PDA

View Full Version : reversing lights have stopped working

joshyd-mk2gti
19-03-2006, 07:35 PM
hey all,

the reversing lights on my mk2 have stopped working. the bulbs and fuse are all good. i recently got a stereo installed by tower audio (known for their high quality installs). so im thinking maybe they knocked a wire off without knowing it or the sub has vibrated something loose. :lol: ive had a look but havn't seen anything suspicious.

anyone got any ideas?

syncro
19-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Check the switch on the gearbox by joining the two wires together. These switches are a known problem.

joshyd-mk2gti
20-03-2006, 05:52 PM
ah cool. ahh, how can i get at the switch??? from the engine bay, cabin or..?

cheers cob

syncro
20-03-2006, 06:22 PM
On the gearbox.

Golf Loon
20-03-2006, 08:57 PM
If its not that, it could be an earth in the boot. Probably not if your other lights work.

Volksee77
23-03-2006, 11:33 AM
if you look at your gearbox under the brake booster you will see a llarge approx 1 inch fitting screwing into your gearbox with two wires attached. If you turn on the ignition and touch the two wires together it should turn on your reverse lights. If they don't turn on you can be sure that you either have no earth, no power or busted globes. If the lights do come on then the reverse switch in the box is shot (the reverse switch is actually the fitting which you pulled the wire off)
luke

joshyd-mk2gti
23-03-2006, 05:41 PM
ah thanks for that volks, ill check it out on the weekend when this laziness wears off.

joshyd-mk2gti
28-03-2006, 04:37 PM
yep the old switch is megangled. anyone know where i could get a new one? spose ill give repco a try first.

is there anything i need to be aware of when i take out the old switch? hot oil isnt gona spray out everywhere or anything...? im still learning..

Golf Loon
28-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Its pretty foolproof. No oil should come out, expecialy if you do it when the car is cold. I have secondhand ones if you cant get a newy.

static1800
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
My switch was gone, Wayne penrose tried to track one down for me when i bought the car from him. He had to get one from Vw and it was $150! ouch lucky i didnt pay for it

roccodingo
12-05-2006, 11:32 PM
My switch was gone, Wayne penrose tried to track one down for me when i bought the car from him. He had to get one from Vw and it was $150! ouch lucky i didnt pay for it

bought plenty thru these fellas, there may be cheaper but you can usually find what you need on there web site...

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Rabbit/Transmission/203/1

postage will be f*all on something like the reversing switch.. :wink:

click on the web page image.

gtimk5
13-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Most vw workshops would keep reverse light switches in stock, I'm sure. I currently stock about 6 of the very early micro switch and 10 of the usual late ones. They are very cheap to buy, ie. under $30 retail so VW must make an absolute fortune at $150!!!

joshyd-mk2gti
15-05-2006, 01:45 PM
do you have to spend over $100 on germanautoparts for international orders?? or have i got it mixed up with another site..? anyone know?

i still havnt got the switch yet....