PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pedal Problems in MK1 GLD

Charles Abetz
27-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey Guys

My MK1 GLD currently has problems with its brake pedal but as I am not completely mechanically minded I don't know what is exactly is wrong.

Basically the brake pedal wont go down, but I still have braking (just takes effort).

From what I have been told by people who have a better idea than me is that the master cylinder piston is getting jammed (is this an accurate assessment?)

jets
27-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Not sure if i'm on the right track, but you say that the brakes still work but with a high pedal pressure. You may have no boost pressure because of a split diaphram in the vacuum pump.

awestonvp
27-07-2007, 11:36 AM
If the piston was getting jammed, you probably wouldnt have any brakes - does sound more like a vacuum assist problem, split diaphram or leaking hose.

brackie
27-07-2007, 08:13 PM
These are the classic symptoms of a blown vacuum pump diaphragm. These and the valves that serve them don't last for ever...particularly as the engine wears and some blowby oil gets into the pump to attack the rubberware.

Cheap and easy fix as the pump is easily accessible and the diaphragm kit not pricey. I get mine from US ebay although I have in the past been chastised by forum members saying that I should buy Australian. Your decision. ;)

Charles Abetz
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Brackie you are correct in your assessment!

Now where do I get the parts to fix the problem?

brackie
01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll pm you mate, as last time I recommended where to get Mk1 diesel parts I got criticised for it.

gtimk5
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Vaccum pump kits are readily available at any VW parts place. Its a very common problem.
Andrew :)

jets
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I recently purchased a valve kit $12.50 & a diaphram kit also for $12.50 from my vw parts supplier in Adelaide. In the kit was a small amount of loctite that goes on the thread beneath the diaphram. Refer to your manual for procedure on installation of diaphram otherwise it won't last long.

brackie
03-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Why couldn't I get one for that price when I needed it :???: The best I was quoted was ~$50 (genuine) and that was just for the main diaphragm. Please give us the name and address of the parts dealer that you found (I'll order a spare).

jets
06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Why couldn't I get one for that price when I needed it :???: The best I was quoted was ~$50 (genuine) and that was just for the main diaphragm. Please give us the name and address of the parts dealer that you found (I'll order a spare).

The parts came from IMPARTS EUROPEAN [formally Intervolks]
The contact is Dean Hoskin [08] 82603667