PDA

View Full Version : Launch Control - Flashing?

preeman
02-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi All,
So I tried to L.C. a couple of times and it just seems it does not exist on the car. It is in the manual and I have followed the steps with no luck.

I notice that if the brakes are on (I held the lightly, enough that they are engaged) and I rev the car, the car starts to creep forward.

I did find one note on the web, if you cannot REV past 1200 RPM LC is not enabled in the car.

Is that the case with the AUS cars? Or it should be there since it is in the manual?

Thanks,
MJ

quozl
02-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Launch control definitely works, you have to be in sport mode, foot on brake, disable traction control by pressing and holding the button for 3 secs, then while foot still firmly on the brake pedal you floor the throttle, revs will sit at 3k then release brake drive away.

Cheers Al

Andych
02-06-2012, 07:52 AM
And be prepared for it to be violent...:P

AdamD
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
So I tried to L.C. a couple of times and it just seems it does not exist on the car. It is in the manual and I have followed the steps with no luck.

It's the same system as on the Golfs. Occasionally I've noticed it can get confused, especially if you creep more than a few metres whilst in M or S, even with the T/C turned off - the launch control can disable itself and applying the throttle will engage 1st and start releasing the clutch. If you find that happens, stop the car, push the selector back to D, and then back to M or S, and launch control should be good to go.

Andych
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I also found out today that with TC completely turned off the Rocco has a new auto function in the wet.... Auto lane change under WOT :facepalm:

Best not to try LC on a wet road methinks :)

Ryan_R
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
AWD didn't come to the rescue?

she_dub
03-06-2012, 05:12 AM
I also found out today that with TC completely turned off the Rocco has a new auto function in the wet.... Auto lane change under WOT :facepalm:

Well done Andy :P

AWD didn't come to the rescue?

The Scirocco doesn't have AWD.

Which takes a little adapting, especially for those of us who came from previous Quattro / 4Motion vehicles :/

AdamD
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM

There is a certain charm to wheelspin well into third gear... ;)

Ryan_R
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh really, I thought all R line cars have AWD... interesting.

@Adam +1 :)

Andych
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh really, I thought all R line cars have AWD... interesting.

Why carry around the extra weight... it slows you down :rolleyes:

Andych
03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Well done Andy :P

Thanks Bec... I think :P

ozr
04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Has anyone overseas converted the Rocco to AWD,,...I wonder

JedR32
04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Has anyone overseas converted the Rocco to AWD,,...I wonder

YUP!
HPA has done a twin turbo AWD version I believe.

I'm hoping VW make the next Scirocco R AWD, would have so much more potential!

RW1
04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Beat me to it.......

HPA Motorsports Inc. Products: Scirocco (http://www.hpamotorsport.com/scirocco.htm)

KMS Scirocco "Behind the scenes" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxP7I7WcK04)

But not quite what the question above really intended. Seem to remember there is a problem with the rear floor pan and fuel tank in relation to a standard AWD rear drive axle arrangement.

Ryan_R
04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
How close is the Scirocco R's power to the theoretical limit of power a FWD car can have before it's a bit useless (at least according to TopGear)?

JedR32
04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
How close is the Scirocco R's power to the theoretical limit of power a FWD car can have before it's a bit useless (at least according to TopGear)?

I'd say pretty damn close!
My R32 is currently only front wheel drive :facepalm: and it's useless in anything other than a perfecto dry day and good bitumen. Any conditions other than that and the front wheels just light up. And that's with only 177Kw and 320nm!

So I dunno how some of the Rocco guys do it! hahaha

Ryan_R
04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Sounds a lot like my car (151kw & 320nm), even the TC doesn't sto pthe wheels spinning sometimes on a quick start in the dry. Have to gently take off before... taking off.

JedR32
04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Sounds a lot like my car (151kw & 320nm), even the TC doesn't sto pthe wheels spinning sometimes on a quick start in the dry. Have to gently take off before... taking off.

Yeah, I cannot wait to get my AWD fixed and have no wheel spin and better balance in corners! haha

Klink1313
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM

So you don't auto change lanes in the wet......it speeds you up !

Andych
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
YUP!
HPA has done a twin turbo AWD version I believe.

There is one here in Sydney actually... Twin turbo R36 engine..

Andych
04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd say pretty damn close!
My R32 is currently only front wheel drive :facepalm: and it's useless in anything other than a perfecto dry day and good bitumen. Any conditions other than that and the front wheels just light up. And that's with only 177Kw and 320nm!

So I dunno how some of the Rocco guys do it! hahaha

No... its a long way off the limit...
Mine is running the Motorsport Viezu tune and while you certainly can light it up if you want... you can also get it off the line and moving very fast with little to no initial wheelspin and chirps on gearchange...
It all comes down to Finesse with the right foot... :cool:

JedR32
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
No... its a long way off the limit...
Mine is running the Motorsport Viezu tune and while you certainly can light it up if you want... you can also get it off the line and moving very fast with little to no initial wheelspin and chirps on gearchange...
It all comes down to Finesse with the right foot... :cool:

Hahahaha this is also true.
Most of the time I was getting wheelspin was while I thought my AWD was working and wasn't :facepalm: so I was being very brutal on the throttle hahaha then it occurred to me that it was sending all power through the fronts :(

I guess I need to learn the art of being a bit wimpy on throttle input on take-off :P

Ryan_R
04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Speaking of too much power in a FWD car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FrZwq9Bn5n4

Can't say I'm not a teeny bit jealous though http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/06/drool2gif-1.jpg

dubstyle
04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
There is one here in Sydney actually... Twin turbo R36 engine..

Seriously!!! In a scirocco. How on earth did they fit a V6 in there?

JedR32
04-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Speaking of too much power in a FWD car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FrZwq9Bn5n4

Can't say I'm not a teeny bit jealous though http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/06/drool2gif-1.jpg

I thought he was doing a great job till he got to a corner hahahaha
A lot of tug at the wheel from the look of things. Mind you!... I kinda still want one :toocool:

Ryan_R
04-06-2012, 11:38 PM
hehe, maybe I'll just settle on the headband mounting option for the GoPro. Resulting video looks great, but surely you must look like a bit of a dork when wearing it :P

Andych
05-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Seriously!!! In a scirocco. How on earth did they fit a V6 in there?

The same way they fitted the R32 motor into the MkV Golf.