PDA

View Full Version : Looked at a Yeti today

K1W1
18-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I had to pick up a small part from the Skoda/Audi dealer today so while I was there I had a look at the Q3 in the Audi showroom (and was ignored by the sales people who seemed to have important computer related things to do) then went across the drive to compare the look and feel of the Yeti.
I half sat in one as you do and almost immediately had a hand thrust at me and an introduction and a query as to whether I really wanted a manual because there was an auto to look at (like it makes a big difference in the showroom). I explained that I was 12 months away from buying and was really just doing a seat of the pants comparison between the Q3 and the Yeti to which the sales person said he would go and get me his card. I replied not to bother and when he queried why I mentioned that he wouldn't be there in 12 months anyway to which he got huffy and marched off mumbling something. In sales you take the good with the bad and if he is reading this then in 12 months buddy even if you are still there YOU will not be getting a sale. The parts guy is a better sales representative for your dealership than you are.
On the comparison front even at twice the price the Q3 is a much nicer place to be than the Yeti which to me looks (still it always has) cheap inside in a way that the Octavia does not. There is just something about the shape and textures of the interior that I can't come to grips with.

docjames
18-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I half sat in one as you do and almost immediately had a hand thrust at me and an introduction and a query as to whether I really wanted a manual because there was an auto to look at (like it makes a big difference in the showroom). I explained that I was 12 months away from buying and was really just doing a seat of the pants comparison between the Q3 and the Yeti to which the sales person said he would go and get me his card. I replied not to bother and when he queried why I mentioned that he wouldn't be there in 12 months anyway to which he got huffy and marched off mumbling something. In sales you take the good with the bad and if he is reading this then in 12 months buddy even if you are still there YOU will not be getting a sale. The parts guy is a better sales representative for your dealership than you are.

So he came and spoke to you promptly (unlike the Audi salespersons), and then you were rude to him, so he left you alone, and you think he's no good?

Interesting concept to be rude to someone to see if they'll just "take it".

Jake02
18-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I agree KIWI about the materials, it does look a little cheap. In the Yeti things like the mirror controls have a slight purple tinge to their grey colouring; that looks cheap to me and the interior is so black! There's a Yeti on Skoda NZ's used car section that has ivory leather and to me the interior on that has a much richer look. They need to offer other interior colours here and other-colour stitching would be lovely too. The only soft-touch bits are on the dash which I hate. Still, better than a lot of other compact SUVs...

K1W1
18-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I wasn't rude at all I was quite happy to chat with him but I had explained that I wasn't buying now or in the near future and there was no point in getting a card from him. If his sole motivation is to ensure that he can say "I spoke to that head" and claim me as his customer next time I go in there he doesn't deserve the sale. If he had not jumped 17 steps in the sales process then maybe I would have taken his card out of politeness.

Apart from anything else what sort of a salesman doesn't carry business cards in his pocket?

RSwag
18-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I wasn't rude at all I was quite happy to chat with him but I had explained that I wasn't buying now or in the near future and there was no point in getting a card from him. If his sole motivation is to ensure that he can say "I spoke to that head" and claim me as his customer next time I go in there he doesn't deserve the sale. If he had not jumped 17 steps in the sales process then maybe I would have taken his card out of politeness.

Apart from anything else what sort of a salesman doesn't carry business cards in his pocket?

I dont disagree with much of what you post here KIWI, in fact i can't remember strongly disagreeing with anything you've said but theres a first time for everything.

You can't treat this blokes lively hood as a personal game or toy to play with as you see fit. I wasn't there so i can't say whether this bloke handled your encounter poorly or not but i can only imagine the predicoment he was in.

His job is to sell cars, not to talk to people without achieving a result. If he ignores you he is seen as arrogant by you as the customer and unsuitable to the role by his employer who would no doubt want someone who is happy to speak to everyone. If he says hello and gives you good service he is accountable to his boss for the interaction, every salesperson needs to justify the time they spend with each client.

Given the brand is struggling i am sure he is under the microscope more than most and is no doubt earning less than the average sales consultant. given these factors, how did you expect him to react???

You have just gone and made his life all that more difficult for nothing more than your own amusement, my advice for you is to just stay out of new car showrooms unless you have an intention to buy something in a time frame that is less than that of conception to birth. 12 months away, were you expecting him to spend 3,4 - 9 hours chatting to you on the off chance you may buy off him in 12 months?? If he wasted his day with people who MIGHT buy in 12 months he wouldn't have a job.

Really unsure as to why you would do that to someone?

woofy
19-05-2012, 08:58 AM
It was Tolga wasn't it?

bluey
19-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Personally, I think is it Australian marketing staff who ruin the Aussie interiors of a whole load of vehicles. Yetis in the UK have much better colours and materials. I like the interior in the Australian Yeti brochure more than I iike the real one available in the car, sadly the salesman said they're not bringing in that interior.

K1W1, which yeti did you sit in??? The different models are a little different.

But if I was just buying a car for looks, I'd probably be looking elsewhere.

If I really hated the Yeti interior, I'd be off to a motor body trimmer to change a few things. I could do that for a whole lot less than the price gap to an Audi Q3. Lots of cool parts at Superskoda.

For under $20k, you can get a Chery 4wd with leather interior.

Having lived with a Yeti TDI for 7 weeks, it grows on me the more I drive it and is great fun to throw round corners.

As far as salesmen go, the only thing I want to talk them about is price, since most of the time by the time I get to a showroom, I will know way more about their product than them.

Aireyet
19-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Have to agree the interiors are lacking, but I dont notice once I'm on the move. I find the interior quite light and airy but lacking some of the *little things* when compared to the Jetta I had previously. Rear legroom similar to our Patrol and the kids love the reclining seats. I also find the Yeti an engaging drive (118) and it does grow on you.

mark t
19-05-2012, 10:05 AM
so did I, finally - took a 1.8 dsg on a 150k round trip home and along the nearby bush tracks, I was very impressed (although I'm after the diesel). I haven't see a comparable vehicle I prefer. They are trying to find a diesel with the off road button for me with the 2.8% finance deal. Apparently most of the vehicles bought in are without the button, which seems daft, actually it seems daft that there is even a button, the features just be part of the deal.

They (gorells in geelong) were OK with the notion of swapping the wheels with 16". The place looked pretty busy.

bluey
19-05-2012, 10:39 AM
trying to find a diesel with the off road button for me with the 2.8% finance deal. Apparently most of the vehicles bought in are without the button, which seems daft, actually it seems daft that there is even a button, the features just be part of the deal.

Our diesel came with the off-road button. A search through all the VAG option codes for our vehicle reveals no specific code for the off-road button, so I can only presume that it is "standard" in Australian TDIs. Here is the list of option codes for our Yeti:

code group description
1AT BRS Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
1D7 AHV Trailer hitch preparation
1KS BAH Disc brakes, rear (Geomet D)
1N3 LEN Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
1NL RAA Covers for alloy wheels
3FA DEI Without roof insert (standard roof)
3GG LBH Plane rear cargo area
3L3 SIE Manual height adjustment for front seats
3QC RSV 3-point seat belts, front
4A0 SIH Without seat heater
4K3 TKV Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing
4R4 FEH Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker
4UH AIB Air bag for driver and front passenger with knee air bag
4X3 SAB Side air bag front with curtain air bag
5KP HIS 3 separate seats (first row of seats)
5RC ASR Right exterior mirror: convex (modified viewing field)
5SJ ASL Left exterior mirror: convex
6FF BBO Body-colored exterior mirror housings and various add-on parts
7A0 CDW Without CD changer/CD player
7AA EDW Electronic vehicle immobilization device
7MG AGM Emission standard EU5
7P4 LOR Manually adjustable lumbar support in front seats
7T6 NAV Navigation system (MID)
7X1 EPH Park distance control
8AY RAO Radio/navigation system
8GU GEN Alternator 140 A
8L5 ANT Roof antenna and "diversity" window antenna
8QL SLR Key for locking system with remote control
8RM LSE 8 speakers (passive)
8WD NES Integrated front fog light
8X0 SWR Without headlight washer system
9AK HKA Climatronic with impact pressure control free of cfc
9P3 SGK Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle
9W8 VTV Car phone preparation
B30 TPL Type approval Australia
E0A AAU No special edition
G06 DFV Front shock absorption
HW6 REI Tires 225/50 R17 94W
J0N BAT Battery 330 A (61 Ah)
L66 GKV Suspension range 66 installation control only, no requirement forecast
QG1 WIV Service interval prolongation
QN1 SVS Drawer under left front seat

Dealer also said it came with cornering fog lights (one fog turns on when turning or indicating), which is listed as an option in the brochure. In reality, this is just a VAG-COM setting and it is not listed in the option codes.

BluChris
19-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Gotta give K1W1 his due, the parts guy there is great to deal with. If they were all that good I'd still get my car serviced by them...

BJ75
21-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Mine had the offroad button as standard (103 TDI DSG)

Haven't used it yet. No idea what it does other than what the salesperson said during handover. I'm sure I was listening, but at the same time, in my head I was saying "Hurry the F up, I wanna go drive this thing!!!"

In any case, I'll just RTFM before I need to use it.

As for the comments about the quality of the interior ... I think it's all about perspective personally. My car before the Yeti was an Outback of slightly higher cost. The Yeti interior craps over it in every factor. Die-hard patriotic friends of mine buy Commondores and Falcons. Their interiors feel like they have a 12 month lifespan at most. I park next to a Tiguan every day. It feels pretty much the same as the Yeti. On the other side of me is an X3. It's interior (as with most other parts of the vehicle) feels a step above in all areas except the stereo, which isn't touch screen. I'm jealous of his little LED lights under the door handles when you unlock the car. That's awesome.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
24-05-2012, 01:52 PM
so did I, finally - took a 1.8 dsg on a 150k round trip home and along the nearby bush tracks, I was very impressed (although I'm after the diesel). I haven't see a comparable vehicle I prefer. They are trying to find a diesel with the off road button for me with the 2.8% finance deal. Apparently most of the vehicles bought in are without the button, which seems daft, actually it seems daft that there is even a button, the features just be part of the deal.

They (gorells in geelong) were OK with the notion of swapping the wheels with 16". The place looked pretty busy.

There's a Yeti 103 DSG for sale in Berwick VW in White with Sat Nav & rear parking sensors. Its an ex Skoda exec driven car with approx 8,000km. I actually checked it out on the weekend. It looks good and has the 4x4 button. Its also on Carsales.

bluey
24-05-2012, 03:27 PM
There's a Yeti 103 DSG for sale in Berwick VW in White with Sat Nav & rear parking sensors. Its an ex Skoda exec driven car with approx 8,000km. I actually checked it out on the weekend. It looks good and has the 4x4 button. Its also on Carsales.

That's insane. There are brand new white/DSG/TDI/satnav ones selling for less money than that exec driven 8000km one on Carsales.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
24-05-2012, 08:36 PM
That's insane. There are brand new white/DSG/TDI/satnav ones selling for less money than that exec driven 8000km one on Carsales.

And where are those brand new cheap diesel Yeti's? The cheapest diesel DSG Yeti I can see on Carsales is $37,888 driveway.

The one in question I cannot see anymore but when I was with the dealer talking about it, the price was at $35k driveway and that included sat nav and rear park.

Try and help someone and you get caned by someone else. Will shut up next time and offer no assistance.

bluey
25-05-2012, 05:05 AM
And where are those brand new cheap diesel Yeti's? The cheapest diesel DSG Yeti I can see on Carsales is $37,888 driveway.

Try and help someone and you get caned by someone else. Will shut up next time and offer no assistance.

Don't take it so personally. The insane was referring to the dealer's pricing. The exec driven one you saw is gone now - was listed for about $40500 I recall, and there was a new one listed for about $40300. Best price with sat nav is white with black roof $39,985 drive away. Both the all white ones with satnav have gone.