PDA

View Full Version : Air-Compressor???????

EwenHayton
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Hey all,
Im looking in to buying an air-compressor to do a full re-spray on my mk1 golf, But didn't realize how much chose and variables there are in them, Obviously if i could buy a $1000+ compressor I don't think I would be having this problem. but my price range is max $300 (is it even possible to get one for this or less?).

I have been told im going to need a CFM (cubic feet per min) of above 10. But nothing i find comes under the $800 mark.

What liter should i be looking at?

So if anyone can can help please do?????

gecko2k
08-05-2012, 05:19 PM
That would interest me too, as you really don't want to run out of pressure when painting a 'larger' panel. The supercheap ones are good for tool-usage, even when doing renovations, but I am not sure how they go for painting a whole car.

Maybe see if Peter jones can answer you the question, as he's done quite a few (?) resprays before.

Peter Jones
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
10 - 15 CFM is what you're after for spraying with at least a 50L tank.

I've got one for sale at the moment

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f38/air-compressor-71367.html

The little direct drive compressors you can get from Supercheap aren't much chop for spraying an entire car or running a rattle gun but they're OK for inflating tyres, a small touch up or running a nail gun.

OEM G60
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I've got one of these TradeTools - HD240-RENEGADE INDUSTRIAL COMPRESSOR DIRECT DR V TWIN 2.5HP 240LPM (http://www.tradetools.com/products/HD240) that i use with a spray gun and air tools, it goes good, it does run a lot when you're spraying, but i don't notice a pressure drop. A bigger tank is better with the higher flowing compressors so the motor isn't labouring too much, but that's only a worry if it's getting used all the time. Mine has a 76L tank, had it about a year with no problems. I use it to spray lacquer on Furniture, and tp spray contact adhesive with (over large areas sometimes).

Found this one for a bit less than what you're saying you found one for. Only a 50L tank, but i reckon it would do the job. New Royce Piston Reciprocating Compressor for sale - AIR COMPRESSOR 14CFM V TWIN CYLINDER 2 75HP 50L CO, 34636 (http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/AIR-COMPRESSOR-14CFM-V-TWIN-CYLINDER-2-75HP-50L-CO/34636/)

If not, maybe hiring one would work out better?

Peter Jones
08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
There's differences between belt driven and direct drive compressors. I'd recommend doing a bit of research on the pros and cons of each type.

The air pumps can also be oil free, oiled, aluminium or cast iron. Again take a look into the options to see what's best for you.

I chose belt driven, oiled and cast iron for noise and longevity.

OEM G60
09-05-2012, 06:26 AM
I doubt he would find a belt driven compressor for $300 - $400!!

RedMk2Gti
11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
A good air compressor can serve your whole life, so either don't buy (like me) or buy the best one.
If you can stretch your budget, Peter's one is great, ABAC is good compressor, but bring it to WA is a problem :)