PDA

View Full Version : Launching technique- Manual S3/Golf R

adamtassell
03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey, Any one who has had experience with an manual golf r/ s3- what kind of technique and revs have you found works best. Mine is stage 2+ if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated so I can minimise experimentation and keep my clutch healthy :-)

Thanks for the help
Adam

kai_h
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Fast launches in an AWD car are never good for the clutch. Something has to slip, and in a FWD car it's the front wheels that spin. In an AWD car, it's the clutch that needs a bit more slippage than in a FWD car as you have to keep the engine revs up during the takeoff.

It's all about finding the right technique, which can take some trial and error, but when you get it you'll know it as your car will seem like it's launching into orbit.

In the Bora 4mo that I used to have, it was a matter of revving it to around 3-4k and then letting the clutch out as you stamp on the accelerator so that the engine kept revving at the same speed as the vehicle picked up speed... Unfortunately, this isn't going to be the best thing you can do to your clutch, but it's so much fun that you'll cease to care...

gareth_oau
05-04-2012, 01:04 AM
have a read here:

Best way to launch Haldex (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/78818-best-way-launch-haldex.html)

some views on a uk forum

Scuby_snax84
05-04-2012, 05:56 AM
I asked the same question to a local tuner who is big into drag racing evo lancers. He told me the best way to do it is to have the handbrake up. Let the clutch out until you feel it biting and then back it off about 2mm. Bring the revs up to 4000-5000rpm and as you let the handbrake down just swap the clutch pedal for the throttle. I guess working out the speed to swap them is down to practice. He told me in awd cars your best bet is to have the drivetrain loaded up before launching as this will reduce the chance off snapping something.

Since discussing this with him I have tried it once or twice and it appears to work well.

adamtassell
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys- will give that a try.

Years ago i had a wrx and that launched with no particular skill- the S3 seems to bog down a lot easier- though i have not tried since having the tune etc done. Hopefully the extra power will help