PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for diagnostics? (internals) (TDI)

vk
18-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Hey guys,
Not having any problems as such, but this comes from not having driven any other TDI golfs etc..
Does anyone know the best methods to basically monitor/graph and diagnose any issues with.. for example the turbo, or the injectors?

I'm basically just looking for some instructions to check that everything is running fine..

The reason for this is mainly the way the car drives sometimes, the huge rush in acceleration and fast change of gear sometimes... to the not knowing to change gear, and soft pull on random occasions, it seems very random the way the car drives.

I am scheduled for a service with VW sometime soon, however I know asking them to check things without having a specific problem in hand will only cause more $$ to be spent, and or simply being ignored.

Thanks everyone!

ps. 2008 GT SPort TDI

benough
19-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Do you wanna re explain what this means?

"The reason for this is mainly the way the car drives sometimes, the huge rush in acceleration and fast change of gear sometimes... to the not knowing to change gear, and soft pull on random occasions, it seems very random the way the car drives."

I've read it three times, still don't understand, haha!

vk
19-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Do you wanna re explain what this means?

"The reason for this is mainly the way the car drives sometimes, the huge rush in acceleration and fast change of gear sometimes... to the not knowing to change gear, and soft pull on random occasions, it seems very random the way the car drives."

I've read it three times, still don't understand, haha!

Whoa nelly, I must have been extremely tired and typing on the phone did not help.

Was trying to address these issues:
- Sometimes the power comes in bursts, not very smooth, can better explain this but making car noises haha.

- Gear changes in sports mode aren't very sport, sometimes getting quite high and hitting a dead zone where it just makes loud noise before changing gear.

- Sometimes I get a nice pull from 60-100 for example, but sometimes it feels quite boring and gutless.

Having driven my parents MK6 TDI (smooth), its quite rough and sometimes unpredictable, I just wanted to check if its just the way DSG and the TDI performs, or if there may be an underlying issue.

- Take not I've had the mechatronics replaced twice but it's still the same feeling, so I was thinking maybe DSG, or something else.

Also, please realise I understand this could just be the way the car drives, and I have gotten used to it, and learnt to handle the revs etc to have a better drive, but was simply curious what kind of diagnostics (maybe in VCDS), I can perform to ensure everything is working fine, perhaps produce a boost graph, or something else that you may look at :D

Vrap

Greg Roles
19-04-2012, 04:52 PM
I have basic ELM5 OBD scanners from Scantools.net LLC where you can log anything you want, will have stock in about a week. $40 with software!! They cover all Australian cars, seems you need to log boost, injection, air temps, regens, DPF load etc etc.....

vk
19-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I have basic ELM5 OBD scanners from Scantools.net LLC where you can log anything you want, will have stock in about a week. $40 with software!! They cover all Australian cars, seems you need to log boost, injection, air temps, regens, DPF load etc etc.....

Sound good Greg!
Will probably save me sleepless nights trying to workout how to get my funky version of VCDS working!

benough
19-04-2012, 05:11 PM
To me it sounds like you just need to learn the motor and adapt your driving style.

Took me about six weeks to do so when I got my GT TDI but I am manual.

Don't stand on it til 1700rpm, otherwise you'll put too much soot into your DPF.

Anyone else want chime in?

Don't

vk
19-04-2012, 05:24 PM
To me it sounds like you just need to learn the motor and adapt your driving style.

Took me about six weeks to do so when I got my GT TDI but I am manual.

Don't stand on it til 1700rpm, otherwise you'll put too much soot into your DPF.

Anyone else want chime in?

Don't

Thanks Benough,
As I said, I have adapted to the way the car drives quite well now, but I don't it to be a thing where I am adapting to a fault haha. Just coming from the fact I haven't driven another mk5, and I haven't got a very deep understanding of cars, or history with cars, it would be good to have a check that everything is in working order.

Also, I do now only push it after 1700-1800, but I'd hate to see the state of my DPF, why wont that thing just fall out already >.>