PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wheels

shami
23-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Just wondering, if anyones painted their own wheels? Any tips on doing so. Was thinking of black on my stock Mk4 golf gti rims.

Thanks

Shami

rayray086
23-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm about to try, but first I gotta fix some of the rash. I went to Autobarn looking for VHT's wheel paint but ended up getting some brake paint. I think any kind of paint should do, just make sure you put on clearcoat. If you're going for a matte/satin look, use a dedicated wheel paint/anti-chip/weather-resistant paint so a clear isn't necessary.

shaneth
23-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Have a look here Painting wheels - DIY (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=6204&highlight=wheel)

GoLfMan
24-07-2007, 07:54 AM
mate i've painted my own wheels, mk3 steelies...

preperation is absolutely everything in painting, poor preperation means poor results later on down the track, so take the time prepping it and you'll be happy with the results....

if you have a compressor and spray gun use that, but if you dont the rattle can still produces a nice job!:D

best of luck :)

KI11Z
27-07-2007, 04:22 AM
lol, I painted my rims matt black! I painted the two on one side with just those cheapcheap aussie export spray cans ($2ea) just t see how it looks and the prep included a quick wash of the wheel with suds; I liked and then took the time and money too purchase more expensive dedicated spray paint, sand paper and cleaning solutions for the other side; Still to this day, you wouldnt know the difference!!! :? :D lol . . .

So yeh . . .