PDA

View Full Version : best diesel

Hydrophobic
25-03-2006, 03:34 PM
what is the best newish diesel to put in my mk1?? would any of the t4's (2.5turbo) fit?? is it hard to fit? I have heard about the new mk5 tdi's requiring oil that cost $30/litre so not interested in that. What other turbo diesels fit?? My other option is to throw fuel economy out the door and put a 12a rotary in it.

Cheers.

Ian.

imported_brackie
25-03-2006, 04:04 PM
what is the best newish diesel to put in my mk1??
From what I have read, all diesel blocks will bolt up. If you are fitting a late model Tdi motor you will need all plumbing, computer and exhaust manifold/turbo. I've investigated importing a 1.9 Tdi and 5 speed (yes, the gearboxes have different ratios) form Europe and it will cost ~ $1k in freight plus government charges.

would any of the t4's (2.5turbo) fit??

Not sure about the external dimensions. The 5 cyl certainly wouldn't!

is it hard to fit? I have heard about the new mk5 tdi's requiring oil that cost $30/litre so not interested in that.

Balance it out. It's synthetic oil so the change interval is much longer. It works out pretty close to using a good quality mineral oil.

What other turbo diesels fit??

None that I know of. Most people fit Golf diesels to other makes, not the other way round!

My other option is to throw fuel economy out the door and put a 12a rotary in it.

Don't you dare!!!! :evil:

Cheers.

Ian.

peter_j_g
25-03-2006, 05:41 PM
If you like a challenge then go the TDi route, however it's much simpler to use an engine with a mechanical fuel pump. I had an 82 Mk1 GTD 2 door with a 1.9 litre that originated from a transporter, plus a bigger turbo & an intercooler...

Try Golf Loon, he's probably got something in that famous shed of his!

Golf Loon
25-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah thanks Peter.

I have a 1.9 Diesel Engine and 5 speed from a late Golf 2. Not turbo, but complete and gagging to convert your 1.5. :wink:

Steal it from me for $1000

imported_brackie
25-03-2006, 07:45 PM
1.9 and 5 speed should slot straight it. You'll have to change the gear linkage and perhaps the clutch from manual to hydraulic depending on what the gearbox came out of.

Golf Loon
25-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Gearbox is cable clutch. Your Mk1 cable will match straight up.
Gearlinkages need to be swopped over and engine mounts. Thats it.