PDA

View Full Version : NSW VW Nationals

OEM G60
15-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Who's going then ?? 16th of April isn't that far away ......

There might be a Corrado G60 for sale .........

golfvr6
19-03-2006, 10:21 AM
good to see more watercooled guys on the way
i have been there for the past few years but watercooleds are always the minority especially in the show and shine

re golfs - they used to have golf 1/2 + golf3/4 categories but now back to just golf - modded or standard....
and that yellow golf always wins

anyone intending to show??

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I`ll show my Ibiza VR6, but dunno what category.

Yeah I dont know whats going on with the Golf categories this year, we need to get more watercooled boys there and demand an extra catrgory next time.

That hideous yellow thing better not win this year, I reckon something is very suss there!

syncro
19-03-2006, 11:34 AM
It's about time that someone builds a better Golf and beats it!

It wins at all of the shows.

Seats in cat. 27

http://www.clubvw.org.au/2006_vw_nationals_information.htm

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I think a certain Grey Mk2 should have beaten the yellow thing last year.

I`ll probably go in categories 27, 40 and 43.

alex g
19-03-2006, 01:07 PM
the yellow peril

Golf Loon
19-03-2006, 06:10 PM
What you bringing this year al? maybe you should spray it yellow.

golfvr6
21-03-2006, 11:31 AM
for those that need some inspiration on what they need to copy (ahh.. beat)....

http://img4.picsplace.to/img4/21/yellow.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

i think that roof spoiler doubling as a moon roof is the killer mod! :lol:

EndlessMKI
21-03-2006, 11:44 AM
ROFL...........i respect the guy but his car kills me...........hahhaha.

Anonymous
21-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Are you serious :shock: Yuk! Someone needs to shoot the show judge :)

evorobin
21-03-2006, 11:48 AM
That car is the wrong colour has too many doors sports a bonnet scoop and the alloys have been murdered. Obvious victor :wink:

Yeah dub's mk2 should have taken it!

Tim
21-03-2006, 11:49 AM
is it at least a quick car?

TassieGTi
21-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Tragic :? That car is just wrong :shock: Hate the colour, hate the body kit, hate the tilting glass roof, hate the wheels and as robin said.....it's a 5 door :) We have the same problem here in Tassie. Awards at our local VW show always go to the President's customers! :D

Think you better book a spot on the Spirt of Tas Valver and show em how its done 8)

tassie_euro_mk1
21-03-2006, 12:21 PM
mmm.... overkill.
I remember seeing this yellow mk1 in an old Australian VW magazine. Published 1998 i think. its looks exactly the same as it did then.

And its still winning the shows??? thats just not cricket

WABIT
21-03-2006, 12:47 PM
OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

DUBSTARS MK2 DIDNT WIN

IM SORRY BUT THATS A BIT F*C#ED!!!!!

WABIT

syncro
21-03-2006, 01:07 PM
That car has won under many different judges from many clubs. It's just that most of the other Golfs around are not well detailed.

This car won when judged by Street Machine Association's judges and beat all of the air-cooleds! Boy were they p!ssed off!

See me at the Nationals and I'll show you what they look for. Ron hasn't had any competition since Boris' red Golf caught fire.

82cab
21-03-2006, 01:51 PM
points should be deducted for the fugly factor. I've seen that thing in real life and it turns heads for all the wrong reasons.

alex g
21-03-2006, 06:21 PM
. It's just that most of the other Golfs around are not well detailed.

. Ron hasn't had any competition since Boris' red Golf caught fire.

i STRONGLY disagree we aint in the 80's any more toto, but i guess an international mag wouldn't know either

Valver.
21-03-2006, 06:37 PM
That Mk1 makes me feel sick every time I see it :x

Luckily it's not a 3 door or a genuine GTI that's been so badly defaced :lol:

Golf Loon
21-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Its so 70s, twin dellortoes and it never changes spec. And a big beating from the ugly stick.

No way it should have beaten dubstars Mk2 and I`ve seen it happen twice.

You cant say that the yellow peril is better finished than the dubstars one. the only difference is that Ron is a club member and Al is not.

Anonymous
21-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Tassie GTi, not all the cars that win in Tassie are the presidents customers! I won four trophies last time round and I've never had any work done there. There are actually some damn good cars here that win on merit.
Yours is one of them (damn good!)

delux
21-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Sorry forgot to log in first.....

alex g
21-03-2006, 08:15 PM
three times loon but whos counting :oops:

Anonymous
21-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Sorry Delux......did not intend to offend! :oops: Yes...you did deserve your trophies :) I think as Loon suggested, being a member of the club helps! I just remember a certain yellow 5 door auto MK1 Golf that always won! They weren't even slightly interested in my Mk1 at the show in November!

I'm sorry, but there is just no way that the yellow MK1 pictured above is a better presented car than dubstar's MK2 :? The guys in Europe would laugh at us if they thought that was the best Golf we had in the country!

TassieGTi
21-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Woops :oops: That was I who posted previous message!

alex g
21-03-2006, 08:54 PM
and a sponsor of the show helps even more

Golf Loon
21-03-2006, 08:57 PM
So have you joined the club yet then Al?

I was a member last year and got a prize for the Jetta that I bought two weeks before and just drove there!

alex g
21-03-2006, 09:04 PM
no chance, cold day in hell my loony brother is when you will see me be a member of that club

to tell you the truth i dont really want to even take the car out to it.just same old nationals

Golf Loon
21-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Bring it, park it next to the yellow peril and let the people decide.

Seriously Guys, how many watercooled cars are there gonna be there this year. I`ll bring two.

aprr32
21-03-2006, 09:15 PM
We went through the same problem at the nationals 15 years ago with our two Scirocco's. We weren't club members and lost every year to no competion for 6 years straight.

syncro
21-03-2006, 10:07 PM
What a pack of wankers!
Just cause your Golfs aren't good enough you reckon there's corruption.
I'm not a member of the club and I've won plenty of trophies!
What about the trophies he won at other events!

Golfwise
21-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I think that yellow Golf is fantastic.
When it first appeared that is and that was a long time ago.
Fashions do change.
Hey you should have seen me in the seventies, afro hair ,flairs , platform shoes,groovy but we look back and laugh :lol:
Give the builder some respect, he would probably do it differently today.

As for our Tassie VW show (run by airheads) what a joke. :cry:
The solution is to break away from El Presidents little band of wackers and form our own club.
A Golf only club. :D

Golfwise
21-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't need to win any trophies I'm proud of my creations and thats good enough for me. 8)

delux
22-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Why is the Tassie show a joke? Because you didn't win? It's only what you make it. I loved TassieGTis car myself- thought it was pure horn, but all people have different opinions. All are equally valid....
Other non members won too.

imported_brackie
22-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Don't people just love to compete! Why not just enjoy your cars, enjoy looking at other people's cars and talking to them about them, and respect others' individuality and tastes. Let's make our forum a "no-putdown" zone :D

syncro
22-03-2006, 06:35 AM
How about instead of whinging about the yellow Golf, you just improve your cars to beat it? The yellow Golf is not to my taste either but it has won a lot of shows by many different clubs of which he is not a member. VW shows in Australia have improved the cars. Before we had shows all we had were magazines to look at.

How about some good Golfs enter the Nationals and beat the yellow peril?

I have not seen too many show winning Golfs for a few years now.

alex g
22-03-2006, 07:12 AM
i am losing faith in you syncro losing faith quikly

alex g
22-03-2006, 07:20 AM
this is the last i will say

i built my car from scratch for me there is not one thing more i would or could do to it to improve it, that car is the car of my dreams, it is just a little frustrating when you think to yourself that judges must be looking for more. but i cant give them anymore, its done there is nothing left nothing more to make the car better it is at is best(in my opinion). when you look at the current world scene of the watercooled vw uk germany and even the states you are obviously aware that we as vw owner dont need big signs and flashing lights over the top of our cars ,they are built more suttully now, less is more.

so yes maybe i should get over it and i have a long time ago,( the first year it won that is)

by the way look out for a full feature in the coming months on thegolf+ magazine

worldwide baby

sorry to carry on

syncro
22-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Attention to detail is the key. You need to know what they are looking for.
Taste doesn't come into it. Just don't say that the judging is fixed.

Dubstarmk2 I do not know your car but I know what they look for. Are you going to the Nationals this year? If you want I'll look at your Golf and may be able to show you where you are losing points.

If anyone wants to know more about the judging, give Steve Carter from Club Vee Dub a call.

Golfwise
22-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Why is the Tassie show a joke? Because you didn't win? It's only what you make it. I loved TassieGTis car myself- thought it was pure horn, but all people have different opinions. All are equally valid....

I can't remember entering anything .
I wouldn't bother its too much of a joke

TassieGTi
22-03-2006, 08:58 AM
What a pack of wankers!
Just cause your Golfs aren't good enough you reckon there's corruption.
I'm not a member of the club and I've won plenty of trophies!
What about the trophies he won at other events!

You are kidding :?: I'm sure the response the yellow golf has received on this forum says it all! Open it up to the people and dubstar would win hands down! Attention to detail.....what a load of rubbish! I'm interested...so tell us what detail they are they looking for syncro?

I am sure dubstar is more than proud of his wonderful creation and does not require a trophy to prove it! Personally, I wouldn't support the show! Park it out in the carpark dubstar and it will draw a bigger crowd than the yellow peril :wink:

Golfwise
22-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Thats it guys there is nothing like a good discussion.
Thats why we 're in a great country.
Freedom of expression.
But don't foget to keep it nice :roll:

Maybe show judging needs to look outside the square.
8)

Golfwise
22-03-2006, 09:08 AM
i am losing faith in you syncro losing faith quikly
Don't do that star We are too few and need to stick together through thick and thin

TassieGTi
22-03-2006, 09:10 AM

Now now delux! As you said...we all have different opinions! Personally, I hate our local show because I am just not a fan of all the old aircooled crap floating around! It does nothing for me! Aircooled nuts are a different breed! Hence, this forum is great! A watercooled or Golf Club would be a great idea in Tassie and is basically happening now anyway :)

Modifying a car for me is done for personal satisfaction and enjoyment! My car is basically a daily driver and built for use not showing! Entering and winning a show is not even a consideration! You may have won....but where was the competition?? There are not enough people in Hobart willing to spend crazy money on a project car!

syncro
22-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Personally, I wouldn't support the show! Park it out in the carpark dubstar and it will draw a bigger crowd than the yellow peril

Attitudes like that we don't need.

There are a lot more Golfs around that I would prefer to own than Ron's, but his is a very good show car and is prepared well.

I'm sick of wankers saying that he gets special treatment because he belongs to one of the clubs that runs one show. Understand!

This is not an opinion, it is a fact!

GoLfMan
22-03-2006, 10:17 AM
lets keep wanking out of this guys.... :lol: :lol: :lol: keep it clean we're all friends here 8)

golfvr6
22-03-2006, 10:32 AM
syncro
can you let us know what the judges look for?

surely subjectiveness comes into judging? you can detail all the composite parts of a car nicely, but surely if it doesn't look good all stuck together then that is reason for not being a winner.. viz...

http://img5.picsplace.to/img5/19/rice1.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

surely also judges have to see what the trend is and realise that wiith that yellow thing they are stuck in the early 80's??

GoLfMan
22-03-2006, 11:35 AM
o that car is hot!!!! :shock: :? :roll: :| :mrgreen: surely a winner?

TassieGTi
22-03-2006, 11:48 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's a classic

syncro
22-03-2006, 11:57 AM
syncro
can you let us know what the judges look for?

surely subjectiveness comes into judging? you can detail all the composite parts of a car nicely, but surely if it doesn't look good all stuck together then that is reason for not being a winner.. viz...

That's not how it works

surely also judges have to see what the trend is and realise that wiith that yellow thing they are stuck in the early 80's??

Trends are not taken into account.

This is not my opinion, this is how it works.

If I was to make the rules for judging I would do it completely different. I would be looking at design and engineering and I think that most of you would agree. But that's not how they do it and I don't make the rules.

There's no use standing around in the car park and having a whinge about it. Make up the numbers and see if you can change it!

Anonymous
22-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Tassie, yes the tassie show standard is lower, but not that low. I personnally don't care too much for trophies myself (but I don't see why I should knock them back!!). I build my cars for me. But I've also won a few trophies in Melbourne too and at non-VW shows so we can't be too crap.

I love all VW's air and water. Yes we all have our opinions (and a right to them) but slagging off the "airheads etc etc" is a bit sad in my book, simply because you don't like them. Plenty of people think golfs are a bit nancy too!! (not me by the way)

No reason in my book why air and water can't mix. It seems most aircoolers like watercooled Vws, but watercoolers seem to have a real grudge against aircooled cars (maybe a bit of an inferiority complex??)
They're all made by the same company as I recall.

I can't see the need for a water cooled club separate to the other club (which has both). Why have two smaller clubs when you could build the numbers in one and maybe even convert a few "airheads"?

Anyway maybe we should all chill out and ease up on the car bashing.....
Someone once told me "the best car does not make you the best person"

Golf Loon
22-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Syncro, I was understanding your point of view right up until you said you dont know what Alex`s car looked like. Anyone who went to the nationals without blinkers would have to have seen it. Perhaps you were dazzled by the yellow. I know the owner is your friend, but if he was earning the prizes, he would be adding a new touch every year.

I dont just dislike that yellow car, I hate it and every outdated concept it portrays.

Hideous Bodykit, terrible lights, awful interior, The non genuine colour, the spoiler, the wheels, the 8v engine with twin sidedraft webbers (wow) and the fact that it just gets wheeled back out every year for a trophy.

By giving it a prize every year the judges are crushing the Golf scene and showing that they are stuck in the past. Perhaps thats why they like their aircooled cars :oops:

Last year, there was Al`s silver beast, the only fault you could find is the stock GTI engine, besides that, I dont see how it could be more finished or polished. There was also a red Mk2 with a Turbo setup and Peter Shelleys Mk1 Caddy with a 1.8T in it. All these cars are superior to the yellow peril. Perhaps the judges didn`t recognize them as Golfs. Someone needs to aim their zimmers in the right direction and make sure they have their bifocals on.

Valver.
22-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Well said Loon :) Anyone can stick bits and pieces on a car, chrome or paint things.

And for the record - THIS IS DETAILING :D 8)

I hope to take my Mk1 to the show sometime after it's 2nd evolution (in about 2 years time when I have some money again :( ). Hopefully we can do a convoy with TassieGTI, Loon and Dubstar and teach the judges a lesson :lol:

http://k-tech-polish.de/frames-dateien/galerie-dateien/03_tonicgolf/1.jpg

http://k-tech-polish.de/frames-dateien/galerie-dateien/03_tonicgolf/3.jpg

http://k-tech-polish.de/frames-dateien/galerie-dateien/03_tonicgolf/7.jpg

http://k-tech-polish.de/frames-dateien/galerie-dateien/03_tonicgolf/23.jpg

http://k-tech-polish.de/frames-dateien/galerie-dateien/03_tonicgolf/14.jpg

OEM G60
22-03-2006, 07:26 PM
That is the nicest Mk 1 i've ever seen in my life !! Totally amazing !!

Looks like i've opened a can of worms starting this thread btw ! Yeah the Yellow Golf is hideous but each to their own i guess. I'm a fan of aircooled VW's myself so i'll enjoy looking at those aswell.
Shame not more of us on this forum (and Vortex) are not keen to go just because they see it as an 'airhead' thing. Out of the over 100 members on here theres only a handful of us going if that.

vee_dub
22-03-2006, 07:32 PM
the MK1....one word to describe it "CLEAN"
anyways someone selling a corrado in SYDNEY??

I WANT!

TassieGTi
22-03-2006, 07:39 PM
YES......very well said Loon!

Looking forward to seeing this car on the road Valver 8)

OEM G60
22-03-2006, 07:48 PM
They're pics of a German car, arn't they ???

TassieGTi
22-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Sorry...I meant Valvers 77 Resto as seen in Mk1 Golf section :oops: But I'm sure he would love to own the orange Mk1 pictured above :)

syncro
22-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't really care about Ron's Golf, it's the accusations about cheating that I object to!

As far as judging goes, I'm only the messenger here. I'm just telling you how it is. So somebody build a car like the orange one and you will easily beat it.

What part don't you people understand!

syncro
22-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Syncro, I was understanding your point of view

I was not giving a point of view

The non genuine colour,

It is a genuine colour

Last year, there was Al`s silver beast, the only fault you could find is the stock GTI engine,

Stock or modified engine doesn't really count in the pointscore.

delux
22-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Judges would have to have the most hated job at any show or in any club.
No matter what, there is always someone who will disagree with the result.

At the end of the day they don't award sheep stations. There are more important things in life. That said I'll take what ever they give me!!

I can see the issue with the style thing but it involves alot more than that. I guess it can be ugly as you like if you do it well enough!!

H2Hoo
22-03-2006, 09:05 PM
TassieGti stop whinging about missing out on a $5 trophy. Finish the so called show stopper and you will indeed win the prize. Just because you dont see judges crawling over your car doesnt mean they didnt look at it, when you werent around. If you maybe, i dont know, had some interior in your car, like the other cars in your class, then you might have scored better. It goes on a total points score, not just a score on wheels and engine bay, which for the record was very impressive. Hiding behind corrupt judges is a cop out. You will never know just how close you may have been to winning.

Golfwise
22-03-2006, 09:43 PM
TassieGti stop whinging about missing out on a $5 trophy. Finish the so called show stopper and you will indeed win the prize. Just because you dont see judges crawling over your car doesnt mean they didnt look at it, when you werent around. If you maybe, i dont know, had some interior in your car, like the other cars in your class, then you might have scored better. It goes on a total points score, not just a score on wheels and engine bay, which for the record was very impressive. Hiding behind corrupt judges is a cop out. You will never know just how close you may have been to winning.

What a lot of rubbish.It was never in the race ,be honest.I was there too.
It will never be entered in a Aircooled show again nor will any of mine.

I'm putting my hand up to start a Tassie Watercooled Club no air

Anonymous
22-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Well why dont you front it then Golfwise. Get it up and going. Stop waiting for everyone else. Do it for the betterment of the scene. I would truely love to see it become a reality. Dont be full of piss and wind, put an ad together and start then. If you do count me in i will join. But dont talk crap about the show, your car would have been in the top three, the interior let it down. Why dont you contact the judges and club your bagging, and offer them some constuctive tips instead of saying you were robbed. Did you stand by the car and hold its hand all day. How do you know it wasnt judged, Its all fiction. Be wise golfwise and start that club, set some criteria for the judges and make it happen my friend.

Golf Loon
22-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah, go the Tassie watercoolers. Hey Mr Guest, why not join us with an identity if you have an opinion?

syncro
22-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Anyway Matt, besides the Seat what are you bringing?

Golf Loon
22-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Anyway Matt, besides the Seat what are you bringing?

Project Golf is still not ready. Acursed thing.

Either My Silver 1984 Mk1 16v or a 1975 Swallowtail.

Nice one for getting the thread back on track. :wink:

syncro
22-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Well I think we've finished with all of the other crap and everyone agrees that the judging methods are ****, so let's just look to seeing some nice Golfs in the show and not in the carpark. :D

TassieGTi
23-03-2006, 09:39 AM

Welcome to the forum Eddie!

I reckon we've said enough now...we are all getting too sensitive! I'll never call females a sensitive breed again :)

I don't ever recall whinging about not winning at the show :? I was simply comparing the yellow peril with the yellow MK1 Auto from Hobart shows! I made a comment about the show and it obviously hit a nerve with delux! As you pointed out, I was not in contention as I did not have a rear seat.....It is a club car, however and not a show car :) I know the rules! It does highlight a need for different categories, as it would be a joke if Valver's car did not win a prize at a show because it has no rear seat!!!! That is the show scene!

I guess all this heated discussion highlights people's negativity towards car shows and judging criteria!

I'm over thsi now :)

alex g
23-03-2006, 02:34 PM
By giving it a prize every year the judges are crushing the Golf scene and showing that they are stuck in the past. Perhaps thats why they like their aircooled cars :oops:

such a good point it is exactly why i dont really fancy taking the car.thanks matt

yes i know is wasnt going to comment again

a little bit of that boring detail less engine :lol: :lol:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/dubstarmk2/mycar014.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/dubstarmk2/mycar017.jpg

WABIT
23-03-2006, 02:36 PM
geeeeeeeeeee not at all detailed dubstarmk2

ppfffttt...... judges.. :evil:

wabit

syncro
23-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeh, I remember that one, very nice. Nothing wrong with the engine in that!

I hope you enter it.

GoLfMan
23-03-2006, 03:59 PM
love the dubaholic touch :D

Golf Loon
23-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeh, I remember that one, very nice. Nothing wrong with the engine in that!

I hope you enter it.

So why does it always get beat by the yellow peril.
I`m a member of the club and I will be talking to the management about objectivity!

Golfwise
23-03-2006, 10:18 PM
We are going to put our cars in the carpark next show and maybe no one will go in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
24-03-2006, 09:08 AM
We continually wait for the Later model VWs to enter the show

instead of sitting in the car park n winging

syncro
24-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I`m a member of the club and I will be talking to the management about objectivity!

Give Dave Birchall a call 9534 4825 AH and see if you can go to the committee meeting before the Nationals.

WABIT
24-03-2006, 10:04 AM
i think judging should be bout style not originality, its a custom car... its should be treated that way..... am i wrong?

wabit

zjm
26-03-2006, 09:42 PM
If I take my golf it will probably be with a FOR SALE sign on it. To many tossers obviously drive them!!! , the yellow golf might not be to my taste but the fit and finish is exceptional and thats all you can truly judge a modified car on
In europe 70s and 80s retro is big!!, maybe the yellow cars time has come again zender body kits are worth big bucks now theyre so ugly that theyre cool

Golf Loon
27-03-2006, 07:51 AM
In europe 70s and 80s retro is big!!, maybe the yellow cars time has come again zender body kits are worth big bucks now theyre so ugly that theyre cool

Australia never left the 70s / 80s look. I reckon we are just 10 years behind europe in Oz, which must mean its time for some 80s / 90s cool.
Bring on the Plastic I say.