PDA

View Full Version : Problems With your new Scirocco...

why_999
15-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Well someone has to start thread about the negatives :(

Everyone with your problems please post here... Lets keep it together.

Well my problems started 2 weeks after delivery.

First thing
- Rear suspension was creaking, the handbreak wasn't engaging properly... They fixed it

Second visit
- Wipers were initailly very noisy, then started to to hit the body of the car.. Fixed

Third Visit
-Wipers again, this time not hitting the body, but smearing the water and very noisy after 10-15 min of having them on. They start off very quite then they sound like a 20yr old car. Anyone that lives in Sydeny would remember last weeks rain fall, I could bearly see... Fixed????????... haven't had a chance to test them

Fourth visit
- Engine making a weird nosie/rattle when it hits 2K RPM, just before the turbo whistle.. and still at the dealership and they have no idea whats going on, they can hear the rattle but no clue.

Now driving a Jetta 1.8TSI... I miss my Roc

Please everyone please share your problems and the fix for it.

ConR
15-03-2012, 05:49 PM
I hate reading these threads. Makes me start thinking about what problems I might have and I don't want to think about that!

mr gee
15-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I had the wiper issues as well, tried cleaning, alignment etc etc but in the end changed them out to Bosch aerotwins fixed

she_dub
15-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I had the wiper issues as well, tried cleaning, alignment etc etc but in the end changed them out to Bosch aerotwins fixed

I had that wiper problem too... Sorted itself out after a few days of rainy weather though.

Mac135
15-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Reading the UK forums it seems the wiper problem is a common one. The solution appears to be the fitting of Bosch aerotwins. Annoying but simple.

octagon
15-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I had the wiper issue too but a quick adjustment at the dealer and it's fixed.

When the car is engine is cold I have a slight wining noise coming through one of the speakers, it's really strange and I'll have it looked at when the first service is due but once the engine is war it's gone.

I have an issue with the dsg box. It changes up to 6th so quick that in traffic around 60kph it drones too much and it doesn't sound right, I'll get that looked at too when I can get back to the dealer

Andych
16-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Well someone has to start thread about the negatives :(

Fourth visit
- Engine making a weird nosie/rattle when it hits 2K RPM, just before the turbo whistle.. and still at the dealership and they have no idea whats going on, they can hear the rattle but no clue.

Now driving a Jetta 1.8TSI... I miss my Roc

Please everyone please share your problems and the fix for it.

This sounds ominously like the rattle the Golf R boys had... here you go... http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/mk6-gti-rattle-upon-acceleration-resolved-via-tpi-2021062-7-a-47765-82.html#post711540

Octagon - That is just the DSG acting normally.. get a tune... well at least the Viezu Tune anyway... it fixes it and makes a huge difference to how the car goes too... :)

AdamD
16-03-2012, 08:16 AM
This sounds ominously like the rattle the Golf R boys had... here you go... http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/mk6-gti-rattle-upon-acceleration-resolved-via-tpi-2021062-7-a-47765-82.html#post711540

Yeah, won't be the same. That problem affects the EA888 with K03 only (not the EA113 and K04 as fitted to the 'Roc).

Andych
16-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah, won't be the same. That problem affects the EA888 with K03 only (not the EA113 and K04 as fitted to the 'Roc).

Or it could just be a Friday car! :(

ozr
16-03-2012, 02:06 PM
My main problem is the car keeps taking the long way home.
I just wanna keep driving it

Mac135
16-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I have an issue with the dsg box. It changes up to 6th so quick that in traffic around 60kph it drones too much and it doesn't sound right, I'll get that looked at too when I can get back to the dealer

That is definitely the way the DSG behaves in auto (D).

My question is:

Why are you driving in D in the first place? Paddles 'n stick are much, much more fun.

why_999
16-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Fourth visit

Good news is that its not from the engine...

It was the wiper arm. So now a new arm is getting sent to the dealer to be replaced..

Whats up with these wipers VW are using...??

RW1
16-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Whats up with these wipers VW are using...??
The arm problem isn' t usual but has happened before in Europe. The blade issue is, and its due to plastic wiper carrier collapsing and the rubber being softer. This is to lower the noise level while sweeping the screen. So the rubber blade distorts too much causing smear.

And if its not that, then there is the little minute blobs of windscreen glue that get massaged out into broad thin glue patches that cause smear patch areas from the blades continually passing over the glue over a period of use (chemical removal for this - adhesive is Polyurethane based.).

Blades, I personally had fitted Jetta blades & carriers as the alternative on the front and have had no problem since. Parts are: wiper blades & carriers VW Part No. 5K2 955 426 - driver's side, 5K2 955 425 - passenger side. Done as a warranty claim, VW know this solution. A bit noisey for the first hour of operation as the rubber blade beds in, but after that, no problems at all. First set of Jetta lasted 17 months, just fitted my second set on Jan 1st 2012. About normal length of time for my VW cars over the years as the daily driver always sits outside in the sun. (Rear lasted 27 months - rear has no problems.)

Also treat the windscreen with Rain-X fairly regularly. That helps a lot.

preeman
17-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I have problem with the driver side window not going down some times if I push both window buttons down at the same time. Some times it works, if it doesn't work I just have to push it down again.

Some times my mirrors don't fold back out for 30 seconds or so. No idea why.

RW1
17-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I have problem with the driver side window not going down some times if I push both window buttons down at the same time. Some times it works, if it doesn't work I just have to push it down again.

Some times my mirrors don't fold back out for 30 seconds or so. No idea why.

How are you using the car? There can be problems when the battery voltage level gets lower through infrequent use. Door controller problem firmware has been sorted at the factory for a long time, so it can't be that. (Door controllers have control of the windows & folding mirrors.)

There is a bulletin on the folding delay specifically that you could discuss with the dealers.

TPI 2025610/02 - Service info - electrics - door mirrors fold sporadically with delay - 23May2011.

Problem: The door mirrors sporadically fold with a delay upto 15 seconds

Technical Background: Incorrect Door Controllers fitted.

Measure (rectification): None.

Customer Information:
How does it occur?: During dimming of lights in the mirrors, the folding door mirrors can be delayed for upto 15 seconds.
How can the complaint be prevented?: By waiting till the dimming is completed. This normally happens about 2 seconds after switching on the ignition.

preeman
20-03-2012, 07:30 AM
How are you using the car? There can be problems when the battery voltage level gets lower through infrequent use. Door controller problem firmware has been sorted at the factory for a long time, so it can't be that. (Door controllers have control of the windows & folding mirrors.)

There is a bulletin on the folding delay specifically that you could discuss with the dealers.

TPI 2025610/02 - Service info - electrics - door mirrors fold sporadically with delay - 23May2011.

Problem: The door mirrors sporadically fold with a delay upto 15 seconds

Technical Background: Incorrect Door Controllers fitted.

Measure (rectification): None.

Customer Information:
How does it occur?: During dimming of lights in the mirrors, the folding door mirrors can be delayed for upto 15 seconds.
How can the complaint be prevented?: By waiting till the dimming is completed. This normally happens about 2 seconds after switching on the ignition.

The car is my daily drive for work, I am getting about 80KM per day. The windows can happen at any time, I might have been driving for 20 minutes when I decide to put the windows down. I will take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Thanks for the info on the folding delay.

tee_off
20-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I was dreading this thread.

Does this mean I will have to buy (and learn to drive) a manual to be safe?

Mac135
21-03-2012, 10:58 AM
To be safe in what way?

why_999
21-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I was dreading this thread.

Does this mean I will have to buy (and learn to drive) a manual to be safe?

well i don't see why. No one has had an issue with their DSG gearbox... yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ConR
21-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah I agree. The DSG has gone through a number of iterations since it's original release. No one would call it perfect, but it's a pretty damn good, dependable gearbox.

Mac135
21-03-2012, 03:45 PM
My problem is the delay in getting the thing.

Originally it was scheduled for a mid June arrival then June 30th. That was OK. Today I got advice that the car would now be delayed until the end of August - so a mid September delivery.

What do do? See if I can find a car that might not precisely fit my spec or wait? I'm not an impatient person so waiting is OK as long as I'm sure I'm not going to get mucked around. Driving the Bimmer is hardly a chore so that is OK too.

I just can't seem to find any full house DSG cars that are not in Viper. If it is choice or waiting or Viper then its waiting I'm afraid.

ConR
21-03-2012, 04:25 PM
My problem is the delay in getting the thing.

Originally it was scheduled for a mid June arrival then June 30th. That was OK. Today I got advice that the car would now be delayed until the end of August - so a mid September delivery.

What do do? See if I can find a car that might not precisely fit my spec or wait? I'm not an impatient person so waiting is OK as long as I'm sure I'm not going to get mucked around. Driving the Bimmer is hardly a chore so that is OK too.

I just can't seem to find any full house DSG cars that are not in Viper. If it is choice or waiting or Viper then its waiting I'm afraid.

There was one being advertised by Serge:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f118/brand-new-scirocco-r-white-dsg-available-69544.html

Does that fit what you want?

Mac135
21-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes I saw that a couple of days ago before the delay was known.

I really wanted a grey (or blue) and the Dyn option as well as RNS510 and roof.

White is a bit too popular. That said I still haven't seen a Roc of any colour or description on the road here after three months of sales so maybe that point is moot.

ConR
21-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Looks nice in grey for sure. Just saw one about an hour ago from my office window. Needs black rims though. I don't think it looks as good with the silvers.

Stos
21-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Has anybody not had any problems? Last thing I want to be doing is running back and forth to the stealership!

Silver dub
21-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Has anybody not had any problems? Last thing I want to be doing is running back and forth to the stealership!

Havn't had a single problem with ours.....touch wood!

tee_off
21-03-2012, 06:06 PM
To be safe in what way?

well i don't see why. No one has had an issue with their DSG gearbox... yet.

Yeah I agree. The DSG has gone through a number of iterations since it's original release. No one would call it perfect, but it's a pretty damn good, dependable gearbox.

Oops, wasn't clear in my original post. I've heard people on this forum having the Golf DSG fail on them after the warranty expires, and the cost of one is nasty

Mac135
21-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes you hear occasional reports re DSG failures but i think given the volumes produced they are reliable. DSG has ben around now since 2005 and these forums are not full of sad tales of DSG failures. Go ahead and buy a DSG equipped car with confidence.

Keep On Rocc'in
21-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Had mine 3 weeks now and, touch wood, not a single problem or hiccup as yet. My only real problem is not being able to take it out into the Brindabellas for a bit of a fang because all the roads are closed.

Viper Green, DSG, big Smile

eccentric
02-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I seem to notice that the front driver side fender is not even with the other side & is not flushed with the bonnet either. Heard Bain had this issue and took it back to the dealer to have it fixed? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, seems like it could possibly apply to the whole initial batch.

she_dub
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I seem to notice that the front driver side fender is not even with the other side & is not flushed with the bonnet either. Heard Bain had this issue and took it back to the dealer to have it fixed? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, seems like it could possibly apply to the whole initial batch.

It's a "design fault / feature" of all Scirocco's.. especially considering they've been producing them since 2009.

OEM G60
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
It's a "design fault / feature" of all Scirocco's.. especially considering they've been producing them since 2009.

Don't suppose you've got a photo of what that looks like do you?

Interested to see how out of alignment it is.

Njay
02-04-2012, 01:35 PM
one of my mates scirocco oil cap and engine cover kept popping off, he kept dropping it of at vw to get it repaired but it. Kept happening so he ended up selling the car back to vw after 2 weeks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

she_dub
02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Don't suppose you've got a photo of what that looks like do you?

Interested to see how out of alignment it is.

Stolen from another thread:

No no, I did mean 5 - 10mm. I checked a couple of the Scirocco's that were due for delivery at the dealership (and the 2 test vehicles as well) and they all had varying degrees of overlap on one side (drivers side). Passenger side was beautiful and flush.

See pic below. The largest overlap was at the point where the corner of the light meets the fender (pointy bit)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Mine isn't flush either, but I don't have a pic of it on hand.

OEM G60
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that, bit more than i was expecting actually. Am i right in saying the front wings/guards are wider on the R, meaning it's just the R's that have that problem?

preeman
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Looking in the rear view mirrors the driver side edge line (the edgy bit of the curve above the door handle from the front to above the rear tail light) does not meet the rear panel at the same level. Seems like my door sits a few mm lower? Looking at the passenger side they line up.

ozr
03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Reading/trawling thru several sites and there definetely appears to be alignment issues with bodywork on several of the VW'
I thank the lord that I have been blessed with what I consider to be next to perfect bodylines.
I am anal about such things as I have converted from BMW and they are spot on and should be when purchasing a new car.
VW need to pick up their QC or it will cost them as there are Asian bred cars at the moment snipping at their heels with finish and QC not to mention "tuff" looks

Mac135
03-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Get the point re QC as i'm coming from a BMW too. But what do you mean by "tuff" looks?

Andych
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Mine is being checked as we speak... The Service Dept feigned ignorance of the issue ( or they really are clueless) and didn't comment other than a hmmm as he checked both sides.

I am not expecting anything to be resolved today, it was more to have it noted on the service record so if I need to I can take it further with VW Australia.

ozr
04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Tuff - meaning that new squat look.
The new Hyundai Veloster, Civic R, KIA all look pretty tuff to me
Get the point re QC as i'm coming from a BMW too. But what do you mean by "tuff" looks?

she_dub
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM

It's not hard to create a car with a wide low body... anyone can do that... it's the substance behind it that matters more.

Mac135
04-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Ok understand. Have to say i'm not a fan of the Asian car companies design themes at the moment. Can't actually think of one design that appeals except a MX5 which is derivative Lotus in any case. It is as she-dub sats a car that has substance where as current Bimmers largely have substance but not much style.

Andych
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Well the dealer took 4 hours to adjust my bonnet today and I am not overly sure I like the end result.
Part of the problem is the guards don't seem to follow the line of the bonnet so there is minimal overhand at the windscreen but quote a bit at the front.
Mine is now even side to side and I am not sure there is much more that can be done.
I will post up pictures when I can take some good ones with my real camera.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?erthh5

ZIO
06-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Hmm Andy that's bad news don't think it's worth the trouble to get looked at.

Ps been in syd this week and have seen at least 3 Rocco's - black no roof, green no roof, white no roof all on the city west link or inner west.

Andych
06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Hmm Andy that's bad news don't think it's worth the trouble to get looked at.

Ps been in syd this week and have seen at least 3 Rocco's - black no roof, green no roof, white no roof all on the city west link or inner west.
Well you have seen more on the road than I have...lol.

With the bonnet alignment... I need to get it out into some good light and take some pics. I have looked at it a number of times now and it is certainly even side to side. I was initially pretty p#$sed off with the dealer over the way it is now... it was more that I waited for the car after being told initially it would only be an hour for the complimentary service and they would just check the bonnet... in the end I waited there for 4 hours... this was after driving a crappy 10 year old Astra back from Brisbane overnight... so no sleep at all.

Just possibly I was a little over sensitive about them taking so long when they knew I was sitting in their Cafe waiting... :rolleyes:

ConR
14-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Anyone notice a creek from the back rear? Not sure of its strut mount that just needs breaking in, or something on the inside. I know my GTI had issues with the seat clamps that caused it to creak.

Happens pretty much anytime. Going forward or turning. Hence why I'm inclined to not think it's the struts.

Mac135
14-04-2012, 08:00 PM
The UK forums have reported a history of creaks from the rear that can be traced back to the bump stops on the tail gate. Does that sound a possibility? If so, start here. Scirocco Central • View topic - Tailgate rattle/clunk (http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1884&p=18291&hilit=Creak+from+rear#p18291)

Also this thread from Sciroccocentral though the outcome is less clear Scirocco Central • View topic - Slight creak from back end (http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2701&p=23809&hilit=Creak+from+rear#p23809)

ConR
14-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah not sure that's it. Ah well will run it in a bit more see if it stops

preeman
14-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a creak from the back end as well, I am not sure where it is coming from.

Andych
14-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Old Age perhaps?? :)

ozr
15-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Old Age perhaps?? :)
If it was age related there would be a leak from the back end as well...LOL

ConR
15-04-2012, 08:31 AM
It's not old age related...yet :)

It is pretty annoying though. But nothing a little engine note won't drown out. Don't think about it Con. Don't think about it Con.

why_999
15-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I have a creak from the back end as well, I am not sure where it is coming from.

I had a similar issue, when straight to the dealer. Turned out to be dried suspension (?) mounting or some kind of rear mount. Anyway some lubrication and it's gone.

ConR
15-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Will bring it in this week. Its actually quite creaky. Sounds like old wooden floors. Very old floors.

ZIO
15-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Yah I noticed a creak as well today have about 4500ks on the clock

Andych
15-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Anyway some lubrication and it's gone.

There are so many lines to go with that....but I wont go there... :facepalm:

why_999
15-04-2012, 11:07 PM
There are so many lines to go with that....but I wont go there... :facepalm:

i know... but decided to leave it anyway...lol

ConR
16-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Well, any possibility of it being a similar issue to the Golfs (door seals causing the creak) was axed today as I just washed the door jambs and pfleged the door seals. Still creaking like crazy.

To the dealer tomorrow.

MGV
16-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Con, not sure if it's the same issue, but my Tiggy had a couple of really annoying creaks, i tried the Gummi Pflege after a couple of good cleans with a damp cloth, then another pflege application, to no avail. Ended up being completely resolved with a tube of VWG000150 'lubricating paste' (as part of dealer service, $51.64). That's some expensive lube! Just a bit on the door & hatch hinges & latches & NO more creaks!
Good luck!

ConR
17-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info mate. Will mention it to the dealer. I just hope this isn't one of those run around issues, where the dealer says they've fixed it but haven't :)

I took at look at the area where the spare tyre should be. There's a fastener on top to keep the piece of foam down. Was loose a bit. Tightened it but didn't do anything. I've also tried driving with the rear seats down and still didn't stop it. So pretty much all angles covered. Not much else to try.

---------- Post added 17-04-2012 at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was 16-04-2012 at 07:16 PM ----------

Update. Went to dealer. Drove with technician who admitted he heard it right away. Unfortunately, he didn't know what it was. Played around with the boot hatch for a bit but nothing (he didn't do anything I didn't try myself).

So, booked in for next Tuesday. Was originally booked in for May 4th, to which I said "Umm, I just picked up the car on Saturday and it has 200km's on it". Moved it up to the 24th =)

Tried to far:
-Pflege and Krytox on all seals
-Duragloss wash of all door and hatch jambs
-Back seats folded down (so can't be the clamp)
-Removed spare tyre foam thingy
-Moving car up and down aggressively makes no sound inside or out
-Drove with boot hatch completely open and it still does it

....scratches head in confusion.......didn't see a smiley for that :)....until then, music full level!!!

quozl
17-04-2012, 11:54 AM
We had a similar rattle from the back in a previous VW, it turned out to be a vent tube in the refuelling cap area wasn't clipped in place properly, maybe get them to check that. Took us ages to find it and it wasn't a dealer tech who found it in the end but our trusty local VW shop. Once it was clipped in no more rattle.

ConR
17-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah this isn't a rattle. It's a creak :)

quozl
17-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah this isn't a rattle. It's a creak :)

A sorry when you mentioned the seats and similar I assumed a rattle.

Cheers Al

mr gee
17-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I feel damn lucky then that all mine has is a slightly out of alignment steering wheel

ConR
17-04-2012, 06:06 PM
It's nothing major on mine. At least I don't think it is. Just one of those annoying, inconvenient things that really just tick you off :)

ConR
24-04-2012, 06:02 PM
All fixed up! A panel on the back of the car wasn't aligned properly and was rubbing up against a metal clip that held it in place. Quiet as a mouse now!

Mac135
24-04-2012, 07:02 PM
That was easy, just annoying you needed to go back to the dealer.

I guess we can assume your R is now perfect!

ConR
24-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Sure is!

she_dub
24-04-2012, 09:25 PM
All fixed up! A panel on the back of the car wasn't aligned properly and was rubbing up against a metal clip that held it in place. Quiet as a mouse now!

Good to hear! Now you can do all those mods and make it noisy again :P

ConR
24-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks..ummmmmm.....Bec!

she_dub
27-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks..ummmmmm.....Bec!

Uhmmmmm..... Con... When do the go fast and sound loud bits go on?

ConR
27-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Ummmmm.......Bec......they go on next Thursday!

she_dub
28-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Uhmmmm........ Con....... that's great! Expecting pics of the Akra ;)

Stos
16-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Picked up the Rocco today and by evening have already found three problems:
1) condensation/fogging in both left and right headlamps tonight(bottom parts of the headlamps).
2) Phone button on the RNS510 is popping out on the right side of the button.
3) the front passenger side panel does not align with the bonnet(overlapping issue)

Hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

ozr
17-05-2012, 09:36 AM
That's bad enough

RW1
19-05-2012, 03:57 AM

Found the official bodywork figures for the bonnet gap.....

Bonnet overhang outwards either side at mid point is 5mm +/- 1mm, skintop surface to skin top surface. Lip edge to top of wing 5.5mm +/- 1mm gap.

sc77
20-05-2012, 09:56 PM
On the topic of bodywork, has anyone noticed imperfections in the door panels? I seem to have minor creases or flat spots ( a bit like when a panel is popped in and out again) that are especially noticeable in around the same spot in each door. They're similar in both doors but not identical and are roughly in line with interior handle. Need to stand well back from the car and get it in the right light/angles to notice. Went back to the dealer the other day and their demo also has them - similar to mine but not identical. It's not carpark damage.

Anyone else noticed this? Given mine and demo have similar thing wondering if it's just how they are - maybe due to the size/design of the doors ....? It does seem to be getting worse over time/with general door use, which is a bit weird. Maybe I'm just too pedantic but it is annoying me.

Lucas_R
21-05-2012, 02:35 PM
^ that would most likely be where spot welds are on the inside of the doors to secure side intrusion beams / window motors / central locking brackets etc. If you were to take the door trim off, you would see these minute dents that you can see from the outside are in the same area as where parts are welded/secured from the inside. Quite common and very hard to see unless you are on the right angle with the right light. More noticeable on larger panels (like a Scirocco's doors) than on smaller panels.

Mac135
25-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Anybody in Melbourne today would appreciate this. My wipers are really noisy. I know this has been a problem long term for VW and that there is a fix using a different blade but I had to use the wipers a lot today and the noise is really tiring.

SCIRKN
26-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah it was pissing down all day! How bad is the noise? Is it happening with everyone? What'd the dealer say?

TexR
26-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Noisy wipers....yep! We picked our spankin' new boy up on Thur & were lucky enough to do a Sydney - Lake Macq run to come home. It was pouring the whole way so within 5 minutes I noticed how 'cheap' the wipers seemed. Noisy, outer edge of the drivers blade vibrated on the up-wipe, & occasionally it hit the windscreen pillar! We blamed some film on the windscreen, being a brand new car. Looks like we'll have change the blades & maybe get the mech to look at adjusting them. Ah well, what a great day we had cruisin' around today1 Just did a night run mmmmm!

Mac135
26-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I agree the problem in part at least is film on the windscreen. I rewashed everything today and it is much improved, though still some streaking.

That said this is a known problem at least in the UK. Seems owners there are replacing the OEM blades with either Champion or Valeo replacements.

Don't think i'll bother going back to th dealer but just go and get some high quality after market blades.

mr gee
27-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I had terrible juddering with the wipers when I got mine. So much so that they occasionally hit the A pillar. Tried cleaning the glass, blade and swopping blades inside out without avail. Finally replaced then with Bosch blades. They are same as Golf's and all good now

Mac135
27-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes Bosch blades were the other option to use as a fix. I think I will get the bosch blades fitted though the issue now seems to be fixed.

Valver.
28-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I've also experienced the issue with the wipers: Bosch Aerotwin Multi-Clip is the solution.

The main problem I'm having with my R is a creak from the right-hand rear of the car whenever there's flex through the chassis (like when driving out of a driveway on an angle etc). At first I thought it was the tailgate, but having tried driving with it open, I know it's not the issue.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm loathed to go to the dealer, after my last experience sitting having a coffee down the street while a first-year apprentice roared past bouncing the cold engine off the rev limiter... (Said clown was since fired, but the bad taste in my mouth remains!).

Lucas_R
28-05-2012, 12:45 PM
^^ the EXACT reason why i loath leaving my car with anyone - especially a dealership. I can just imagine your rage when you went back to the dealer to tell them what you had witnessed.

Im never relaxed when someone has my car.

Mac135
28-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, I have the creak too in the same circumstances as you describe.

I think ConR had this too and managed to get it fixed. Check out his earlier posts on this thread I'm sure there is a solution there.

Valver.
28-05-2012, 03:01 PM
^^ the EXACT reason why i loath leaving my car with anyone - especially a dealership. I can just imagine your rage when you went back to the dealer to tell them what you had witnessed.

Im never relaxed when someone has my car.

This was with my Mk5 R32 and I've never left a car with a dealer since (not that I ever used dealers for anything other than significant warranty issues). They're all the same... I've worked in the automotive industry for a long time and witnessed some horrendous treatment of customers' cars, including exotics.

You can almost guarantee that taking your car for a dealer service will result in mistreatment of some degree: five apprentices to one qualified mechanic (who's usually too busy to monitor them) is the common ratio. Yes, this is a stereotype, but most apprentices are low-middle SES and have little respect for others' property. Unfortunate, but true in most cases.

Independents are cheaper, friendlier, have more real-world industry experience, and generally have a direct financial interest in your business, so will treat you - and your car - with more respect.

Sorry for OT, though :)

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Yes, I have the creak too in the same circumstances as you describe.

I think ConR had this too and managed to get it fixed. Check out his earlier posts on this thread I'm sure there is a solution there.

Thanks mate - I'll have a better read. At this stage, though, I think it might actually be the right tail lamp chafing the bodywork. For the sake of a few minutes' work, I'm going to pull the light out this weekend and see if the sound goes away. I did have this issue with my Audi, where one of the locating bungs for the light was incorrectly fitted, so I'm hoping it's the same problem in this case...

ozr
28-05-2012, 04:07 PM
YEP I did an apprenticeship with Ford 33 years ago and every car I test drove I drove it like I stole it.

Young people...thats all

quozl
28-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Re the Bosch blades, for anyone still looking for these for their Rocco I just ordered Marti a pair of the 980s models for her car from Ebay $47.99 plus shipping from AU supplier.

LINK (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200721263171&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123)

Considering they were $40+ a blade at AutoBarn I thought this was a pretty good deal for the pair.

HTH

Cheers Al

Mac135
28-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks quozi...definitely getting the bosch blades

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Here is ConR's post re creaking R

preeman
29-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi All,
Been away for a while now. Had my first service done. They re-aligned my driver door so that the lines all line up with the body work. They did mention that if I expect to get any more alignments done on the panels it is not covered under warranty. (Is that right?)

Additionally, my problem with both windows not operating 100% of time was due to a faulty switch and that is going to be replaced. Got a call yesterday that the part is in.

Overall, all good now. Still creaking when I go up the driveway on an angle.

ConR
29-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Overall, all good now. Still creaking when I go up the driveway on an angle.

For me, it was a panel in the back. Plastic clips held it in place, and it was rubbing up against the metal body panels on the back.

Mine was a one off though. It was a production mishap. Not sure how often it happens to others. I'd recommend some DIYs before taking it to the dealer. My experience says try to pinpoint it:

-dampers in the boot hatch cause it to creak. They can be adjusted and pushed out/in with an allen key.
-jambs between doors/boot hatch. from the shipping/delivery, a wax is applied to protect the car. Not really ever completely removed. Try washing the door jambs with soap and water.
-Krytox/Gummi PFledge the seals all around.
-Rear seat clamps
-Drive with boot open.
-Worst case, it's the rear bushes, but I doubt it. You'd have other issues too.

Got to be one of those!

quozl
30-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Just an update to the Bosch wiper Ebay link / Australian vendor info I posted on the previous page.

The blades arrived today, so ordered on Monday arrived Wednesday and are indeed genuine Bosch AeroTwin blades with the Scirocco listed on the back of the packaging, and they are brand new in the original packaging. Cost was AU $47.99 for the pair of blades and Postage and Handling of AU $16.00 for a Total of AU $63.99. They came via registered post delivered to my door.

Considering Autobarn had the same blades for $40 a blade you'll save around $20 dollars.

Cheers Al

Mac135
30-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Al,

I'll try ang get a pair ordered tonight.

Ian

quozl
30-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Just put them on the car, easy as to install just remove the outside clip on the replacement blades as you don't need it. They work a treat so much better than the OEM, very happy no more smearing.

mr gee
31-05-2012, 11:53 AM
If you need to buy online, try this UK site. I got mine last year (3 sets for less than $100)

VW Scirocco 2008 to 2012 Twin Pack Wiper Blades (http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/vw-scirocco-years-2008-to-2012-wiper-blades/)

kazmeyers
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM

I did a drive to Sydney (from Melbourne) and the night I arrived I noticed a creak coming form the rear of the car. This happened when I turned the car at slow-turning speeds, or rolling out over gutters onto streets/roads, etc. This noise was not present prior to the Sydney trip. Who found out it was the panel, and which one of yours was it, Con? Halp! :(

Oh, also got my roof wrapped here: Carbon Demon | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/carbon.demon)
Should be a pic at the top, posted tonight by Michael of Carbon Demon.

kazmeyers
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
For me, it was a panel in the back. Plastic clips held it in place, and it was rubbing up against the metal body panels on the back.

Mine was a one off though. It was a production mishap. Not sure how often it happens to others. I'd recommend some DIYs before taking it to the dealer. My experience says try to pinpoint it:

-dampers in the boot hatch cause it to creak. They can be adjusted and pushed out/in with an allen key.
-jambs between doors/boot hatch. from the shipping/delivery, a wax is applied to protect the car. Not really ever completely removed. Try washing the door jambs with soap and water.
-Krytox/Gummi PFledge the seals all around.
-Rear seat clamps
-Drive with boot open.
-Worst case, it's the rear bushes, but I doubt it. You'd have other issues too.

Got to be one of those!

Ahhh, just read this Con. I will have a look at it on my next day off!