PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Cover Gasket Replacement

anarchycamp
31-07-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm replacing my Rocker Cover Gasket (Courtesy of Mrs Loon :) ) this weekend.

The Haynes manual says the torque settings for the nuts is 10Nm although ive read that other people do it tighter, any thoughts?

Ive done a couple of these before but not on the Mk2, anything else I should look out for, or is it a simple experience?

Cheers

Simon

Golf Loon
31-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Sorry I missed you on the weekend mate.

I just nip em up, dont do em too tight and snap em, just enough so they are tight and dont leak.

anarchycamp
31-07-2007, 08:56 AM
No problems...ive got no doubt I will be harrasing you at some point soon :D

yeah I cant see the benefit of doing them too tight as there isnt too much force at work on any of those points, just read in a couple of spots about people taking it past the 10Nm to "make sure" there are no leaks.

I suppose, do them tight, if theres a leak at one point, tighten more. Makes sense.

aussieg60
07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
What sort of gasket are you using?

The Bentley says 10nm and thats what I did mine with a good quality torque wrench and it does not leak at all. My rocker cover uses a rubber gasket which are better and can be reused, also the sump gasket is of a rubber material, no leaks.

anarchycamp
07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Yep rubber gasket it is....hopefully should fix the leaks...

Tameth_au
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I replaced mine with a g60 rubber gasket years ago and havnt had a problem since. Just be careful that the metal studs/sleeves whatever you call them arent too thick and prevent the gasket from sealing. If they are you can easily remove them. Goodluck

anarchycamp
26-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I replaced mine with a g60 rubber gasket years ago and havnt had a problem since. Just be careful that the metal studs/sleeves whatever you call them arent too thick and prevent the gasket from sealing. If they are you can easily remove them. Goodluck

Got a slight leak still even though its nice and tight, might be those sleeves in the rubber gasket? Not sure....reckon I should try taking them out?

Tameth_au
26-09-2007, 01:03 PM
yep, pop em straight out. Just be careful you dont tear the rubber of the gasket.

walshydub
14-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Time to resurrect a long dead thread....

I replaced my rocker cover gasket about a month ago with an upgraded MK3 rubber gasket. It came with new shoulder bolts, which is used as a replacement for the old ones.

The start of this week i noticed a funny noise coming from the engine which turned out to be cam belt cog needed a bit of oil so i wipped off the cover and oiled it. Noise disappeared, but the damn gasket started leaking again.
All the bolts are nice & tight but have i disturbed something by doing this?

I am going to take off the rocker cover and re-seal it this weekend and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use a gasket sealer of some kind.

Also i don't have a torque wrench but last time i just hand tightened the bolts last time. How can i tell if they are over tightened or not?

JAYISK
01-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Time to resurrect a long dead thread....

I replaced my rocker cover gasket about a month ago with an upgraded MK3 rubber gasket. It came with new shoulder bolts, which is used as a replacement for the old ones.

The start of this week i noticed a funny noise coming from the engine which turned out to be cam belt cog needed a bit of oil so i wipped off the cover and oiled it. Noise disappeared, but the damn gasket started leaking again.
All the bolts are nice & tight but have i disturbed something by doing this?

I am going to take off the rocker cover and re-seal it this weekend and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use a gasket sealer of some kind.

Also i don't have a torque wrench but last time i just hand tightened the bolts last time. How can i tell if they are over tightened or not?
Hey Mate,
how did you end up going with this?