PDA

View Full Version : Lowered Passat - anyone got one?

Mac Dude
25-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Looking at downsizing the family car and love the specs of the TDI Passat (especially the 125kW due soon).

Took one(103kW) for a test drive today and was a little disappointed.

First of all, the front seemed to ‘float around’ a bit. Now this could be because the two cars we currently own (Ford XR6T & Mazda SP20) have sports suspension and are quite firm, and that's what I'm used to. The second characteristic was a lack of ‘road feel’, both through the seat and the steering wheel. I felt disconnected from the road which was disconcerting.

This has me wondering if the suspension is just too soft for me, so I was wondering what experiences people had with the lowered suspension which is an option.
Another factor might also be the seat – these were the leather options, which are very flat. I felt like I was perched ontop of the seats rather than sitting in them. This could be part of the lack of feel perception – both current cars have seats which support the thigh, and through this also provide more feedback from the car to driver.

Having said that, it’s still a great car, but now I’m thinking again...

sci_fianime
26-07-2007, 11:41 AM
am driving a lowered B5.5 and it does make a difference to the handling - car feels more planted...

but having said that, the Passat was designed as a family ride first, and as such was not meant to take corners flat out, so even when lowered, you need to be aware of the limitations...

another way to improve the handling is to upsize the anti-roll bars and wider tyres...

BL33SU
26-07-2007, 11:57 AM
i'v got a lowered b5 n wider tyres..
feels much better then s tock, not as floaty but i dont take corners hard so dont know how it would handle

AGO41T
29-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey, I have a 98 Passat lowered with 18" rims and I take the corners hard it sticks way better than the Mazda would as my mum has one and there is no comparison. If you are really worried you can get adjustable coilover suspension and it will stick to the road at any speed. :) Have fun

Mac Dude
29-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys.

Now I have to dig up a lowered Passat to have a spin in :)

It's currently a toss up between the Passat and a Volvo S40.

Anyway, I think the lowered version with cloth seats may be my solution... I found the leather quite flat which may have contributed to the lack of 'feel'.

AGO41T
30-07-2007, 09:09 AM
:rolleyes: I may be able to help you out. I don't have leather and would be willing to take you out for a rap if you like.

If you are in the sydney area give me a call and we may be able to arrange something.

1DUB2C has leather and it does feel completely different. I suppose it is what the individual likes. Both of our Passats are great and it would be great to have another one to join our Sydney cruises.

I will leave up to you. :D

BL33SU
30-07-2007, 05:11 PM
yeh my leather seats dont hold you in.. abit flat kind of thing, and too slippery

Mac Dude
30-07-2007, 07:15 PM
:rolleyes: I may be able to help you out. I don't have leather and would be willing to take you out for a rap if you like.

Damn, I'm in Melbourne :(

Thanks for the offer though! I'll be putting the pressure on the local dealers to see if they can find one for me to take for a spin.

I'll keep you updated...

phaeton
31-07-2007, 03:12 PM
R36 j: ???????

Mac Dude
31-07-2007, 08:31 PM
R36 j: ???????

lol, if they had it in a 125kW TDI I'd take it! :P

Man In Black (MIB)
06-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a 2007 V6 Passat with leather and the 18" wheel/sports suspenion. It is lowerd by 15mm. I think it's great. The car is so weded to the road its like it's on rails. No too hard over the bumps either. The problem I have is that I cannot compare it to the 17" wheel/non-lowered version. A lot of the motoring writers claim the 18" package is the one to go for if you're looking ofr performance.

Leather is fine. I haven't slipped around at all.

MIB

fuzion
21-08-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.vwaudistyle.ch/portal/media/gallery/Treffen_2007/VW%20Treffen%20Finnetrop%20(D)/vas_finnetrop07_014.jpg

one for ray :P

BL33SU
21-08-2007, 01:14 PM
LOL i wish,
jst went to get a wheel allignment 2day and was told waste of money coz i need new shocks

evs18t
23-09-2007, 09:12 AM
i just had a H&R Cup Kit put in my 99 and i love it. not too choppy and not too hard. it ****s on the "sports" springs that came from the factory.