PDA

View Full Version : R36...pre-ordered!!!

Pages : [1] 2

blur32
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
My first post on this section, but I thought it about time, as I will be the proud owner (hopefully) of an R36 Passat Wagon in the 1st qtr of '08.

Pre-ordered one today to replace my MkV R32. VAG Aust still haven't confirmed pricing or final spec as yet as Oz build has slipped to late '07/'early '08. VAG Aust will still be launching at the Sydney Motor Show though.

$1000 deposit and the expectation that the price will be approx. $65 to $70k.

here's to a loooong waiting period and pent up frustration!!!

Mario
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
My first post on this section, but I thought it about time, as I will be the proud owner (hopefully) of an R36 Passat Wagon in the 1st qtr of '08.

Pre-ordered one today to replace my MkV R32. VAG Aust still haven't confirmed pricing or final spec as yet as Oz build has slipped to late '07/'early '08. VAG Aust will still be launching at the Sydney Motor Show though.

Hi Blur.. good work.... what dealership?, i was at the botany (NSW) branch yesterday and they dont yet know anything about the R36 Passat.. mario.

anarchycamp
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Nice one!!!! I must admit I thought the pricing would be more like $75 to $80k but if thats the case, brilliant!!! :D

phaeton
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats blur32 j:

What colour did you order it in ?

;);) Black would be my choice :D

blur32
04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Congrats blur32 j:

What colour did you order it in ?

Black would be my choice

Black it is! (or will be). There are still rumors of them coming with matt black grills and rims....if thats the case, it will be white.

Going to try & forget it now as I know it will be closer to 12 months before I see it...which will also keep my leasing company a little more on side ;) ...still have the R32 to amuse myself with for a while!

Will keep everyone informed on the progress (final spec & price) and build dates and ETA. First Oz cars are due to go into production late Nov or early Dec, althought this may slip due to already existing OS demand (pre-orders in Germany & UK). ETA in the UK has slipped to April '08 alreday.

GoLfMan
04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
you lucky bugger :(

phaeton
05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Cool blur32 or should that be blar36 j:

OilBurna
09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
any updates on your car?

Steve
18-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Seconding the request for an update!

I'm days away from ordering either a V6 Passat or an R36... the R36 is looking better and better, although the dealer said "maybe September" when I asked how long it'd take.

OilBurna
18-01-2008, 10:34 AM
don;t the dealers want to sell any cars, surely someone at VWA must know, or maybe they are still waiting to hear from Germany

Vene
18-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Any idea when the car is due to arrive in Oz? I've heard its Sept 08, is this still current?

Steve
19-01-2008, 12:18 AM
When I asked on Wednesday, the dealer said September at the latest. However, I'm hearing stories of April at the earliest...

Vene
19-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Yep, Sept seems to be the due date for now. I think the R50 arrives in April. BTW - does anyone have any info on the new satnav/multimedia systems due out this year? I heard its got an SD card reader, DVD player, 3D satnav, iPod link, but no mention of bluetooth handsfree.

On a side note, I test drove the v6 FSI passat variant, would be interesting to compare it with the R36......another 40kws can't hurt.

Steve
19-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, and nor can fixing the awful seats the V6 has!

The seats in a base model Commodore are better.

Mischa
19-01-2008, 03:17 PM
mmmmm r36 300hp motor in an mk2.... mmmmm if one of you hates it when you get it just roll it will you so i can pick it up at an auction :D j:

Vene
20-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Black it is! (or will be). There are still rumors of them coming with matt black grills and rims....if thats the case, it will be white.

Going to try & forget it now as I know it will be closer to 12 months before I see it...which will also keep my leasing company a little more on side ;) ...still have the R32 to amuse myself with for a while!

Will keep everyone informed on the progress (final spec & price) and build dates and ETA. First Oz cars are due to go into production late Nov or early Dec, althought this may slip due to already existing OS demand (pre-orders in Germany & UK). ETA in the UK has slipped to April '08 alreday.

:) Just placed a pre-order deposit for a pearl effect blue R36. Expected delivery around Sept 2008. Dealer seems quite confident there'll be no further delays on the delivery date. Interesting point - the satnav option is being upgraded shortly, its the RNS510 is anyone is interested (already available in Europe).

Here goes 8 months of agony.....

Steve
20-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Nice!

What was the price guesstimate and what options are available?

We wouldn't be ordering satnav because of what it does to the CD stacker - unless the RNS510 changes that.

Edit: I just had a look at the details of the RNS510 and it looks like a beauty. Hard drive based navigation, 20gb of hard drive space for music, and it plays MP3 files from a DVD (no need for a stacker now!) and on the wagon it includes a reversing camera - something we love about our Q7.

The now optional CD changer ($790) still lives in the centre console though.

September is a long way away... did you order the sedan or wagon?

Vene
20-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Just over $80k with options (incl GST and onroads). The car comes quite well equiped as standard. I think the only options available at this stage is satnav (RNS510), auto tailgate and sunroof.

I can't wait to check out the RNS510. It has a SD card slot aswell so movies and music can be played from that media type. That's hundreds/thousands of songs depending on the size of card. But the best part is, no track skipping.

I went with the variant. I like the look and need the space. Something about a practical, family car that could launch to 100kmh in under 6s, gotta love it. Can't wait to test out the launch control feature.......

PS - I was told the production version will have a brushed metal finish on the interior. The blue is also slightly different to the R32 blue.....although visually difficult to compare unless they're next to each other. The only thing frustrating me (apart from the long wait) is the lack of Bluetooth. Well its still unclear atm, it seems its a dealer fitted accessory but from what I can find on the net, the RNS510 can be fitted with an optional bluetooth module (factory fitted). VGA can't (maybe won't) say if it'll be available in Oz. The dealer fitted version doesn't integrate with the GPS screen, would not make sense to go down this path.

qsilverza
20-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I like the sound of this Passat, I hope they bring out another "Performance" Jetta or probably this will be it.

V6 FSI's will be a good buy in a few years, maybe something to upgrade to from my Bora ;) Of course you can always get some R36 seats as a replacement :)

Steve
20-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Hm, that's a little more than we were expecting but I'm sure I can get the OK - I'm going to place an order tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to the sat-nav unit too - 20 gigs of hard drive space is available for music! Load all your most listened to albums on there and then the single CD/DVD player makes even more sense... and the SD slot AND the iPod input... oh yeah!

A brushed metal finish will be a lot nicer than the finish shown in the concept, which was the only thing I didn't like about the interior. The seats look great, especially with the microfibre cusions. One thing I hate about leather seats is sitting on them... I can't stand it. These should be better.

I'll pobably get Bluetooth if it's available. Our dealer didn't really know much about the R36 at all, so I guess this whole talk about options and accessories is speculative at the moment.

Vene
20-01-2008, 08:09 PM
That's odd, my dealer got the specs from Volkswagen Aust. Seems they've released some info to dealers. I tried another dealer just to compare aswell.....got the standard "check on the internet" response. The dealer I went with was a lot more helpful, had pictures, specs, options list, etc.......maybe shop around a little.

I know I'm much happier buying from someone who knows about the car they're selling (he drives an R32).

BTW - just curious to know what the security is like for Passats (and R32s for that matter). These cars don't seem to be the car of choice for thefts (well not whats reported in the media anyways). Lets hope it stays that way. Was wondering how secure the alarm/immobiliser is. Appreciate any input.

PS: Was talking to a mate of mine who's got a Mazda RX8. He takes it to the track quite often......the last trip out he was trailing a R32 around the track and was keeping up reasonably well (keeping it at around 5-6000rpm) but when they hit the straight, the R32 pulled away easily. Now just imagine another 40kws.....hawt :)

Vene
21-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Just thought I'd post a pic of the RNS510 if anyone if interested.

OilBurna
21-01-2008, 12:39 PM
this should keep you going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXX53jdBts&feature=related

Vene
21-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Drool.......:(

Steve
21-01-2008, 09:15 PM
One looking just like that will be in my garage in 8 months :D

:(

macdaddy
21-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I am about 3 months away from ordering the R32.....however have always wanted a slightly bigger version, so its starting to smell like R36 :-)

Does anyone have any idea if the engone note will be similar or even better (if possible) than the R32??

Golf Houso
21-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm guessing it would be almost the same, most probably deeper and more booming due to the larger displacement. I seriously doubt it will sound any less agressive, since they're basically trying to market a larger more practical version of the R32 just look at it! As not everyone is a fan of the golf shape, nor the dimensions. VW should have made sportier sedans long ago...

But yeah, it could quite possible be the most agro sounding VW ever made!

Vene
22-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Thing is......whats with the extra long delay on the R36? I thought it was meant to be launched late last year? A 12 month delay seems unusual. My dealer explained that VW was not happy with a particular aspect of the car and is testing/fixing it atm.....no details as usual.

DaveMack
22-01-2008, 10:23 AM
You didn't go far enough with your YouTube investigations. Here's Jeremy Clarkson's take on the R36.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLtfbMiYHU&feature=related

hehehehe :D

Dave

Vene
22-01-2008, 10:27 AM
What does he know anyway? LOL :)

Vene
22-01-2008, 03:52 PM
One looking just like that will be in my garage in 8 months :D

:(

Hey Steve, did you manage to negotiate a discount on your car? I got all of $81 off....:confused:

Vene
22-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Guys, any chance VW will possibly upgrade the R36 steering wheel to the one in the coupe concept? Looks a little more current.....here's wishful thinking I guess.

Steve
22-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I got them to chuck in a Bluetooth kit, but given the uncertainty regarding compatibility with the new sat-nav unit I'm not expecting much love.

I really want a GTI/R32 style steering wheel...

Still 8 months to go :(

Steve
23-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Hm... I had an interesting thought today.

There's an exhaust "flapper" on the R32, but none on the 3.6 V6 Passat. I wonder if the R36 will have one, and if so... if it's possible to do the flapper trick...?!

I hope it's doable...

Vene
24-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Steve,

When does the flapper kick in on the R32? Would it make the exhaust note too boomy at the low end?

On a side note, a friend of mine has ordered a BMW 335i convertible. The R36 is on par on 0-100kms performance figures.....partly due to the DSG gearbox imo. Although the 335i has a maximum torque band from 1500 - 5000rpm.

Does anyone know what the torque figures are for the R36? Can't seem to find it published anywhere.

Steve
24-01-2008, 11:17 AM
From memory it's 3500 RPM. Check out YouTube for some video clips of before and after the mod has been done - just search for "r32 flapper" and you'll see a few IV and V R32's with it done.

It might make the sound too loud, although it is possible (or was, on the IV) to install a switch so it could be controlled in the cabin at will: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1404645

Good for police/long trips/coming home late at night/etc.

I can't find any torque figures either.

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd say at least 380-420nm, my guess is 400 flat! Definately consider that its a 3.6L. That seems like a reasonable figure. The dsg's are all different to suit various engines. They only put a 360 rated nm transmission on the golfs as the max they reach is a lick under that.

The exhaust shouldn't be that loud or annoying, its a VW afterall, not a fiesta XR4 :D

Mischa
24-01-2008, 12:05 PM
i'm gonna take a punt and say 350nm... who wants to take bets :P

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I do!

Whoever is closest gets a flog in whoever's car was furthest away in that figure!

I can assure you, the 2.slow is alot more fun to drive than you can imagine :D

Anyone else care to partake in our little bet?

Steve
24-01-2008, 12:34 PM
The 3.2 V6 puts out 330nm and in the US the 3.6 V6 puts out 360nm.

Given that the US version has 280hp and the R36 has 300, and both have the same gearbox... The R36 does 0-100 in 5.6 seconds and the US spec V6 does it in 6.3. Something has to account for the difference - it can't just be 20 more horsepower - so I'm guessing the torque has also been bumped up.

My guess is 380nm :)

Vene
24-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with Golf Houso........400nm :)

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 06:43 PM
we could all be wrong and it might end up being like... 430nm or something considerably higher and we'd be wrong lol j:

But yeah, everyone like nice even numbers 400nm is a very slick number, it could be more or less what does it matter, its what sounds best in the brochure and what VW can market best with.... Ahh marketing, how I love thee!

Can someone get me a job seriously, I'm hating mine... :(

Mischa
24-01-2008, 07:08 PM
we could all be wrong and it might end up being like... 430nm or something considerably higher and we'd be wrong lol j:

But yeah, everyone like nice even numbers 400nm is a very slick number, it could be more or less what does it matter, its what sounds best in the brochure and what VW can market best with.... Ahh marketing, how I love thee!

Can someone get me a job seriously, I'm hating mine... :(

lol just go get one at an rsl they'll hire with no experience and pay descent money and all you do is sit on your ass all night plus since theres night shifts you can work 2 jobs if you need more money

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 08:05 PM
lol just go get one at an rsl they'll hire with no experience and pay descent money and all you do is sit on your ass all night plus since theres night shifts you can work 2 jobs if you need more money

I know a few people that do that, I don't need the money, the money is good. I.e Bora 4motion by early june, but I doubt I can last that long. But i "%#ing hate it, I like the industry and the work, but I hate the job/boss. I'll just start looking for other jobs during work time :D

Now back to the r36... Any more news, pics, bets etc?

Vene
24-01-2008, 11:40 PM
No news from here but I have a question for all you R32/GTI owners out there.....we all know what happened when the WRX first emerged in the market, it became somewhat of a 'car of choice' for ramraiders and joy riders alike. Does anyone have any insight on the R series VWs? Was curious if there's a similar perception with these cars?

Steve
24-01-2008, 11:49 PM
We've had no problems with the GTI - the worst thing to happen has been trolley rash from some numbnuts in a car park.

I had a VS Commodore for a while and it was broken in to three times and on one occasion, somebody had tried to steal it (the immobilizer thwarted them). It turned in to a VY Commodore and the biggest problem I've had with that has been a kangaroo.

Somebody badged the front grille VW badge a while ago (at the Adelaide Airport general aviation terminal car park), and it was a pain in the arse to get a replacement - apparently it had to be ordered in and we had to pick it up from the dealer's service centre. Driving around in a GTI without a nose was painful :(

Vene
25-01-2008, 07:40 AM
We've had no problems with the GTI - the worst thing to happen has been trolley rash from some numbnuts in a car park.

I had a VS Commodore for a while and it was broken in to three times and on one occasion, somebody had tried to steal it (the immobilizer thwarted them). It turned in to a VY Commodore and the biggest problem I've had with that has been a kangaroo.

Somebody badged the front grille VW badge a while ago (at the Adelaide Airport general aviation terminal car park), and it was a pain in the arse to get a replacement - apparently it had to be ordered in and we had to pick it up from the dealer's service centre. Driving around in a GTI without a nose was painful :(

FFS what is wrong with people these days.........no respect for others' property. As for shopping trolley incidents, I've experienced the same. But in my case it was a careless senior citizen so had to bite my tongue.

Funny story, mate of mine took delivery of his Q7 brand new (one of the first few landed). His wife kerbed his 20" wheels and dented the drivers door (had to be replaced) all in the first week and while the car was still under 100kms on the speedo.

Imagine the grief and sheer emotional damage!!! Life was never the same after that.

Steve
25-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I didn't see the person with the trolley but the evidence is pretty clear... two dents at trolley height, a couple of inches apart in a straight line...

The GTI is mum's car and the problem driver is Dad. He doesn't know or care about wheels and kerbs. They're a mess.

Dad has a Q7 and you don't even want to know what he's done to it... he left a piece of 2x4 on a bench in the garage, then drove his car in to the garage, and put the piece of 2x4 through the front passenger wheel arch. I'll take a photo in a while... it's disturbing. He probably wants to fix it himself.

I'm putting up most of the money for the R36 and there's no way I'm going to let Dad near it. He's a disaster.

Edit: Gotta wait for the battery on my camera to charge!

Vene
25-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Haha, I have similar fears of my wife. She sees the car as a means of getting from A to B safely (for the passengers). The car itself can be sacrificed if need be!!!

A period of quarantine is warranted.

Steve
25-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I think I'll set his key to put the seat all the way back... that way he can't drive it. Zing!

Also, I keep wanting to type "RS6" rather than "R36" and now that I know what the new RS6 is like, the urge is even greater. Check it out:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_2204.shtml

Vene
25-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Ok that gives new meaning to jealousy.

However the thought of staring down the barrel of a gun at the traffic lights or at the servo just doesn't appeal.

That and handing over an exponentially higher price in relation to performance. For that price I'd rather drive a Porsche (but then again my first comment still applies lol)

Vene
25-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Found this great site with screenshots of the RNS510. Seems bluetooth connectivity is definitely available (integrated) however neither the dealer or VAG can tell me if it'll be available in Oz.

Frustrating....:?

http://www.lutschi.biz/album/RNS510/index.html

Steve
25-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Looks good!

As much as I'd love an RS6, I agree. Too much $$ :(

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Hmnn sexy...

I'd rather have the passat though, twin turbo 3.6l PWWWAAAAHHH!!!

How much torgue would that have? Hahahahaha

Steve
28-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Not as much as a twin turbo V10 :D

Vene
29-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Guys,

I've got a general question re V6 Passat FSI, when taking off from standstill, does the car still lag slightly when the pedal is floored? I know the car has some kind of launch control but was curious to know if there is a significant lag when not using launch control?

I guess its not that much of an issue for day to day driving...

phaeton
29-01-2008, 07:01 PM
R36 to Debut at Brisbane International Motor Show this Friday ;)

Steve
29-01-2008, 08:26 PM
So... who's going to check it out for us? :)

Adelaide has to wait until April for a motor show :(

Vene
29-01-2008, 08:58 PM
If its in Adelaide ima be there!! :)

OilBurna
29-01-2008, 09:02 PM
expected in melbourne as well?

DaveMack
30-01-2008, 01:26 AM
So... who's going to check it out for us? :)

That would be me. :D

Dave

Steve
30-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Sweet... lots of photos please :D:D

Vene
30-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm tempted to make a trip up myself :):)

Golf Houso
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
What are the torque figures??? It is friday today... right?

Mischa
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
lol i'm gonna be way wrong. it'll be over 400nm for shizzle

Steve
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.volkswagen.com.au

Finally, a brief mention on the VW website.

Pity there's no information and the "more" link is broken!

Mischa
01-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I WIN I WIN I WIN I WIN!!!! 350nm!!!! :D :D :D read it and weep losers! :P j:

Pre-eminent Power
Get a firm grip on the most powerful production Passat ever built, with a sprint time of 1-100 in 5.6 seconds for the sedan and 5.8 seconds for the wagon. The 3.6 litre, naturally aspirated V6 engine pumps out an impressive 220kW of power, enabling a robust 350Nm of torque. Channelling all that power, the latest 4MOTION all wheel drive system ensures your maximum stability and cornering control at all times.

taken from: www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/trim_lines/Passat_R36.html

Steve
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
How did you find that? :)

That's a bit disappointing, but oh well. I'm over it :)

This, on the other hand, is good news:

he Passat R36 sedan starts at $64,990 and the Passat R36 wagon starts at $66,990 (1) and will be in dealerships from the third quarter of 2008. Pre orders can be taken now.

The contract I have here says $71990 for the wagon... hello, $5000 j:

Still no specification sheet though :(

Golf Houso
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
curses, looks like you got a free ride in the 2.slow, lucky you ;)

Hmnn pricing doesn't sound bad actually, pretty reasonable if you ask me... Might pick up one of these in DSG for my parents in 5-6 years:D

Good one mischa!

Vene
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Dammit its still 3rd qtr 2008......was hoping it'd be sooner. Found these photos if anyone is interested.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9907/volkswagen-passat-r36-brisbane-motor-show/

Not sure if I'm game to have the "come race me" decals tho lolol

350nm ain't bad.....was hoping for close to 400nm but meh not gonna complain. I just want my car now!!!

Treza360
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
That would be me. :D

Dave
Don't worry, I'll be there too as well at some stage. I'll try to get as many photos as I can before my crappy camera drains its' batteries. I'll probably spend most of the time loitering around the Ferrari stand though.
Can't wait until the R36s' start to get delivered and we can start to here some feedback. :D

Steve
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Can any of you guys who are going to see it before me find out if there is a "flapper" similar to that on the R32?

I don't know how you'd crawl under the car without being kicked out though :)

Vene
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
And lots of photos of the interior pls......curious about the dash in-lay, hope its nicer than the concept dash.

Wish I could be there :(

Cro
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone, I've had one of these on order since mid last year so I'm glad it's all official finally.
Very dissapointed with the date though as my dealer told me I'd have it mid-april...

In any case, for those wanting a sound byte VW Individual has it on their website.
http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/unternehmen/konzern/individual/fahrzeugkonzepte/produktmarke_r.html

Go through the intro, click R36 preview, watch the commercial and click the sound bytes.
Doesn't sound anything like a R32, definately a lot meaner. Along with the whining DSG it sounds almost like a blown 8 :)

Steve
02-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Sounds good!

Pullstarter
02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Are these going to come out in sedan or wagon only?

DaveMack
03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Are these going to come out in sedan or wagon only?

Both. The covers were on two at the Motor show ... one of each.

Dave

Pullstarter
03-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Ah........nice!! That means we now have the choice of 2 very fast AWD VWs, that's gotta be a good thing :D

OilBurna
04-02-2008, 05:22 AM
all detials up on the vwa website now.

sedan 64,990, wagon 66,990...

what happened to the front fogs or b/c of the bodykit.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/trim_lines/Passat_R36.html

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/passat_r36.Par.0007.Image.jpg

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/passat_r36.Par.0015.Image.jpg

nice seats

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/passat_r36.Par.0009.Image.jpg

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/passat_r36.Par.0017.Image.jpg

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/passat_r36.Par.0021.Image.jpg

ncie gearknob as well, heated front and outer rear seats - yummy.

says expected 3rd quarter.. orders taken now.

Vene
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Heated seats in Australia is probably not crucial but may come in handy. I'd like to see what the dash treatment looks like tho. Heard its different to the concept.

OilBurna
04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
come in handy in melbourne in winter nothing like a toasty bum heheh

Steve
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
The R32 doesn't have front fog lights either.

macdaddy
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone, I've had one of these on order since mid last year so I'm glad it's all official finally.
Very dissapointed with the date though as my dealer told me I'd have it mid-april...

In any case, for those wanting a sound byte VW Individual has it on their website.
http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/unternehmen/konzern/individual/fahrzeugkonzepte/produktmarke_r.html

Go through the intro, click R36 preview, watch the commercial and click the sound bytes.
Doesn't sound anything like a R32, definately a lot meaner. Along with the whining DSG it sounds almost like a blown 8 :)

Where do you find the sound clip?

Steve
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Skip the introduction, go to the R36 preview, and just below the video are three "sound" buttons.

You might need to click the little "sound on/sound off" button first... I did.

macdaddy
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Skip the introduction, go to the R36 preview, and just below the video are three "sound" buttons.

You might need to click the little "sound on/sound off" button first... I did.

Gottcha..........was just taking so long to download....I never saw it!

Steve
04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Sounds good hey? :D

Vene
05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Sounds great........the DSG whine is a nice touch......hope it doesn't overpower the sound of the engine from the inside tho. I heard both cars will feature at the Melbourne motor show as well.

Steve
05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
If it's like the GTI, you can hear the whine if you listen for it but it's certainly not overpowering. It' pretty cool.

limmy
05-02-2008, 09:57 PM
ok. just got back from the motor show then. unfortunately...didn't have a camera...but at the end of the day, most pics are on the web now anyway. if you wanna see some good pics, go to http://www.caradvice.com.au/9907/volkswagen-passat-r36-brisbane-motor-show/ or http://www.caradvice.com.au/9942/2008-brisbane-motor-show-gallery/11/. lots on the R36. they also had the R50. VW stand was very popular...especially with the 2x R36, R50 and R32.

it looks like the R36 will only be available in three colours, that's right...3! there will be a deep black pearl, the pearl blue you see in most pics (which in fact is slightly darker than the golf R32 blue), and reflex silver.

thankfully...vw changed up the dash inserts. (someone mentioned this earlier in the post). instead of the 'engine spin' inserts (as found in the R32)...which looked very cheap and nasty in the R36 concept pics, vw have opted for the brushed aluminum look as per the GTI mkv. looks very clean.

perfect driving position is similar to the R32/GTI. it was spot on for me. compared to the new wrx sti which felt like utter crap.

one of the highlights would have to be the seats. the pictures on the net don't do it any justice. i was a little sceptical myself...but in the flesh they are hot as. very chunky, comfy, supportive and look the part. feel better than my gti mkv seats for sure.

had this nifty feature (can't remember what it was called...someone help me out)...auto something...auto brake? i dunno. anyway, you switch on this button next to your hand brake...and if you pull up on a hill, when you apply the brake to stop, the gear cogs lock in place and prevents rolling if you shift your foot to accellerate when the light turns green. only a small feature...but would make for perfect hill starts coming from the dsg gearbox. i know i have this problem where after breaking, i shift my left foot on the brake to ease off, and have the right foot ready to ease on the gas at the same time.

R36 and R50 both had the RNS510...quite simply...it looks AWESOME.

so for all those that have pre ordered the R36...you have my vote all the way.

Vene
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks mate.........you've just made the 6/7 month wait all the more painful. I'm still waiting on more information on the bluetooth functionality with the RNS510. Seems silly not to include it considering most of the GPS systems in other manufacturers (BMW/Merc etc) have this feature included.

Steve
06-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I reckon. This is torture.

I might be in New Zealand when the car arrives, too... :(

OilBurna
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm happy to baby sit for you Steve hehehe

limmy
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks mate.........you've just made the 6/7 month wait all the more painful. I'm still waiting on more information on the bluetooth functionality with the RNS510. Seems silly not to include it considering most of the GPS systems in other manufacturers (BMW/Merc etc) have this feature included.

hahaha. at least i gave it a massive wrap. would have been a let down if i said crap things about it! i honestly can't fault the car.

Steve
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I have had a few offers of that... :)

It's interesting to see that the R36 isn't expected to hit the UK until "summer 08" so I guess we won't be too far behind. It'll be interesting to see what Fifth Gear and Top Gear make of it.

Also, I had a quick look at the VW website for information about this on regular Passat wagons, but couldn't find anything. On Dad's Q7 there is a cargo blind thing that you can roll back and use to cover cargo that doesn't exceed a certain height. Is this available for the Passat? I regularly (OK, they haven't left my Commodore wagon for months) carry golf clubs around. It'd be good if I could keep them in the car but cover them up.

Anyone know?

DaveMack
07-02-2008, 12:33 AM
[quote=Steve.;125916]I have had a few offers of that... :)

It's interesting to see that the R36 isn't expected to hit the UK until "summer 08" so I guess we won't be too far behind. It'll be interesting to see what Fifth Gear and Top Gear make of it.
quote]

Funny you should ask ... Jeremy Clarkson's summary of the R36 was:

"It's a very strange beast ... a bit like your Granny saying ... Have another piece of cake, Vicar ... it's got cocaine in it." :D

Dave

Steve
07-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, that clip is great :)

OilBurna
07-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Steve all regular Passat Wagons have a luggage blind and also cargo net as std.

Vene
07-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Love the cargo net feature. Would be particularly useful to keep the dog safely in the cargo area during excessive launch/braking lololol. j:

OilBurna
07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
soryr my bad its not actually a cargo net ie to restrain luggage, its more like a barrier between the load area and passenger area but its a net that pulls up from behind the rear set and hooks into the roof. Don't know if it would stop heavy items like a metal one. Still a useful feature though, along with the cargo blind. There are also tie down hooks in the cargo area as well.

Steve
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Sweet, thanks for that. I need to look at the PDF's on the Volkswagen website a bit more closely... it was right infront of me :)

Vene
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone know how to access the 'more' link on the VW Aust. Website relating to the R36? When I click on it, I'm taken to a logon/password screen. Seems odd.

Also, those of you with current model Passats, could you give me an indication of the running costs pls (eg. avg service costs). I'm assuming the insurance and tyre costs for the R36 would be higher than the regular versions.

Steve
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing tyres will be more expensive than those for the GTI and fuel consumption will be on par with the old Ecotech V6 enchines that Holden used to stick in the Commodore.

Servicing costs... don't go to a VW dealer :)

Cro
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I've already organised my budgets for the R36, and comparing the 3.2L Passat I previously had on order it's not too much more.
25,000km's a year
15L per 100km's Average @ $1.50 per litre
Tyres @ $2500 a set to replace every 25,000kms
Servicing @ $1000 per year.

I'm sure the servicing comes under $1k, but I am a bit worried about maintenance items such as brake pads, rotors, shocks, etc...

macdaddy
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Does anyone have any photos of the interior of the R36 from the BMS?

Cro
08-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I got someone of another forum to take some pics for me, I've uploaded them here:
http://doncro.dyndns.org/pics/Cars/VW/Passat%20R36/Australian/

Steve
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Looks good!

I guess it would be too much to hope that we get a GTI style steering wheel and/or one like the Passat CC concept with the Audi like controls on it.

Still, the rear seats look comfy (not that I'll ever be in them!) and the brushed aluminium looks a lot better than the stuff shown in the concept.

And another question for Passat wagon owners... do the rear seats fold down, and if so, to what extent? Are they flat, or not quite?

Cheers!

OilBurna
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
rear seats fold down pretty much flat yes or can split...

nice pics I'm digging that gear shift knob.

Steve
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Sweet. Cheers :)

Treza360
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Photos from my trip to BIMS now posted over in the photo thread.
Link here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=127126&posted=1#post127126)
Enjoy.
Cheers
Trent

R36 Dreamer
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have just found this website - been on Tyresmoke for the last couple of years.....

I have also put my name down on the list for a R36 wagon, and cannot wait - thought I should be used to waiting given my current car took 5 months !!

Really have loved the GTI, but bigger car is required, and the R36 should fill the space nicely.!!!

Look forward to any more details as they come to hand.

Vene
11-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Gratz......from all the posts on this forum it seems the wagon is by far more popular than the sedan. Not what I expected but interesting result. I went for the wagon as well. Aside from the extra room and practicality.....I feel its better looking than the sedan. Not a real fan of the tail end of the sedan to be honest. As a bonus, the wagon can be optioned with auto tailgate.

Was just debating with a mate on the boost in performance if the R36 was twin-turbo'd. He ordered a BMW 335i (flip top) which is very similar performance wise to the R36. Now drop two turbo's in the engine bay and BAM....you'd hit 100 in less than 5s imo.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.......not sure if the gearbox can cope with that kind of torque tho.

Steve
11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I also reckon the wagon is better looking... and definitely more useful for me, too.

Regarding forced induction... check out the work HPA Motorsport do. A stock DSG box will not be able to handle much more torque than the electronically limited 350nm the R36 has.

HPA (I think, but I can't remember exactly) have twin turbo'd a DSG R32 and apparently they make a DSG strengthening kit, but I can't find the details on their website. Might be a different company.

It'd be interesting, that's for sure :)

Treza360
11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Was just debating with a mate on the boost in performance if the R36 was twin-turbo'd. He ordered a BMW 335i (flip top) which is very similar performance wise to the R36. Now drop two turbo's in the engine bay and BAM....you'd hit 100 in less than 5s imo.
Check this post twin turbo R36 Golf. ;)
Link Here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12453)
In regards to the DSG and torque, according to the dude on the Audi stand at the motorshow, the S-Tronic (ie. DSG) is being uprated in about July to be able to cope with the higher powered cars. He said it will be available in the S5 which stock has 440Nm. Not sure what the new torque rating will be though.

R36 Dreamer
12-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Check this post twin turbo R36 Golf. ;)
Link Here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12453)
In regards to the DSG and torque, according to the dude on the Audi stand at the motorshow, the S-Tronic (ie. DSG) is being uprated in about July to be able to cope with the higher powered cars. He said it will be available in the S5 which stock has 440Nm. Not sure what the new torque rating will be though.

The DSG can easily be uprated to deal with extra torque load - the Bugatti Veyron and Lambo both use modified DSG/Stronic Boxes.

When the technology was new it had issues with torque, which is why even a 2.0T Quattro A4 Audi got the 6 speed Auto, and not S tronic.

phaeton
12-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Welcome to VWwA R36 Dreamer j:

R36 Dreamer
12-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Welcome to VWwA R36 Dreamer j:

Thanks Phaeton, I think I said earlier that I have been on Tyresmoke for a few years, but a lot of what they say on that forum is irrelevant to Aus Market.

Look forward to interesting discussion here from now on.:D

Vene
12-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't tell me all you guys ordered the R36 in blue aswell? lolol

Steve
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I reckon the first boat load will all be blue wagons ;)

Cro
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Cool, I'll be able to spot mine easily from work (have a view of the docks).
The only reflex silver sedan :)

Vene
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
No you won't cos they're all wraped in that white protective sheet when they're delivered. BTW - I got some news from VW Aust. about the bluetooth module for the RNS510. They're testing it and may include it as an option. Bad news is it may be an expensive option :confused:

Also, I think there was a post on goauto.com.au recently about the new DSG gearbox VW is developing....its a 7 speed.

R36 Dreamer
13-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Cool, I'll be able to spot mine easily from work (have a view of the docks).
The only reflex silver sedan :)

Which docks are you referring to?

I remember when my GTI was coming from South Africa, I tracked it the entire way on the water (using the Wallensen Willhemsen website) and could see a heap being unloaded in Darling Harbour.

Unfortunately they no longer use those docks for unloading, so I am not sure where VW get taken off in Sydney.

Would be interested in finding out, as I intend to track the R36 as well.

Once I knew the boat was off the water, Barloworld in Mascot got daily calls until delivery. It is amazing what happens when you hassle them - car was delivered 5 days after coming off the boat!!!

Vene
13-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Once I knew the boat was off the water, Barloworld in Mascot got daily calls until delivery. It is amazing what happens when you hassle them - car was delivered 5 days after coming off the boat!!!

Nice strategy.....especially with a new car like the R36, dealers may take their time so they could check out the car and maybe take it for a spin.

Cro
13-02-2008, 11:57 AM

They used to come off at Darling Harbour, which is right infront of me. But now those docks have been sold to developers. Right across the "river" though near the Anzac bridge are a hell of a lot more docks, and with a pair of binnoculars I can make out individual cars coming of the boat.
:)

R36 Dreamer
13-02-2008, 12:06 PM
They used to come off at Darling Harbour, which is right infront of me. But now those docks have been sold to developers. Right across the "river" though near the Anzac bridge are a hell of a lot more docks, and with a pair of binnoculars I can make out individual cars coming of the boat.

Lucky you - I am in Darling Park Complex, so can not see the other docks - did see a RORO come in this morning and head over that way though...

TDI Dude
13-02-2008, 12:40 PM

I remember when my GTI was coming from South Africa, I tracked it the entire way on the water (using the Wallensen Willhemsen website) and could see a heap being unloaded in Darling Harbour.

Unfortunately they no longer use those docks for unloading, so I am not sure where VW get taken off in Sydney.

Would be interested in finding out, as I intend to track the R36 as well.

Vehicles now get transported to Port Kembla where a new dock facility has been constructed for car transporting. The vehicles are then transported to Patrick's holding yard in Ingleburn for inspection & compliance plate issue etc... From there they are transported to various dealers. As I understand ( I think ) Jettas are the only ones that come thru Glebe Island/Darling Harbour as they are built in Mexico, all other VW's that are built in Germany or South Africa come via Port Kembla.

Steve
15-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I just had a quick read of the R36 press release PDF for the first time and noticed this:

In addition, as standard equipment , the Passat R36 will be delivered with a
sport seating system together with electric 12-way adjustment and electro-pneumatic
side bolsters, R36 door sill trims, new instrument lights (white illumination)

Electro-pneumatic bolstering? White instrument illumination? Hello!

Vene
15-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Yep, basically the side bolsters can be electrically adjusted to 'fit' your body lol. As for the white illumination, it does look better than the full blue set up imo.

OilBurna
15-02-2008, 11:45 AM
yes those new seats looks very nice, insanely jealous, might trying parking my bum in them at the motor show if the cars are open.

Mischa
15-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Yep, basically the side bolsters can be electrically adjusted to 'fit' your body lol.

it all sounds very nice but silly things like this all add weight to make the car fatter and heavier... i thought its meant to be a sports-oriented car rather than a big S-class saloon :???:

R36 Dreamer
15-02-2008, 02:59 PM
it all sounds very nice but silly things like this all add weight to make the car fatter and heavier... i thought its meant to be a sports-oriented car rather than a big S-class saloon :???:

Sorry, but it is hardly an s class saloon and comparing it to such is silly.

Personally I was after a luxury sports wagon, not a lotus exige when I was looking for a car.

Looking at the write ups, and from my personal experience, the Passat 3.2 was only missing good handling - and the R36 corrects that problem.

Never heard a journalist (or a mate) say "jeez this is a great car, but it would be better if it was stripped out"

Not all cars are for the track, and I prefer a car with all the bits and pieces as well as a being a decent performer.

Just like I dont want a fat slow luxury car, I dont want a race car. I think that the R36 is a good compromise between both.

But then again I am biased!!!:):):)

Mischa
15-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Sorry, but it is hardly an s class saloon and comparing it to such is silly.

Personally I was after a luxury sports wagon, not a lotus exige when I was looking for a car.

Looking at the write ups, and from my personal experience, the Passat 3.2 was only missing good handling - and the R36 corrects that problem.

Never heard a journalist (or a mate) say "jeez this is a great car, but it would be better if it was stripped out"

Not all cars are for the track, and I prefer a car with all the bits and pieces as well as a being a decent performer.

Just like I dont want a fat slow luxury car, I dont want a race car. I think that the R36 is a good compromise between both.

But then again I am biased!!!:):):)

comparison to an S class is quite relevant actually (although maybe an E class would be its closer competitor). anyway all i was saying with the seat as an example is that it seems strange to me that htey'd add a comfort-function only to the more sports oriented variant. i would have expected the fancy seats would be on the 3.2 and that perhaps more rs4 style seats would suit the r36.

and dont worry i'm not melining your future baby or anything ;)

R36 Dreamer
18-02-2008, 11:31 AM
comparison to an S class is quite relevant actually

I cannot draw any comparisons between the two except they are both built in Germany.

The seats in the R36 are a sports seat, but have bolstering to enable people to better adjust the seat.

Having driven the 3.2 Wagon I would agree it needs better seats also, but wouldn't want the R36 not to have them.

macdaddy
18-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Has anyone who has ordered or planning to order the R36, thought about mods? Can the DSG handle much more torque? Be awesome to get the thing closer to 5sec 0 - 100

Vene
18-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Nar I don't think I'll be making any mods. Its plenty powerful as is and will be used as a family car mostly so no need. Don't really want the exhaust note to get too boomy either so any work to further free up the airflow is out of the question.

I've also optioned it with the Dynaudio kit so the sound should be satisfactory (I hope). Only disappointing aspect is the lack of a sub for the low end but its something I can live without.

Also not so sure about the automatic tailgate...it doesn't have a proximity warning/sensor so need to be extra careful when opening.

Steve
19-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Has anyone who has ordered or planning to order the R36, thought about mods? Can the DSG handle much more torque? Be awesome to get the thing closer to 5sec 0 - 100
It can, though you need to buy a strengthening kit and I can't remember who makes them... then you need to reflash the ECU to allow more torque to get spat out.

Short of forced induction, I don't know what we can do to give enough power to get it to the 5 second or less mark. We're probably better off with a new Haldex controller or something...

t25turbo
22-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I have a great interest in this car also. I wanted something that was practical, roomy (fit a bike inside), and quick. There aren't really many options unless you go for a SS commodore or a XR6 or XR8. By quick I mean at least as quick as these Oz vehicles and after having driven an S4 with 220kw a while ago, this R36 is about the closest you can find that is new. And the price, although seemingly high when compared with Japanese rivals, is really very inviting when you look at the options list and check out the build quality. Having said that I would say that the quality of the interiors of Volkswagens has dropped a little, but I wouldnt say in the build quality, only the materials used, and when trying to be competitive with the other cheaper marques, somthings gotta give and I praise Volkswagen for it.

I spoke to my dealer today and he said about September delivery. I want a wagon (I have a blue 02 Liberty RX wagon) but the wife wants a sedan. I will kick myself if I dont get a wagon, but either way, if I can just get my hands on one, would be a dream thats been a long time coming (s4, GTI, R32 been thorugh all these but could not bring myself to commit due to family situation)

R36 is like a Euro GT Falcon, SS Commodore or Subaru Liberty Spec B or similar for close to same money.

Go R36!

Northy
23-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Was talking to my local dealer about a pre order and the Hands Free bluetooth is an option in the new sat nav but at $700+ im not sure its really worth it....

Vene
26-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Guys, whats this I hear about a facelift for the passat in 2009? Sorta thinking now if its worth going with the R36 or switch to the new Passat CC. Interested to know everyone's opinions...

t25turbo
26-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Apparently this happens when the models gain popularity and more demand is created in the larger markets (i.e Europe and USA) or may just happen at the end of the lifecycle of the vehicle. As I understand it the high performance model is released in Germany and the larger markets just as the factory's are re-tooling for the the next generation of that model. Then we are forced to wait for the orders tto be filled elsewhere until we get the vehicles delivered here. I dont know exactly but it seems to make sense to me. The Mk4 R32 was close or overlapping if you count overseas releases,with the Mk5 Golf range release or may have even been before I am not one hundred percent, but I know other persons will know more than me and would welcome some further clarification if possible. I think that is what will happen with the R36 and we will probably be the last on the list as usual. The new or facelifted passat comes out soonafter the R36 but if the R36 is what we have been waiting for (hallelujah, I dont have to settle for a WRX especially one that looks like that (opinion only, sorry to anyone who has one)) a performance luxury vehicle that has room for the family and a bmx bike in the back without taking off the front wheel, then I will gladly pony up the dough for the vehicle and lovingly care for it for the next eleventeen years. I am not one of those guys who can lease a car through a business, so I will probably pay close to retail and just keep it for a long time. Yay!

Northy
27-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Placed my Order sarvo, Biscay Blue R36 Wagon, Satnav RVC, Dynaudio, Auto Tailgate, UV Tint & Bluetooth

:-D

Steve
27-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Haha, we're all going to have blue wagons :) :)

Vene
29-02-2008, 01:08 PM
So who's in Melbourne? Noticed some write ups about the motor show on Drive.com. I'm assuming the R36 will feature.

docjames
29-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Pics on caradvice.com.au.......

Steve
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know when these things are going to start getting to customers internationally? I can't find any useful information on the UK Volkswagen site, and last time I checked the German site I couldn't find anything either. They don't even have obvious R36 pages like the VW Australia site has.

Vene
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Extremely disappointing imo. I recall reading about the R36 two years ago. It can't possible take this long to get to market. It better be an awesome car when it hits Oz shores......high expectations to live up.

Steve
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah it's a pain in the arse. I wonder what the enormous delay has been caused by? I know the 3.6 engines in the US 4MOTION Passat has had some problems but that's now fixed - maybe the R36 delay is related.

Still, not hearing anything and Volkswagen's elastic ETA's is frustrating me. It seems we have more information than most foreigners.

Vene
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
If I recall correctly, we should get a VIN# approx 3 months before delivery as the car is being prepared to be shipped. In fact, I think dealers are notified when the car goes into production........so, if I don't get a confirmation the car is in fact on its way (around late June/July), I might reconsider my plans.

I don't doubt its a great car but I'm not waiting around forever for it. In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned a friend of mine has ordered a BMW 335i conv. in Aug last year for April delivery. Well he just found out his car hasn't even been built yet so its now pushed out to June 08. Unacceptable.

So with any luck the car will arrive in Sept otherwise.....back to the drawing board. What else can do 0-100 in 5.8 seconds, can accommodate a family and doesn't cost the earth? :???:

Steve
04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah I'm with you on that... we heard out GTI was on the way a few months before it got here.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd love an RS6. Unfortunately... I don't have the coin.

If I didn't need the space, I'd be after a 135i in a flash. It's not big enough, though.

Hmph.

Northy
04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Was talking to my dealer today and he said that we would get some kind of ref number as soon as the car has started to be built, when this is going to be is another matter, Also on the issues with the 3.6L engine, its had issues with oil pump failures, the 3.6L thats in the R36 is not the same engine as there is a 24hp power output diff....

R36 Dreamer
05-03-2008, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=Northy;135658]Was talking to my dealer today and he said that we would get some kind of ref number as soon as the car has started to be built,

That was definately the case with my GTI, I was given a commission number and Vin number as soon as it was in production.

The dealer should be able to pass those details through as soon as the car is built.

Then you can track the transit through Willem Willhemsen website (spelling could be incorrect)

Using my last car as an example as follows -

Go to -
http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/searchCargo.do?trackType=RoRo

Type in the Vin which is WVWZZZ1KZ6U031768

You will then get the details of when the car left port and you can then track the ships location. This will only work if the car is on a WW branded ship. Sometimes when the cars are coming from Germany they go on another ship.

I found it made the last month quicker, and I could also put pressure on the dealer when it arrived -

I actually had the dealer call me about a month later to ask how I had tracked it!!

Hope this helps!!

Steve
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Good news!

I just got off the phone with the dealer we're buying the R36 from, and we have a build week! Week 15, which is early April (I think).

She reckons that it takes around 8 or 9 weeks for most Passat's to get to the dealer from the time they are loaded on to the ship.

So, it's looking like September arrival is a bit pessimistic - we're now looking at June or July instead!

As well as that, she confirmed the pricing change from the contract I signed a few months ago. It's going to be $5200 less :D

Vene
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Steve,

That's great news........are you getting the price cut off the RRP.

Steve
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Yep. The "cash price" on the contract for the car without anything else and no options was $71990, and the $5200 is coming off that.

OilBurna
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
great news Steve, I'm sure you can't wait.

Steve
11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty happy - especially that I'm no longer going to New Zealand for a few months.

My birthday is in July... an R36 would make a nice present :)

R36 Dreamer
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Good news!

I just got off the phone with the dealer we're buying the R36 from, and we have a build week! Week 15, which is early April (I think).

She reckons that it takes around 8 or 9 weeks for most Passat's to get to the dealer from the time they are loaded on to the ship.

So, it's looking like September arrival is a bit pessimistic - we're now looking at June or July instead!

As well as that, she confirmed the pricing change from the contract I signed a few months ago. It's going to be $5200 less :D

Steve,

That sounds great. I am contacting my dealer to confirm the timeframe (not because I dont believe your post, just to get a second confirmation) - I dont want to get my hopes up just yet.

Good to hear you got that discount, revised pricing was released just prior to me signing up.

slitko
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Was there any reason to the price drop? Strong Aussie $$ ?

Steve
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Steve,

That sounds great. I am contacting my dealer to confirm the timeframe (not because I dont believe your post, just to get a second confirmation) - I dont want to get my hopes up just yet.

Good to hear you got that discount, revised pricing was released just prior to me signing up.
Good idea trying to get some confirmation - it'd suck if I was getting a wind up! The dealer was adamant (and very excited) so I do believe her, even though the news was quite unexpected. I'll definitely be interested in hearing what your dealer says... in fact, I'd like to know if everyone is now expecting their car to arrive early :)

Was there any reason to the price drop? Strong Aussie $$ ?
The AUD isn't moving a whole lot against the EUR - at least, not fundamentally enough and long term enough to warrant adjusted pricing. For example, one Euro buys 1.6775 Australian Dollars now, 1.6143 on February 12, and 1.6814 on the day I placed the order (January 21).

The reason for the price drop was that I did the paperwork before pricing was confirmed and even before the car was oficially launched, and the new contract will reflect the confirmed pricing - which is cheaper than the dealer's patchy preliminary documentation indicated.

I'm pretty happy the confirmed pricing was passed on so readily. I've heard of people - admittedly buying far more expensive and exclusive cars - having to battle to get the cheaper confirmed pricing while the dealer is only too happy to pass on price increases!

R36 Dreamer
12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Good idea trying to get some confirmation - it'd suck if I was getting a wind up! The dealer was adamant (and very excited) so I do believe her, even though the news was quite unexpected. I'll definitely be interested in hearing what your dealer says... in fact, I'd like to know if everyone is now expecting their car to arrive early :)

Well Stevo, I just got a response from Barloworld advising that the build week is 17. This is the week commencing the 21st April.

The dealer was also able to give me a commission number, which confirms the order is in the VAG system. Closer to the date the VIN will also be available.

The dealer is trying to find out what the release date is in Australia, because it hasn't officially been brought forward - but he advises it probably will be given the above info.

He is also trying to get a final specification list for the car, which to date is just a guide.

I just hope the drop in RRP doesn't also result in a drop in standard features advertised.

My countdown to the release as previously advised showed 222 days until delivery, now I should hopefully have the car in about 120 days (4 months)

How bloody fantastic.

Steve
12-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Sweet, that's great news :D:D

I went to my dealer today and signed the revised contract. We don't have a commission number yet because while the original order was in the system, it was incomplete because we were still trying to figure out who or what the registered owner would be. That's all sorted out now.

I don't think the confirmed pricing will reflect a lower equipment level, I'm confident that it's just that - confirmed pricing. The break down is $5000 less for the car and $200 less stamp duty.

I had a chat with the dealer and she said the delivery process will go like this:

1) The car will be built in week 15-ish.
2) Car sits around waiting for a ship. Car gets on ship.
3) 7 to 9 weeks later, the ship arrives in Melbourne or Sydney or whatever.
4) 3 weeks after that, the car arrives in my garage.

So that's what... week 25 to 27. July, I guess.

I also checked to make sure my golf clubs fit in the boot. They do, just - gotta take my putter and driver out of the bag - and the cargo cover hides everything nicely :)

Steve
12-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Now I'm thinking... I'm very tempted to go with the Dynaudio setup.

Does anyone have any insight? I forgot to have a listen to the standard versus Dynaudio systems when I was at the dealer today... is the standard RNS510 stereo severely lacking, or is it up to scratch? I guess Dynaudio would be wasted on MP3's anyway... right?

Decisions!

Northy
12-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Does anyone have any insight? I forgot to have a listen to the standard versus Dynaudio systems when I was at the dealer today... is the standard RNS510 stereo severely lacking, or is it up to scratch? I guess Dynaudio would be wasted on MP3's anyway... right?

Decisions!

I know ill be mighty pissed if the $5,000 I have shelled out for (RNS510+Dynaudio) dosent sound like a premium audio setup....

slitko
12-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Decisions!

I was going to put Dynaudio in the EOS but the dealer was honest and said it would not make much difference to justify the price. Maybe it sounds different in the Passats? I did not put Dynaudio in the Passat so cant comment on that.

R36 Dreamer
13-03-2008, 06:27 AM
I was going to put Dynaudio in the EOS but the dealer was honest and said it would not make much difference to justify the price. Maybe it sounds different in the Passats? I did not put Dynaudio in the Passat so cant comment on that.

In the passat doesn't the Dynaudio add reversing camera as well? Still if the sound doesn't dramatically improve it seems like a bit of a waste.

I know that upgrading the stereo from standard to Symphony in the Audis make a HUGE difference....

Northy
13-03-2008, 09:27 AM
In the passat doesn't the Dynaudio add reversing camera as well? Still if the sound doesn't dramatically improve it seems like a bit of a waste.

I know that upgrading the stereo from standard to Symphony in the Audis make a HUGE difference....

The RVC (reverse camera) is part of the Satnav upgrade.

Steve
13-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, the camera is standard on the wagons with the RNS510, though I'm not sure if it's even an option on the sedan.

RWK
13-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Nah, the RVC only available for the wagons not sedan. Otherwise, I would've been added it on my option list. :)

Vene
13-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone know if the Passat comes with an umbrella (driver's door)? I know there's a specific slot for an umbrella but not sure if it comes with one.

RWK
13-03-2008, 01:06 PM
LOL, it probably would cost you $200 for an umbrella :P

OilBurna
13-03-2008, 02:04 PM
nope no umbrella, though I saw them hand out some nifty ones for the attendees at the tiguan motorshow launch event that looked like they would be a perfect fit.... peed off with vw no invite to the launch as passat wagon owner and even registered on the wbe site. next sale goes to merc or bmw you should see the amount of marketing and phone calls they do.. even though we have the lowest (almost) mercedes model still get invites to all sorts of good events. oops rant over now.

Should give you one with the r36 tho...

slitko
14-03-2008, 12:49 AM
We took our Passat for its 1st service checkup and we had the umbrella in there. We did not look when we picked it up and noticed 1 week later that it was missing the bastards :(

Northy
14-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Just got off the phone with my dealer, Also saying week 16 is the eta for the build, but its subject to change....

Steve
14-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Sweeeet :)

Northy
17-03-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_suPuC94fqs check out this video, at 1min 13sec....what is that???

Steve
18-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure, but it looks like a telephone keypad.

It's ugly :)

Vene
27-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Another indication the R36 is close to delivery.......NRMA already have the car on their online system for insurance quotation. The quote I got wasn't too bad but should be able to get it down further by increasing the excess amount.

Steve
27-03-2008, 09:14 AM
NRMA/SGIC just quoted me $1700... ouch. I think they need to revise their entry on the R36, though - their column for type of engine is "FI" which makes me think they think it's got forced induction!

Vene
27-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Mine came it at about that price aswell. Could change by the time the car arrives in Oz.....

We should be able to change around the excess component to manipulate the premium values.

On a side note - can anyone comment on how PULP engines would perform if ULP is used instead? Is it a significant reduction in performance?

R36 Dreamer
27-03-2008, 10:49 AM
On a side note - can anyone comment on how PULP engines would perform if ULP is used instead? Is it a significant reduction in performance?

Basically you can go down from 98 octane to 95 octane, and the performance is reduced.

Using Standard Unleaded long term does bad things to the engine. I am not sure why, but I have heard of a number of failures which are related to using standard ulp.

In the GTI I have used 95 and can really notice a difference from the 98 which is recommended. I thought it may have been a placebo effect, but recently my wife filled the car (first mistake) and when I got in I noticed a difference, and asked her what she had filled it with. She said "premium" but when I checked my next Fleet statement, it was only 95 octane.

My advice is always use what they recommend.

R36 Dreamer
27-03-2008, 10:52 AM
NRMA/SGIC just quoted me $1700... ouch. I think they need to revise their entry on the R36, though - their column for type of engine is "FI" which makes me think they think it's got forced induction!

FI is fuel injected.

I got $1,200, which it cheaper than the GTI - how funny and ridiculous.

Kinda like the P plate rules in NSW. A low pressure turbo saab with 125Kw is banned for p platers, but they can drive a 190kw bomodore of falcon... where is the sense?

Cro
27-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer, and he reckons my car will be built in Week 16...meaning a June delivery which is all good and well.
However, I've noticed some of you have been given week 15 build weeks even though you placed the order a good 6 months after mine...
Could you guys please re-confirm your build weeks as they may have changed, otherwise my dealer will have a lot of explaining to do...

On the insurance side of things mine came in at 2k, a bit steep considering my age, max NCB, garaged area, and non forced induction engine however it came in under the $2200 I budgeted so I'm happy :)

Northy
27-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer, and he reckons my car will be built in Week 16...meaning a June delivery which is all good and well.
However, I've noticed some of you have been given week 15 build weeks even though you placed the order a good 6 months after mine...
Could you guys please re-confirm your build weeks as they may have changed, otherwise my dealer will have a lot of explaining to do...

On the insurance side of things mine came in at 2k, a bit steep considering my age, max NCB, garaged area, and non forced induction engine however it came in under the $2200 I budgeted so I'm happy :)

The dont just build one car per week.....they may start to build 100 cars in week 16 so you and the other 99 people would be in the same basket....

none of us have had our build weeks confirmed either....

R36 Dreamer
27-03-2008, 04:21 PM

They will all be on the same ship at the end of the day.... and you should be happy - when it comes time to sell yours will be newer... LOL

Northy
28-03-2008, 08:00 AM
has anyone else has their build week confirmed?

Steve
29-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Nope.

I'm going to the dealer some time this week (Monday, I reckon) to change my order yet again... I've convinced myself to spring for the Dynaudio package.

I'll find out more about build weeks and so on when I'm there...

Steve
30-03-2008, 12:03 PM
So I just went to the Volkswagen Germany site and found this:

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/modelle/passat/Passat_Variant/ausstattungsvarianten/R36.html

Interesting how the seats look slightly different...

Anyway, they have a website that is miles ahead of the Australian one and have a configurator. Looks like we're getting shafted with colours here... the red R36 looks pretty hot :)

Interesting to see the options we don't have here.

Cro
30-03-2008, 04:32 PM
That is an awesome find :D

I've got some of the finer tech details not previously known translated using google translator:
-- Acceleration of 0-80/0-100 km / h:
3.8 / 5.6-(4.0 / 5.8 s) 1
-- Emission class: Euro 4 2
Empty weight: 1689 (1747) 1
Perm. Total weight: 2270 kg (2350 kg) 1
Payload: 581 kg (603 kg) 1
Perm. Axle front / rear: 1170 kg/1150 kg (1230 kg) 1
Perm. Load / perm. Roof load: 85 kg/100 kg
-- Maximum speed: 250 km / h
-- Fuel consumption, 1 / 100 km/CO2-Emission, g / km
(According to the currently valid version of the EU
80/1268/EEC determined): Super petrol
Lead, or at least 95 RON unleaded Superplus
Inner town: 14.7
Except place: 8.1
Combined: 10.5
CO2 emissions, g / km combined: 249
-- Maximum torque, Nm at 1/min: 350/2400-5300
-- Maximum power, kW (PS) at 1/min: 220 (300) / 6600
-- Sports suspension, body approximately 25 mm lowered

Waiting for the R36 has just been made worthwhile in my books...some of the big benefits I see are:
Torque is available for quite some time, whilst much lower the torque spread is almost like my old XR6Turbo
0-80 in 3.8
Ability to use 95 ron fuel when 98 is unavailable, and decent consumption figures
Ability to load upto 85kg on the roof (great for roof pods)
Weight distribution in a fully loaded car is almost perfect, great for the country roads on trips away or when towing.

Northy
30-03-2008, 04:56 PM
All I want to know is the comp ratio of the engine hehe

Vene
31-03-2008, 09:29 AM
My German is a bit rusty (actually non-existant)......on page 9 just above the wheel caption, does it say optional 19" mags? :o

Steve
31-03-2008, 09:52 AM
It does, but I can't find a photo of them (at least I couldn't within 30 seconds :)). They're 19 inch Ausführung wheels... whatever they are!

Vene
31-03-2008, 10:19 AM
It'd be interesting to see what they look like but with the lower profile tyres for 19s, the ride might start to get a little too harsh. I'm alrdy a little concerned with how firm the std ride will be.

R36 Dreamer
31-03-2008, 02:39 PM
It'd be interesting to see what they look like but with the lower profile tyres for 19s, the ride might start to get a little too harsh. I'm alrdy a little concerned with how firm the std ride will be.

Not to mention the cost of tyres.... they cost enough on 17's so I am happy not to go bigger than 18.

Steve
31-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Sigh... I called the dealer regarding my decision to go for Dynaudio, and it's too late... the car is "in production" and I can't change anything :(

Northy
31-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Sigh... I called the dealer regarding my decision to go for Dynaudio, and it's too late... the car is "in production" and I can't change anything :(

what exaclty does that mean tho? confirmed build date perhaps?

Steve
31-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure exactly. She said that while the car mightn't be on the production line yet, it's very close. She reckons the cut off is a week or two prior to the start of production, which ties in with week 15 production/completion.

Good news, I guess... even though I'm not happy :)

Also...the premium Bluetooth is still unconfirmed.

R36 Dreamer
01-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Steve,

Just a thought, but couldn't the dealer source another car which is "in production" with the specs you want, and change your order to that one?

I suppose the dealer should be willing to do this for you given you have preordered and I assume parted with some $$ in the form of a deposit.

VW Dealers have very detailed data bases of cars which are going into production and will be available for sale. They should be able to see whether there is a car which will be suitable on their IT system.

Sounds to me like perhaps your dealer is being lazy, figures they already have the order so why bother.

With my GTI, I ordered a car without leather, and decided later I wanted leather. The dealer managed to source the same spec from production stock with leather and simply swapped the order over.....

Hope this helps..

R36 Dreamer
01-04-2008, 08:01 AM
PS

Specs have appeared this morning on VW Australia Website

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/data_facts/information_prices.html

Vene
01-04-2008, 08:25 AM

Steve,

I heard the Dynaudio system would demonstrate some improvement in sound quality at higher volumes. I.e. less distortion, etc. VW should've added a sub with it to improve the low end imo....I ticked the option box on it anyway :)

Steve
01-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Steve,

Just a thought, but couldn't the dealer source another car which is "in production" with the specs you want, and change your order to that one?

I suppose the dealer should be willing to do this for you given you have preordered and I assume parted with some $$ in the form of a deposit.

VW Dealers have very detailed data bases of cars which are going into production and will be available for sale. They should be able to see whether there is a car which will be suitable on their IT system.

Sounds to me like perhaps your dealer is being lazy, figures they already have the order so why bother.

With my GTI, I ordered a car without leather, and decided later I wanted leather. The dealer ma
naged to source the same spec from production stock with leather and simply swapped the order over.....

Hope this helps..
Cheers, I hadn't thought of that. I suspect it is doable, though I have no idea. I'll see her at the motor show tomorrow and we'll have a look at the car together and a chat and see what we can figure out.

I'm not too fussed with the colour - so long as it isn't reflex silver - so maybe there is another car coming with what I want that hasn't been ordered yet. I can live with a sunroof too, even though I don't really want one and would rarely use it. Who knows if a car like this is on the first shipment, though :)

Steve,

I heard the Dynaudio system would demonstrate some improvement in sound quality at higher volumes. I.e. less distortion, etc. VW should've added a sub with it to improve the low end imo....I ticked the option box on it anyway :)
I've heard very good things about the Dynaudio too. The car is the one place I get to listen as loud and as long as I like so I finally decided to spend some more $$ only to be thwarted so far. I should have tried to make the change as soon as the pricing was revised, rather than just thinking about it... whoops!

Edit: Looking at the spec sheet, it looks as though the R36 comes with an upgraded sound system anyway. This makes me feel a bit better :)

Northy
02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Call up my dealer today to see how things are progressing and my sales guy no longer works there....and my order hadn't been assigned to anyone :confused:

Steve
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
That's not good! Hopefully it's still on the way though. What did they say?

I just had a quick look at it at the motor show here... wow. Even better than I was expecting. I'm really hanging out for this now.

RWK
02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Call up my dealer today to see how things are progressing and my sales guy no longer works there....and my order hadn't been assigned to anyone :confused:

I got some updates for you guys. I just been told by the WA VW delaer saying the R36 most likely will be available in Australia wide in the first quarter of 2009. That's why we still havent heard the VW announcing the official release date. Must be a story behind it.

Vene
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Highly unlikely given build weeks have already been assigned and the car is in dealer ordering systems. You might want to ask your dealer to double check his sources.

Steve
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Rumors... filthy rumors! :)

I hope :(

RWK
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Highly unlikely given build weeks have already been assigned and the car is in dealer ordering systems. You might want to ask your dealer to double check his sources.

Build week given to you doesnt mean you will get the car once it has been built. It all depends on VW Australia. As they still haven't announced the official release date. There must be some drama behind it and restricted them to do so. Anyway, good luck with your order. We all wanted to see the R36 on road ASAP but God knows.

Steve
02-04-2008, 01:17 PM
From memory, there was also a similar story with the Mark 5 GTI's and R32's when they were first ordered, but there wasn't a big delay in getting the first shipments here.

My theory is they don't know exactly when the ship will sail or exactly how long it'll take to get here, or how long it'll take the cars to get from the ship to the dealers... so it's easier to wait until they are ready to be collected rather than to just speculate and guess when they might show up.

Edit: Had a quick look under the R36 but didn't see any R32 style exhaust flapper.

RWK
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
From memory, there was also a similar story with the Mark 5 GTI's and R32's when they were first ordered, but there wasn't a big delay in getting the first shipments here.

My theory is they don't know exactly when the ship will sail or exactly how long it'll take to get here, or how long it'll take the cars to get from the ship to the dealers... so it's easier to wait until they are ready to be collected rather than to just speculate and guess when they might show up.

I understand where you are coming from but my point is. I also ordered my car in Feb 08. not R36 but TDI 125 though. My car also appeared on their order system of course. But I also got these details from the dealer.
Exit Plant Date : 2/4/2008
Arrival Date : 8/5/2008
The only difference between you and I is the one I ordered has already been released in Australia for years but the R36 obviously NOT. This is to do with the Australian compliance thingo. <- I rang up just then and I been told all these craps :) Seriously it has got nothing to do with the shipments if you go and check the schedule of the cargo, there are plenty of ships coming from Germany to Australia every week. Hope this info would help

Steve
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Does that means someone else has ended up with your car? :(

We'll see, I guess. A year is way too long to wait for a bloody Volkswagen!

Vene
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I tend to agree with Steve. ADR compliance should not play a part here as the 'car' has already been approved for import. The difference here is the engine. All other aspects of the car is no different to the other versions which as you mentioned is already on sale here.

You indicated you ordered your car in Feb and it arrived in May (3mth wait).....consider this, some have ordered the R36 in 07 and would've ended up waiting over close to 18mths for the car. The car was meant to have been on the market late 2007. For VW to delay it further would put existing orders at risk.

I reckon July delivery...........worse case Sept (as per earlier indication)

RWK
02-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I tend to agree with Steve. ADR compliance should not play a part here as the 'car' has already been approved for import. The difference here is the engine. All other aspects of the car is no different to the other versions which as you mentioned is already on sale here.

You indicated you ordered your car in Feb and it arrived in May (3mth wait).....consider this, some have ordered the R36 in 07 and would've ended up waiting over close to 18mths for the car. The car was meant to have been on the market late 2007. For VW to delay it further would put existing orders at risk.

I reckon July delivery...........worse case Sept (as per earlier indication)

No point to argue here as we all cannot control the delivery date. If it comes earlier than expected. It would be great for everyone who have been waiting for long time. I am just trying to tell you what I been told by the VW dealer after a long disucssion on the phone with the Sales Manager. The reason is that I am planning to place my order on the R36 as well but just wanna know more about the delivery date and this sort of stuffs. I finally convinced my wife to trade in our other car for the R36. So there will be 2 Black Passat sedans sitting in our garage very soon. One TDI and one R36. I am planning to option the car with the same specs that I ordered on my TDI 125 too.

We will wait and see what VW says hey.

Northy
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
spoke to my NEW sales guy today, my car is in the system and has had all the steps of the build allocated as well as shipment dates and arrival dates here in Aus, At this stage im looking at delivery in early July. :)

The also explained how the build allocation works, they will do a run of X cars of X spec, then they do a run of XX cars with XX spec, so depending on what you ordered will effect when you get it more then when you ordered it....

RWK
02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
spoke to my NEW sales guy today, my car is in the system and has had all the steps of the build allocated as well as shipment dates and arrival dates here in Aus, At this stage im looking at delivery in early July. :)

The also explained how the build allocation works, they will do a run of X cars of X spec, then they do a run of XX cars with XX spec, so depending on what you ordered will effect when you get it more then when you ordered it....

Nice to know. Thanks for the info Northy. I can refer this post to my dealer and push them a bit for the delivery date. Order just been placed an hour ago :P

Northy
02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice to know. Thanks for the info Northy. I can refer this post to my dealer and push them a bit for the delivery date. Order just been placed an hour ago :P

we went into the managers office and he showed me on his PC, its like a timeline table with all the details on the left and the assigned dates on the right....

RWK
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
we went into the managers office and he showed me on his PC, its like a timeline table with all the details on the left and the assigned dates on the right....

Thanks for info. As we all are on the same boat, it is good to update each other once you have any new info from dealers.

Vene
04-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Does anyone know how long the build takes? According to the timeline Cro indicated, doesn't leave much time for it to be built and delivered (that's a lot of ocean to cover in that time). Presumably there's a further 3 weeks wait when the car arrives to clear customs etc.

On a side note: can anyone confirm if the the Aust. euro plates fit the number plate section on the passat tailgate (wagon)?

Northy
04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know how long the build takes? According to the timeline Cro indicated, doesn't leave much time for it to be built and delivered (that's a lot of ocean to cover in that time). Presumably there's a further 3 weeks wait when the car arrives to clear customs etc.

On a side note: can anyone confirm if the the Aust. euro plates fit the number plate section on the passat tailgate (wagon)?

1 week start to finish.

R36 Dreamer
04-04-2008, 02:04 PM

I had my GTI delivered within 2 weeks of landing in Sydney.

The Euro plates def fit the wagon.

BUild is completed in about a week, however they need a car load before the ship leaves port, so the car can either be waiting on the docks for a month or a day depending on whether it is built just before the boat is due to leave or when there are very few vehicles.

My GTI was built end of April - Delivered mid June (from South Africa)

Wyatt
08-04-2008, 06:27 AM
G'day all. Newbie here. Will probably place my order this weekend for a blue sedan with RNS510 and sunroof. I've been searching the web for forums / websites for posts/info from people who actually own and drive these cars. I can't even find any proper reviews. Does anyone have any links?
Cheers
Wyatt.

Northy
08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
G'day all. Newbie here. Will probably place my order this weekend for a blue sedan with RNS510 and sunroof. I've been searching the web for forums / websites for posts/info from people who actually own and drive these cars. I can't even find any proper reviews. Does anyone have any links?
Cheers
Wyatt.

Thats because they are not on the road yet. You wont see one in a dealer for at least 6 months prolly more. Everyone here has ordered one without driving one.

Vene
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Handling shouldn't be too much different from the V6 version with sports suspension fitted (only with a lot more power). I test drove one before I placed my order. If the first shipment arrives as planned.......you should see some reviews on forums around July/Aug.

Steve
08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Cheers
Wyatt.
Where are you located? I'm sure that once they arrive somebody here with one near you can take you for a drive!

Vene
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Has anyone heard anything further re the bluetooth module for the RNS510? Now that the cars are close to production it seems less likely the module will be available (at least not in the first production run).

Wyatt
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm in the inner west of Sydney. I'm tossing up buying from Barloworld in Five Dock, who have been less than helpful but are close to my home, or the more helpful folk at Denlo in Parramatta.

The lease on my Mazda6 MPS expires in October, so if I want any chance of having a replacement in time I think I'll have to pre-order an R36. In that case, I don't think anyone will have a car to test drive before I slap down my deposit.

In lieu of a test drive I'm interested in reading some reviews/experiences of real people (or even journalists - do they qualify as real people?) who have driven the car. All I can find on the web is a re-hash of VW press releases. I assume that this car is available overseas so I'm surprised I can't find any forums with people discussing their real-life driving experiences.

Steve
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Has anyone heard anything further re the bluetooth module for the RNS510? Now that the cars are close to production it seems less likely the module will be available (at least not in the first production run).
I haven't, but I changed my order to remove the Parrot Bluetooth in anticipation of retrofitting the RNS510 module some time in the future.

I assume that this car is available overseas so I'm surprised I can't find any forums with people discussing their real-life driving experiences.
I don't think it's on the road anywhere yet. It's looking like Australia may be one of the first markets to receive them.

Wyatt
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think it's on the road anywhere yet. It's looking like Australia may be one of the first markets to receive them.

OK - that makes sense now.

I managed to score one of the first MPS's off the boat in Nov '05, so if I get my act together I might end up with one of the first R36's as well (after all you good folk, of course). It's good to feel the thrill of something new and exciting on it's way.

RWK
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
wow...another MPS6 owner looking into the Passat R36.....*High 5* to Wyatt

:) Sorry Steve :P

Steve
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
wow...another MPS6 owner looking into the Passat R36.....*High 5* to Steve

Not me... I'm coming from a VY Commodore/91 Landcruiser :)

Wyatt
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
wow...another MPS6 owner looking into the Passat R36.....*High 5* to Steve

I'll hi-5 you RWK. It's been a great run with the MPS6 but I'm tired with the manual and ready for an auto, and the DSG is about as good an auto as you can get.
Cheers
Wyatt.

RWK
08-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Post edited........I should get a new pair of specs. :P

Sorry Steve

RWK
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll hi-5 you RWK. It's been a great run with the MPS6 but I'm tired with the manual and ready for an auto, and the DSG is about as good an auto as you can get.
Cheers
Wyatt.

Exactly right. Thats another reason why I sell my MPS6 for the Passats. :)
Both I ordered are DSG. I am tired with the manual too especially in heavy traffics on Freeway every morning.

Vene
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Any thoughts re new A4 Avant? Engine options don't inspire. The 2.7 diesel seems to be available for the sedan only leaving the 2.0d for the Avant. Performance is non-existant compared to the R36. Range topping V6 might be an interesting drive but I'm not sure I could justify the additional cost. Like the other premium brands (Lexus excl.) you'd need to spend nearly 40-50% more on options to get respectable equipment levels.

Not sure if the official price list has been released but to equip an A4 Avant with similar specs to the R36, I'm expecting an approx. drive away price close to $120-$130 (top of the line V6 version ofcourse). Quite sure it won't get close to the R36 performance wise........is it worth the extra $$$?

Steve
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Probably not... although the new A4's do look very sweet, but it's still an A4.

If I had the coin, I'd be ordering a new RS6... the last A4 wagon I looked at wasn't quite big enough.

R36 Dreamer
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Not sure if the official price list has been released but to equip an A4 Avant with similar specs to the R36, I'm expecting an approx. drive away price close to $120-$130 (top of the line V6 version ofcourse). Quite sure it won't get close to the R36 performance wise........is it worth the extra $$$?

If it was my money, I would be buying an a6 allroad for that money - they look tops.

Problem is when you look at 100-130k for a car it opens up a hell of a lot of options - X5, 530 Wagon, E Class Wagon, etc. etc. not to mention some hellraising local stuff like the HSV GTS Sportswagen, F6 Typhoon (Territory). Just goes ballistic in the 80-130k segment.

I am more than satisfied with the bang for bucks the R36 will deliver (and I dont think I would get the 530i wagon past the minister for finance -my wife!!)

Steve
09-04-2008, 01:20 PM
The A6 Allroad is weird. It's basically a Q7 that's lower and different looking, and way more expensive.

The three litre turbo diesel Allroad is $20000 more than the Q7 with the same engine. All tax.

R36 Dreamer
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
The A6 Allroad is weird. It's basically a Q7 that's lower and different looking, and way more expensive.

The three litre turbo diesel Allroad is $20000 more than the Q7 with the same engine. All tax.

I still love it though.....

Unfortunately it is the same for a few cars - for example the Outback is cheaper than the comparable Liberty as it is jacked up.

I would have thought the Allroad would qualify for the lower tarrif being quattro and raised in the suspension. The tariff is cut from 10% to 5%, although as you say it is 20k more.... Cant work out why

Vene
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
While we're on the topic of pricing....consider this; based on the prices over the last 5 years of imported cars, none have actually changed significantly (except some price reductions for some lexus models prob as they're not selling as well as the german brands). In fact, they're creeping up as new models are being introduced (i.e. A4, 3 series etc).

Here's the thing......the AUD has improved massively over the last 5 years yet none of that improvement has hit consumer's pockets. Who else feels shortchanged? :?

R36 Dreamer
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
While we're on the topic of pricing....consider this; based on the prices over the last 5 years of imported cars, none have actually changed significantly (except some price reductions for some lexus models prob as they're not selling as well as the german brands). In fact, they're creeping up as new models are being introduced (i.e. A4, 3 series etc).

Here's the thing......the AUD has improved massively over the last 5 years yet none of that improvement has hit consumer's pockets. Who else feels shortchanged? :?

Looking at the Euro over the past 5 years gets the following Data

Average (1103 days): 1.64362
High: 1.74540
Low: 1.54740

Not a big difference - however if you compare the USD there is a big difference, which is why Holdens Export program is ramping up, and lots more US built cars are coming in.

Steve
12-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Call me dedicated... I ordered one of these today: http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=257&category_id=60

Wyatt
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Deposit placed today on a blue R36 sedan with sunroof and RNS510. Will find out the ETA early next week.

Steve
12-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Nice one :)

Wyatt
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Now the wait begins...

Wyatt
15-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Delivery date is estimated for "late August".

R36 Dreamer
15-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Delivery date is estimated for "late August".

I was told on Friday it should be mid July - Barloworld VW in Mascot.

If the cars are built April, it is unreasonable to accept delivery 4 months on - it will mean that cars being built in May and Early June are being delivered at the same time.

My gut feeling is July.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking.....

Either way I have told the dealer I need a months notice as I am not sure how long it will take to sell the Mk5 GTI, which I need to recoup $33k for to payout the lease.

So the dealer has promised me I will be notified as soon as delivery is known. He is holding 12 orders for R36, and is copping a lot of grief from everyone on delivery date (some have had cars on order for nearly 12 months!!!)

Wyatt
15-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I only ordered mine last weekend, so I'm not too upset about an August delivery - especially when the lease on the MPS6 doesn't expire until the end of October.

RWK
15-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I went to my VW dealer on last Saturday and said to me that they were told by VWA that its unlikely to have the R36 here before October. If you guys been told that you are getting delivery by July or anything like that. You better check up with VWA. As I sent an email to them and ask about the R36on last Sunday and got a reply just then saying the date is not yet confirmed and most likely "4th quarter of 2008". So I guess I will trust VWA more than your dealer said. I know this news is gonna disappoint most of us here but we can't really do much about it right.

Steve
15-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I can cancel my order and get a 135i instead :(

I haven't heard anything more than "week 15" build... :|

RWK
15-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I don't think any of us would be able to get the car before Oct anyway. R36 Dreamer could be the only one in Aust to get his before Oct. He's lucky.....

R36 Dreamer
16-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I don't think any of us would be able to get the car before Oct anyway. R36 Dreamer could be the only one in Aust to get his before Oct. He's lucky.....

Delusional is probably a more apt description.... I am a dreamer after all!!j:j:

Vene
16-04-2008, 09:18 AM

RWK you might want to check with your dealer again. My dealer is also telling me July delivery (*high five* R36 Dreamer j:). This is based on the order tracking system they've got. My car is getting painted next week and will be ready for shipping end of April. Expected arrival in Australia end of June and delivered mid July.

It could be because you placed your order more recently compared to some of our orders being placed much earlier in the year or even last year. The July delivery is the first batch of cars arriving in Oz....

We should organise a drive day.....:)

showoff
16-04-2008, 09:20 AM
There was one sitting out side patricks yesterday, with r36 in big chrome letters on the side of it............ was nice..... must be the first demo.