PDA

View Full Version : Yeti #2 for low depreciation in UK

bluey
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Named: Depreciation winners and losers | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/280729/named_depreciation_winners_and_losers.html)

65.4% retained value after 3 years, only beaten by Audi Q5 at 72.5%. Some commenters mentioned the figures could be skewed by dealers having inflated list prices but lower street prices, therefore looking like higher depreciation i the official figures than is real.

So will that mean Yeti's will retain value in Australia more than other Skoda models??????

K1W1
07-04-2012, 08:49 AM
65.4% retained value after 3 years, only beaten by Audi Q5 at 72.5%.

I didn't think that the Yeti had been on the market for 3 years even in the UK. The retained value figure is probably just an actuaries calculation not a reflection on reality.
As far as Australia is concerned they haven't got a hope in hell of retaining their value any better than other Skodas. In fact I would say that they will be worse than Octavias here.
You forgot to mention the other high scorers that give that list the real credibility it deserves, the Fiat 500 and the Suzuki Jimny the same Suzuki Jimny that can no longer be sold in Victoria because it doesn't meet current safety requirements.

Audi Q5 72.5%
Skoda Yeti 65.4%
Abarth 500 60.0%
Fiat 500C 58.4%
Suzuki Jimny 57.9%
Volkswagen Scirocco 57.6%
Audi A3 56.9%
Porsche Panamera 56.7%
Audi R8 56.5%
Honda CR-V 56.4%

Transporter
07-04-2012, 09:54 AM
The 65% resale value is pretty good, but would I really care, if I would get only 55% after 3years?

IMO, people who change the car after 2-3 years, (hell even after 5 years) have enough money, if they can afford it. They don't buy the car based on the resale value, they buy what they want. I have to keep our cars on the road a bit longer, so the resale value doesn't worry me that much.

I'm sure that Yeti performs well in overseas markets and to answer the OP question about the Yeti retaining its value in here more than other Skoda models? I think that, if there aren't too many around and someone wants it, then yes and there will always be a buyer who likes that particular car. However, if you keep Yeti for a long time (+8 years), I don't think that you would care too much about that. :)

VAG newbie
07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
IMO, people who change the car after 2-3 years, (hell even after 5 years) have enough money, if they can afford it. They don't buy the car based on the resale value, they buy what they want.

That's not really true. Many people including myself use novated lease because it has tax benefit so we have to change car every 3 years. Resale value is definitely a concern when I picked the car. But it was not the only consideration. I bought an Accord Euro because it has good resale (it really has. I made $2500 profit at the end of the lease) but I didn't enjoy the car. This time I picked the Superb and I know it's resale will be shocking, but at least I enjoy it every time I'm in it.

Of course, if the resale is too shocking then I'll lease it for another couple more years.

K1W1
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
That's not really true. Many people including myself use novated lease because it has tax benefit so we have to change car every 3 years.

If you are getting the tax benefit then you shouldn't be so concerned about the depreciation because you may still be ahead anyway. Depreciation is a concern for those people who are not in a position to claim their vehicle as a tax deduction and who have to pay their own post tax money to purchase it.

VAG newbie
08-04-2012, 12:17 AM
If you are getting the tax benefit then you shouldn't be so concerned about the depreciation because you may still be ahead anyway. Depreciation is a concern for those people who are not in a position to claim their vehicle as a tax deduction and who have to pay their own post tax money to purchase it.

Yes, but people including myself, are greedy. In most cases, we are already ahead with the tax benefit, but it still feels much better if at the end of the lease when your car is worth a lot more than the residual. So not only you can pay off the residual, you can keep the extra money. I'm sure most people don't mind extra couple of $1000s in their pocket :P

K1W1
08-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm sure most people don't mind extra couple of $1000s in their pocket :P

Most people are not getting a tax refund every day they own their car.
You were correct - greedy.

Transporter
08-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Yes, but people including myself, are greedy. In most cases, we are already ahead with the tax benefit, but it still feels much better if at the end of the lease when your car is worth a lot more than the residual. So not only you can pay off the residual, you can keep the extra money. I'm sure most people don't mind extra couple of $1000s in their pocket :P

I would never say to you that you were greedy. ;)

:)