PDA

View Full Version : Night visibility

SCIRKN
26-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey guys was just wondering what the night visibility was like as it's impossible to test drive a roc at night unless you know someone who has one.. Also, how good are the bi-xenon headlamps? Are they the cornering type like those on the Megane? They look awesome when they appear to 'look' around. And how do the LEDs compare to fog lamps, ive seen os models that have both and wonder if we're missing out?

ConR
26-03-2012, 08:08 AM
I can only comment on the cornering part. No, they are not the cornering lights, but they are self leveling. Why VW didn't put them in I'm not sure. They do corner on the GTI. Maybe someone knows the answer to that. They also don't corner on the Golf R either

AdamD
26-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I can only comment on the cornering part. No, they are not the cornering lights, but they are self leveling. Why VW didn't put them in I'm not sure. They do corner on the GTI. Maybe someone knows the answer to that. They also don't corner on the Golf R either

The bi-xenons on the Golf R do feature the dynamic cornering function. But the Scirocco is a slightly older design, and is built in another country - it's not unusual for some features to be present on one model and missing on another.

ConR
26-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Ah sorry, my bad. Thought they were the same!

Not to take this thread off topic, but I do wonder why it is they did that, i.e., not give it the cornering headlights. Or, why did they not put front parking sensors on it? And why not LED tail lights as well?

she_dub
26-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Hey guys was just wondering what the night visibility was like as it's impossible to test drive a roc at night unless you know someone who has one.. Also, how good are the bi-xenon headlamps? Are they the cornering type like those on the Megane? They look awesome when they appear to 'look' around. And how do the LEDs compare to fog lamps, ive seen os models that have both and wonder if we're missing out?

Night visibility on the Scirocco is perfectly fine.
I've had xenons on my last 3 cars, and once you get used to the arc of light ending abruptly, instead of the fade out with regular headlights, it's fine. Cornering would've been nice, but I don't think it's something that is necessary on the Scirocco, but then I don't drive in an area where I am likely to run into wildlife, other than drunk people coming home from the football..
I do miss fog lights though.. I had them on my S3, as well as the DRL's. I can't see the DRL's alone, being a direct replacement.
I suppose it depends on where you're driving.

AdamD
26-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Not to take this thread off topic, but I do wonder why it is they did that, i.e., not give it the cornering headlights. Or, why did they not put front parking sensors on it? And why not LED tail lights as well?

New technology only filters down to certain models over time, as model release schedules dictate, and as it makes economic sense to do so. The Scirocco R has been on sale since 2009 in other markets, remember - well before the Golf R, which was the first to get LED tails. Golf Central Electrics modules only started to support LED tails from around September 2009 builds - after the 'Roc R was released in Europe.

ConR
26-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah that totally makes sense. Keep forgetting the Roc came out before! Just would have thought that the subsequent iterations (i.e. MY11, MY12) would have incorporated subtle changes like that, but all good. No biggie!

Thanks for the info. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Keep On Rocc'in
26-03-2012, 05:26 PM
If by cornering headlights you mean lights next to the bi-xenons (on the outside of them as you look at the front) that aim to each side of the car then the Scirocco DOES have them. If cornering headlights means the actual bi-xenon turns then no. At night time as soon as you turn the wheel either way (below 40kmh) the light on that side turns on. They can be programmed on or off through the screen options between the speedo and tacho.
Bi-xenons are awesome and so much better than standard lights and they are self levelling.

Viper Green Scirocco with DSG

Mac135
26-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Not just that it is older but it also not built in the same locationas he Golf R. It is also well specced in other regards and clearly VW were keen to keep it below 50k before on roads. While we might want everything are we prepared to pay for it? Turning lights as opposed to say ACC or Talle 19's perhaps?

ozr
27-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Not having the lights that follow my s/wheel movement doesnt worry me...
Another gadget to go wrong and make life miserable.
The xenons throw heaps of light anyway

Klink1313
27-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I allegedlly have the turning feature on my R but I can't see much difference.

If I close one eye and stick out my tongue I think I can talk myself into seeing a slight movement in the direction of travel when cornering but thats it. If i close both eyes i find that the headlights seem to go out but that must be a feature of the auto headlights.:P

Perhaps my cornering feature doesn't work but i dont care enough to take it to the delaer to check.

team_v
27-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I allegedlly have the turning feature on my R but I can't see much difference.

If I close one eye and stick out my tongue I think I can talk myself into seeing a slight movement in the direction of travel when cornering but thats it. If i close both eyes i find that the headlights seem to go out but that must be a feature of the auto headlights.:P

Perhaps my cornering feature doesn't work but i dont care enough to take it to the delaer to check.

Doesn't it only work under 20 or 30km/h?

XTC838
27-03-2012, 10:26 AM
From memory, I think it works above 20km/h. You have to turn the feature on in MFD, under Assistant or something along that line.

It is either called AFS (US English) or Bend Lighting (British English).

Doesn't it only work under 20 or 30km/h?

quozl
27-03-2012, 11:18 AM
If you look closely at your headlights you will see on the side of one of the round light projectors a reflector and a bulb pointing out towards the front corners of your car. ( I think in the one housing the turn indicator, I would check but Marti has her car )

These are the turn assist lights (different to the directional BiXenon they get in some countries) they operate below 40KMH and work very well at lighting up the corners as you turn at night.

I can't remember if we turned them on in the convenience settings or not but they are there and do work very well. The are definitely mentioned in the manual but I'm probably the only one who reads that cover to cover.

Cheers Al

Bain
27-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Not having the lights that follow my s/wheel movement doesnt worry me...
Another gadget to go wrong and make life miserable.
The xenons throw heaps of light anyway

They have fixed cornering lights at lower speeds which is fine.

ozr
28-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I thought they were in under the mirror. I sat in my driveway parked and turned the wheel from side to side just slightly and it looked like the light was from under the mirror.
I have the folding miorrors if that helps
If you look closely at your headlights you will see on the side of one of the round light projectors a reflector and a bulb pointing out towards the front corners of your car. ( I think in the one housing the turn indicator, I would check but Marti has her car )

These are the turn assist lights (different to the directional BiXenon they get in some countries) they operate below 40KMH and work very well at lighting up the corners as you turn at night.

I can't remember if we turned them on in the convenience settings or not but they are there and do work very well. The are definitely mentioned in the manual but I'm probably the only one who reads that cover to cover.

Cheers Al

quozl
28-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I thought they were in under the mirror. I sat in my driveway parked and turned the wheel from side to side just slightly and it looked like the light was from under the mirror.
I have the folding miorrors if that helps

No those are the coming home lights, the image below shows the turn assist lights it is the reflector and bulb pointing out to the front corner of the car from the side of the indicator light in the headlight cluster itself.

http://www.users.on.net/~quozl/DSCF1256.JPG

ozr
29-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Ahha
Clearly shown and i did take anothe look last night and it is definetely from the front as the pic clearly shows.
No those are the coming home lights, the image below shows the turn assist lights it is the reflector and bulb pointing out to the front corner of the car from the side of the indicator light in the headlight cluster itself.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/