PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Jetta Q

doc
14-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Looking at a 2007 Jetta. It's been advertised as a 1KM MY07 TDI DSG. As my daughter may be driving this on occasions and she is on her P's, the restriction to the high powered cars applies to the 1984cc but not the 1968. How do I tell what motor it has? Engine number, VIN? Any help appreciated.

cheers...doc

h100vw
14-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Looking at a 2007 Jetta. It's been advertised as a 1KM MY07 TDI DSG. As my daughter may be driving this on occasions and she is on her P's, the restriction to the high powered cars applies to the 1984cc but not the 1968. How do I tell what motor it has? Engine number, VIN? Any help appreciated.

cheers...doc

Google the engine code, off the sticker on the rocker cover or from the service book.

Gavin

BeigeJet
14-03-2012, 06:55 PM
It's been advertised as a 1KM MY07 TDI DSG. As my daughter may be driving this on occasions and she is on her P's, the restriction to the high powered cars applies to the 1984cc but not the 1968. How do I tell what motor it has? Engine number, VIN? Any help appreciated.

cheers...doc

I'm very sure that a TDI is the 1968 cc engine

Cheers

BluChris
14-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey there doc, let me ease your pain. From the VicRoads website:

"What are the criteria for a probationary prohibited vehicle?
A probationary prohibited vehicle is a vehicle that:

has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or
has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except diesel vehicles, all Smart models, Suzuki Cappucino and Daihatsu Copen). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads
has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
a nominated high performance six cylinder engine."

See the bit where it says "except diesel vehicles"? If you're buying diesel, no problem. You could also get a Daihatsu Copen :cool:

doc
18-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Chris I have already checked the VicRoads website. The 1969 is ok but the 1984 is one you have to get an exemption for and I'm not sure whether she qualifies. I realise that it doesn't seem much but I don't want her to have any problems.
BUT...........then again, if we can't come up with a definitive answer, how are they, or more to the fact, the police out on the street?

BluChris
18-03-2012, 08:12 PM
For some weird reason my post didn't take, so let's try again. Doc, I believe the 1984cc engine on the VicRoads website that requires an exemption is the TFSI petrol - ie the Golf GTI engine the top Jetta came with. The confusion arises because there are petrol and diesel 1984cc turbo engines in the VW family.

Best to call VicRoads to confirm which engine they mean.

You need hardship or similar grounds for an exemption, not just because you want one. The police will check for the exemption and if not granted your daughter is gone.

doc
19-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I believe the 1984cc engine on the VicRoads website that requires an exemption is the TFSI petrol

You are right Chris. My bad. I have obviously misread the website. Thanks

doc

BluChris
20-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Hey Doc, no problem. The site is not as clear as it could be. If you look at the Skoda Octavia RS/vRS there is no distinction between the turbo diesel and turbo petrol either, except the diesel has lower engine capacity and is marked approved. You'd have to know your models well to understand what it actually means - that one is petrol, one diesel.

Regardless, looks like you should be fine with the car you were interested in. Good luck with it, I hope it turns out well for you.