PDA

View Full Version : Delivered and driving

de7158
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I'am a happy little Aussie...driving not dreaming now. 1500kms so far.

The Eos was a complete surprise for my wife Lin. Dealer was happy to assist.

She thought we were buying the "new" Honda diesel (no such animal yet in Aus) to be delivered on the Friday.

On my cue, dealer rang Lin up on the Tuesday and explained that she had won a promotion. She was to draw out of a hat to win the prize of any car on the VW showroom floor for a four day useage. Part of VW's "Heels in Wheels" promotion for ladies only. (might have to copyright that expression) Walked into showroom and low and behold, there was the Eos holding centre court...top down and looking pretty outstanding. Dealer did a great job of showing all of the cars to Lin. She of course wanted to "win" the Eos and not the Passat, Golf, Polo or Jetta. As all cards in the hat were Eos, Lin (to her surprise) drew out the Eos card. Lin was so excited, dealer couldn't keep a straight face and he had to turn away...then he went through the whole delivery thing with Lin as a "duty of care". He took about half hour to explain operations of the Eos to Lin.

Best part was they fitted Lin's personal plates under the pretext of wanting her to use the car fully for the next four days as she had to answer 20 questions when she took the car back. None the wiser, Lin drove out... she was supposed to do all the driving for the next four days. That was on a Tuesday afternoon. Was interesting listening to her objective comments about the car. She loved it.....although that wasn't a surprise! When she said she would tell anyone she came into contact with, she would recommend the Eos as a car to buy, i knew she was going to be one happy camper when she found out. She did say she would still be happy with her new "Honda"....i was in no doubt she had only said that so as to not hurt my feelings.

Family & friends managed to play along with the story until Thursday. Lin showed a friend (who wasn't in the know) the car and explained the story behind the "prize".
Friend looked at me, then she looked at Lin and said "you're not that gullible are you. This is your new car". Then i had to convince Lin it really was her car. To say she was happy was an understatment. Lin's not gullible but she was certainly trusting.

Made a decision 12 months ago to buy Lin an Eos after following the launch in both Europe and NA. Quite happy as Eos was "consumer tested" in Germany & NA for 12 months before they were delivered in Aus. Ordered Eos in January 2007 with delivery in July. Don't mind saying that it was the hardest thing i have ever done... keeping a secret from Lin. Kids were all in the know as were several mates.
Good fun....enjoyed surprising her.

OWNERSHIP
Noticed when washing the Eos, a small amount of fine diesel soot is on lower half on car from front door back....and slightly worse on the lower section of the boot and under. PDF my arse. Not as bad as a GQ Patrol i had 13 years ago....still cleaning soot of stuff that was stored in the same garage space.

Have a couple of buzzes in the cabin....one directly behind gearlever in front of centre console, and another louder one behind glovebox. Gearbox one is a rev/load thing....happens when motor loads up...say 2nd gear staring to pull up a hill. Nothing to sour the experience.....will leave it for a couple of weeks or so to settle in to see if any new ones develop, before booking it in to the dealers .

Had a couple of problems first day.

1. Couldn't load CD's into player....thought i would blame VW straight away for that. Counted to ten, as i was a still a bit excited from it all. CD player is smarter than me.....just had to wait for cue on display. My mistake.

2. Quick read of owner manual before i went to sleep. (what do you mean...doesn't everyone) Discovered no switch for rain sensor wipers on my EOS :confused: Woke up next morning and re-read manual....another operator fault. Intermittent position on non rain sensing cars is our rain sensor position. Makes sense. Pretty happy with only those 2 stuffups as i am quite capable of making more. In my younger days i probably would have make a complete arse of myself at the dealer. Now i would send wife into dealership to sort out those "problems"! Surprised MFD doesn't display ID 10T code every time i hop in.

Carefully lubed seals with VW part as per manual. Not done by dealer at PDI. Certainly makes a difference.....weather has been cold and dry.....so the seals understandably will have a tendency to make a noise. All's well now.

Love the diesel TDI DSG combination. Torque rules....i don't need to drive fast...just want to feel like i am. Leaving DSG in sport mode to assist with breaking in process.

Reeeeeally love the Dynaudio. Even Barry Manilow would sound great!

IMO 18" Samarkands with sports suspension give great handling with minimal compromise in ride. Pictures don't do justice to the Samarkand wheels. They are outstanding in real life and easy to clean.

Bi-Xenons with cornering ability are as cool as a cucumber but alot more usefull.

Heated red Nappa seats are a nice touch. Bit like peeing in your wetsuit....nice warm feeling that no one gets to share.

Didn't worry about SatNav. VW system is a bit pricy & outdated with the use of a CD that will need updating (read costs). Also worked out to be an unrealistic option as the included costs would have pushed up the LCT on the Eos.

Car is much prettier in real life. Photos don't do it justice....know how that feels.

Top down motoring in the Eos is undoubtedly its forte. Don't have the rear windblocker...... i know it would make a difference as you get a little bit of wind coming back through the gap between the front seats....i'll wait and see how it goes. Pulled up beside a Peugeot 307 CC....IMO i like the lower boot line and the clean lines of the Eos.

Mentioned to Lin about future chipping of the TDI....she asked all about the process, results and costs.....not necessarily in that order.....then said "that sounds like a fun idea." Mmmmmmm not sure if i feel the need, but nice to know i have been given the tick.

Anyway that's enough of the techinical stuff.

So the big question...Am i happy with the Eos.....hell yeh. :D

Peter

VW Convert
01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Peter,

That's a great story indeed, don't know how you managed to keep the secret for so long, I know I couldn't.

I'm following closely the experiences of Eos owners with a view to replacing the Jetta with an Eos when the lease expires in 09. I hope you will continue to share your experiences and if they are anything like mine with the Jetta I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly.

Happy motoring.

Cheers

George

neil
01-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Great read Peter.
Hope all goes well.
neil.

Subie25L
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Great read Peter.
Hope all goes well.
neil.

Nice one mate :)

Hope you were rewarded appropriately :D

sydeos
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey Peter

So glad you and Lin are happy with the Eos. Although I am sure that playing Barry Manilow on the Dynaudio System would be a crime in any other state than the home of the "White Shoe Brigade" :D

Interesting that you didn't get the rear wind blocker, guess I was just lucky but there again it is less of an issue in a Queensland winter.

Guess we might have to get the twins together at some stage, btw where are the pics :)

gtimk5
01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Good on you Peter. You spoiled your wife mate! Excellent reading. I hope you enjoy that Eos as much as she will.
Cheers, Andrew :)

de7158
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Guess we might have to get the twins together at some stage, btw where are the pics :)

Was going to take some pictures but couldn't find where to plug the USB port in my Box Brownie.

Leigh's pics are as good as any i've seen and as it's so close to his Eos it wouldn't look any different. So go to his site http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x217/sydeos/ and photoshop
1. Delete exhaust pipes
2. Install "T" on gear lever with + and -
3. Throw a bit of walnut around dash and doors.
oops...nearly forgot....and change lamps in front lights.

If that doesn't suit, might be able to download a couple photos of myself draped in different poses across the bonnet of the Eos in a pair of Speedos. Visual for all .... chiselled body (maybe more jackhammered) with a well balanced proportion....by that i mean, height and girth the same....and the best bit....more body hair than a red-arsed baboon. Just let me know. :D

Nice one mate :)

Hope you were rewarded appropriately

We both had a good night, coincidently both had the same dream........Lin dreaming of me....amd me dreaming of me also. Reckon after buying the Eos for Lin, it'll give me enough brownie points (with my track record ;)) to last me till the end of this year.

Cheers
Peter

VW Convert
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Reckon after buying the Eos for Lin, it'll give me enough brownie points (with my track record ;)) to last me till the end of this year.

Cheers
Peter

Don't count on it Peter, women forget the good things you do in a day but NEVER forget anything else you may do! j:

Cheers

George

phaeton
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Congrats Peter and Lin ;) if your reading :D

gtimk5
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Been thinking about you getting the Eos. I hope that you arent ending the drought up there by buying a cabrio!!! :D:D
Andrew :)

Golf Loon
07-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Good reading. Enjoy the Eos and show us a pic.

de7158
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Enjoying the Eos so far. At this point in time it's the only free roaming Eos in the village. Two are held in captivity at the dealers...Wheat Beige and a Paprika Red.

Bit of a shock the first time i wiped over the back seats......looked like there was a section of stitching that had been missed half way up the back in the leather. Checked out other side and it was the same. :confused:.... must send Lin in to check that one out with the dealer ;) Thought i should try last resort and read the owners manual . Aussie supplement described this horizontal gap in seats as access for top attatchment for Aussie child seats. You actually have to slide your hand through split and downwards to locate anchor point for top strap of child seat. phew... another disaster averted. :)

At one point in time i was looking at sourcing from overseas (still waiting for approval in australia) a Isofix or Latch type child car seat for the grandkids as that was all that had been mentioned for the Eos in the NA & UK forums. Split in rear seat is quite a simple solution from VWA, as due to the active roll over protection with the auto popup roll bars in the Eos you can't use the usual top anchor belt on a child seat.

Averaging 7.7 lts 100k's .. fuel light comes on around 680km (~ 37 Mpg TDI DSG) during break-in period. Happy with that as we're mainly city driving with gearbox in sport mode to keep revs up in acceleration and deceleration.

Weather has been ideal for drop top motoring, clear sunny days with day temps around 15-20C ....not so good if your're a farmer though.

Peter

phaeton
08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Good to hear everythings going well Peter ;) and that split in the rear seat was meant to be in the car phew :D

Isofix seats would be safer than whatever we have here I'd guess, as Euro rules are stricter ???

ope126
09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Carefully lubed seals with VW part as per manual. Not done by dealer at PDI. Certainly makes a difference.....weather has been cold and dry.....so the seals understandably will have a tendency to make a noise. All's well now.

Excellent choice in vehicles there mate! :D

Quick question though; what is the VW Lube that you talk about?
Do you have a part number?
Is it just for convertables, or is it for general door rubber seals?

Thanks.

de7158
09-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Excellent choice in vehicles there mate! :D

Quick question though; what is the VW Lube that you talk about?
Do you have a part number?
Is it just for convertables, or is it for general door rubber seals?

Thanks.

It's a Dupont product Krytox GPL 105 (? most likely) sold under VW part G 052 172 A1. Is specified as rubber seal lube for Eos convertible, but can be used a general fix it for any like situation.

I think it was around $85.00 for 30ml.....should last for three full lubes. Not sure if it's any cheaper at Audi.

Cheers
Peter

melbeos
13-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi Peter, did you buy the Krytox lubricant from the VW dealer? l picked up my car last weekend and noticed the seals drying out. Ask the dealer and he quoted me $155 per bottle. Am l getting ripped off or should they all be charging the same price?

Since you have done the lubrication process, can l ask a dumb question - when you did your roof, did you stop the roof opening whilst in motion to access all areas? l've read a thread in the VWVortex site which explains doing that way, but is it advisable? Do you stop the opening process and turn the key to the off position and when done turn on the ignition and press the 'roof close' button to complete the sequence? is there any issues with the roof not wanting to complete the process?

thanks

rob

de7158
13-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Peter, did you buy the Krytox lubricant from the VW dealer? l picked up my car last weekend and noticed the seals drying out. Ask the dealer and he quoted me $155 per bottle. Am l getting ripped off or should they all be charging the same price?

Since you have done the lubrication process, can l ask a dumb question - when you did your roof, did you stop the roof opening whilst in motion to access all areas? l've read a thread in the VWVortex site which explains doing that way, but is it advisable? Do you stop the opening process and turn the key to the off position and when done turn on the ignition and press the 'roof close' button to complete the sequence? is there any issues with the roof not wanting to complete the process?

thanks

rob

Paid $83.96 (that's Queensland dollars though ) for 30mls on the 16th July 2007. If $155.00 (is that Mexican currency coming into play ?) is what they're charging at your dealership, i could save you some money.......you can buy of me....i would let you have it for say $150.00.... is that a good deal or what.

Seriously you probably need to ring around as it sounds like your dealership is having a go at you.

I've lubed my seals (there's a joke in there if i lived in Antartica ) .... pretty easy job....followed instructions on http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297
....a little goes a long way. Resist temptation of one drop is good....two drops are twice as good. Once you start applying lube you'll quickly work out the amount and how far a drop goes, particularly if you spread it on the paint and glass!

Used my fingers to apply krytox....now have the softest cuticles in Aus!

Waited until side arms were open about halfway back...then released open/close control and turned of ignition. Found if you released control too soon or too late, roof would just slowly inch to nearest position... ie either open or closed. A bit of trial and error... but you'll soon find the sweet spot to stop. Roof doesn't move if you're in the sweet spot....although i think warning chimes are still active. Chimes turn off after a minute or so. Just turn ignition back on and use control to close or open roof depending what sequence the roof was in when you first turned ignition off.

As i still have a few "noise issues" with my roof, this morning i had a closer look to see if i could find any "wear" spots that needed re-lubing. This morning the first time i stopped the roof i had released control too early and roof stopped , then just slid back to closed position. You'll get plenty of notice and everything happens quite slowly.

My Eos (235/40 R18 Samarkands on sports suspension) struggles with cabin noise on that coarsely chipped road surface. At one stage i thought i had a plague of crickets and cicadas loose in the car.....with the odd christmas beetle trying to sing in harmony. Both Lin and i looked at each other with alternating raised eyebrows and furrowed brows during that section of road. At that point in time i was seriously thinking about replacing the 18 " with a set of more compliant 195/65 R16 wheels and tyres.:(

Have just completed (TDI, DSG, 3200km on clock) a decent country run of about 900km round trip. Worked out from fill, 6.4km per 100lt. (approx 46 mpg)

Peter

ope126
13-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info, that write up was excellent!
I will grab a bottle soon to re-lube the GTI...

Glenn

melbeos
13-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Peter, $150 sounds like a good price to me- does that include postage.? Seriously l think the dealer was trying to meet their monthly sales budget - l'd plan to ring around the other dealers and see what sort of price they are quoting but wanted to see what's the going price.

Thanks for the heads up on lubricating the seals.

Glad you and Lin are enjoying the car and having a great time.

l've got the 18" Chicago and no probs with cabin noise. hope you sort out the problem.

cheers

rob

sydeos
13-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey Rob I paid the same price as Peter here in Sydney so I would get the dealer to double check and then contact VW directly if they stick to that story. :)

As for the ride Peter have you checked the tire pressures as mine were 40 kpa higher than recommended on delivery?

de7158
14-08-2007, 07:11 AM
As for the ride Peter have you checked the tire pressures as mine were 40 kpa higher than recommended on delivery?

Good idea, must do that today....had asked dealer on handover if tyre pressures were right.....he said yes. Orchestra only seems to start up when driving over that really coarse chipped old surface.

Peter