PDA

View Full Version : chipping vs standalone

Lima
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't think. Do. :)

I made a bad choice with my chip (Unichip) in my old Mk4 but it was still a more enjoyable, and swifter, ride than in stock mode.

I wouldn't even think twice about it to be honest. It's a proven mod with not too much that can go wrong.

Cheers Liam

DubSteve
12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I think for the best mod and pretty much instant power gains there is nothing like a chip/ flash I think. Pety not the same for NA cars :(

DUB 20V
12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Howdy all,

Since I've been such a good boy by quitting smoking I've promised myself an expensive toy. I've been looking at 2 different options - wheels or a chip. I still haven't been in a mk4 that has been chipped and I'm very keen to do so. Anyone in melb up for a coffee and take me for a spin? :???:

Cheers,

find you closest haltech dealer and get the interceptor :) cant go wrong

gpk_gti
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
99,,,I wish I could use this as my sig-- its very wise words,especially the bit about last.

$ per kw?

And remember CHIP TUNING IS THE LEAST EFFECTIVE WAY OF TUNING.
Also if you change anything after the chip you surely then need a remap. A Chip should be the last thing you do to your car.

No manufacturer needs to push their wares, any prospective purchaser will look at all the options unless they are stupid and pushy salesmen only jeapardise the sale in my experience.

Finally this is a non for profit organization and any unwanted sales pitches will be deleted and the users banned.

Bug_racer
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Chip tuning least effective way of tuning ?
Maybe in the 80's
welcome to the 21 century !

Bug_racer
12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
as said the chip seller!

I use to run stand alone in the VR6 , I will be running stand alone in the VR6 when its turboed and also the Seat . If there is an option for a chip Id rather take that then running stand alone .

Bug_racer
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Just to clear something up I never said tuning I said power gains lol :)

Anyways back on topic boys.

Stand alone will almost always give you more power than a chip , but see what the tune is like on a real hot day when only 95 octane is available , or how does it affect idle when A/C is turned on or how is it when starting up from dead cold on a cold winters morning , or whats its partial throttle response like . There is more to tuning than full throttle .

DUB 20V
13-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Chip tuning least effective way of tuning ?
Maybe in the 80's
welcome to the 21 century !

its not only the chip guys using 21st century tuning the standalone guys have also steped up the game,

ps, you cant tell us you would use a chip on your vr6 if you had the option, but it would be good to see it lean out.:)

Golf Loon
13-07-2007, 07:17 PM
My point, as you well know Seb is that a CHIP on its own is gonna have the least effect than Mods to the engine and a Chip. That is my point, I feel I may have been misquoted :?

Keep this thread nice, big brother is watching you.
As in an Orwellian 1984, not a pathetic Chanel 10 show.

Bug_racer
17-07-2007, 10:01 AM
its not only the chip guys using 21st century tuning the standalone guys have also steped up the game,

ps, you cant tell us you would use a chip on your vr6 if you had the option, but it would be good to see it lean out.:)

Stand alone is always going to be behind chipping . How many stand alones are compatible with TFSI ? And now that the new Golf GT is out I cant see stand alones being used on that any time soon

ps I dont know what your implying here but I have pulled the whole wiring harness out of the VR6 and running a brand new Autronic wiring harness . I dont like the cheap stand alone systems cause they hack into the wiring harness which looks far less professional than redoing the whole wiring harness !

Bug_racer
17-07-2007, 10:03 AM
My point, as you well know Seb is that a CHIP on its own is gonna have the least effect than Mods to the engine and a Chip. That is my point, I feel I may have been misquoted :?

Keep this thread nice, big brother is watching you.
As in an Orwellian 1984, not a pathetic Chanel 10 show.

I thought you meant that the chip is the least effective mod . I can tell you from experience that all the bolt ons on a 1.8t will do bugger all unless the boost is raised . A manual boost controller will do more than a 3 inch exhaust . A chip is the single most effective mod for a 1.8T in terms of bang for buck

gpk_gti
17-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I can tell you from experience that all the bolt ons on a 1.8t will do bugger all unless the boost is raised .

so is that to say a turbo inlet pipe,airfilter mods and exhaust will do nothing at all??

SoVeReIgN
17-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Funny this : Happens with everything.
Anything you buy will always be the best and you'll try and convince everyone the same so you feel like you made the right choice.

IMO : The only time standalone is better than a chip is if you have big big mods planned. (Not talking exhausts/intakes etc)

APR/GIAC etc spend thousands of hours sorting out their tune, do you think your local tuner can get the same result with a few hours on the dyno? Full throttle might be fine, but part throttle, hot days, cold starts etc are alot harder to sort out.

Golf Loon : "A Chip is the least effective mod"
That is laughable - What do you propose people do that will net more power than a chip?
Exhaust and intake do barely anything on an otherwise standard car.

george - TIP does bugger all because the standard one doesnt collapse when the car is stock (IIRC)

fuzion
17-07-2007, 11:39 AM
so is that to say a turbo inlet pipe,airfilter mods and exhaust will do nothing at all??

a k&n gave 2-4fwkw on the dyno and in actual fact is not a recommended filter for a golf for instance. as sov said, the TIP is useful for uptop gains where it would collapse during heatsoak on a oem one.

downpipe is sufficient enough as well, i got the same kw with dp then i did will full exhaust on my car...

gpk_gti
17-07-2007, 11:39 AM
there is a difference in torque,I did my dyno before chip and with those mods.up to 293nm torque atw with those mods noted and k03s.so no difference?? and there are members here with standalones who have received sizable gains and no issues.yet there are people here that have chipped their cars with ****** chip and received under 10kw gains.
I totally agree with your quote
"Funny this : Happens with everything.
Anything you buy will always be the best and you'll try and convince everyone the same so you feel like you made the right choice. "

99gti
17-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't mean to open a can of worms by saying this but what is meant by stand alone? Is this a complete replcement for the ECU that is completly customisable?

static1800
17-07-2007, 04:04 PM
yes, i.e. Microtech, Wolf 3D etc.

gpk_gti
17-07-2007, 04:20 PM
some are piggy backed onto your computer,some are completely stand alone.im not a expert on these but have a basic understanding of them.

99gti
17-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Ahhh - now this thread makes a bit more sense! Since this stemed from my original post I'll add that a chip is the only option for me in my own opinion. This is based purely on the gains I want to get for value for money. I'm sure with a standalone there are alot more options etc. but I'm not looking for that much flexibility. The chip I have chosen however does have a certain level of flexibility to upgrade the program as I do further modifications to the car. I wouldn't want to lay out the extra money for a standalone unit for the extra gains that it offers as for my driving style and conditions the gains would be minimal. It was never my intention for my car to turn into a race car and it's very much going to be a daily driver. It's the ease of the installation combined with the power gains that makes this a very apealing upgrade to me. If it's the best solution - I'm sure that's debatable, however a chip is definetly the most suitable solution for me....

gpk_gti
17-07-2007, 04:27 PM
care to share who it is that has this adaptable chip 99?:D? pm is ok,just curious:cool:

99gti
17-07-2007, 04:43 PM
care to share who it is that has this adaptable chip 99?:D? pm is ok,just curious:cool:

PM sent. I'm not about to start WWIII.... lol

DUB 20V
17-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Stand alone is always going to be behind chipping . How many stand alones are compatible with TFSI ? And now that the new Golf GT is out I cant see stand alones being used on that any time soon

ps I dont know what your implying here but I have pulled the whole wiring harness out of the VR6 and running a brand new Autronic wiring harness . I dont like the cheap stand alone systems cause they hack into the wiring harness which looks far less professional than redoing the whole wiring harness !

you say you pulled the whole wiring harness out of the vr6, well why wouldnt you you dont need to run much from it no aircon, proble not using vw dash just to name a few.

so my mate just bought a golf gt, can he come and grab a chip from you already, or will need to wait?

Bug_racer
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes I pulled out the whole harness , I dont need A/C or heater . In fact I'm considering no longer running a radiator .

Chips dont get released the minute the car is released , there is a lot of testing involved , but I dont see stand alone working with current can-bus systems , well not for a while anyway

you say you pulled the whole wiring harness out of the vr6, well why wouldnt you you dont need to run much from it no aircon, proble not using vw dash just to name a few.

so my mate just bought a golf gt, can he come and grab a chip from you already, or will need to wait?