PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of questions (Jetta 2012) + P plate exemption

PhiLep
24-06-2012, 02:30 AM
I've been looking at the 2012 118tsi Jetta (auto) and have so many questions that I could write an essay. I've underlined my questions if you can't be bothered reading my situation.

So I've just gotten my red P-plates and am looking to purchase one from a dealership. It's my understanding that the 118tsi Jetta is classed as a low performance supercharged/turbocharged vehicle and an exemption from vicroads is required.

-Has anyone gotten an exemption for the jetta (or any other turbo/super charged vehicle) on red P plates?
and What is the likelihood of receiving an exemption (for the Jetta)?

I've heard mixed opinions on what is required for the application. The application only asks for MY details and the details of the vehicle owner.
- Am I required to write a cover letter stating my reasons for wanting the exemption (e.g. for work, only car in family) or do I just fill out the sections in the application and send it as is?

- If a reason is required, I could claim that the car is a work car (it will be registered to my parents business) and that I have to drive it as a condition of my employment. If I was successful with this, would the exemption state specific hours that I would be permitted to drive the vehicle (e.g. 8AM-6PM)?
Others have told me that this is the case.

- Does the vehicle owner section refer to the current vehicle owner (VW dealership garage - unregistered vehicle) or the future owner of the vehicle (on the basis that the exemption is granted)?
The rep at the dealership told me the vehicle owner section refers to the future vehicle owner of the car and not the dealership (even if it hasn't been purchased yet).

Also I know that for prohibited vehicles (such as the GLI or GTI) the exemption application has a section where a reason needs to be stated in writing for the exemption, maybe people are confusing the prohibited vehicle application with the restricted vehicle application?

(Note: VicRoads lists prohibited vehicles as "Banned" and restricted vehicles as "Application Required").

Also, on May 31st a change to the turbo law was made that states any low performance turbocharged vehicle (Power-to-mass ratio less than 130kw) does not need any exemption or application providing that the manufacturer build plate states the power-to-mass ratio in the format of PMR XXX-XXX

e.g. From VicRoads
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/407EA64A-8765-4A7D-A51F-2EAD578037DD/0/Labeldetail.JPG

Does the 2012 Jetta build plate state the power-to-mass ratio (like above.. PMR XXX)?

Also, I have spoken VicRoads customer service over the telephone and most of the guys are completely clueless when it comes to exemptions and what is required.

Now for the questions about the Jetta itself..

The dealership is offering me a drive-away price of $28,950 for the trendline model. The deal is limited and ends on July 1st (end of financial year).

- Is $28,950 a good price for the trendline model and what is the usual RRP and the "bargained-down" price?

- What extras can be installed on the trendline model?

- What are the key differences between the 118TSI and the TDI?

Any other general advice in regards to the Jetta and purchasing the Jetta from a dealership will also be greatly appreciated :)

PhiLep
24-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Sorry for the long ass post

Ryan_R
24-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Not an expert on this but I would recommend including an official brochure cut-out showing how the 118-TSI has 118 kW (less than 130) and obv weighs more than one tonne with your application. If the dealer wants to sell a car badly enough they might even provide you with an official letter confirming this in the meantime (I'm sure they'll eventually have PMR stickers). Then once everything is sorted out get a Stage 1 ECU software tune loaded and increase your PMR :D

I won't comment on the other Q's since I have a Golf Comfortline and am not 100% sure if everything is the same for the Passat.

PhiLep
24-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Not an expert on this but I would recommend including an official brochure cut-out showing how the 118-TSI has 118 kW (less than 130) and obv weighs more than one tonne with your application. If the dealer wants to sell a car badly enough they might even provide you with an official letter confirming this in the meantime (I'm sure they'll eventually have PMR stickers). Then once everything is sorted out get a Stage 1 ECU software tune loaded and increase your PMR :D

I won't comment on the other Q's since I have a Golf Comfortline and am not 100% sure if everything is the same for the Passat.

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I may just do that and I'm sure the dealership could provide some official documentation, I didn't even think of that. I did get the dealership to stamp my application with their logo/address for whatever reason that might help.

and I'll probably skip on the ECU upgrade for a while, I've heard it voids the warranty and that's one of the main reasons I'm getting it from dealership and not used :(

Ryan_R
24-06-2012, 11:53 PM
I've had APR for 2 years with no problem. Got warranty work being done as well on the car as well.

Hope all goes well getting the VW. I was pretty happy to drive a cheap car on my P's and then got the Golf after as a bit of a present to myself :)

PhiLep
25-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I might have a look into that then, I'd be happy with driving a cheaper car also but my parents insist on purchasing a new car so that they can get a rebate through registering it on business and also for the warranty, etc.

I've seen '99 Passat's with leather interior (beige), working sunroof, <135,000 km.. going for $7K on carsales. Amazing how cheap some of the older VWs go for.

ziggyboy
28-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Can't comment about your first few questions as I’ve been driving for over 10 years. LOL. No idea about P plate laws these days…

I've got the exact same car. Got it for $29,300 driveaway but mine came with the RCD510 touchscreen radio. It’s worth $400 brand new from non-official channels so getting it for $400 from VW which comes with official warranty is a good deal IMHO. The RRP of this car is about $34,000 driveaway. Just to confirm we’re talking about the 118TSI DSG (Auto) Trendline.

I know it’s none of my business but if you’re only on your P’s and need a brand new car, I suggest settling for something where you wouldn’t have to worry about restrictions and all that. Get the cheapest model Mazda 3 Auto or something? Be mindful that you have to INSURE this car. Not sure how much you’ll be up for with this car + a P plate license!

PhiLep
04-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks for everyones help,
I received a letter today that says

"
I refer to your application received 27th June 2012, requesting an exemption to drive a turbocharged or supercharged vehicle.

The vehicle nominated in your application form, 2012 Volkswagen Jetta 118TSI 4 cylinder turbocharged automatic sedan, can be driven by a probationary driver providing an exemption letters has been issued by VicRoads.

Once you have purchased the vehicle, please contact [removed] on (Telephone: [removed]) and provide her with the vehicle's details and then an exemption letter will be forwarded to you."

Guess that means I got the exemption :)
Hope this helps any other P-plates out there seeking an exemption.

Ryan_R
04-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Congrats mate, no doubt you'll enjoy it.