PDA

View Full Version : Finding alpine grade diesel in Melb.

Tornado T5
16-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier selling diesel fuel suitable for driving in snow/alpine regions sold in Melbourne? I know BP sell in Wangaratta & Mansfield however I was hoping to fill before our trip and see the range achieveable...being first ever diesel T5 I'm still amazed at the economy for a 1900kg van.

Transporter
16-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier selling diesel fuel suitable for driving in snow/alpine regions sold in Melbourne? I know BP sell in Wangaratta & Mansfield however I was hoping to fill before our trip and see the range achieveable...being first ever diesel T5 I'm still amazed at the economy for a 1900kg van.

Hi Tornado T5,
any BP diesel is suitable for any winter condition you can encounter on this continent. In winter season we have winter diesel fuel. For more information check BP website.
I'm using BP or Shell diesel in all my diesel cars since they have the highest cetane number BP CT-51 and Shell CT-50.

Tornado T5
16-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Tornado T5,
any BP diesel is suitable for any winter condition you can encounter on this contnent. In winter seson we have winter diesel fuel. For more information check BP website.
I'm using BP or Shell diesel in all my diesel cars since they have the highest cetane number BP CT-51 and Shell CT-50.
Thanks MRL T5,
The reason I ask is that I remember reading an article about winter diesel and alpine diesel with the alpine diesel sold only in the specific alpine regions and it had a significantly lower tendancy to wax then normal winter month diesels.

briseos
21-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Interesting point on season specific diesel

My Golf V 2.0TDi runs exclusively on BP diesel (Fuel card) and recently took a little trip to northern NSW inland and froze the bejeezus of my. BUT, although the dub was full of Brisbane diesel, the below freezing early morning startup with the car left in the open all night and being covered in a thick layer of frost and then snow did not pose any problem. The dash display told me it was -4C and she started like a dream and ran back to brissie without a wimper!

So, how much does it REALLY matter what diesel you put in your tank, or is 'winter' diesel country wide and not locality specific?? Anyone?

Transporter
21-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Interesting point on season specific diesel

My Golf V 2.0TDi runs exclusively on BP diesel (Fuel card) and recently took a little trip to northern NSW inland and froze the bejeezus of my. BUT, although the dub was full of Brisbane diesel, the below freezing early morning startup with the car left in the open all night and being covered in a thick layer of frost and then snow did not pose any problem. The dash display told me it was -4C and she started like a dream and ran back to brissie without a wimper!

So, how much does it REALLY matter what diesel you put in your tank, or is 'winter' diesel country wide and not locality specific?? Anyone?

From 1 May it is winter diesel and it is locality specific.
More at http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012375&contentId=7026265

You would have to take the car to -30 deg C to have a starting problem.
Our winter diesel fuel is good enough for our winter conditions. I would refill in the area where I'm staying in snow if arriving from warmer area.

In the past I lived in the country where in winter was -30deg C and sometimes more than that and from my experiance up to -10deg C most of the diesel engines started "ok".

If the temperature drops over night just couple deg. below 0, you are "ok" even with summer diesel. You need to park day/night and over the weekend and temperature would have to drop below 0 deg. C for the wax in the diesel fuel to have any effect on diesel injection system (start blocking lines and the filters).

It is when you start driving let say at -4deg. C the wind which is passing the fuel tank will cool the fuel even further , than you can get into the problem with summer diesel.