View Full Version : Oils for MK5 103kw TDI

lhennessy
28-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Best oil to use? places to buy? price?

same with coolant :)

[new to VW and TDI]

5pot
29-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I bought some Penrite stuff from Supercheap auto. can't remember how much though.

Just remember that it has to be approved to the VW507 standard if you have a DPF. If you don't have a DPF, I think the standard is VW505. Just to re-iterate, it must be APPROVED. Some of them say that it "meets or exceeds" the standards but doesn't say that its "APPROVED". Although, this is only to avoid voiding the warranty, if you still have one.

The oil specifications will be in the car's user's manual.

Lucas_R
29-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Be prepared to pay around $80 or so for a good quality synthetic oil that is VW approved.

The Penrite Enviro+ 5w-30 is available from Supercheap and ive also seen it at Repco.
The LiquiMoly 4200 Top Tec 5w-30 is available from Autobarn.
the Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30 is available from Supercheap.

These 3x oils are VW approved to be used in your engine and are quite readily available.

lhennessy
29-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks very much guys and does anyone know what coolant to use?

sorry about all the Q's just really dont wanna do something to damage anything on my new beast :)

5pot
29-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh yeah, as for coolant, I would go and buy the concentrate from a VW dealer. It should be a deep red colour and be pink once it's diluted. Maybe there's other places to buy it for a cheaper price? Don't know though.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket options.

Diesel_vert
29-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I bought some Penrite stuff from Supercheap auto. can't remember how much though.

Just remember that it has to be approved to the VW507 standard if you have a DPF. If you don't have a DPF, I think the standard is VW505. Just to re-iterate, it must be APPROVED. Some of them say that it "meets or exceeds" the standards but doesn't say that its "APPROVED". Although, this is only to avoid voiding the warranty, if you still have one.

The oil specifications will be in the car's user's manual.

It's actually 505.01 for PD TDI engines (without a DPF). 505.00 is for older TDI engines. And of course, 507.00 supersedes both of them.

But no matter, as it's not likely you'll ever find a 505.01 approved oil in a retail store.

As for the coolant, only use genuine stuff.

balkanac
29-05-2012, 03:23 PM
i got a bottle of VW coolant concentrate from imparts. i think it was about $14

lhennessy
10-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Ended up
Penrite Enviro+ 5w-30 = $85
And cant remember the name but coolant was about $40

Went to Repco and they had neither in stock.
Burson had plenty and very helpful and showed me straight to the correct items.

Transporter
10-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I suggest that you return that coolant to Bursons, unless it is VW coolant which I doubt. The VW coolant is inexpensive and you should use it. The other coolants aren't guaranteed to protect the VW engine cooling system. Never mix different coolants together. :)

talktokeith
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I suggest that you return that coolant to Bursons, unless it is VW coolant which I doubt. The VW coolant is inexpensive and you should use it. The other coolants aren't guaranteed to protect the VW engine cooling system. Never mix different coolants together. :)

Can you top up engine oild with different brand? << assume both are "approved" from vw.

Diesel_vert
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Can you top up engine oild with different brand? << assume both are "approved" from vw.

Engine oils can be mixed.
It is not necessary to drain and refill if it's approved to the same oil standard, irrespective of brand.

As for coolants, they should never be mixed if using different brands. Always drain, flush and refill.