PDA

View Full Version : Service - Based on KM in Service schedule or Car display?

preeman
13-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi All,
I have just gone past 10,000Kms in the car and was thinking about the first service.

It notes in the manual there are two options.

"According to Service Interval Display (every 15,000 km/ 10,000 miles or after 1 year - whichever comes first)"

My Display says service due in 14,200 Km (or 400 days), that would make the total 24,200 Km.
Or should I be booking in for 15,000 Km?

ozr
13-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I will be doing my oil and filter every 10k as I use synthetic but if i was using a good mineral every 5k for oil and 10k for filter.
So you need to decide but schedule says 15k so dont understand what is up with your indicator - must have been reset some how

Umai Naa!!
13-04-2012, 09:37 PM
The service reminder has been coded wrong. No big deal. They can rectify this when you have the car serviced.

As you've stated, the service intervals are 15,000klms or every 12 months, whichever occurs first. It is to try and cater for those who either do a lot of distance in a short time, or do very little driving at all.

quozl
13-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Actually if you look at the code on the sticker in the front of your service manual and match it with the info on the top of page page 3 of your service manual titled "Your First Service" the Scirocco's that were built for and came to Australia have been built and oiled with a long life service interval CODE QG1

BUT

Having spoken to the service manager he mentioned that in Australia due to the climate and road conditions VW Australia recommend you use a distance time based interval regardless and hence bring it in at 15,000 KM / 1 year intervals.

Also if you are changing to a distance / time based interval make sure once they have done the first service and changed the oil from long life that you select the right synthetic oil for topping up your oil and don't keep using a long life oil to top up with. The correct Oil can be found in the supplement from Castrol that came with your car.

Cheers Al

preeman
13-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Ok, the code on the front is QG1 - Which is LongLife service based on indicator.

Is everyone else also on QG1?

In any case I will go see the service department for Denlo Parramatta tomorrow and see what they say. Any other VW service departments as I should go to instead of Denlo Parramatta?

preeman
16-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Ok, so I have been told that need to do the services every 15,000 and the Car just needs to be reset and the QG1 on the front of the service schedule is not correct.

Also, just looking at the cost, it is $460!!!!

Based on the service schedule the minor service is only Oil Change Service made up to 4 things!

Brake Pad/Brake Disk Check
Engine Oil is changed
Dates of next service are entered into service sticker
Service display is reset.

Those 4 things need all day and $460??

ConR
16-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Look elsewhere for service as well. Dealerships are known for being overpriced. I believe Exotic Cars in Parra does it for around $250 or so. Keeps warranty intact.

I plan on changing the oil every 7500km. Mainly due to the mods I will be running. No harm in it.

Umai Naa!!
16-04-2012, 02:21 PM
The $460 covers the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth special tools and diagnostic equipment that the dealership leases off VW, among other things.

You can shop around, although $460 isn't the most expensive I've seen. The cheapest was $383 at Wakelings in Campbelltown.

preeman
20-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Ok, now that I am over the cost, which I still think is massive!

I rang around and some dealerships offer a R certified engineer service? Does this mean that the other dealers don't have a certified tech to do the work? Does this mean I am going to get a worse service? How can VW allow that?