PDA

View Full Version : Standard Suspension measurements

Andych
30-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I picked up my Eibach Pro-Kit springs today from Eibach at Warriewood and they measured the wheel arch gap so that we can compare it later after I have had the springs fitted.

We found it to be a little strange as the numbers below will indicate...
Measured from the underside of the Guard to the centre of the wheel.

Drivers side Front - 370mm
Passengers side Front - 379mm

Drivers side Rear - 375mm
Passengers side Rear - 370mm

I was not in the car at the time and fuel was at 50%. Even if the car was empty the 40 kg (55 lires) would not make that much of a difference.

So guys and girl (s).. get your tape measures out and lets have a comparison of standard cars... Bain can provide us with lowered figures :)

team_v
30-03-2012, 06:36 PM
The battery is pretty heavy and there are a lot of other bits and pieces that aren't in the middle.

That is why when you get adjustable coilies that it's not always the best idea to have them even all around.

Andych
30-03-2012, 06:44 PM
The battery is pretty heavy and there are a lot of other bits and pieces that aren't in the middle.

That is why when you get adjustable coilies that it's not always the best idea to have them even all around.
That doesn't make any sense... the passengers side front sits higher... WITH everything in the car...the battery is not in any way heavy enough to have any effect...

Actually that is one of the benefits of adjustable Coil Overs... you can adjust them to level the car out.. specifically when the driver is in it...

she_dub
30-03-2012, 07:27 PM
So guys and girl (s).. get your tape measures out and lets have a comparison of standard cars... Bain can provide us with lowered figures :)

What about if one doesn't have a tape measure? :sticktongue:

Andych
30-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Umm have your detailer measure them tomorrow.. :)

team_v
30-03-2012, 07:44 PM
That doesn't make any sense... the passengers side front sits higher... WITH everything in the car...the battery is not in any way heavy enough to have any effect...

Actually that is one of the benefits of adjustable Coil Overs... you can adjust them to level the car out.. specifically when the driver is in it...

Jeez, go off much?
I was adding information that is directly relevent to your post.
The batter is pretty heavy compared to a lot of other components, then you have a lot of other items such as rear muffler etc.
It probably also accounts for a full fuel tank and levelling/wearing over time.

The car isn't meant to be dead level so if you level it out with coils you will be putting extra pressure on components which will make them wear out faster.

Andych
30-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Jeez, go off much?
I was adding information that is directly relevent to your post.

Really.... lets see how relevant.

The batter is pretty heavy compared to a lot of other components, then you have a lot of other items such as rear muffler etc.

As I said before...the battery is already in the car..and on the passengers front.. it doesn't get heavier with age..that is the side which is high... relevant.. Um no...
The rear muffler... is central and equally weighted per side... relevant... Um no...

It probably also accounts for a full fuel tank and levelling/wearing over time.
The fuel tank is central... and it was half full.. even if empty it is only a difference of 40 kg... and equally distributed side to side... relevant... Um.. no

The car isn't meant to be dead level so if you level it out with coils you will be putting extra pressure on components which will make them wear out faster.

So you are saying that VW and all manufacturers make their vehicles to be warped so that they don't wear out as fast as they would if they were level???

Unless you have specific Scirocco standard suspension measurements...it isn't relevant to this thread...

team_v
30-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Really.... lets see how relevant.

As I said before...the battery is already in the car..and on the passengers front.. it doesn't get heavier with age..that is the side which is high... relevant.. Um no...
The rear muffler... is central and equally weighted per side... relevant... Um no...

The fuel tank is central... and it was half full.. even if empty it is only a difference of 40 kg... and equally distributed side to side... relevant... Um.. no

So you are saying that VW and all manufacturers make their vehicles to be warped so that they don't wear out as fast as they would if they were level???

Unless you have specific Scirocco standard suspension measurements...it isn't relevant to this thread...

I am more than happy for you to pull apart the entire car to work out what components weigh more and sit in off-centre locations.
The jack sits on one side of the car, the windscreen washer bottle also, as well as the coolant bottle.
Every little bit adds up, hell there is probably more intercooler piping on one side than the other as well as well as a single reverse light connector.

The stock muffler does actually have an extra pipe on the right hand side which would add a bit more weight and has the kink which puts further weight on the left hand side. See here: http://www.millteksport.com/images/custom/983.jpg

Also the fuel tank does actually have more storage on the drivers side when full.

My point was that VW and a lot of other manufacturers don't have cars that sit dead level on each corner from the factory so if you level it out you will be putting more stress on the suspension components than the factory had designed them for.

Obviously you have a chip on your shoulder still about the soundaktor.

Andych
30-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I am more than happy for you to pull apart the entire car to work out what components weigh more and sit in off-centre locations.
The jack sits on one side of the car, the windscreen washer bottle also, as well as the coolant bottle.
Every little bit adds up, hell there is probably more intercooler piping on one side than the other as well as well as a single reverse light connector.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about... it is a really simple concept... I have not touched the car... the battery and all those other items you mention are all there already... AS STOCK STANDARD... the car sits with the PASSENGER side FRONT higher than the drivers side front... and the DRIVERS side REAR sits lower than the passengers side... the weight of those items is irrelevant....just as your posts...

My point was that VW and a lot of other manufacturers don't have cars that sit dead level on each corner from the factory so if you level it out you will be putting more stress on the suspension components than the factory had designed them for.
I never suggested my car should be dead level... you brought that up... and the reality is that most cars are designed to ride level with a Standard driver weight.. therefore they should be slightly higher on the drivers side when stationary... without the driver.. but I doubt you will understand such a simple premise....

Obviously you have a chip on your shoulder still about the soundaktor.
Right... like I could care less.. as I said before... you have nothing relevant to add to this thread.

Keep On Rocc'in
30-03-2012, 10:48 PM
MMM I was thinking the fat b$%tard sitting in the drivers seat has, over time, permanently deformed the springs which in turn has put the others out of whack ROFLMAO
Mine is probably gunna have the same problem :) ha ha ha I think it is time to lighten up a bit.

ozr
02-04-2012, 09:53 AM
AndyCH
I just measured from ground to top of wheel arch
REAR 690mm
FRONT 680mm
and it was square all round...exactely
Not a mm here or there exactely

peter

Hope that helps

THE_EGG
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about... it is a really simple concept... I have not touched the car... the battery and all those other items you mention are all there already... AS STOCK STANDARD... the car sits with the PASSENGER side FRONT higher than the drivers side front... and the DRIVERS side REAR sits lower than the passengers side... the weight of those items is irrelevant....just as your posts...

I never suggested my car should be dead level... you brought that up... and the reality is that most cars are designed to ride level with a Standard driver weight.. therefore they should be slightly higher on the drivers side when stationary... without the driver.. but I doubt you will understand such a simple premise....

Right... like I could care less.. as I said before... you have nothing relevant to add to this thread.

jeez dude take it easy, he was only trying to help determine what is weighing the car down on each corner/side. Even though he isn't providing figures at least he is trying to help. There is no need to bite back at him for trying to help.

Brendan_A
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I can't believe you are paranoid about a few mm difference in ride height from corner to corner. Why don't you take it back to your dealer and watch them laugh at you.

Just enjoy the car and stop measuring. Cars aren't built perfect.

eccentric
02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
This might be a simple question but might have be overlooked - did you measure on a level surface?

Also you might want to wait while the springs set in a little.

team_v
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Also were all the tyre pressures identical and the tyres worn evenly?
I know there have been a few issues where new owners have had tyres wear very quickly due to miss-alignment from the factory/boat ride over which may add to the problems.

ozr
02-04-2012, 01:41 PM
He measured from hub to top of wheel arch.
The flat tyre is on the bottom ...no difference in tyre pressures....LOL
Also were all the tyre pressures identical and the tyres worn evenly?
I know there have been a few issues where new owners have had tyres wear very quickly due to miss-alignment from the factory/boat ride over which may add to the problems.

quozl
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
You will want these settings to pass on to your alignment shop after you have any suspension work done to your car as well.

The Scirocco R settings in the right column are for the adaptive suspension as well, confirmed with the PR codes listed by Graeme86 for me.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/04/Scirocco_R_Wheel_Alignment-1.jpg

Cheers Al

Andych
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
The figures were from centre of hub to underside of the guard so tyre pressures have no effect as mentioned above....
In the end... it was an interesting observation... I never mentioned taking it back to the dealer...
I also didnt suggest it should be perfectly level front to rear... talk about people jumping to conclusions...

It was measured to provide a before and after analysis for Eibach... and myself... and 9 mm is a reasonable difference when the springs themselves supposedly drop the ride height by 15mm front and 10 mm rear...

I guess all will be revealed when the springs have been fitted....

As for settling... they are not going to settle any further than they are now in the short term... especially in a static position...
And yes... it was on level ground... half a tank of fuel, no driver, nothing in the car etc etc...

Thanks for the Alignment info Al... that will be usefull.