PDA

View Full Version : The plans for my MK4!

Cache
16-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

Since it's so quiet in here, I thought I would stir the pot and let you guys know about my past and future modifications/plans for my GTI and get some feedback. As most of you know, I own a delightful jazz blue 4 door mk4 GTI. The current modifications are as follows:

Full Exhaust
GFB Stealth FX

Big list eh?

The exhaust is a 2.5' custom mandrel bent dump pipe to a super hi-flow cat and then 2.75' pipe from cat back. The whole system ends with duel 3' tips. And yes, you read correctly, there is no mufflers. I originally wanted no cat either, but Australian exhaust engineers arnt quite as adept as the people at 42 draft designs (who make full turbo back no-cat systems that dont throw codes) so I had to chuck it in. Either way...it sounds perfect.

Future plans:

GT25/30 Disco Potato Turbo
FMI w/ custom fabrication
Proper engine management system (not a chip)
Plus all the goodies neccessary when you do a turbo conversion...the list is massive.

My budget is around 15k at the moment, as soon as I find a competent workshop to work with in Queensland the mods will start. As far as body goes, I am going to have to get a custom front bar made up to fit the FMI in, as I dislike all the current aftermarket kits availible on the market. 18x8's will go on within a week or two, once I decide on a finish. As for interior/sound, the car already has an extensive eclipse system in it. 2 x 6' splits, 2 x 6 x 9's, 1 x 10 sub, 2 x 12 sub.

I think thats about it for now...I will keep you guys updated with all my mods!

Cheers,

Jake

VWEAPN
16-07-2007, 09:40 PM
it will turn out to be a bit of a machine this thing. good luck with everything

Cache
16-07-2007, 09:43 PM
it will turn out to be a bit of a machine this thing. good luck with everything

Thats the plan mate :). Pre-addiction of golfs I owned a very very large horsepower skyline...this thing will follow suit. I'm looking for the achieveable mark of 200fwkw on a day to day tune. I know I'm going to blow my budget...but I dont really mind, what else is there to spend money on at 19 :P.

Thanks!

gpk_gti
16-07-2007, 09:43 PM
woohooo!! now thats a list! sounds like it will be some beast when its complete.Have you got a time frame Cache for all these mods?? I do have a PVW mag somewhere ,that has a huge write up about installing and adapting the front bar on a mk4,might try to find it for you!!! keep us up to date with all your mods and if possible ,take some shots to share your journey!! best of luck mate!!!:D

Cache
16-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Cheers for the comments George.

Time frame is 6 months or so, I dont really want to rush anything with this car...as from what I have read people who dont plan it properly normally end up in a mess.

I definitly need to invest in a digital camera...as I dont own one. A question for you knowledgeable folk....how do the gearboxes hold up in the MK4's when they start approaching the big hp marks?

Cheers fellas.

h100vw
16-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Your gonna want an LSD I reckon. When that's installed I think they can removed the diff pin rivets and swap them for bolts.
The box itself seems to last OK.

Gavin

Cache
16-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Gavin. Sounds like a plan to me. I will keep you guys updated.

DUB 20V
16-07-2007, 10:45 PM
hey dude you sould get the bov tuesday or wed cheers, damn thats some list

SoVeReIgN
17-07-2007, 01:22 AM
You'll want a 3" with a turbo that size for sure.
The reason you can't get a place to make you cat-less exhaust is because they are highly illegal in Australia however ok in most states of the U.S

With a mods list that long you'll probably want a rebult gearbox with LSD (Must) and maybe even straight cut gears on 123 (If you're pulling it apart you might as well ;) )

Nice plans anyway :D

Bug_racer
17-07-2007, 10:18 AM
The turbo is too small , The Ko4 off the S3/TT is only slightly smaller and will be a lot cheaper to install , you'll make around 170 from the KO4 and around 190 WKW and thats maxxed out .

This is what your considering :

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860RS_739548_1.htm

This is what you should get :

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_707160_10.htm

Forget the straight through exhaust , you will get pulled over . Get a decent 3 inch with mufflers and you'll be fine .

As for the gearbox consider an 01M as they are a lot stronger , also definately get an lsd

As for stand alone vs chip . Im chipped , happy to go head to head with any stand alone 1.8T with bolt ons only . Stand alone in my books is not for daily driving . And it does require a lot of tuning to get it right

I'll be up in Queensland shortly for the drags if you can make it out the wife can take you for a drive .

Cache
17-07-2007, 06:34 PM
The turbo is too small , The Ko4 off the S3/TT is only slightly smaller and will be a lot cheaper to install , you'll make around 170 from the KO4 and around 190 WKW and thats maxxed out .

This is what your considering :

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860RS_739548_1.htm

This is what you should get :

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_707160_10.htm

Forget the straight through exhaust , you will get pulled over . Get a decent 3 inch with mufflers and you'll be fine .

As for the gearbox consider an 01M as they are a lot stronger , also definately get an lsd

As for stand alone vs chip . Im chipped , happy to go head to head with any stand alone 1.8T with bolt ons only . Stand alone in my books is not for daily driving . And it does require a lot of tuning to get it right

I'll be up in Queensland shortly for the drags if you can make it out the wife can take you for a drive .

Thanks for the info Bug, gave me some perspective. I appreciete your views on standalone vs chip, but it comes down the fact that this car will most likely not be a daily driver. I have a friend who currently runs the disco potato GT-28 and has achieved over 200fwkw in a MK4 GTI. The GT2871R is also another option, but I am yet to find any info on how these have performed in the GTI's, maybe you could help out with a link. As for the exhaust, its already done, post turbo upgrade i know the 2.5' dump pipe wont hold up, so another full custom system will be made up to suit.

Also, Sovereign. It wasnt the case that I couldnt find an exhaust mechanic to install straight pipe, it was more the fact they sucked and couldnt get it on without throwing codes like the people in the US. Hence the cat haha :D.

In regards to the LSD, I will definitly be purchasing one to suit.

A drive would be awesome Bug_Racer, definitly look forward to going for a spin.

Thanks again guys,

Jake

fuzion
18-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Jake:

bug_racers car:-

http://uploader.ws/upload/200706/IMG00102.jpg in fwd, Street Mode!

Cache
18-07-2007, 06:40 PM
The pic didnt work bro :(

gpk_gti
18-07-2007, 07:08 PM
no pic here either.

fuzion
18-07-2007, 07:08 PM
works for me?

http://uploader.ws/upload/200706/IMG00102.jpg

try the link?

Cache
18-07-2007, 07:11 PM
It comes up with "un-authorised referer". Clear your temp files and reload the page, probably wont work.

gpk_gti
18-07-2007, 07:13 PM
still nothing....:?

fuzion
18-07-2007, 07:22 PM
argh, lets try u/l again .. here we go

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8606/img00102oj4.jpg

fuzion
18-07-2007, 07:55 PM
finally! lol .. argh! all that for a pic my god!j:

ope126
19-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Sounds great! Keep us up to date with the developments! :D

Bug_racer
23-07-2007, 11:58 AM
. I have a friend who currently runs the disco potato GT-28 and has achieved over 200fwkw in a MK4 GTI. The GT2871R is also another option, but I am yet to find any info on how these have performed in the GTI's, maybe you could help out with a link.

I would rather use a turbo thats ratted to 460 than one thats rated to 330 to get 200KW ATW's . Especially given the spool is going to be similar .

Cache
23-07-2007, 08:00 PM
We shall see, I found a car in the US that is running a much much larger turbo and the figures he is putting out are insane with around the same budget as me. So I might go down that more..."laggy" path.

Cheers.