from 32.

Just checked my notes, its 38psi actually!

ScienceVR6
07-08-2007, 11:02 PM
i run my fronts at 38, the rears at 36.
At the drags, i ran 20psi in the front and 45psi in the rear

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 08:01 PM
The pressures on the tyre placards are the minimum tyre pressures.

If you are carrying a heavy load add 4 PSi, if you are doing high speed driving then add another 4psi.

Check on the sidewall of your tyes and see what the maximum pressure the tyre can handle. Do not go above this!

I like to run anywhere from 34 to 38 psi. 38 psi makes for a bit of a rough ride, but I know the tyre will not overheat when going fast. I find 36 to 34psi to be the best.

It all comes down to sidewall flex. If the tyre is under-inflated, the sidewall moves around alot, generating heat. This heat is transfered to the air inside the tyre and causes the tyre to wear unevenly and prematurely.

If you inflate to say 36 psi and you are doing highspeed driving for a long distance, up to 120km/h, the sidewall does not flex, therefore stopping the tyre from becoming hot, and succumbing to a tyre blowout, at worse, or uneven wear.

You will be suprised at the difference you feel between 1 0r 2 psi in the wheels.

CaddyShack