PDA

View Full Version : adjustable cam gear???

deemoE36
27-07-2007, 11:07 AM
right...I sourced this autotech cam just recently,
what im after now is an adjustable cam gear

http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camgears.htm

has anyone had any experience with these?? any available to buy maybe

im after some feedback on these and on this autotech cam as well

cheers

Mario
27-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi there.. yeh i had one on my MK1 years ago... I think i still have it at home? maybe?.. im pretty sure i didnt sell it... will have a look and let you know...

But yeh they are good... allowing a few degrees advance or retard..depending on what your after.. torque down low or up higher in the rev range.....

like i said will have a look 4 ya.. mario.

deemoE36
27-07-2007, 01:18 PM
thanks mate...

did u use it wit an aftermarket cam or with stock

at the moment, this lumpy cam that i got is really good for the top end, but im not much of a rever so shifting the power down lower would be great for me

BL33SU
27-07-2007, 01:29 PM
i'v seen on few peoples signatures with "muller adjustable cam"

is that from mullers at lakemba?

Mario
27-07-2007, 01:33 PM
thanks mate...

did u use it wit an aftermarket cam or with stock

at the moment, this lumpy cam that i got is really good for the top end, but im not much of a rever so shifting the power down lower would be great for me

Hi there.. i used an aftermarket cam.. cant tell you the facts... Lift/duration as i cant remember.. but yeh, good power increase... I may still have the cam too.. i do remember seeing one a few weeks ago all wrapped up.. i take it you are after one for your MK1?.. are you going to run Twin side drafts or a single.... Single is better up to about 5500rpm, then you do see the diff with the twins above that too about 9000-9500rpm..
i used twin side draft 40mm delorto's... i should still have these somewhere too but i cant find them....ARRRRHHHH!!!.
mario

DubSteve
27-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Deemo how much was your cam, jkust curious, I am looking into one for the vr6 where abouts did you get it from?

deemoE36
27-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi there.. i used an aftermarket cam.. cant tell you the facts... Lift/duration as i cant remember.. but yeh, good power increase... I may still have the cam too.. i do remember seeing one a few weeks ago all wrapped up.. i take it you are after one for your MK1?.. are you going to run Twin side drafts or a single.... Single is better up to about 5500rpm, then you do see the diff with the twins above that too about 9000-9500rpm..
i used twin side draft 40mm delorto's... i should still have these somewhere too but i cant find them....ARRRRHHHH!!!.
mario
its a mk3, as u can see my power to weight is not the best, thats why i need that down low increse

Deemo how much was your cam, jkust curious, I am looking into one for the vr6 where abouts did you get it from?
swapt some parts with Matt, i would say $200 - 250 worth

BL33SU
27-07-2007, 02:00 PM
man this cam stuff sounds good, was looking at the link u posted deemo.. looks cheap less than $200.. i need sme low end torque too

DubSteve
27-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm looking at something like a 268 270 cam for the vr6. I got quoted 2200 bucks for a schrick one :(

static1800
27-07-2007, 04:28 PM
go Autotech steve, get sports valve springs and the cam gear while your at it to :D

evorobin
27-07-2007, 07:57 PM
New Valve springs are overkill imo (for the authors application only)

SoVeReIgN
28-07-2007, 09:39 AM
man this cam stuff sounds good, was looking at the link u posted deemo.. looks cheap less than $200.. i need sme low end torque too

Cams are usually for NA cars - Sure you can put them on turbo cars but there is much more effective ways to spend money first.

And If you get a cam for top end power, you'll lose power/torque down the bottom end.

evorobin
28-07-2007, 02:23 PM
A cam isn't really gonna give you much more torque though. You want a VR6 mate.

deemoE36
30-07-2007, 05:00 PM
after a few days of driving round with my new cam, i can give some feedback

it feels much smoother, all tho it seems to be slightly sluggish from down bellow, at 2500RPM starts pickin up quit good and it doesnt stop till 5000RPM; this is good considering that my stock cam was pickin up from 2000RPM but only with a short burst of power
the engine seems to be 'breathing' better, sound from the exhaust is stronger and it doesnt scream through 3500RPM like it wants to explode as it used to, now it makes that nice power-sound like rumble all the way through
all in all... :) money well spent. Thank you loon!

...i just wonder now, what would that adjustable gear bring into the equation ;) Mario, any luck with the search ??