PDA

View Full Version : lowering a T4 Transporter

vwtyp2
25-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyone had experience dropping their t4?
I just bought some 40mm lower springs and haven't fitted them yet cos I don't think 40mm will be enough.
I've also heard that Caravelles ride 40mm lower than Transporters.
How much can you drop it before ride quality gets ****house?
I dropped my T3 100mm on the front and 80mm on the back, and although it looked sweet, you needed a kidney belt on rough roads.
I've got a reasonable wheel-arch gap to get rid of, but I don't want it to ride like the T3 did.

Seano
25-07-2007, 10:51 AM
I haven't dropped my T4......I've actually raised it. But the principal is the same.

Velles do indeed ride lower than 'Porters but not 40mm.....it'd be more like 20mm.

The ride will stay good until such time as you get it low enough to repeatedly thump the bump stops. 40mm should be OK. However, bear in mind that it will be almost totally useless as a load carrying vehicle once you do the drop because any reasonable load will still make the wound down bars at the front flex like they were designed to do......which means you'll spend more time doing the bump stop break dance.....

The Poms that have dropped theirs 60mm almost always complain about what it has done to the ride - but they are typically loopy enough to think that its OK because it looks good. Very stupid people.

WEDEL.1
25-07-2007, 06:45 PM
"Dietrich" the Green T4 was loweredonce. I grew tired of the mudflaps dragging on the ground each time I reversed out of our driveway. By lowering, it also lowered the roll out awning fitted to the side of the van (not a good idea with my height).

Ride quality was OK, after I raised the front a little.

The bottom line for me was....It looked great lowered (what vehicle doesn't?), but it was no longer practical.

You pay the money, and you take the chances.

Maris

vwtyp2
25-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I found out that the lowest I can go is 379mm from the centre of the wheel to the edge of the wheel arch. It currently is 430 at the front and 450 in the back. So theoretically I can drop the front 50mm and the rear 70mm.
I just thought are the springs 40mm lower than Tranny or Velle?
If they're a 40mm Caravelle drop, then they'd be about right.
I don't intend to use the van for a heavy load carrying vehicle, I just fitted some rear seats and child restraints. The heaviest thing it'll carry is a few Mountain Bikes and riders.
I guess if I put the 40mm springs in and still want to go lower, I'll have some 40mm springs for sale.
Seano, while I was looking up the S.A. rules on height adjustment, it is actually illegal to raise a car in S.A.
Maris, how much did you lower the Green T4?

WEDEL.1
25-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I think it was 50mm, but I could be wrong.

The Volksfactory may still have the rear springs.

Maris

Seano
26-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Seano, while I was looking up the S.A. rules on height adjustment, it is actually illegal to raise a car in S.A.

Then perhaps I should consider myself fortunate then that I don't live in South Oz.....

vwtyp2
31-07-2007, 08:30 AM
well, I fitted the 40mm springs on friday night, and guess what?? It sits 40mm lower. I lowered the front by 50mm too.
I don't think I could get the front down any more than that without having the front end too loose.
It has affected the ride quality a little, but not to the extent of which my T3 was.
pics up soon...

Seano
31-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Well done. Make sure that the van sits 1 degree down at the front (otherwise you risk some interesting brake behaviour in emergency situations as a result of fooling the brake distribution valve) and that you get a front wheel alignment soonest as the camber will be out big time.

vwtyp2
02-09-2007, 06:48 PM
some pics since it's been lowered.http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=63081&pid=609872&aid=65104
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=63081&pid=609872&aid=65105
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=63081&pid=609872&aid=65103

vannin
24-02-2009, 08:31 PM
where do you get the lowered springs and what brand are they?
Thanks

Golf Loon
24-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I tried petrol springs in the diesel and it was just as high, so then I got the Diesel Springs reset 2.5 inches lower.

I just wound the front down to suit. I run 16" Wheels with a LT Tyre and the ride is awesome. I can go flat stick at 130 round a hairpin and not slide :)

Also because they are Diesel springs, I have awesome load arrying capacity and get no rubbing, even with a car trailer on the back and a load inside.

Scouser
05-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi There.
Just picked up a 1998 T4 Caravelle and looking to get some rear springs so I can get it out of the clouds.
I now have 2 VW vans 34 years apart, I know a bit about working on the old one but nothing on the newer one.
Just fitted a decent JVC head unit so I can use my Ipod, might be a little job but I only got the van last night.
Anyone know where I can also pick up some cheap Audi wheels in Adelaide

Thanks
Dave

Scouser
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Where is the best place to buy the rear lowered springs, any places in SA.
Thanks
Dave

Scouser
07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I contacted Kings springs and they wanted $400 to lower my own springs and would need them for 3 weeks??

I contacted Pedders at Marion, they wanted $1100 to lower it, drive in , drive out.
I asked how much to supply the springs and was quoted $675.

On Justkampers web site in the Uk the springs are 70 quid, so I have contacted their agent, Roy at The Bus Stop in Qld and hes getting me a price

Dave

rob64981
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
How friggin much????

Have you asked Simon at the Brickyard (brickwerks) in the UK how much it would be to get you a very good set of springs sent over?
Make sure you get a get set of springs or you might as well get some wooden blocks.
I know i bought some in the UK for one of my Caravelles and had to take them off a week later.
I was only driving to and from work with no load in the back.
God knows what it would of been like with a load of camping gear in the boot.
Rob

Transporter
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Just use the Google advance search function in top left corner. :)

Quick search gave me this very old threads.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f136/02-t4-lowering-springs-15717.html

vwtyp2
08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Universal springs on Port Rd. under their Aurora brand is where I got the ones done for my Transporter.
$200 from memory for NEW springs, not squatting my old ones.
They should be able to do it for you without needing your springs as they should still have the specs from doing mine. (about 2 1/2 years ago)

Scouser
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Will try Universal, thanks Dane.

Got a price to have some posted from Brickweks, the springs are 115 pounds and they want 125 pounds to post them, said they will come direct from AVO as they are not allowed to post to Australia,
Here is what they wrote when I asked if they could send them by British Post Office (ParcelForce)

Im afraid not. We cant actually send them to Australia. Our liability insurance wouldn’t cover us, so we have to arrange it through AVO, and they send direct.

UPS is the only shipper they use.

Can someone explain why their liability insurance would stop them posing them???

Dave

Sunny43.5
22-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I bought my son a 97 T4 to go Moto Cross racing , naturally the question of lowering came up . Checked with most suspension companies in Brisbane and also kings springs , prices and specs varied wildly and no one could give me a time frame or a confirmed price . Finally I stumbled onto and English VW mob in Sussex they had products listed on Ebay . I received a set of 40 ml lowered rear springs with matching shocks for front and rear German made they arrived 6 days after paying on Paypal and only took less than two hours to fit . The front is lowered by torsion bar adjustment , end result the van sits nice ride is absolutley spot on even with bikes and gear in the back no problems with bump stops etc , from memory all up about $580 delivered from UK

midway
10-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Also in SA and wanting to lower. I have a T5, and was quoted $900 for Eibach's from Syd about 6 months ago.
Still keep thinking about it, just havent got around to it yet. I will keep an eye on your progress Dave
Geoff

GoLfMan
10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Mate try Lorenz on here.

He run's slammed distribution and will find you any suspension you want :)

I'd recommend coilovers for the drop you want! (endlessly adjustable!)

p.s YAY 6000 posts

Scouser
13-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Got some lowered springs from Auroa, or Kings Springs on Port Rd.
Cost $200 ish for the new springs and another $100 for them to lower them, they supply and lower.
Took me about 40 mins to change them over.
Then just a 27mm spanner to lower the front.
Looks good, not too low, as Kings would only lower them 50mm

Dave

vwtyp2
23-08-2010, 09:25 PM
put some pics up Dave.
Still haven't seen your bus yet.

Scouser
23-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Will do on the weekend but there is a pic in the spotted in SA section
Dave

Scouser
26-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Here it is.
It has settled a bit lower on the front, back end the springs are 50mm lower and front just turned down to match, and a bit more for luck
The wheels are Golf GTI 17's

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/07/0064-1.jpg

And here it is with the split

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/0042-1.jpg

Dave

Dave

6thgear
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
damn the split sure has character....lovin it!

Lorenz
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
We can supply HotTuning coilovers for a T4 (and T5) Transporter van, $1350 delivered.
Kevo has recently installed a set in his T5 and it looks brilliant!