PDA

View Full Version : Wheel retriming. Where???

tassie_euro_mk1
26-07-2007, 06:48 PM
everyone, I need to retrim my leather vr6 steering wheel.

Asked an upholstery place today here on the north west coast of tassie to see if they can do mine. Answer was yes but the price was gonna be $300+.

So I wanna know if there is a place that would retrim my leather wheel for cheaper than $300. I will post it.

BTW the guys on the NW recommended SAAS on the mainland. Apparently they do it. And cheaper. will call em and find out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

KI11Z
27-07-2007, 04:17 AM
you'll actually find that quite alota retrimming places will charge a lot simply because they dont really want to do it! Its quite a time consuming job retrimming a steering wheel . . . . Let us know how you go :cool:

joshyd-mk2gti
27-07-2007, 04:51 PM
had a read on another forum, around $250 is the going rate, youd be pretty lucky to find someone do it cheaper than that.

Soundofav6
27-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't mind doing mine. WOW.. thats expensive.... I saw at local car shop. brand new momo steering wheel is $395 and 20 % off. Works out probably same price. And its LEATHER as well.

tassie_euro_mk1
28-07-2007, 08:05 AM
damn. thought i could get it done cheaper.

Ive got a momo leather wheel on the mark 1. its very nice. but im not interested in an aftermarket wheel for the vr6. I wanna keep the airbag!

Might have to scout about for a decent second hand wheel.

Let u know how I go

Soundofav6
28-07-2007, 10:07 AM
hey tassie,
I am passively on a mission find steering wheel replacement/ trim as well, my budget is only minimal as it's only cosmetics purpose. I will let you know how I go as well.

tassie_euro_mk1
28-07-2007, 10:44 AM
sounds great mate.

roccodingo
30-07-2007, 08:44 PM
BTW the guys on the NW recommended SAAS on the mainland. Apparently they do it. And cheaper. will call em and find out.

Thankyou

Did you contact SAAS ?? do they use a machine to stitch it or do it by hand ?? Had 2 of my original Scirocco STORM wheels re covered here ages ago, was $250 each back in the mid eighties, They did it by hand and it looked extremely average compared to the original factory stitching..

Would be willing to ship my wheels to SAAS wherever they are and get it done right.

TIA.

SoVeReIgN
02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't mind doing mine. WOW.. thats expensive.... I saw at local car shop. brand new momo steering wheel is $395 and 20 % off. Works out probably same price. And its LEATHER as well.

Airbag steering wheels are rediculously expensive - And it's illegal to replace and airbag steering wheel with a wheel without the bag (and abit stupid imo)

So $300 to retrim it doesn't sound tooo bad.