PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco oil consumption

octagon
25-05-2012, 12:20 AM
My scirocco has just hit 5000km and the low oil warning light came on today. I know the vw engines like their oil but I was suprised that the oil would need topping up so quickly. Have any other scirocco owners experienced this and should I be concerned about it?

h100vw
25-05-2012, 04:53 AM
All new VWs use oil. Just keep a closer eye on it. Treating them a bit mean when you get them, is the way to stop it happening.

Can take a while for the consumption to drop off.

Gavin

Valver.
25-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Everyone has a different experience and it largely depends on how you've run the engine in... Personally, I've never had a VAG car use any oil whatsover and I've had over 20 of them. My Scirocco has 3000km now, hasn't used a drop of oil, and received APR stage one at 700km.

You really should be checking the oil every 500kms while running-in your engine, though. Doing an oil change at 5,000km is also a good idea, despite what VW might recommend. Perhaps also be more gentle when cold - no more than 3,500rpm until the oil temp is over 80deg (around 15mins driving). Putting the engine under load when cold increases wear and oil consumption straight out of the box.

Transporter
25-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Some good advice there Valver. I've also changed oil much earlier than in the first 5,000km in all or 6 VAG cars that we have in family at the moment and none of them is using any oil between 7,500km oil changes. Driving gently until the engine is fully warmed up is important and not just during the running in stage.

But with the some engines in some models it could be just the luck of draw. :?

eccentric
25-05-2012, 09:49 AM
2 Track days and 5000kms clocked, no low oil warning light for me. I take it very easy till the oil is up to 60+ degrees.

Lucas_R
25-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Golf R engine here - but same same of course with the Scirocco R.

From day 1, i loaded my engine up as much as possible (eg 4th gear 1,500rpm very slow speed, then essentially floor it up an incline/hill.) Obviously i let the engine get up to temperature before doing any of this. Mines a manual so might be easier to hold a high gear at low revs/speed than a DSG. I did this as many times as i could in the first couple of hundred kilometres. I never exceeded 5,000-5,500rpm until the car had over 1,000kms on it, but it got loaded up plenty and revved up to 5,000rpm plenty of times during this period.

I changed the oil at 5,000kms - dipstick was still showing the oil level to be full before the oil change.

Just recently had its 12 month service (car had done 8,500kms) and oil was still on the full level.

The worst thing to do is to baby them when they are new. Alot of people think that babying them is the right thing to do / correct way to run them in, but they are wrong. As Gavin said above, treat them mean - especially in the first couple of hundred kilometres. By treat them mean, i dont mean burnouts, drag races and bouncing off the rev limiter - not at all, but give the engine a rev and put it under load (up a hill) as much as you can.

Valver.
25-05-2012, 11:06 AM
The other thing to remember here is that, in most cases, the oil light will only come on if the oil is drastically low. Waiting for the light to come on is not a way of checking your oil level; it's merely a safeguard for those 'questionable' individuals who think they needn't lift the bonnet of their new car - when, in fact, they should lift it every week!

Totally agree about the running-in advice. There are some great articles from engine builders online about correct run-in procedures which are definitely worth a read. The other thing for manual drivers to consider is running-in the transmission. It's always interesting to drive different examples of the same model of car at the 30-50k mark and take note of how different the gearshift actions are. Some people complain no-end about VWs cable-shifted 02A/J/M transmissions, but if treated with respect from new, they're a very positive thing to use.

Just for the record, I'll do my first oil change at 4k, the next at 10k and then 7,500-10,000km intervals thereafter. I don't really care what anyone says: regardless of what oil you use, 15k intervals are too long - especially for a performance car, which, with a basic tune, has well over 150hp:litre specific output!

Adam66
26-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

Been checking mine every 1000k. (I'm at 5000k now)

At the moment the dipstick level is about half way.

Should I top it up ? if so, which oil ?

Cheers,

Adam

Transporter
26-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Top it up and keep the record how much did you put in. I'd use only VW504.00 approved oil. :)

Adam66
26-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Good advice...thanks.

why_999
27-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Top it up and keep the record how much did you put in. I'd use only VW504.00 approved oil. :)

Does it matter which brand you use? I read Mobile is the preferred brand. Or any brand approved WV504.00?
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Diesel_vert
27-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Does it matter which brand you use?

Not at all.
VW 504/507 may be a proprietary oil standard, but it is open. That way, any lubricant manufacturer can submit their product to VW for evaluation and, upon passing their tests, obtain approval. You end up with a system where the consumer is free to use any brand of oil.

I read Mobil is the preferred brand. Or any brand approved WV504.00?

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is as good as any 504/507 oil and is excellent value for money, considering you can buy them in handy 1 litre bottles, and particularly if you live in Sydney. (http://www.gllubricants.com/)

Castrol is Volkwagens's technical and marketing partner, but from a business point-of-view, I'd think they have no reason to formulate their 504/507 lubricants any better than the criteria already laid out in the oil standard.

why_999
27-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info...

It's so confusing reading and reading... but then at the shops I only see 502/505....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Diesel_vert
27-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info...

It's so confusing reading and reading... but then at the shops I only see 502/505....

504/507 is not compulsory unless you are on the LongLife service regime (which Australian cars aren't), but I would recommend it if you have a TSI engine.

They're not common, but you can find Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30, Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 or Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 on the shelves, though I'd just pick up some Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 from GL Lubricants (http://www.gllubricants.com/).

MGV
27-05-2012, 11:47 AM
DON'T check the oil level with the engine running!!
I was horrified to read some 'enthusiasts' were doing that! :rolleyes:

Lucas_R
28-05-2012, 12:51 PM
DON'T check the oil level with the engine running!!
I was horrified to read some 'enthusiasts' were doing that! :rolleyes:

What!! Are you serious? Its an engine-off job. Flat ground, and engine off for say 5 mins to let the oil drain back down to the sump.

Andych
28-05-2012, 06:24 PM
No quantifiable oil use on mine in a little over 3000 km.
Always careful until up to temp.

mr gee
29-05-2012, 01:42 PM
6000ks on mine, no quantifiable use of oil so far

Adam66
30-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Checked mine again today - short drive - 30min after engine stop.

100ml brought the level back to the full line.

I'll note that the day I got the car, the oil level was not right on the full line, but about 2mm below it. (after the engine cooled down)

So I reckon I've added 60-70ml from new.

After 6500k, would this be considered high oil usage ?

Adam

Valver.
30-05-2012, 03:47 PM
After 6500k, would this be considered high oil usage ?

Adam

Not at all; that's very much within the "normal" range. 60-70ml probably wouldn't even be noticed on the dipstick by most people.

Oil consumption is normal, within reason, but there's definitely a correlation between how much oil an engine uses and how its run-in and treated in general.

A proper warm-up cycle is more important than anything :)

Adam66
30-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks Valver,

Adam

ozr
25-06-2012, 03:24 PM
After roughly 5k mine needs a half litre.
Not bad at all for a fairly high poundage turbo engine.

mr gee
26-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Mine at 7000km still does not need any top up. Perhaps its the way I ran it in.
My TT with the TFSI engine needs a liter after 3000 odd km but I suspect its the pancake PCV whic is regarded as too small.

My other previous rides with TSI engines used no oil whatsoever during the time I had them.

update: now at 12000km. No oil consumed

ozr
26-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah no stress on my behalf. Its all good
Ran it in as I would drive it, but always warmed up b4 boosting.

RRRRIT
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
what oil should you use to top it up,does vw dealers use castrol long life 5 30w?

mr gee
13-09-2012, 09:57 PM
VW now specifies the 504 oil, to be safe, they should carry it (believe they use castrol)

AnDyStYLe
09-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a bump to this topic...

I've had my car new off the showroom floor (20km on the clock) and it's just touched over 3000km (3060km to be exact), and I checked the dipstick and noticed that I've experienced the dreaded oil consumption :(

I know our beloved VW's do consume oil, but I've read up on it a lot and many say they don't get any usage and some massively. Even in this thread. So obviously, I'd prefer for my car to NOT have oil usage, but if it can't be helped as little as possible.

Since the start (within 1000km), I've driven my car normally to operating temp and then give it a good driving like how a Scirocco is meant to be driven, however tried to stay within 5-6000rpm, and especially limited hitting redline. Maybe once or twice when another car in close proximity was giving me the ****s.

Then from 1000km - 1500km, I gradually increased the engine speed further and more often and allowed it to hit redline (not sit) more often as well.

I recall checking the dipstick regulary up until 2000km'ish and it was always at MAX. So it appears that the usage was only within the last 1000km or thereabouts.

I did let the misses drive the car for about a week as she was without a car, but I've told her to be cautious and allow it to get to operating temp before booting it. Surely a weeks worth of driving (probably no more than 200kms) couldn't impact significantly on oil consumption?

Mon - Fri the car is used for work commutes which is about a 15-20min drive, and by the time I get to work the oil temp is around 86 degrees. I ensure that I don't allow the engine speed to go over 3000rpm, although I do downshift regularly to 4-5 when it's slugging along in D6 at below 2000rpm. Obviously, going home is very much similar. On weekends, I try to drive it further and longer whenever I can.

Sorry for the story time, but yeah I'm a little concerned what to expect moving forward :dunno:

Anyhoo, here's a picture of the dipstick showing the oil level at 3060km. Taken first thing in the morning when the engine is cold. Anyone care to guestimate how much oil I've used? Am I being anal? Only reason for the concern is that many (again, even a few in this very thread) have said they haven't had any usage at all. I believe I "broke in" the car like it's meant to be driven, so why the oil usage?

http://oi59.tinypic.com/zx9pw8.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/zx9pw8-1.jpg

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Transporter
09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a bump to this topic...

I've had my car new off the showroom floor (20km on the clock) and it's just touched over 3000km (3060km to be exact), and I checked the dipstick and noticed that I've experienced the dreaded oil consumption :(

I know our beloved VW's do consume oil, but I've read up on it a lot and many say they don't get any usage and some massively. Even in this thread. So obviously, I'd prefer for my car to NOT have oil usage, but if it can't be helped as little as possible.

Since the start (within 1000km), I've driven my car normally to operating temp and then give it a good driving like how a Scirocco is meant to be driven, however tried to stay within 5-6000rpm, and especially limited hitting redline. Maybe once or twice when another car in close proximity was giving me the ****s.

Then from 1000km - 1500km, I gradually increased the engine speed further and more often and allowed it to hit redline (not sit) more often as well.

I recall checking the dipstick regulary up until 2000km'ish and it was always at MAX. So it appears that the usage was only within the last 1000km or thereabouts.

I did let the misses drive the car for about a week as she was without a car, but I've told her to be cautious and allow it to get to operating temp before booting it. Surely a weeks worth of driving (probably no more than 200kms) couldn't impact significantly on oil consumption?

Mon - Fri the car is used for work commutes which is about a 20min drive, and by the time I get to work the oil temp is around 86 degrees. Obviously, going home is very much similar. On weekends, I try to drive it further and longer whenever I can.

Sorry for the story time, but yeah I'm a little concerned what to expect moving forward :dunno:

Anyhoo, here's a picture of the dipstick showing the oil level at 3060km. Anyone care to guestimate how much oil I've used? Am I being anal? Only reason for the concern is that many (again, even a few in this very thread) have said they haven't had any usage at all. I believe I "broke in" the car like it's meant to be driven, so why the oil usage?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

No Andy, you don't. At least the one can't say from that what you've posted. :)

Your picture is showing approx. 1/2 way between the min and max level. So probably 250ml top up should bring the level back to the max.

The 250ml within 3000km is very normal, so I would just relax and don't stress about it. Keep driving normally and check the oil level on regular basis.

...and enjoy your car! :)

AnDyStYLe
09-04-2014, 09:58 AM
^ Thanks for the reassurance, and helpful as always mate!

Should I top it up now or wait a little longer to see how much further it does go down?

Cheers,

Andy

Adam66
09-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm at 40K and used 1L of oil over that mileage.....( I check the oil regularly )

Transporter
09-04-2014, 11:21 AM
^ Thanks for the reassurance, and helpful as always mate!

Should I top it up now or wait a little longer to see how much further it does go down?

Cheers,

Andy

Top it up but don't overfill it. The best is to wait till morning (don't start the engine) when all oil is in sump. Make sure the car is on the level ground and pour just 250ml in, wait at least 5 minutes and recheck.

RoccoRacer14
12-04-2014, 10:25 PM
I topped my oil up twice since purchase, just clocked 9000kms, but ive been making that turbo work, so..... expected.

Mountainman
13-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Did anyone check the oil level when new? When I picked mine up it had 54km on it and I checked the oil level soon as I got home and it was only at the halfway mark on the dipstick. I got the dealer to top it up the next time I went past and it hasn't used a drop now in the next 34,000km. I reckon it was never filled from the start as it wouldn't use half a litre in 60km and then nothing afterwards.

btw They reckon 54km is normal for new cars delivered by them (Norris in Kedron, Brisbane) but I have been used to my new cars having around 5km when delivered. it wasn't being used as a demo as it was sitting on display on a shipping container in front of the showroom.

brad
13-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Did anyone check the oil level when new? When I picked mine up it had 54km on it and I checked the oil level soon as I got home and it was only at the halfway mark on the dipstick. I got the dealer to top it up the next time I went past and it hasn't used a drop now in the next 34,000km. I reckon it was never filled from the start as it wouldn't use half a litre in 60km and then nothing afterwards.

btw They reckon 54km is normal for new cars delivered by them (Norris in Kedron, Brisbane) but I have been used to my new cars having around 5km when delivered. it wasn't being used as a demo as it was sitting on display on a shipping container in front of the showroom.
Up to 100km they can reset the odometer back to zero - once, so they either forgot to reset it or they'd already reset it so you had 54km plus some figure <100km