PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 Turbo failed (REPOST)

njg02
25-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Sorry about the repost. Same message is in the MkV forum.

G'day all,
The turbo on my MkV 1.9 failed last sat. I just had the 75k service done. Will be off the road till next week a/c nil stock. I suggested they get a bigger aftermarket but alas, no.

The car is covered by warranty. It still went, very slowly and picked up speed on the back of the truck. Still a great car, and I'd buy another.

I havn't heard of any failing till mine. Apparently, sometimes things just die. They said they won't analyse to see why.

Anybody heard of any others failing?

NeilG

Ben_GTI
16-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I've read an ad on carsales for a Transporter who said the turbo was replaced 1 year ago..... or roughly where the van would have hit 80,000km....

Do turbo's blow quickly in diesels or something?

DUB 20V
16-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Sorry about the repost. Same message is in the MkV forum.

G'day all,
The turbo on my MkV 1.9 failed last sat. I just had the 75k service done. Will be off the road till next week a/c nil stock. I suggested they get a bigger aftermarket but alas, no.

The car is covered by warranty. It still went, very slowly and picked up speed on the back of the truck. Still a great car, and I'd buy another.

I havn't heard of any failing till mine. Apparently, sometimes things just die. They said they won't analyse to see why.

Anybody heard of any others failing?

NeilG

i was just talking to my mate thats works at vw he said they change about 5-6 aweek they are crap so he said :)

GoLfMan
16-09-2007, 09:51 PM
it might be because they are running quite high boost, and usually boost alot of the time compared to a petrol turbo???? daily driving would take its toll on the turbo especially if you just shut it off straight away after a journey.... would a turbo timer have helped in this situation anyone"?
good excuse to get a bigger turbo though :D

Jarred
16-09-2007, 10:08 PM
In general diesels are capable of running much higher boost than petrols, and too make them comparable to petrols (in terms of performance) more boost is required, althought them failing and VW having to replace 5-6 a week! thats alot.

I'd put it down to one thing - the turbo isn't reliable enough, either to run the higher boost or the stresses associated with everyday/peak hour traffic.
Although you would expect such a problem to occour on suc a popular brand of diesel car (internationally). You'd think they'd have it sorted by now...??

just my thoughts.

DUB 20V
16-09-2007, 10:20 PM
In general diesels are capable of running much higher boost than petrols, and too make them comparable to petrols (in terms of performance) more boost is required, althought them failing and VW having to replace 5-6 a week! thats alot.

I'd put it down to one thing - the turbo isn't reliable enough, either to run the higher boost or the stresses associated with everyday/peak hour traffic.
Although you would expect such a problem to occour on suc a popular brand of diesel car (internationally). You'd think they'd have it sorted by now...??

just my thoughts.

he said its the oil seal that goes if you can get a rebuild kit we can get a couple of these turbos.

anarchycamp
17-09-2007, 12:34 PM
i was just talking to my mate thats works at vw he said they change about 5-6 aweek they are crap so he said :)

5-6 a week would mean approx 250 a year just in that dealers area....ummm maybe a slight exageration :D

Golf Loon
17-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Also VW tend to change the whole turbo unit under warranty, rather than seals etc, as it is faster and reduces any chance of other componant failiure.

gldgti
20-09-2007, 11:29 AM
could be the turbo's themselves... remember vw dont make the turbo...

regardless of what car you drive, if you use the turbo a lot
(which you must in a new vw diesel - small turbo boosting all the time) then you should go through a turbo cool down sequence before stutdown, a period of idling allowing oild to keep running through the bearing. otherwise, it will fail prematurely.