PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Mirror Caps EOI

Andych
11-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I have managed to source Carbon Fibre Mirror caps which go over the top of the standard mirrors using double sided tape.

The quality looks to be pretty good as can be seen in the pics below....

Depending on numbers of course I work it out to around $220 a pair delivered.
I am looking to find out how many people would be interested in buying a set at that price range?
There are other CF parts available as well including Cup spoiler and bonnets (vented and standard) but they are all pretty expensive.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/andrewchoake/Scirocco%20R/Mirror%20Caps/Scirocco-Mirror-Cover-3.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/andrewchoake/Scirocco%20R/Mirror%20Caps/Scirocco-Mirror-Cover-2.jpg

Tim
11-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Not wanting to step on your toes but if these are the JC Sportline ones I may be able to get them significantly cheaper than the above price. They are not normally a product we bring in but I am happy to help out if you wish.

The catch is that minimum order qtys apply. They also do a full mirror cover replacement as opposed to just a stick on one which should also work out cheaper than the above price including GST and freight.

Keep On Rocc'in
11-04-2012, 03:06 PM
mmm, personally I think the carbon fibre thing is a bit passe. So no not for me thanks anyway.

Andych
11-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Not wanting to step on your toes but if these are the JC Sportline ones I may be able to get them significantly cheaper than the above price. They are not normally a product we bring in but I am happy to help out if you wish.

The catch is that minimum order qtys apply. They also do a full mirror cover replacement as opposed to just a stick on one which should also work out cheaper than the above price including GST and freight.

That is cool Tim, no not the JC Sportline ones, although the company I was looking at may well get there gear from there.

I am more than happy to look at alternatives, I wasn't looking to make anything on these so let us know what sort of quantity and lets see if there is enough interest for a Group Buy....

From what I remember on the full replacement ones was you still had to use DS tape as the Carbon is too brittle to have the same clips...but again.... that wasn't JC Sportline.

Tim
11-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Ive only seen the mk5 ones in person and they used an OEM Mirror cover as the base which they then carbon wrapped. The quality looked pretty nice.

Minimum wholesale qtys are usually 10.

Andych
11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Ive only seen the mk5 ones in person and they used an OEM Mirror cover as the base which they then carbon wrapped. The quality looked pretty nice.

Minimum wholesale qtys are usually 10.

What would be the pricing if we were able to arrange 10?

Tim
11-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I would need to make some enquiries to confirm pricing but just the cf covers would probably end up being around $135inc and the full replacement mirror caps around $185.

Thats just guestimating shipping/import duty etc but gives you an idea.

Reginald
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Would definitely be interested here. I think the full replacements would be the go if cost permits

Valver.
11-04-2012, 09:30 PM
You guys really need to refine your parts-finding skills :-s

Cost me 86.55AUD on the doorstep a few weeks ago...

Wholesale CC scirocco carbon fiber mirror cover for VW passat (http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/536647146-CC-scirocco-carbon-fiber-mirror-cover-for-VW-passat-wholesalers.html)

walbjj
11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
as an aside. i have used jc sportlines cf covers on my mk6 gti and they were terribly made. i received my first set and the cf sheet (it isnt a full cf mirror but rather a layer of cf sheet then glossed over) wasnt even finished properly, it had rough spots and the clips inside had been snapped off, i emailed them and they sent a new set
the new set lasted 1 month, then it rained hard and water got underneath the cf layer and it started to bubble. pretty piss poor.
i then did it right and bought osir cf covers while i was in hong kong. they worked out to be about aud$250, but i got a osir lip as well.

my advice from experience, dont bother with the double sided stuff, it looks cheap, and the ebay ones are just terrible with quality. do it right, email osir and ask when they are planning on doing a roc mirror cover.
just a question, how diff is the roc mirror to the golf mirror, it looks the same

Andych
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
You guys really need to refine your parts-finding skills :-s

Cost me 86.55AUD on the doorstep a few weeks ago...

Wholesale CC scirocco carbon fiber mirror cover for VW passat (http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/536647146-CC-scirocco-carbon-fiber-mirror-cover-for-VW-passat-wholesalers.html)

Care to share the quality and some photos?

walbjj
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
its jc sportline. as i mentioned, its buyer beware with their quality. im not saying there might be good ones, but the 2 that i got were sub par, even if free

Andych
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
its jc sportline. as i mentioned, its buyer beware with their quality. im not saying there might be good ones, but the 2 that i got were sub par, even if free
Yep.. I read that... what I was asking for was info on a very recent purchase as a second opinion...

As for OSIR I have tried asking direct and through Rennenhaus and absolutely nothing... so that is a dead end street at this stage.

walbjj
11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
ok, try contacting monster garage in hk, u will deal with patrick. they are more than willing to send to australia, and shipping by ems will be at most $20-30

Andych
11-04-2012, 10:42 PM
ok, try contacting monster garage in hk, u will deal with patrick. they are more than willing to send to australia, and shipping by ems will be at most $20-30

Contacting them for what??? OSIR don't have a mirror cap to suit the Scirocco.I just spent 5 minutes searching the Monster Garage site and it just isnt listed.
That is one of the reasons for looking elsewhere.

walbjj
11-04-2012, 10:53 PM
ok, from what i understand, osir keep bringing new products out, i actually had to wait a few months for the cf mirror covers for the golf as there were not on the market yet.
having said that, how much of a difference is the roc to the golf for the mirrors? they look fairly similiar, the roc may be slightly slimmer, but its hard to see without comparing them side by side. if they r actually the same, then that would be easy, just buy golf cf covers

Tim
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
What would be the pricing if we were able to arrange 10?

Just got a reply from the manufacturer. Just the covers I can do for $100 and the whole replacement caps $149. I have to pay GST and import duty though so no chance of competing with buying direct from China as per the link above.

Valver.
12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Care to share the quality and some photos?

I haven't installed them yet, but I'll get some photos up as soon as I do... I haven't even photographed my car at all yet, which is very unlike me :)

You generally do get what you pay for with composite stuff, but the Chinese are pretty good with it!

OSIR products are laughably overpriced, to put it bluntly. For similar money, you can have anything custom made in raw Toray carbon by K-Tech and the quality is absolutely next level.

DVSTwig
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Aren't they the same as Passat CC/EOS ones?