PDA

View Full Version : Failed tail shaft center bearing

njg02
26-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Exchange? Talk to the Touareg owners about the centre bearing carrier. Oops. Sorry

Umai Naa!!
26-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah, that's one thing I had hoped would be an exchange part.

Sunny43.5
26-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Am I missing something here whats the deal with the Touareg part ?????

Umai Naa!!
27-03-2012, 06:25 AM
The coversation flow went like this:

Exchange water pumps>cost of exchange parts>no exchange tailshaft for Touareg.

njg02
27-03-2012, 08:38 PM
The centre bearing WILL fail on touaregs. The fix, if you go via VW is a whole new tailshaft assembly, not a new bearing, not a new carrier, not remanufactered, not second hand, but a whole new tailshaft assembly.

Umai Naa!!
27-03-2012, 08:56 PM
That's right. You can't buy the parts individually through VW.

I think they were up to revision M of the tailshaft part number last time I ordered one.

whiteVR6
27-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I sold one recently was about $900 exchange

Sunny43.5
27-03-2012, 11:44 PM
I think where this conversation went off track was the business of VW asking for a deposit before supplying a new part especially when its a metal component . I do not know that any one in Australia would bother too much with exchange recoed parts , but I might be wrong . Its totally wrong the way you have to buy a whole new part for the sake of something simple as a bearing in Touaregs. I have the same problem in the sunroof industry a simple broken part in the factory BMW X5 sunroof will result in a bill of over $6000 to fix as typically BM don,t sell the part that breaks all they want to do is sell the whole sunroof assembly . Wrong Wrong

Umai Naa!!
28-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I can sort of see it from BMW's end, though.

Perhaps dismantling the sunroof assembly to replace the part could result in incorrect tolerances and clearances in certain components, resulting in failures elsewhere.

buzuki
28-03-2012, 06:07 PM
i replaced a shifter mechanism in a jetta just because the park microswitch was stuffed. $1000 later . . .

I agree some stuff should be replaceable without buying a whole component

Jmac
30-03-2012, 07:36 AM
You can by the centre bearing seperate online but will be a massive fail, you have to cut the shaft to replace it, next to no one here will do it for you and warrant it. ive bought a couple form the states, they send you one all ready to be bolted up, and add a core charge till you send the old one back, to be fair there isnt any point sending yours back as it costs more than the core.
If you need details on how to obtain one let me know

cheers
Jmac

Umai Naa!!
13-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Including freight, is it significantly cheaper than the genuine option, Jmac?

alex g
13-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Lots of banter on here.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/drive-shaft-bearing-failure-49135.html
Have stop gap repaired mine with the hope of getting a drive shaft mob to install and balance a new bearing.

Jmac
15-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Including freight, is it significantly cheaper than the genuine option, Jmac?
Yeah mate it is a fair saving, i have went through it and was way in front of doing it here mate

cheers
Jmac

passatwagon18t
19-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey guys just letting you know i will be rebuliding these units when i back in australia when i worked in the uk we were rebuliding these tailshafts as they were failing all the time it will be done with out cutting the tailshaft or anyother crazy things like that its not an easy job but can be done it will be stronger then factory with a stronger bearing fitted these will have a 2 year warranty and will be exchange cost of $700 for the unit..