PDA

View Full Version : Steel braided brake line options

eccentric
23-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm looking at upgrading my brake lines when I flush my brake fluid to RPF600 soon as the standard setup doesn't hold up after 2 trackday sessions. Need some help as I couldn't find a firm answer googling. Thanks :)

1) Are the Golf R/R32 Golf brake lines as our Scirocco R lines?

2) Besides Goodridge, does anyone have any better alternative?

eccentric
22-05-2012, 11:27 PM
FYI, the Goodridge brake lines for the R32 golf fit the Scirocco R perfectly & Ferrodo DS2500 brake pads again for the R32 golf fit but small modifications needed to be made as they don't have the brake wear sensor, no check lights.

brad
23-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Is the RBF600 VW compatible? I recall somebody mentioning that VW brake fluid was lower viscosity than normal brake fluid - something to do with the ABS. Sorry I can't remember the full details.

That 600 stuff is great brake fluid though.

eccentric
23-05-2012, 09:08 AM
RBF600 worked very well on the track & so far haven't had any issues, will post again if my master cylinder blows up or something

brad
23-05-2012, 09:52 AM
It won't blow anything up. It's to do with how the sensors & valves in the ABS control unit react & modulate your brakes. It also affects the stability control.
here's a cut/paste from a brake parts vendor:

***Important note:*** Special low viscosity fluid designed to improve the response times of electronic braking and stability control systems such as ABS, ESP, ASR and TCS. The hydraulic units of these systems with ESP (Electronic Stability Program) have extremely small bores and ducts, and these systems were designed around special low viscosity fluids. Therefore the low viscosity fluids are required to take allow the ESP system to function as intended.

The VW spec is 501.14. Look also for the terms ISO 4925 class 6 & VW TL 776 Z.

maybe RBF600 meets the spec, otherwise there are other aftermarket options.
ATE SL.6 is one.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just help.

eccentric
23-05-2012, 01:20 PM
No raining on my parade, good to know more. Don't think I felt anything detrimental to any of the systems, considering I went with the standard brake setup the first time. If I'm not wrong there are plenty of golf R / R32 owners using RBF600 (those who do track work), so it can't be that bad. I still don't like the brake feel even after the changes though, might have to go AP Racing or Alcon.

On another note though, if you're planning to do any hard work on the brakes - the standard fluid is definitely not good enough.

MACCAA
23-05-2012, 10:59 PM
The main problem is the fluid,and after that the pad material.I have a 8P S3 Audi with the same brake set up.
Fluid is AP,pads are Ferodo 2500's.
Apart from being a great road/track pad,the way the outer pad is located goes a long way to giving a decent,consistent pedal on the track.
Tried other pads that located as per standard[ie rattled around in the outerside of the caliper] and the Ferodos are by far the best.
Saw a test once of steel brake lines v standard.Popular opinion is that standard rubber lines "swell' under pressure resulting in loss of pedal.The test didn't back that up.There was no measurable swelling in the rubber lines under pressure.
Maybe older lines may,but the new ones tested were as good as the steel ones
I have standard lines on mine ,with no problems whatsoever.
Cheers
Len.

eccentric
24-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I've read that the rubber and steel lines don't make much of a difference too, but I figured since I'm changing fluids and pads that I might as well do the lines at the same time for the wank factor :)