PDA

View Full Version : Engine break in 1.4 tsi 118 kw

Rawcpoppa
24-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I finally accepted delivery of my Jetta today and after looking thru the vehicle manual there is zero mention of a break in procedure. How does one break in a new car engine and tranny? Does the lack of info from VW mean this car can be driven like normal pretty much straight from the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel_vert
24-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I finally accepted delivery of my Jetta today and after looking thru the vehicle manual there is zero mention of a break in procedure. How does one break in a new car engine and tranny? Does the lack of info from VW mean this car can be driven like normal pretty much straight from the factory?

Yes, pretty much.

Just avoid very high revs when cold, like you would in any car really.

Also, gentle driving is the most efficient way to warm up modern cars.

And do be careful since your brake pads and tyres will be brand new. You won't achieve maximum friction and grip until they also are run-in.

Ryan_R
24-04-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/tips-breaking-brand-new-engine-42450.html

anthony
25-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Enjoy the new Jetta,it finally arrived...

Rawcpoppa
25-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks. Liking it so far

kaanage
25-04-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't know the exact differences between the 118kW version and the 125kW version used in the Polo 6R GTi but the Polos have been reporting some big issues with poor ring sealing and excessive oil usage. The ones with the least problems seem to be the ones have have been hammered within the 1st 100km.

see http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f128/polo-gti-high-oil-usage-discussion-thread-57967.html

Diesel_vert
26-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know the exact differences between the 118kW version and the 125kW version used in the Polo 6R GTi

One is badly made, the other one isn't. j:

but the Polos have been reporting some big issues with poor ring sealing and excessive oil usage. The ones with the least problems seem to be the ones have have been hammered within the 1st 100km.

see http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f128/polo-gti-high-oil-usage-discussion-thread-57967.html

Those who didn't run it in hard suffered issues, but those who did also suffered issues. It's also been reported worldwide, so that would suggest to me a fundamental problem with the engine (which is probably the case) whose affect is far greater than whatever run-in procedure the owner chose to perform.

ziggyboy
26-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Finally! Congrats on the new car. Just drive it normally and you'll be alright.

11,000 kms on and my engine still does not eat oil :)

Rawcpoppa
26-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks again.
By the way how does one quantify how much oil the engine is using? Dipstick just gives heads up on needing to add. *scratches head*

Also, keyless entry feature should mean once I have the remote within a certain area of the vehicle I should be able to open doors without actually pressing the remote yes?

Diesel_vert
26-04-2012, 10:57 AM
By the way how does one quantify how much oil the engine is using? Dipstick just gives heads up on needing to add.

The area between the MIN and MAX mark represents about 0.5 litres.

VW says oil consumption may be as high as 0.5 litres/1000 km depending on how the car is driven.

VW also says it is normal for new engines to consume oil at a higher rate than normal, but it should stabilise over time. If it consumes more than 0.5 litres/1000 km after 5000 km, see your dealer.

frozze
28-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Finally! Congrats on the new car. Just drive it normally and you'll be alright.

11,000 kms on and my engine still does not eat oil :)

Wow.. you've hit 11,000km already?? when did you pick the car up?? I got mine in Nov and I just hit 4500km!

ziggyboy
28-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Wow.. you've hit 11,000km already?? when did you pick the car up?? I got mine in Nov and I just hit 4500km!
Picked up the week before the Xmas holidays.

I live about 35kms from work so that's easily 70kms on days that I drive to work (on average thrice each week). Gone to Canberra twice, Wollongong thrice, and Central Coast once.... plus drives around Sydney on weekends :D

grtuned
28-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Keep an eye on dipstick level the easiest way to explain this measurement would be by looking at the end if the dipstick, the part which gives you a reading corresponds to about a litre of oil give and take!! Even if it is at its lowest level and oil light comes on there is still plenty if oil in motor. I see what you mean by the term keyless entry but this only means your not using the lock cylinder in the doors to open the vehicle. The jetta unfortunately did not come with the KESSY system. Enjoy your new jetta!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.