PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Wino
31-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the site, thought I'd introduce myself (and our VW's .. I'll get a few pics up later)
any other aussies out there with a T4 syncro TDI dualcab? I bought it new and I have never seen another one on the road!

we also have an 04 V5 Bora with all the extras .. great little car, very comfy and handles good too (was sad to see the end of the V5, a great engine IMHO)

Cheers

Wino:smile:

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Wino, welcome to the forum, lots of good info and experience to tap into and a friendly crowd.

we also have an 04 V5 Bora with all the extras .. great little car, very comfy and handles good too (was sad to see the end of the V5, a great engine IMHO)

I have a friend who had a V5 Bora and I was lucky enough to score a test drive of it, not a bad car at all. ......have you ever driven a 2.0 TFSI?......heaven...... :D

Cheers

George

Wino
31-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Wino, welcome to the forum, lots of good info and experience to tap into and a friendly crowd.

I have a friend who had a V5 Bora and I was lucky enough to score a test drive of it, not a bad car at all. ......have you ever driven a 2.0 TFSI?......heaven...... :D

Cheers

George

yeah, took the TFSi for a test drive, we've had a few (non VW) turbo 4cly cars so I guess I'm abit more enamoured towards the V5 just because it's differant. Th ebora is out of lease at the end of the year, soo we're already looking at what to get next (that's if we don't loose too much money on the residual/trade of the bora)
ATM, a TDI caddy life camper DSG and some other extras looks like it is the front runner

99gti
31-07-2007, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Wino;70407]Hi all, I'm new to the site, thought I'd introduce myself (and out VW's .. I'll get a few pics up later)
any other aussies out there with a T4 syncro TDI dualcab? I bought it new and I have never seen another one on the road!

:[QUOTE]

Your not in Vic by anychance are you? I saw a nice white one the other day xx-666 or something like that I think the plates were....

Wino
31-07-2007, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Wino;70407]Hi all, I'm new to the site, thought I'd introduce myself (and out VW's .. I'll get a few pics up later)

:[QUOTE]

Your not in Vic by anychance are you? I saw a nice white one the other day xx-666 or something like that I think the plates were....

no, just outside of Canberra (so NSW rego) my T4 is white though (and bog stock)

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Th ebora is out of lease at the end of the year, soo we're already looking at what to get next (that's if we don't loose too much money on the residual/trade of the bora)

Yes I was concerned about resale value when I ordered the Jetta. Looking at data for the Bora concerned me, hoping like hell the trade in valuation will at least cover my residual when the lease is up!

Cheers

George

Wino
31-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes I was concerned about resale value when I ordered the Jetta. Looking at data for the Bora concerned me, hoping like hell the trade in valuation will at least cover my residual when the lease is up!

Cheers

George

you'll be fine with the jetta I recon.. the bora suffered terrible because VW aust knocked 10 grand of the price of the jetta when compared to the bora

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 01:35 PM
you'll be fine with the jetta I recon.. the bora suffered terrible because VW aust knocked 10 grand of the price of the jetta when compared to the bora

Yes, I don't think VW did themselves any favours with their Bora pricing and marketing strategy did they? And in the end it was the buyers who lost out with tumbling resale values. I'd be a little peeved if I were in that situation. :mad:

Cheers

George

Wino
31-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, I don't think VW did themselves any favours with their Bora pricing and marketing strategy did they? And in the end it was the buyers who lost out with tumbling resale values. I'd be a little peeved if I were in that situation. :mad:

Cheers

George

well remember when Holden dropped the price on the Adventurer.....Holden sent out refund checks to all the buyers. I love the VW cars, but I am not a fan of the way VW Australia do business at all.

Seano
31-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the site, thought I'd introduce myself (and our VW's .. I'll get a few pics up later)

Hey Wino...........welcome to the Dub.

You are not alone.

I have the same rig as you.

Bought it brand new in Sydney in early '02....the very last of the 01 models. And there was another right beside it when I picked it up. Your's would happen to have a Tip Top alloy tray and plates starting with ABP would it?

Mine is however no longer standard. It has been lifted slightly, has cruise control (the factory version that the factory doesn't know about), a customised Bocar bullbar and (when round town) alloy wheels. The tray has a removable ladder rack and I've had a canvas canopy custom made. The interior also sports custom made canvas seat covers.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/01/AlloyDOKAx-1.jpg

phaeton
31-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome to VWwA Wino j:

You have great taste in going after the Caddy Life Camper with TDI/DSG combo :o

Sad about your Bora experience unfortunately that was part of VGAs restructuring at that time, without it they would not be making record sales.

You can be assured they won't be doing that again anytime soon to my knowledge ;) :D

Wino
31-07-2007, 03:45 PM
got mine in about July 03

I've been trying to decide if I should keep my T4 or get something else .. if I keep it I will do some modifications for sure

Wino
31-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Welcome to VWwA Wino j:

You have great taste in going after the Caddy Life Camper with TDI/DSG combo :o

Sad about your Bora experience unfortunately that was part of VGAs restructuring at that time, without it they would not be making record sales.

You can be assured they won't be doing that again anytime soon to my knowledge ;) :D

that is horse sh#t! (no offence intended towards you personally )
VGA should have done the right thing and made an offer to people who bought the bora (just like holden did with those who bought the adventurer, for example)
Shafting existing costomers has never had anything to do with restructuring in my experience.

Seano
31-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I've been trying to decide if I should keep my T4 or get something else .. if I keep it I will do some modifications for sure

I've been going through the same wonderment of late. The biggest problem is the lack of a suitable alternative.....and the disasterous re-sale value of the T4.

The Iveco is a thing of envy but it is just going to be too expensive and not as everyday practical as the DOKA.

So I think I'll invest in modifying the DOKA.....things like a diesel/gas conversion, new front seats (some KAB suspension seats perhap), new centre console, undertray boxes, new sound system.......

phaeton
31-07-2007, 05:01 PM
that is horse sh#t! (no offence intended towards you personally )
VGA should have done the right thing and made an offer to people who bought the bora (just like holden did with those who bought the adventurer, for example)
Shafting existing costomers has never had anything to do with restructuring in my experience.

You'll have to forgive me for not reading all of the posts ;)

I didn't realise Holden sent refunds to owners when there was a change in pricing.

I now agree VGA should have done the same :)

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I didn't realise Holden sent refunds to owners when there was a change in pricing.

I now agree VGA should have done the same :)

I agree, they have certainly caused financial loss for those that bought prior to the price reduction. In the back of my mind I get the feeling that there are other precedents where in similar circumstances refunds have been made but there appears to be no legal obligation as can be seen the story detailed in this link where Hyundai dropped prices after a runout sale.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=29274

Cheers

George

Wino
31-07-2007, 05:45 PM
it has not soured me enough to totally discount the VW range in regards to future cars we purchase (in the space if 2yrs we bought $140k worth of VW only the bora was leased, the T4 and Golf were paid cash out of savings) ..but! it sure as hell left a bad taste in my mouth. And since we use the wifes car as a tax offset, the amount we spend on her car is continually going up... when she finds out how much her little bora isn't worth I think she'll march straight into the BMW dealer. So for the sake of a couple of grand, VGA won't see a toureg sale (for example) and this has a flow on effect, I like to keep my dealings with a single dealership (I usually find I get looked after much better by the dealer this way).. so I probably won't to upgrade to a T5....all this has nothing to do with the cars, or the service costs or the price of the new cars. I can't see how this has been a smart move on the part of VGA.

Just to make things clear, we love our VW's, they're great cars.

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Just to make things clear, we love our VW's, they're great cars.

Here here! I don't have issues with VW itself, but I could write a book about the issues I have had with dealerships. Right from the time I first walked in until today it has been a litany of incompetence. Only the fact that the car itself is just so damned good keeps me from turning away from VW.

Cheers

George

Wino
31-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree, they have certainly caused financial loss for those that bought prior to the price reduction. In the back of my mind I get the feeling that there are other precedents where in similar circumstances refunds have been made but there appears to be no legal obligation as can be seen the story detailed in this link where Hyundai dropped prices after a runout sale.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=29274

Cheers

George

at the risk of sounding like a winger...

this is not the first timer VGA has done this... remember the first of the R32's .. they were ~$85k!!!.. then dropped to ~$67 18 months or so later (I could be wrong on the time frame, but it wasn't a "long" time

that's it for me on the topic.. I'd much rather discuss the fine merits of these cars than harp on about thier pricing policy. Thanks to those who understood my need to have my little rant j:

ohhh.. in the VAG site there is an 03 passat W8 4motion .. I could really dig one of those !!:D
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/volkswagen_certified.about_welcome?display_flag=Se lectedUsedCars

VW Convert
31-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, we all need to get things off our chest from time to time but you are right, we should be focusing on the many positives of the worlld of VW.

Cheers

George

WEDEL.1
31-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Cheers

Wino:smile:

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but I know of a Red T4 Dual Cab Syncro that lives near Bendigo. I've driven it!

Maris

Wino
01-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but I know of a Red T4 Dual Cab Syncro that lives near Bendigo. I've driven it!

Maris

Near Canberra, mines bog stock white one....still got the Klebber (sp) tyres on the rear although they're due for replacement soon I can't complain they've lasted 115k km .. I can't seen to find anyone who sells them locally

Wino
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
A pic of my T4 .. doing what it dose best..:D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/vwwr360s-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/vwwr360sjpgt1185951166-2.jpg

phaeton
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Cool Doka T4 Wino :D

Wino
01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Cool Doka T4 Wino :D

thanks, even though it's stock, it's still kinda cool (to me..LOL) because there just aint that many around.
I can't work out why the image tags won't work on my photobucket account... any idea why?

phaeton
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
thanks, even though it's stock, it's still kinda cool (to me..LOL) because there just aint that many around.
I can't work out why the image tags won't work on my photobucket account... any idea why?

I'm a stockaholic :D :cool:

Fixed image too ;)

Wino
01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm a stockaholic :D :cool:

Fixed image too ;)

ahh, I see.. it don't like the little bit at the end of the url.. noted

Seano
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Great T4!! Congrats on the Klebers......mine only lasted 30,000km due to regular dirt road travel!! They aren't available in Australia.....no-one imports them.

I can however vouch for the Goodyear Cargo G26 and the GT Radial Maxmiler CX as good tyre options (stay away from stony dirt if you want long tyre life!!). Stay with the 195/70R15 size as the 205/65R15 is a little smaller so speedo goes out a bit and you lose a tiny amount of height.

My next tyres will probably be 205/70R15C - either Continental Vanco 8 or GT Radial Maxway. A little taller than the 195/70 but still within the 15mm variation rule.