PDA

View Full Version : MK3 spacers

bombsquad21
27-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Has anyone had any experiance with wheel spacers? I would like to space the back out about 20mm and the front 10mm or so...is it possible to just buy spacers that act like washers to space the wheels out and get longer wheel bolts or is there a better way to look at the issue? I know there are some bolt-on kits available also, but they seem quite expensive.

Also anyone who's running a lowered MK3 what kinda set up do you have?

Thanks

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/bombsquad21/DSC00891.jpg

Golf Loon
27-03-2006, 08:44 PM
They are Illegal in lots of states, but I have used em and never had a problem. Make sure they are good quality, as you dont want em to shatter.

vee_dub
27-03-2006, 09:50 PM
u want those one which attracts to the hub....n then u screw the bolt on the spacer..hehe they call wheel adaptor.

I never experience on of those..but i heard non wheel adaptor one sometime vibrate n rattle, eventually shatter.

anyway liek this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/03/BMW2020E3020Styling2020Wheel20Adapters20-1.jpg

syncro
27-03-2006, 09:57 PM
u want those one which attracts to the hub....n then u screw the bolt on the spacer..hehe they call wheel adaptor.

Those ones are very illegal......

Some cars are allowed to have spacers e.g. Porsche, Torana XU1

DVR68U
27-03-2006, 11:46 PM
yeah i was lookin to space my wheels out , if u didnt want to run spacers them u could get different et wheels, but there prob illegal aswell lol , just run the spacers and try not to hit anyone lol
cheers brenton

golf3
28-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I have 8mm "hub centric" wheel spacers with BBS extended lugs!

And i have 15mm ones with extended lugs coming tomorrow..(UPS tried to deliver them today)

Make sure you get the hub centric ones as the hub is apparently load bearing...

If the spacer is T.U.V approved, it will be ok as the european standards are a lot higher than ours!

So, tomorrow, 8mm on front and 15mm on back..
I have 17x7 with et42...

I might post pics!

syncro
28-03-2006, 06:18 PM
If they're TUV approved for your car they would be perfectly safe.

Still illegal...............

Tim
28-03-2006, 06:40 PM
yeah in victoria the law states youre not allowed to have anything between the face of the wheel and the hub unless it was put there by the manufacturer. Not those exact words. But words to that effect. So it rules out legally running any sort of spacer.

Doesnt stop some of us tho :twisted:

Golf Loon
28-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah the laws in NSW are the same, my Ibiza still got through engineering with the spacers on the front wheel. I`d argue they were part of the conversion though and are needed to clear the brakes.

alex g
28-03-2006, 07:27 PM
i run them on all 4 on my cars no worries at all h&r trak adapter ones are the nicest

bombsquad21
28-03-2006, 08:20 PM
well, it appears that I can at least confirm that they are illegal.. :wink: anyways it sounds like alot of people still run with them, can anyone fill me in on the costs and where to grab a set?.. Now whilst we're on the subject of all things illegal how about some low riding golf3's? I was almost going to go the "super low king springs" with koni shocks route, but have decided it may not be low enough, i guess i can blame www.vwvortex.com for that. So if anyone has any stories good or bad?? Also lets see some lowered and or spaced GOLF 3's..

Thanks
Luke

p.s golf3 are u selling your 8mm? i bet they are 5 stud right?

golf3
28-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Not selling the 8mm yet...
And they are 4x100.

My car is in the workshop at the moment...
So when it comes back, should be tomorrow, i'll fit up the 15mm in the back and 8mm front...If it requires too much fender rolling, then i may sell them...

Check ebay for wheel spacers...

I got my 15mm with lugs for $165 shipped from the states from the seller "rennsportus"...
He shipped really quickly as i paid on thursday via paypal, and now its tuesday and the UPS man came today...

Wait till i see them and i will post pics!!

On the matters of ride height...
I'd probably say get a euro brand:

vee dub has h&r cup kit 60/40

i have a set of eibach pro kit springs and i will go get some koni yellows soon i think. I will keep the eibach as i just got a cool new eibach strut brace...

Golf Loon
28-03-2006, 09:18 PM
i run them on all 4 on my cars no worries at all h&r trak adapter ones are the nicest

All 4 of your cars! You are as bad as me bro.

Golf Loon
28-03-2006, 09:20 PM
well, it appears that I can at least confirm that they are illegal.. :wink: anyways it sounds like alot of people still run with them, can anyone fill me in on the costs and where to grab a set?.. Now whilst we're on the subject of all things illegal how about some low riding golf3's? I was almost going to go the "super low king springs" with koni shocks route, but have decided it may not be low enough, i guess i can blame www.vwvortex.com for that. So if anyone has any stories good or bad?? Also lets see some lowered and or spaced GOLF 3's..

Thanks
Luke

p.s golf3 are u selling your 8mm? i bet they are 5 stud right?

Sydney Roads are pretty rough mate. Beware the low riding Golf.

bombsquad21
29-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Yeah Sydney roads are ordinary, I travel about 70km a day to get to and from work in and also get some suspect road surfaces. But my car, especially the front and especially when its got anything but brand new tyres, must have the biggest 4x4 wheel arch gap in the western world. It's gotta be 4inches easy...no 25mm "lowered" stance is gonna help. How can VW finish buliding my car and be happy with the "on stilts" like stance :D . On a somewhat related matter, does anyone agree the new Mazda MX5 suffers from a horrible case of "production car lift"? it looks like an amphibious vehicle that could tackle both sand and surf!!

golfvr6
29-03-2006, 08:36 AM
bombsquad:

if you intend to change your wheels - try an ET 35 with a 7 inch wide wheel - instant 'widening' and no illegal spacers required (standard ET is probably 42mm). just watch the potholes if you are in sydney. any more and i dare say you are going to need arch work.

i have lowered my golf 3 with spax springs with the above and now have about a 1-2 inch gap all round. nicely lowered but not too low - still scrape driveways and speed humps if not taken carefully.

I wouldn't recommend going for the fully pimped slammed ride if you are in sydney as you will be ripping off your bumpers and doing arch folding

I'll try and post some photos soon to give you an idea

bombsquad21
29-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm not horribly concerned about having a low...low vehicle, I've had some low stuff in the past, but using struts with super low springs really doesn't do anything for the ride, the handling tends to suffer on roads in Brisbane too. I think a 16 x7 with a 35ET might do the trick, i guess if i'm not happy with that i'll look further into spacers...GolfVR6 how does your car ride just with the spax springs in?

golfvr6
30-03-2006, 08:23 AM
re the ride: lets say it is firm (funny enough the ride is better on 17's than the std 15's - so go figure) ; my passengers would probably say 'uncomfortable' on anything other than the freeways :lol:
i've lived with it for 7 years now (gees time flies - seems like yesterday i got it done) - and still going well

shocks and springs probably the way to go though if you can afford it although i have never ridden in a mk3 with the works

golfvr6
30-03-2006, 02:21 PM
some pics...

http://img5.picsplace.to/img5/20/thumbs/guard2.jpg (http://img5.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img5/20/guard2.jpg)
http://img5.picsplace.to/img5/20/thumbs/rearguard.jpg (http://img5.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img5/20/rearguard.jpg)

http://img10.picsplace.to/1/thumbs/rear2.jpg (http://img11.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img10/1/rear2.jpg)

bombsquad21
31-03-2006, 03:24 AM
thanks for the pics golfvr6, now that looks certainly looks a million times better than my 4x4 stance. Do vr6's naturally sit lower? i know the lip is deeper but are they lower on the guards? Also what kind of drop is specified for those type of springs, 40mm? I know it's seven years ago so it would have come down even lower. 17's help too...

Fred, you should post some more pics of your 2.0 with the cup kit...

golfvr6
31-03-2006, 09:17 AM
i *think* the vr6's were 10mm lower all round or thereabouts on the 2.0GL at the time.

from memory the drop was 30mm - sound about right?

the deep lip adds to the effect - i think tim had one available a little while ago from some grou purchase on the vortex - not sure if he does anymore

Tim
31-03-2006, 09:55 AM
all sold sorry.

We can always get more if there is enough interest. They come in from TM tuning in germany.