PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to VCDS?

DkN
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
First up, just a disclaimer I am NOT talking about Vagdiagnostics. I did purchase one from them some time ago thinking they were a similar product, but in fact it was blatant piracy. Instructions for installation include "install ONLY our version of VCDS, make sure you are not connected to the internet when you run it" and "NEVER update the software otherwise the cable will not work".

Anyway, what I'm talking about is the VCP cable from Vag-tech.eu:

VAG CAN PROFESSIONAL (http://www.vag-tech.eu/)

Looks promising and from the look of the user interface, looks like a slicker version of VCDS. I've not looked into it too deeply yet, but one huge advantage it has over VCDS is that it is capable of flashing the ECU. If my interpretation is correct that means you get the benefit of a flashloader (although for limited ECUs) PLUS full diagnostic functionality - considering a flashloader and VCDS each costs about $350 separately, this does sound pretty tempting, especially at 185 Euro which translates to about $250AUD.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has actually bought this cable? There seems to be no mention of it anywhere in the usual forums.

Ryan_R
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
The software differences would be negligible since the most your able to do is limited by the cars control modules anyway. VCDS looks more up to date than that interface, and they have good support as well, so personally I'd rather stick with them.

I do use my phone to check/erase ECU faults & for data logging though.

DkN
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Agreed VCDS support is unmatched, just thought it was a little strange that I can't seem to find any user community for VCP since it does look to be a perfectly viable option. ECU flashing would also be very interesting and useful for those with custom tunes that do not offer a flashloader.

On a side note, what program do you use on your phone?

edit: I just thought of this, but since VCP is controlling the same modules etc, would long coding or other coding blocks used in VCDS work in VCP?

Ryan_R
04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Phone app is here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Works very well along with a generic $15 OBD2 bluetooth adapter from eBay.

My only question with ECU flashing is - what are you going to flash with it? You need to (purchase) software which comes with its own means of installation already afaik.

Transporter
04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Phone app is here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Works very well along with a generic $15 OBD2 bluetooth adapter from eBay.

My only question with ECU flashing is - what are you going to flash with it? You need to (purchase) software which comes with its own means of installation already afaik.

I bought that one too, it cost me less than $30 with the app fro Android market and it looks really good. :)
But, there is one little problem I have with it. I'm not sure if it comunicates properly with the modules in the ECU? The VCDS and even my Snap-on scanner takes some time when it opens and closes the comunication with the all control modules. So, I use it with a bit of caution, since I don't want to get any grimlins in any of my cars. In any case make sure that you plug it in and take it out always with the ignition off.

Ryan_R
04-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Hmm, I've just left it in since I got it (removed only when had the car serviced), and occasionally run Torque. Haven't had any issues.

DkN
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I think what Transporter means is that if you are unplugging it, make sure the ignition is off. There can be no harm done if you leave it in after turning off your ignition. But anyway I use Torque too but unfortunately my phone's bluetooth died (dropped in seawater...) shortly after purchasing it so I didn't realise it had some more advanced functions.

Anyway on the topic of ECU flashing for the VCP, it does read ECU files too so as long as the tuned file is not locked (which is becoming more common these days - I know Viezu claims they don't lock their files), you can read your original ECU file before a flash, and read it again after the flash and you would have both files flashable via VCP on your computer.