PDA

View Full Version : Non starting kjet / dissy advance?

Golf Loon
17-03-2006, 06:58 PM
So I have a kjet engine that will not start.
It has good compression, spark and fuel to the fuel distributor.
I have tried spraying start u bastrd into the inley manifold and cleaned the plugs. Nothing.
Any ideas guys?

imported_brackie
17-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Bring it to TDC and pull out #1 plug lead or remove and earth the plug. Turn the motor by hand and make sure it sparks at the right time. If it does, this eliminates timing as the problem.
Pull an injector and with the ignition on and the throttle plate open you should have fuel.
If there's fuel, a spark at the right time, and compression the bloody thing should run! (Well, it got past the Oz censors!) :D

Golf Loon
17-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Bloody oath! I`m onto it first thing in the morning. Thanks mate.
Back to basics. :lol:

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 06:49 AM
So I set the timing to TDC and now it makes noises. It turns over and just as it catches and is about to go, it dies. If you open the throttle, it dies. I`m thinking insufficient fuel pressure?

Does anyone know wheather it`ll run without vacuum advance?

I`m gonna go and try changing the pressure accumulator and the cold start valve.

syncro
19-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Disconnect vacuum advance and plug the hose, then set timing to around 6 BTDC. Timing like that will be 95% OK.

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Disconnect vacuum advance and plug the hose, then set timing to around 6 BTDC. Timing like that will be 95% OK.

Thats Gold mate, cheers. This is a 16v Kjet motor and if i dont need the vacuum advance, it means that I can use the simple GTI injection system with no computer!

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 10:38 AM
It Goes It Goes!

Changed the pressure accumulator and the fuel fileter, still didn`t work. Then I realized the very quiet fuel pump was in fact the non working fuel pump!

Hooked up a wire to the pump and car started. Now I have to sort out the fuel pump replay and about 20 other little things which are not connected.

It sounded real beefy though, I cant wait to go for a spin in the sucker.

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Ok the car starts and runs, still cant drive as I cant find a clutch cable connector, very annoying.

Having spoken to a couple of you, Syncro, Steve and DOHCDave, i still have questions.

I am running a KR 16v motor with kjet injection and no vacuum advance, and there seems to be some debate as to whether there is mechanical advance in the dissy or not. Again does it matter? The motor free revs to the redline and sounds fine, will it have any impact when driving? or does it not matter?

Anyone have any answers?

I have the harness etc to hook up a computer, but this car was already kjet and it was heaps easier to just hook up what was there. All the connectors matched up and as I say it seems ok.

syncro
19-03-2006, 07:46 PM
There is no computer for K-Jet. The computer is the advance for the distibutor for a 16V.

roccodingo
20-03-2006, 07:33 PM
There is no computer for K-Jet. The computer is the advance for the distibutor for a 16V.

yep, syncro is right, engine spark advance is taken care of by the engine management computer and a knock sensor + control box if fitted ( US spec PL engines etc..)

you can retrofit the knock sensor to earlier 8 valve engines also, giving you more initial advance ... :wink:

Golf Loon
20-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah I know that Guys.

What I want to know is this:

The engine is running without a computer, just kjet, not ke-jet.
Obviously it does not have a vacuum or mechanical advance from the dissy. Does this matter? Why?

If it does matter, can I butcher a polo or similar dissy that has mechanical advance and whack it on.

I want to know this, not just for me, but for others out there running 16vs on basic kjet systems. You know who you are.........

The only symptoms so far seem to be a lumpy idle, which could be a cold start reg or something anyway. I drove the car back 3 feet today.
Wahoo, but I still need a fan and an alternator bracket and some other bits. Its going for a blatt round the block very soon though. Sounds hectic when you free rev it!

imported_brackie
21-03-2006, 05:33 AM
I've got a fan if you need it :)

roccodingo
22-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah I know that Guys.

What I want to know is this:

The engine is running without a computer, just kjet, not ke-jet.
Obviously it does not have a vacuum or mechanical advance from the dissy. Does this matter? Why?

""Yes it does matter, the computer and knockbox in the CIS-E set up does the engine timing chore, advancing the timing point when engine speed increases etc.. For use with a CIS Basic set up you will need a saab distributor with the vacuum advance mechanism in it, [ from my text archive...16V dist. Vac advance type, use SAAB, 900 8Valve , 1982 - 1985.] ""

If it does matter, can I butcher a polo or similar dissy that has mechanical advance and whack it on.

""Dunno, anythings possible i guess..:roll:""

I want to know this, not just for me, but for others out there running 16vs on basic kjet systems. You know who you are.........

The only symptoms so far seem to be a lumpy idle, which could be a cold start reg or something anyway. I drove the car back 3 feet today.
Wahoo, but I still need a fan and an alternator bracket and some other bits. Its going for a blatt round the block very soon though. Sounds hectic when you free rev it!

Golf Loon
22-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a saab dissy, but it fouls on the Master cylinder. Can I raise the bottle up with some hose or something?

82cab
23-03-2006, 11:19 AM
just a thought, why don't you unbolt the booster and kick it from behind there. Its a but further back from the dizzy and you might just get enough clearance.

Golf Loon
23-03-2006, 05:18 PM
just a thought, why don't you unbolt the booster and kick it from behind there. Its a but further back from the dizzy and you might just get enough clearance.

What?

aprr32
23-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Get a 1500/S Bug/Type 3 brake resovoir and mount it on the strut tower an connect it with some hose, works for all the 16v conversions that we do.

Golf Loon
23-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Get a 1500/S Bug/Type 3 brake resovoir and mount it on the strut tower an connect it with some hose, works for all the 16v conversions that we do.

Nice. What do you connect at the MC end? a connector, or just jam some hose in?

Golfwise
23-03-2006, 10:25 PM
little right angle connectors.
Come on use some imagination.
By them at Repco Bursons sort of place.
Beetles or Kombis have them but I won't touch anything aircooled.
Mk3 abs have little green ones I've used before too and the Golf resevoir.and a bit of hose.Too easy :roll:

Golf Loon
23-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah sounds good. All I need now is a saab dissy. The annoying thing is that I have one somewhere. I have looked for ages, but I cant find the damn thing.