PDA

View Full Version : Discovering Dodgyness

Cache
18-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

So yesterday my BOV/DV arrived (Thanks DUB20V) and today I installed it into my car. Upon taking my engine cover off I was instantly shocked by the fact that the car had infact has a terrible spiking little boost controller on it like the one below:

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/images/BC-DSBC.jpg

As some of you might know, I have been having problems some mornings when I start my car, the car has been going into limp mode for an unknown reason...and here is the answer. Due to really cold weather and thicker air + the boost controller, I believe the car has been overboosting and throwing codes at the computer making the car go into limp mode. Whats worse is the fact the controller wasnt even clamped on properly and was nearly falling off and seemed to have a manually screw-driver punched hole in it....DODGY. After removing it and reattatching the stock boost controller the car has been boosting up smoother (less powerfully ofcourse) and I havnt had the limp mode problem occur at all today, so it seems to be fixed.

Whats more is the fact the previous owner specifically told me no mods had taken place....perhaps he wasnt even aware.

Thanks guys,

- Jake.

fuzion
18-07-2007, 06:40 PM
jake!

consider yourself lucky you found it! better less power and car running 100% :P

note: with the stealth fx, tighten the top tensioner all the way and then loosen it 3-5 turns from when its tight. otherwise you will feel boost loss. or your not chipped? if your not chipped tighten then losen up 5-8 turns (12 turns is total closed/open).

:rolleyes:

Cache
18-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey mate, yeah im not chipped. I have been playing with it and i havnt found the perfect setting yet...I think it just takes time :). I'm really really glad I found the problem now and not later...could of done some serious damage. I will try the setting you mentioned tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

gpk_gti
18-07-2007, 06:59 PM
funny what you can find under a engine cover! pays to look around some times!! haha... :D

Cache
18-07-2007, 07:05 PM
True that George. Now to buy an electronic boost controller :D.

Thanks guys!

ope126
19-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,

So yesterday my BOV/DV arrived (Thanks DUB20V) and today I installed it into my car. Upon taking my engine cover off I was instantly shocked by the fact that the car had infact has a terrible spiking little boost controller on it like the one below:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/07/BCDSBC-1.jpg

As some of you might know, I have been having problems some mornings when I start my car, the car has been going into limp mode for an unknown reason...and here is the answer. Due to really cold weather and thicker air + the boost controller, I believe the car has been overboosting and throwing codes at the computer making the car go into limp mode. Whats worse is the fact the controller wasnt even clamped on properly and was nearly falling off and seemed to have a manually screw-driver punched hole in it....DODGY. After removing it and reattatching the stock boost controller the car has been boosting up smoother (less powerfully ofcourse) and I havnt had the limp mode problem occur at all today, so it seems to be fixed.

Whats more is the fact the previous owner specifically told me no mods had taken place....perhaps he wasnt even aware.

Thanks guys,

- Jake.

Mate, this car was standard in the eyes of my mate and me. I don't think he ever popped the bonnet! :???: The car wasn't very quick either, so I assume it was screwed all the way down to still regulate factory boost levels.

So if there was "dodgyness" as you put it, it wasn't from him! :rolleyes:

As for the manual boost controler, don't you have BIG plans for your car?
Just get rid of it!
I have a manual boost cotroller in mine and it works beautifully! No fault codes, limp mode etc.
Maybe there are some underlining problems that need to be addressed before you start all your mods.

Although an electronic boost controller / chip / autronic etc. are better, I have no complaints with the power from my manual boost control on 9 psi.

Glenn