PDA

View Full Version : Speedo breakdown

aliasmk2
29-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi all
I was driving along on the HWY today & the speedo suddenly cut out, with no warning. It has never done this or played up in any way before

Has anyone had experience with this or know what the problem is, before I start pulling things apart??
I suppose that it would be the cable has given up or a probem in the actual speedo itself

cheers Ian

h100vw
29-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Cable could have fell out of the back of the clocks or maybe the plastic drive in the gearbox has broken up.

Last one would be a broken cable but I haven't seen one do that personally.

Gavin

aliasmk2
29-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Is it possible to check the plastic drive in the gear box without opening the box

h100vw
29-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, 11mm socket to undo the clamp bolt. Pull the cable out and the drive should be on the end of the cable. Most seem to be red.

Gavin

aliasmk2
29-07-2007, 08:59 PM
That sounds staight forward & alot more easy than playing around behind the speedo cluster, I'll check it out tomorrow before I look behind the speedo as I really don't want to take the cluster out
I will let you know what happens

cheers Ian

aliasmk2
30-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I checked the drive gear & it was in good condition, but the cable has snapped off inside the sleeve about 600mm up from the gear. So I guess I'm up for a new cable after all
Thanks for the tip!!

Regarda Ian

Peter Jones
30-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I checked the drive gear & it was in good condition, but the cable has snapped off inside the sleeve about 600mm up from the gear. So I guess I'm up for a new cable after all
Thanks for the tip!!

Regarda Ian

Don't reconnect the broken cable. Tape it up out of the way somewhere until you can fit a replacement, I've heard some nasty tales of the gearbox ingesting the broken cable!

My 2cents worth!

Pete

aliasmk2
31-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanx for that Peter

That sounds dangerous & costly if it falls in, but I've heard of them falling in & not having any effect on the gearbox, even years later

So I've taken your advice & moved it out of the way until I get the new cable

Regards Ian