PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the track - where to start?

reborn
17-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Just wondering what steps one would take towards hitting the track.

I understand there are licensing requirements, car safety requirements and probably more I am not aware of.

I have a stock Mk1 and want to take it to the track, I understand I would need a tow point andd roll cage to begin with.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

gtimk5
17-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Good one reborn, bout time another Golf hit the track! :) Gunter, my competition Golf started out with an old Passat 1.6 motor and did well.
You dont need a rollcage if you are only planning club days.
You need steel valve caps, a bonnet strap or pins and at least a .9 of a kilo fire extinguisher. Tape on the headlights as well is required.
A level 2S licence is needed as well, however if you are planning full racing then it becomes a lot more involved.......
All the best mate, Andrew:)

reborn
17-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I am looking into clubs in the ACT now. I found the Southern District Motorsport Association online and have fired them off an email.

Mine is a 1.6 and I guess I would look at carby, manifolds and extractors etc soon enough although to beggin with I havee ordered a pair of Bilsteins so i can get the car nice and firm.

I have always wanted to give it go, what a buzz it would be!!

Cheers!

Timbo
17-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Why not just try one of the Open Practice days at Wakefield, to begin with?

It'll cost you about $100 plus $50 for a 12mth Wakefield licence, plus helmet hire, if you need one. It'll give you a good sense of whether you want to go further, without you needing to spend much money at all.

And it will quickly show you where your car needs work...and where you need practice ;)

As long as your road car stops, has serviceable tyres, doesn't smoke (too much!) or drop fluids...you'll be fine

www.wakefieldpark.com.au

reborn
17-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Top idea! Thats just up the road for me too!

Might have to give the tonner a wrap around too :)

gtimk5
17-07-2007, 02:13 PM
It took me 5 years of all types of motorsport including sealed tarmac road rallies before I tried circuit racing. The more I spent on the Golf, the less fun it was I think.
With circuit racing there were too many mind games going on with some other competitors and the timing officials even with the dorian timers. Get third in one race, go to second last grid spot in the next race! No show at all with Evos, Porsches and Subies. I gave up competing then.....:confused:
Circuit sprints are definately fun and the cameradery is great! Especially if you compete against likewise friendly competitors and not those playing for sheep stations
Andrew :)

Water Boy
17-07-2007, 05:00 PM
With circuit racing there were too many mind games going on with some other competitors and the timing officials even with the dorian timers.

So true we had this guy with his Dorian mounted on the radiator support and ours was on the passanger floor where it should be... We went over the line first with him rite beside the Golf... Got robbed of the win but Improved Production commitee stepped in and said we really won...

Circuit raing is great iv had my Junior speed licence a year now and done many hill climbs and sprint meetings... Also numerouse moto khana's and khana crosses..

Its heaps of fun and if any one gets a chance jump at it...

James :)

gtigrl
30-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I have been doing timing for Superkarts and we have guidelines about where and how competitors have to mount their transponders to avoid the exact problems you have described. So if the officials and scrutineers at whatever event you are participating in are competent, you shouldn't have timing and placing issues.

aprr32
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Reborn, we hit the track at Wakefield with the Canberra Porsche Club every Canberra Day.We usually get a a few VW's including Golfs.As a member of the club I can invite other people to come along.You don't need a cage,extinguisher or bonnet pins, just a helmet.We even self scrutineer our own cars.Great day if doesn,t rain like this year-the Caddy spent a lot of time going backwards.You can mix it up with MG's ,MX 5's and anything else you like.
Cheers Peter

reborn
07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Reborn, we hit the track at Wakefield with the Canberra Porsche Club every Canberra Day.We usually get a a few VW's including Golfs.As a member of the club I can invite other people to come along.You don't need a cage,extinguisher or bonnet pins, just a helmet.We even self scrutineer our own cars.Great day if doesn,t rain like this year-the Caddy spent a lot of time going backwards.You can mix it up with MG's ,MX 5's and anything else you like.
Cheers Peter

Hey Peter, Sounds like top fun! Being an import from Sydney the timing of Canberra day has not sunk in yet... terrible I know! i will look that up and keep up with the repairs!! I am keen to see how the car will handle - even with its old worn shocks and loose springs it still out manouvers most through roundabouts etc. What a great little car they are! Should I be ready and able to come along I will get in touch! Cheers mate. Lucas