PDA

View Full Version : Leaking heater matrix anyone blanked it out

alex g
21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
did it on the mk1 a few weeks ago and have just relised that the mint alpine mk2 digi is filling the passengers footwell with coolant. i need to block it asap, is there any reason a u section cant be fabbed to return the water before the bulkhead.

any experience

thanks lads

Golf Loon
21-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I see lots of Mk1s with it bypassing the heater. No reason you cant, but it is winter soon.

alex g
21-03-2006, 09:08 PM
yer but dumping 4 litres of coolant in two days into my interior aint that good, i think i will put up with the cold mornings :lol:

Golf Loon
21-03-2006, 09:10 PM
New Heater Matrix?
Or a secondhand one from my shed?

syncro
21-03-2006, 10:01 PM
On an injected Golf, make sure that you do not blank it off!
You must make a U hose.

roccodingo
22-03-2006, 01:08 AM
On an injected Golf, make sure that you do not blank it off!
You must make a U hose.

May I ask why and which model golf thanks syncro ??

syncro
22-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Golf 2s have a full flow heater and the coolant goes back up through the head. Golf 1 has a tap to turn the heater on and off as it bypasses through the manifold or on a K-Jetronic there is a small U shaped hose that allows some of the coolant to flow when the heater is off.

Does that make sense?

(I don't know about later models)

Volksee77
23-03-2006, 11:28 AM
i found that camira's run a coolant hose with a 180 degree bend in it and if you cut it to length it fits mint and will ensure coolant flow to your head without it pissing on your floor :)

syncro
23-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I remember buying the GTI hose before which is about 75mm long and had to mortgage the house to by it.

Golf Loon
23-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I reckon al can fab something!

roccodingo
23-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Golf 2s have a full flow heater and the coolant goes back up through the head. Golf 1 has a tap to turn the heater on and off as it bypasses through the manifold or on a K-Jetronic there is a small U shaped hose that allows some of the coolant to flow when the heater is off.

Does that make sense?

(I don't know about later models)

Thanks syncro, yep , familiar with the Mk1 set up, just didnt know about the Mk2 set up.

One thing with the Kjet Mk1 u shaped hose, it has a restrictor in it for those that didnt know ( steel plug with a hole drilled in it ) ... :wink:

syncro
24-03-2006, 07:16 AM
One thing with the Kjet Mk1 u shaped hose, it has a restrictor in it for those that didnt know ( steel plug with a hole drilled in it ) ... :wink:

That's so the heater works...

alex g
24-03-2006, 07:23 AM
all sorted thanks lads

the digi motor is a bastard so many extra senders and crap, just put a u section in line but there was one way valves on each hose near the bulkhead and under the coil and intertwinned with the earth strap so it was a back breaker

seens good

now need a few oil changes to get the ratle out :?