PDA

View Full Version : Wagon Power Tailgate Option - worth it?

BlackSuperb
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Finalizing the quotes for a new wagon. Is the power tailgate option worth it? Never seemed to need it on my previous Outback or Commodore wagons. Do I need it on the Superb?

wokwn
01-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Well it's nice but it's a bit slow to open and close.

You'll need someone with VCDS to turn off the buzzer that sounds when it's closing.

Also note that you can't shut it with the remote keyfob (unless you get an aftermarket module) or the button near the gearshifter, the remote and button only opens the door. To close it you need to press the button on the bottom of the door itself.

Knowing all this, I'd option it if the budget wasn't too tight, mostly because I can open it with my hands full (just like I can on the current Jetta).

aware
01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
We have ordered the power tailgate for ours. I could live with it either way - doesn't particularly worry me seeing as my car is also a wagon (Forester). As wokwn said, if your budget is not limited go for it. I have used it on an Accord Euro wagon in Europe, and on a Lexus and its not a bad idea though it can be a bit slow to open and close.

Edit: I don't know the cost of the option, so I would be interested to see what the RRP is.

BlackSuperb
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
RRP for Power Tailgate is $740.00

Yao
01-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Is it a necessary option? Probably not. Is it a nice to have? I think so :cool:

SWIMBO and the kids love it and it's useful when approaching the car with your arms full

BlackSuperb
03-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks fellas, might keep the $740 and buy a couple of crates of good Shiraz instead.

Albervin
05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
The power tailgate was fitted to my ex demo wagon and I love it. First wagon I have ever owned and it make life much easier. The tailgate can only be closed from the tailgate button as a safety measure I guess; there must be a bit of weight in that door so shutting it remotely may cause a potential danger to a person or dog? The auto opening load cover that comes with the auto tailgate is also very handy.

loz1304
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Bought a demo model with power tailgate installed - made it an easy choice over another demo without. One of the most useful features of the car when you are overladen. It would be nice to have a remote close option, but it's still much easier to close the tailgate with your arms full if its automatic than if its not!