PDA

View Full Version : New Merc A Class takes the fight to VW Golf

DoggieHowser
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
And it doesn't look as bad as the BMW 1 series

New Mercedes Benz A class hatchback | Cheap luxury small cars (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/a-new-mercedes-for-30000-20120306-1uey8.html)

New Mercedes-Benz A-Class (http://smh.drive.com.au/photogallery/new-mercedesbenz-aclass-20120306-1ueyr.html?selectedImage=1)

Bflat
06-03-2012, 12:58 PM
I dig it.

It's got a nice character, unlike the last one (that had aids).

sabloke
06-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Looks like an Astra J with MB badge slapped on :)

Smead
06-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't mind it at all. Be interesting to see how MB price it

HaHa i agree there Bflat, the last one looked arse, like an overdone Colt

Ryan_R
06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I like how all the articles of new hot hatches say "to compete with the Golf GTI".

That must mean we've already made a good choice.

gecko2k
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
It's got a nice character, unlike the last one (that had aids).

True that, but BOOOI they are so roomy. Traveling in them is just so chilled and relaxing.

And you can fit a large (not legal though) amount of people in.

I believe Brabus offered a package for them too....

jacob13
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
read the stuff it is not clear to me it is confusing to me.

GTI4fun
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I'll be def test driving one of these, however they don't mention the A-250 model or the AMG version which will be avail. in europe:-(

jamesatfish
11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I'll be def test driving one of these, however they don't mention the A-250 model or the AMG version which will be avail. in europe:-(

The information I've been given by our AMG dealer is that the A45 is scheduled to arrive in Australia in late 2013. Apparently it'll be a 2.0l Turbo engine, AWD and be good for a low 5-second sprint to 100kph. It's expected to arrive somewhere in the $80-90K mark depending on what ends up being included as the standard config.

Seems like it will be pitched at buyers of the Audi S3 / RS3 / BMW 1M rather than the Golf R / BMW 135.

GTI4fun
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
The information I've been given by our AMG dealer is that the A45 is scheduled to arrive in Australia in late 2013. Apparently it'll be a 2.0l Turbo engine, AWD and be good for a low 5-second sprint to 100kph. It's expected to arrive somewhere in the $80-90K mark depending on what ends up being included as the standard config.

Seems like it will be pitched at buyers of the Audi S3 / RS3 / BMW 1M rather than the Golf R / BMW 135.

Since when are people willing to pay $90k for a hatchback vehicle?? i don't see myself paying even $70k might as well add another 10-20k and get a nice convertible.

Njay
11-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Mercedes had the official launch party for the a250 last week and haven't decided if the amg version will be coming to Australia yet as the prices will be to high for Australian Market

My source is my mate whose an accountant at Mercedes Australia

Diesel_vert
11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I like how all the articles of new hot hatches say "to compete with the Golf GTI".

That must mean we've already made a good choice.

The article/s may say that, but the Mercedes A-class is a direct competitor to the Audi A3 range or BMW 1-series (and always has been), rather than a Volkswagen Golf range.

Bingo.

Since when are people willing to pay $90k for a hatchback vehicle?? i don't see myself paying even $70k might as well add another 10-20k and get a nice convertible.

The same who might consider the vehicles above - which can be considered stupidly expensive small cars, or a bargain alternative to the Audi S4/RS4, BMW M3, Merc C63 AMG, etc - depending on one's point of view.

jamesatfish
11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Mercedes had the official launch party for the a250 last week and haven't decided if the amg version will be coming to Australia yet as the prices will be to high for Australian Market

My source is my mate whose an accountant at Mercedes Australia

Different from the story I was given, but sounds like your mate has a closer ear to the ground than what I'd heard through the dealer network.

Still, I believe that Australia is the 5th largest AMG market worldwide, and that the C63 comprises 20% of total C-Class sales, so a sub-$100K AMG model could be perfect for our market.

Njay
11-09-2012, 09:12 PM
estimated drive away prices were around $100,000 and Mercedes are still trying determine whether the amg will be feasible in the Australian market, however the M1 has been a success at similar prices

mfl
18-10-2012, 07:27 PM
from Carpoint

What also augurs well for the A 250 Sport is indicative pricing. Benz insiders insist that the A 250 Sport will hit the market at close, perhaps under $50K. Given the level of standard equipment -- DCT transmission, leather, satnav, unique exterior detailing and high-spec wheels and tyres -- that should compare favourably with the heavily option GTIs that seem to inhabit Aussie roads in increasing numbers.

At that price point I certainly would take a look at the A250 Sport, interested to see how the 7sp DCT works.

jamesatfish
18-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Looks like the entry level A Class will come in around $36K - so things are looking good for the A250 Sport to come in at a GTI competitive price too.

jessv3
08-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Looks like the entry level A Class will come in around $36K - so things are looking good for the A250 Sport to come in at a GTI competitive price too.

The pricing is out for the a250 and it's 49k, it's annoying me that the jurno's are dubbing it the gti killer when they should be comparing it to the golf r which is the same price but has much more power and is awd. Personally at first glance the a250 seems way over priced, much like the BMW 1 series..

DoggieHowser
08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
49k is probably what the GTI would be like optioned up with what comes standard on the A250Sport

AMG rims
Reverse camera
Park Assist
Bixenon headlights

Not sure about the rest.

alebonau
10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
The pricing is out for the a250 and it's 49k, it's annoying me that the jurno's are dubbing it the gti killer when they should be comparing it to the golf r which is the same price but has much more power and is awd. Personally at first glance the a250 seems way over priced, much like the BMW 1 series..

as doggie has mentioend the merc a250 is very highly specd. my mk6 gti optioned as it is costs pretty much same as the a250 so its a good comparison I think. option up the golf r to same as a250 I think its closer to $65k last time I checked !

things might change with the mk7 golf but at the present the merc a250 has the golf gti fairly and squarely in its sights !

ps been posting a bit of stuff re merc a250 like local reviews etc in the stiff competition thread,

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/stiff-competition-mk7-golf-gti-69132-26.html#post913062

links to the local reviews so far possibly better posted here,

alebonau
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
merc has released the a250 to the press for reviews and they have flooded in the last few days and all very enthusiastic about this new hot hatch contender ..

this review published in the herald sun gave it 4.5/5
http://www.carsguide...st_drive_review

excellent video review in drive
http://theage.drive....0208-2e20v.html

and a few other local aussie reviews of the a250
http://www.carsales....ch-review-34953

http://www.themotorr...oad-test-review

http://www.goauto.co...A257B0A00220268

http://www.caradvice...0-sport-review/

this thing defiitely going to be a hit

walbjj
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
ill be going to check it out tomorrow. from the pricing calculator, it would seem that the a250 sport compared to a similarly specced gti is actually about the same, like for like.
the a250 has 18" wheels, panoramic sunroof, faux leather, rvc, parking sensors, climate control, bixenons, same power, and for many, the badge.
i believe the a250 is definitely aimed at the gti, whereas the a45 will be aimed at the m135, and a fully specced s3. the golf r will also be in this class but of course it will be slightly cheaper, whether the few extra thousand dollars in savings is down purely to the badge, who knows.

jessv3
12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
faux leather

So it doesnt have leather as standard.

For those who don't want options its still quite expensive, but I get that if you're the type of person who gets most of the mentioned options then the Merc A250 is something to think about..

walbjj
12-02-2013, 07:06 PM
So it doesnt has leather as standard.

For those who don't want options its still quite expensive, but I get that if you're the type of person who gets most of the mentioned options then the Merc A250 is something to think about..

its called artico, a suede like leather material. kind of like alcantara. its actually pretty good. i prefer it over smooth leather. in fact, i prefer cloth to them both, but thats just me.
real leather is an option however.
as far as not wanting options, i guess they market the a250 as being the "top model" with most options included. being a benz and all.
i guess the horsepower race is always a factor, the a250 comes out to match the gti, then the mk7 gti comes out with more power, etc, etc.

alebonau
12-02-2013, 08:01 PM
its called artico, a suede like leather material. kind of like alcantara. its actually pretty good. i prefer it over smooth leather. in fact, i prefer cloth to them both, but thats just me.
as far as not wanting options, i guess they market the a250 as being the "top model" with most options included. being a benz and all.
i guess the horsepower race is always a factor, the a250 comes out to match the gti, then the mk7 gti comes out with more power, etc, etc.

the amg exclusive option for the a250 is only $2.5k ie cheaper than leather for golf gti and you get a lot more than just leather seats for that on the merc. but for me I actually like the two tone standard dinamica interior. its the same as what get on the c250 and looks fantastic. my wife is not a fan of leather at all so this a good option with the micro fibre inserts that looks like suede and why myself have just gone with the standard car and command option. really doesnt need much more :)

jessv3
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
i prefer it over smooth leather. in fact, i prefer cloth to them both, but thats just me.

my wife is not a fan of leather at all so this a good option with the micro fibre inserts that looks like suede and why myself have just gone with the standard car and command option. really doesnt need much more :)

Its funny how different we all are, both me and partner cannot live without full leather, I made the mistake of buying my MKV GTI with tartan (cloth) and just missed leather everyday, so much that I purchased a leather interior from a wrecked MKV GTI and had the tartan seats, door trims and center console replaced with genuine leather :P

alebonau
12-02-2013, 09:27 PM
wow quite a move !

hehe rather than that jackie tartan I went and got leather on my mk6 golf gti too. and man my wife has hated the car ever since for it ! :D so have yielded this time around. any time talk of a new car now first thing she asks....will it have leather seats ???

jamesatfish
13-02-2013, 09:19 PM
The 'official' pics of the A45 AMG have emerged ahead of its launch in Geneva. Apparently 0-100 in 4.6sec with a price tag close to $80k here in Australia. No idea of the options list but if the other classes are an indication assume A250-spec with the AMG packs / wheels / leather as a starting point.

It seems AMG are going to target buyers of the S3 and BMW 1M rather than competing at the price point of the Golf R. I'm really looking forward to driving it to see if the AMG craziness survives in AWD form, but until then I'd still go with a Stage 3 Golf R for the same money.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/2djka1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/28rejo8-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/uvqmc-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/105s02h-2.jpg

oshuyi
15-02-2013, 11:54 AM
here is a fantastic review
AUSmotive.com » Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG revealed (http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/02/14/mercedes-benz-a45-amg-revealed.html)

There's a guy suggesting it'll start from 69k, like the M135i, which is a bargain

DoggieHowser
15-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Aesthetics aside, isn't the 135 a 6 pot engine? Seems odd to pit the 4 pot AMG against it.

Candyman
15-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Isn't that the whole point of turbocharging, allowing small capacity engines to compete with large capacity engines at the same time potentially providing less weight, more fuel economy ....

DoggieHowser
15-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Isn't that the whole point of turbocharging, allowing small capacity engines to compete with large capacity engines at the same time potentially providing less weight, more fuel economy ....

The 135 is a TURBOcharged i6 engine.

A better comparison would be with the 125

Candyman
15-02-2013, 02:13 PM
The 135 is a TURBOcharged i6 engine.

A better comparison would be with the 125

I know mate, my point was that the turbo 4 from VW and Merc allows for comparison across 6's, NA and turbo.

Turbo 4s have particular nuances that lend themselves to comparison with 6's, normally aspirated or not

DoggieHowser
15-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't have arguments with smaller turbocharged engines. Only that like for like comparisons need to be made. I'd see the forced induction I6 as a match for an NA V8 for instance. And BMW does have a reasonably zippy turbocharged I4 engine in their line up.

oshuyi
14-03-2013, 12:37 PM
AUSmotive.com » Mercedes A45 AMG priced from AU$74,900? (http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/03/14/mercedes-a45-amg-priced-from-au74900.html)

how much would that be on road, 80k? b/c it's fuel is 6.9l/100km it might be exempted from the LCT?

walbjj
14-03-2013, 12:44 PM
AUSmotive.com » Mercedes A45 AMG priced from AU$74,900? (http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/03/14/mercedes-a45-amg-priced-from-au74900.html)

how much would that be on road, 80k? b/c it's fuel is 6.9l/100km it might be exempted from the LCT?

Luxury car tax applies normally at $58k? And then for low fuel economy cars it starts at $75k? I think

Dutch77
14-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Luxury car tax applies normally at $58k? And then for low fuel economy cars it starts at $75k? I think

Correct.. or to be precise $75,375 for fuel-efficient cars, $59,133 for other cars.

Although given the big strides in fuel efficiency I can see that 7.0l/100km threshold being reduced in the near future to knock out cars like this.

mr gee
31-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Had a test drive of the A250 yesterday.
My initial impression is

1.engine note is rather pedestrian (almost diesel like) unless you really prod the throttle whereupon it then sounds purposeful and acceleration potential realised.

2.Ride is very firm and feels unsettled due to it being fitted with Run Flats. Certainly worst than my scirocco. and will certainly be a veto factor with this car

3.The gear select is column mounted and takes getting used to. Electronic parking brake takes some getting used to.
Did not notice a D or S selection nor manual gear selection.
With the 7 speed, freeway cruising is a very low rpm affair

4.Command system for sound and Nav is fiddly to use compared with RNS-510.

5.rear seat space is adequate but foot-well is deep while door sill is relatively high so egress will be more difficult vs Golf

TuNeS
02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
My initial impression is

1.engine note is rather pedestrian (almost diesel like) unless you really prod the throttle whereupon it then sounds purposeful and acceleration potential realised.

2.Ride is very firm and feels unsettled due to it being fitted with Run Flats. Certainly worst than my scirocco. and will certainly be a veto factor with this car

3.The gear select is column mounted and takes getting used to. Electronic parking brake takes some getting used to.

5.rear seat space is adequate but foot-well is deep while door sill is relatively high so egress will be more difficult vs Golf

The A250 in Australia does not have run flats. Interesting to hear your thoughts.

walbjj
09-04-2013, 08:28 PM
My initial impression is

just had a test drive in the a250 sport today for about 20 mins.
what can i say, its a well put together car, very nicely done. smooth drive, very quiet, excellent nvh. much better refined than the gti.
HOWEVER, and i had the same issue with the polo gti, the damn automatic gearbox is such a letdown. perhaps i dont know how to use it properly, but i find such a disparity between these paddle shifts compared to a manual gearbox in terms of control. there is no connection there. it doesnt change when i change. there is a lag.
and then when i left it in auto mode, it was hunting and searching for gears going into roundabouts and down a hill.
ill wait for the new manual s3 and see how that looks

oh, btw, anyone interested in an a45, there is a spare car avail in oct if u lay down money now. $85k driveaway

also, in response to this post, cant really talk much about the engine note, it wasnt outstanding, kind of bland.
ride was far from firm. having owned an s2000, evo9 and b series race prepped civics, i know firm. and the a250 is very smooth.
all in all, im not impressed enough by the a250 to consider it, and with the a45, i wouldnt look at it as the automatic gearbox is a X in my book.

alebonau
09-04-2013, 09:46 PM
loving my a250. I agree in ride its far an away a clear step forward from the gti. a lot more refined, has better road holding literally hugs the road with better grip and traction putting power down. both inside and out a clear step forward as well. I still cant believe it has cost me pretty much what my gti was worth.

ps re the auto box it does learn your driving style shift pattern etc. theres a few shift modes as well, in sport, eco and M manual. I havent bothered too much with manual. been pretty happy between eco or sport :)

gavs
09-04-2013, 09:50 PM
loving my a250. I agree in ride its far an away a clear step forward from the gti. a lot more refined, has better road holding literally hugs the road with better grip and traction putting power down. both inside and out a clear step forward as well. I still cant believe it has cost me pretty much what my gti was worth.

ps re the auto box it does learn your driving style shift pattern etc. theres a few shift modes as well, in sport, eco and M manual. I havent bothered too much with manual. been pretty happy between eco or sport :)

I disagree. I've driven one and it was an understeering, uncommunicative pig of a thing and the run flats (tis the only thing I can put it down to) put a horrible harmonic through the car. I'd take my money and put it on a proper performance hatch like the RS260 or new Focus ST and keep the saved coin for insurance and rego for the next 3 years.

walbjj
09-04-2013, 09:55 PM
as i said, the car drove really nice. much better than the gti. i didnt flog the thing, but i drove it hard enough to know that it was no where near as quick or powerful as my apr stg 1 gti, no where near. it felt like a stock gti.
the biggest letdown tho, and ive said it before is the auto box. u can cut it anyway u like, but its still an auto gearbox and will never have the same connection that a manual box gives u. ever

walbjj
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I disagree. I've driven one and it was an understeering, uncommunicative pig of a thing and the run flats (tis the only thing I can put it down to) put a horrible harmonic through the car. I'd take my money and put it on a proper performance hatch like the RS260 or new Focus ST and keep the saved coin for insurance and rego for the next 3 years.

while i agree that the 2 cars u noted are nice, they r nowhere near the level of refinement of the mb or a vw. and thats what a lot of those buyers want. a refined, somewhat sporty car. if they wanted an outright hot hatch, they wouldnt be getting a 5 dr auto, but a 3dr manual

alebonau
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM

no run flats. it runs contisport 5p's as stock. I wouldnt get a RS260 or a focus ST. neither are my kind of car.

it handles and is quicker than my golf gti I had so a good step forward for me. and a clear step both inside and out so pretty happy :)

alebonau
09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
as i said, the car drove really nice. much better than the gti. i didnt flog the thing, but i drove it hard enough to know that it was no where near as quick or powerful as my apr stg 1 gti, no where near. it felt like a stock gti.
the biggest letdown tho, and ive said it before is the auto box. u can cut it anyway u like, but its still an auto gearbox and will never have the same connection that a manual box gives u. ever

yep runs a 7 speed dsg, so if wanting a manual look else where. where my stock mk6 gti use to struggle for traction of the line even could get it to axle tramp the merc doesnt do any of that. much more composed and quicker off the line and way it puts power down is a very smooth gush of speed as races through the gears :) but yeah those wanting a manual will probably choose otherwise. myself after 3 years with the dsg in the golf see it as a smooth transition !

gavs
09-04-2013, 10:02 PM
So long as you're happy with it mate, that's the main thing:)

alebonau
09-04-2013, 10:04 PM
while i agree that the 2 cars u noted are nice, they r nowhere near the level of refinement of the mb or a vw. and thats what a lot of those buyers want. a refined, somewhat sporty car. if they wanted an outright hot hatch, they wouldnt be getting a 5 dr auto, but a 3dr manual

yep theres also the astra opc and other cars if looking for a 3 door. the golf gti / merc a250 are great cars I reckon where wanting a practical 5 door hatch and yet with plenty of poke and decent handling for a bit of fun.

alebonau
09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
So long as you're happy with it mate, that's the main thing:)

yep not to take anythign away from the mk6 golf gti. loved it very much as a car while I had it and no doubt it and mk7 gti when it comes be well sought after cars as well :)

TuNeS
10-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Maybe I am starting to get too old. Seriously, how often would you be pushing your car hard enough to geniunely understeer on the road? If the answer is all the time, then do it on the race track and buy a proper race car. People are looking at the GTI and A250 because they are refined, a pleasure to drive as a daily commuter and offer a bit of fun.

DoggieHowser
10-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe I am starting to get too old. Seriously, how often would you be pushing your car hard enough to geniunely understeer on the road? If the answer is all the time, then do it on the race track and buy a proper race car. People are looking at the GTI and A250 because they are refined, a pleasure to drive as a daily commuter and offer a bit of fun.

Like :)

alebonau
12-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Mercedes Benz A250 Sport vs BMW 125i | carsguide.com.au (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/mercedes_benz_a250_sport_vs_bmw_125i)

Excellent review in todays paper comparing the a250 with the BMW 125i

Their comments below comparing their designs is spot in if think !

"DESIGN
Next to the lustrous ‘look-at-moi’ Benz, the BMW is a sombre Mormon. The barely discernible sports kit does nothing to lift it. Even the five-spoke 18-inch alloys somehow look undersized in a construct that remains visually and functionally awkward in its second generation.
Unremarkable without, underdone within. This interior is worth 30 grand, not the double charged. BMW's much-vaunted dynamic advantage of rear-wheel-drive is a design dead end in a small hatch, the transmission tunnel rendering useless the centre rear seat. The other back pews are intolerable for anyone over average height. Not for nothing is this to be the last rear-drive 1 Series.
By polar, shining contrast the Benz's cockpit could be that of a $150K sports car. It's one of the interiors of the decade to date, an outstanding interface of function and cool; sophisticated yet simple. In exterior terms there's hasn't been a more striking five door hatch. Each time you approach it will gladden your heart."

Sounds like they reviewed an a250 overseas given their comments of it having run flats like the BMW. Merc here definitely gets non run flats in the conti sport 5Ps which lot more supple than the run flats coupled with m pack suspension on the BMW

4.5 stars to the Benz vs 3.5 stars to the 125i sums up well

alebonau
28-04-2013, 02:14 PM
ok 1 month in and 1,500 kms on the clock both around town and on longer distances in the hills and country in the a250. maybe worth posting my thoughts on how have found the car so far and some comparisons back to the mk6 golf gti owned previously :)

1st up will say out right the golf gti was the best car have ever owned....until this a250 has come along ! :D which am absolutely besotted with. but thats not to say the golf gti wont remain in my mind for the kind of things it did very well too. definitely a car loved very much. hopefully my comparisons will help with how similar and yet dissimilar these two cars are !

ok externally....no contest the a250 from every angle in the metal is just a thing of absolute beauty. you wouldnt believe the number of people have come upto me...absolute strangers to ask about the car and complement it. not something have ever had in a car before. this car you look at it sitting squat on the road, its stance, the large wide wheels that fill the wheel arches, the red and black highlights the blacked out windows the twin exhausts the grill and three pointed star out front and it just exudes one statement in the word ... HOT ! :D

the golf gti is almost at polar opposites in the external. it is the definition of wolf in sheeps clothing. and I used to like that aspect of it where it has very understated in looks and unless know what the gti badge means most will easily mistake it for just another pedestrian golf. ps that is not to say its still not very nice to look at in many angles but yeah it is a touch plain jane in the looks department which for many is much of its appeal :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsa8fbd6dd-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsedf9b97b-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zps25f01573-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpscd114196-1.jpg

ok click the pliper...oh and what a pliper the merc has that in itself is a work of art as electronic key with big silver three pointed star hanging of the key ring ! hehe

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zps81e203fb-1.jpg

the golf gti is standard issue plipper/key you get with most cars these days. hitting the plipper the merc just lights up ! the red led rear lights, the lit up highlights all around the car so can see door handles etc. the back lit mercedes-benz logo when open the car. that in itself makes you go WOW !

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsaf4f57dc-1.jpg

the internals of the merc is an absolute stunner...the way everything lights up ! the SLS air vents the red / black two tone interior. compare the standard dinamica amg sport interior of the a250 to the standard jackie tartan interior of the golf gti and its game over in interior styling department. again here its the wolf in sheeps clothing thing going on with the golf where its very golf understated simple vs the a250 where merc has gone all out ! again such different yet similar cars. I paid a bit more for the vienna leather interior on the golf gti as couldnt stand the jackie tartan but when came to the a250 fell in love with the standard interior to point didnt feel even needed to go amg exclusive package on the merc with leather seats etc given just how awesome the standard a250 interior looks :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zps2759744b-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsee05104e-1.jpg

thats externals, internals...more to come :D

alebonau
28-04-2013, 04:57 PM
ok continuing with internals, I'll come back to driving position etc later, but looking at the back seats. there is actually more leg room I feel in the a250 and I think that comes with clever packaging, perhaps a touch more room across the back seat of the gti in width. however having tested the a250 now over longer distances room is sufficient as we have used the back seat for one adult, and two kids one in child seat. Have no doubt be fine for 2 adults in back seat with child in the middle as well. Just like with the golf gti I dont think want 3 adults in the back though, maybe at a very squeeze for short stop but not for long distances ! another win for the gti with rear adjustable vents in the rear console if you sit in the back. the a250 gets underseat fixed vents instead.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsebf153a7-1.jpg

Looking in the boot, no contest the gti wins with not only a space saver but deeper wider boot, a proper fold down ski flap. the merc in some nice touches comes with the proper hide away compartments one with supplied first aid kit, and instead of space saver it comes with can of goo and compressor in the wheel well just as does in the vw scirocco. one other nice touch on the a250 the merc comes with a very solid base to the boot and also when you fold the rear seats forward they do indeed fold flat level with the boot unlike the gti which have a bit of a step up and not quite flat.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zps3911c843-1.jpg

next up, ok lets start the engines...how do they drive :D

macdub
28-04-2013, 07:10 PM
very useful info alebonau..thanks for taking time to do this..looking forward to read your write up on how it drives..:)

DoggieHowser
28-04-2013, 07:42 PM
The few seconds I sat in the back, I felt really claustrophobic. The big bucket seats obscure much of the front view and the high waistline on the back means precious little window view.

alebonau
28-04-2013, 08:32 PM
very useful info alebonau..thanks for taking time to do this..looking forward to read your write up on how it drives..:)

hey macd, no probs after 3 years of enjoyable ownership of the mk6 gti and taking advantage of thsi very helpfull forum, thought least could do is feed some thoughts back on comparisons :)

hopefully will get a chance tomorrow to type up on the how they drive :)

alebonau
28-04-2013, 08:39 PM
The few seconds I sat in the back, I felt really claustrophobic. The big bucket seats obscure much of the front view and the high waistline on the back means precious little window view.

this is something concerned me as well when buying the a250 how kids would go in the back. have two girls one turning 5 other 8 and wondered how theyd be in the back would they even be able to see out ? my wife likes to sometimes sit in the back with the kids as well and last thing I'd want is her unhappy if feeling a bit claustrophobic or stuck away in the back !

fortunately not something thats even been a concern in use. both my kids can see out without issue, and the large panoramic roof I think helps in making it reasonably light and airy space :)

the buckets in the a250 are not bigger or bulkier than the golf gtis that can tell so no real difference there, but the metal surround slot holes in the backs of the merc's seats do help break up the seat backs and are a nice touch !

alebonau
29-04-2013, 10:49 PM
ok start their engines :D

with the golf the engine turns over nicely with a hint of the gti power plant under the bonet. but keep in mind part of that is its in cabin resonator for sound effects. not that theres anything wrong with that hehe. the merc on other hand has this lovely burbling exhaust note which I understand amg has had a fair bit of a hand in tuning. first time my wife head the merc start up she said thats a sports car !. no resonator here this thing sounds awesome just on its own hehe.

before heading off. select reverse or drive with the golf gti and I'd do that with the dsg selector. on the merc its a little stalk on the right whcih has drive up ahead, neutral in the middle and reverse down below and park which is a little push button on the end. Something I have wondered if I'd get used to ...and fortunately yes a couple or so weeks in you do get used to it with D-N-R or P just a quick tap with the stalk or push button. have caught myself early on lookign for the gear selector and doing a double take and can understand if this is a bother for some. Then the theres an electronic parking brake on the merc. which if forget to release with urge of the accelerator it self releases. but yeah does need actuation when pulling up. this is something I got used to very quickly and dont miss the manual park brake on the gti one little bit. both the electronic park brake and gear selector on the steering wheel do save space on the centre console of the merc. giving more generous storage space there but the electronic parking brake also takes away a handy little bin the golf has to the right and merc replaces this with a couple of under seat storage hatches under both the driver and passenger seats :)

reversing out both the golf and merc are pretty bad in rear view with thick rear pillars and rear head rests blocking most of rear view window. the merc rear window is slightly narrower in opening but not much difference there between the two cars looking back. The standard rear view camera and parking sensors on the merc are an absolute boon though. not something had on the gti and both myself and my wife find very handy infact necessary. some thought gone in the placement of the parking distance indicators too as its on the top dash and the rear is visible in the rear view mirror. so very well placed in peripheral vision.

Driving off on the gti there is the ever slight hesitation of the dsg engaging which I soon got used to and never bothered me but I know some complain about. well thats not something you get with the merc it feels a little more slick off the mark. also push the gti hard off the line and it will scramble for grip loose traction even axle tramp with the traction control swinging in pretty severely with bangs and what not. the merc hunkers down and puts the power down a lot more cleanly and composed off the line.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zpsc216860d-1.jpg

Accelerating both rip through the gears pretty swiftly, the gti is a lot more gruff vs the merc that just seems to whoosh through the gears. Same with driving around town once the merc gets used to your drive patterns I dont think either much different in shifting gears. obviously with the gti can use its paddles to shift but also use the dsg gear selector vs the merc where if manually shifting via paddles only. On the merc and gti both have sport modes and both equally manic ! the merc bringing also the eco mode which when engaged also enables start stop mode on the engine. which I must say is very effectively employed on the a250. you literally take your foot off the brake and before can put your foot on the accelerator the engine has burst into life. brilliantly integrated especially considering how well works with hill hold etc. Keeping in mind if need be can bypass this mode altogether too via deselecting the eco mode.

cruising along on the highway the merc is a lovely place to be. in comfort, noise vibration and harshness it is a step up from the gti. which seems the case all round. coming back to the more gruff nature of the gti vs more refined nature of the merc. this I will say might be differentiator enough for people with some actually preferring the gruff of the gti vs others going for the refinement of the merc.

So how do they handle ? well outright have always felt the gti a beautiful balance of power and handling. well can say the merc with the a250 takes this further. more power from its power plant thats better transferred to the road and in handling no doubt with amgs involvement theyve come up with a better package overall. the car just seems unflustered no matter what have thrown it at. whether zipping through the twisty bits or way it sling shots through hairpin bends the a250 is big smile stuff and yet seems so composed at all times, not like ever feel your teetering on the edge of its limits. just seems to stay squat glued to the road very nimble confident and self assured in way gets about :)

so how do they compare in ride ?. pretty similar really, I dont think much in it. I've driven these around town on freeways through the hills dirt roads etc. these are both definitely hot hatches and therefore you get a bit of road feel and connection to the road but at no stage have found either hard or harsh etc. One thing I am very thankfull for is that we get the non run flat conti sport 5Ps on the a250 which probably goes a long way towards its comfort vs the run flats the car is equipped with overseas.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/file_zps78c82b99-1.jpg

up next how are these cars to live with ? usability, ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts, economy etc... :)

TuNeS
30-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the detailed review! Keep it coming. Hopefully the wait will be over for me soon.

alebonau
02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
no worries :) rolling on ...

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc...

As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typical controls within reach. one big screen on the dash, and some limited controls on the steering wheel.

Some little differences in the a250 as I have it, has the command pack and so iphone integration is a given and believe the same with blackberries etc. seamless integration in regard bluetooth, contacts, handsfree, I believe text and messaging etc but not something have tried. I like that it has a hang up and ring button both on the steering wheel and on the main dash. plus like that it has a full keypad on the dash as with being able to search through contacts. This is handy for me as driving, but also if my wife is sitting in the passenger seat she can just use the phone via the dash controls without having to reach across to the steering wheel ! ofcourse on the gti I never had any sort of iphone integration neither even bluetooth was a factory option when I got my car and mine bought off the floor never had it. could get other parrot add on after market systems and the like but all seemed a bit clumsy.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/file_zpsbe3077a2-1.jpg

Also there is ipod integration this I did have via the mdi kit option on the gti which could just plug via the centre console connection and have my 200 cds on the ipod on random play. on the a250 also a centre console hook up though unlike the golfs simple text only interface on the a250 you get full album art and can easily select playlists, albums, songs etc which always took a lot more mining through the menus on the gti to try and access. My wife particularly has commented how nice it is to see full album art and how easy it is to navigate around to select what after.

other media ability ? DVDs I never tried on the gti but I tried for the heck of it on the a250 and they work backed up with the brilliant audio of the 12 speaker harman system with the sub in the boot it looks and sounds superb. but not like we're going to be playing much dvds in the car hehe. Also a very nice addition is the DAB+ digital radio, which works a treat around town and also upto 100km out of metro areas have found. Great that the system on the merc does also deliver song and artist info through the main display.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/file_zps4f37294a-1.jpg

the other thing the a250 has is sat nav. which just works. either select addresses via contacts or via usual means of selection on sat nav units. One thing I really like though is with sat nav selected you can still bring up your other media selection eg listening to cd/ipod/ radio etc. and the sat nav fades the media down if delivering and directions. the volume of either easily adjusted too via the volume knob. no sat nav on the gti I had so cant compare.

in other driving telemetry etc no real difference, they give you the usual trip meter stuff. the a250 has a bit more information ie economy and graphs etc, but this may not be used much by people. but there if you want it.

One big difference in use of all these systems. the golf driven via steering wheel controls or via touch screen on the main panel. the merc is via steering wheel controls. on dash controls or via the main jog wheel thats on the centre console - a bit like bmw does. merc philosophy is to not use touch controls and rather use physical knobs and buttons and like. some might like the lack of hard buttons on the golf for simplicity or look. others might prefer the hard buttons of the merc as they are more positive in use and easily visible for direct use rather than buttons within menus. definitely plusses and minus in each approach. though initially I missed the touch screen of the golf am gaining to like the merc approach. in that literally everything you can drive with the jog wheel :)

one other key difference....linguatronics.... yes the merc a250 has voice control ! and it works. you can make phone calls, select a track/song, select a destination on the satnav all via voice control.

Lets talk more of the systems on the cars. with limited rear visibility on both cars I very much appreciate the rear camera on the a250 its a boon. as with the parking sensors. never had those on the golf gti as an extra cost option but these are standard on the a250. I wish these things are standard on every car. Then theres the auto parking. this I believe also an extra cost option on the golf standard on the a250 and also works. the dealer demoed it to me and my jaw dropped. I never believed how well it worked but suprise suprise on the a250 pulling upto a parking space it asks if want to auto park. say yes and it takes over...still requiring you to control speed via accelerator and brake and both my wife and I look on in awe hehe ! look I still park mostly on my own but never ceases to amaze everytime have used the system hehe

There are a couple of other systems on the merc. that are not on the golf and one is the radar system... this is surprisingly usefull to me as a reminder and for its warnings. look most people getting their license this is one of the first things they learn to keep a safe distance and keep a look out for car in front and what its doing. but this system is really really handy have found in traffic where a red triangle on the a250 speedo pops up to warn if too close to car in front for speed your doing, and also gives a very loud beep as has done for me when have got way too close and had a couple of near misses and swerved. surprised how well it picked up some rough driving by car in front that needs some defensive reaction from driver to avoid. There is also the sensor on the merc that detects a drowsy driver. not something has picked up on me as yet. but I understand it understands your driving behaviour to pick up when might be drowsy. good to know its there. hope never has to activate !

Economy .... both cars are similar.... the golf gti I would say is in actual fact more economical on the run around town...but the merc makes up for this with its eco stop start. as a result both are about the same in fuel economy have so far found. around town I have averaged 10L/100 and with a mixture of country driving and cruising get about 7 L/100. excellent really for the kind of performance these cars deliver.

talking about practicality. while these hot hatches can be a lot of fun just how practical are these in use. well for me for a family of two kids and wife both cars serve well in that role being 5 door hatches. the boot of the a250 is indeed smaller than the golf gti but reality in shopping and the like that hasnt posed a problem. I have folded the seats down in both as wellat times and they serve really well as load luggers like little station wagons in this form. given their fuel economy, performance 5 door hatch backs they are they are very practical everyday cars I think for level of performance and comfort they deliver :)

to finish up ...what are my overall thoughts...

Scratchyratface
03-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Great write up, would be awesome to see it - any chance you can make the meet on the 19th @ Newmarket?

alebonau
03-05-2013, 06:31 PM
hey mate sorry, I would love to come to a "meet" however I think newmarket is in sydney isnt it or is that qld where you are ? am in melbourne. anyways maybe another merc a250 owner reading might be able to make it :)

hopefully get some time tonight and rap this up wiht my overall impressions :)

Scratchyratface
03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
ha ha, sorry I didn't even see you weren't in QLD!

lakeman
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
hopefully get some time tonight and rap this up wiht my overall impressions :)
Thanks for posting your experiences.
I look forward to your next installment.
I have been chasing forums looking for discussion on the A class and blow me down if this forum doesnt have the best info in australia.
I am looking to get an A45 and had a quick look at one of the 250 sports and immediately put a deposit down for the A45.
Just for interest , I modified the Golf R Price calculator and thought I may as well post it here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10856745/Mercedes%20%20Price%20Calculator.xlsx
Here is the dealer letter detailing the A45 specs
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10856745/A45dealer%20specs.pdf

alebonau
03-05-2013, 11:16 PM
hi lakeman, that is going to be one awesome car the a45 ! I have a friend whom did the same driving an a250 and with confidence of what its like pre ordered an a45 as well.

if looking for a forum for all things merc the best have found with a real friendly bunch of guys keen to share the joys of these cars is german car forum. do a google will take you there. I havent been following the a45 talk as such but plenty there a series related :)

lakeman
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
if looking for a forum for all things merc the best have found with a real friendly bunch of guys keen to share the joys of these cars is german car forum. do a google will take you there. I havent been following the a45 talk as such but plenty there a series related :)
Thanks for the tip :)

alebonau
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
my overall thoughts...

the golf gti for me over 3 years of ownership was something I very much enjoyed, its a lovely mix of practical 5 dr hatchback, and ideal family car for us that covertly as it does is a hot hatch within. A huge amount of fun. A perfect mix of handling and performance. The merc A250 is all that and more .... but no theres nothing covert about it, this thing shouts out HOT ! and within its a very comfortable car which serves very well as a long distance cruiser and yet is all mercedes through and through with lovely touches both inside and out. As a performance car the a250 feels amazingly safe, and always feel that your working well within its capabilities not pushing the envelope. It is blindingly quick, handles and puts power down like your glued to the road. Somehow or the other mercedes with the a250 have pulled off a hat trick, combining the hot hatch with comfortable practical everyday car and yet given it all the elements of owning mercedes and look feel of driving something really really special !.

The A250 is the first mercedes have ever owned, I suspect just like this is a first for mercedes it will also be a first for many as an introduction to the brand and wow .... what an introduction !

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/file_zpsac5d49df-1.jpg

TuNeS
04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Great write up, would be awesome to see it - any chance you can make the meet on the 19th @ Newmarket?

If I had myn, I wpuld turn up. Only 5 mins away from me.

TuNeS
04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
my overall thoughts...

the golf gti for me over 3 years of ownership was something I very much enjoyed, its a lovely mix of practical 5 dr hatchback, and ideal family car for us that covertly as it does is a hot hatch within. A huge amount of fun. A perfect mix of handling and performance. The merc A250 is all that and more .... but no theres nothing covert about it, this thing shouts out HOT ! and within its a very comfortable car which serves very well as a long distance cruiser and yet is all mercedes through and through with lovely touches both inside and out. As a performance car the a250 feels amazingly safe, and always feel that your working well within its capabilities not pushing the envelope. It is blindingly quick, handles and puts power down like your glued to the road. Somehow or the other mercedes with the a250 have pulled off a hat trick, combining the hot hatch with comfortable practical everyday car and yet given it all the elements of owning mercedes and look feel of driving something really really special !.

The A250 is the first mercedes have ever owned, I suspect just like this is a first for mercedes it will also be a first for many as an introduction to the brand and wow .... what an introduction !

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/file_zpsac5d49df-1.jpg

Great review mate. Provides a lot more info from ownership experience, that doesn't get captured in other reviews.

rexjamo
19-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks alebonau for the excellent review. As an ex GTI owner, I'm looking at the A250 Sport too. I'm in the process of trying to improve the price, with little luck!

Do you think the command package is worth getting?

Thanks.

alebonau
19-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Great review mate. Provides a lot more info from ownership experience, that doesn't get captured in other reviews.

thanks tunes :)

yes thought probably a few reviews around but you dont get much from owners perspective and rarely ever comparing back to last car you loved hehe

Thanks alebonau for the excellent review. As an ex GTI owner, I'm looking at the A250 Sport too. I'm in the process of trying to improve the price, with little luck!

Do you think the command package is worth getting?

Thanks.

thanks rexjamo glad you like it. yeah the a250 is a great car as previous gti owner definitely one you'll enjoy I think :)

the command package is the only option I got on the car, I learnt a bit from previous cars not to option up too much as you never get your money back :) the command brings full iphone/ipod integration, an excellent harman kardon speaker system and plus sat nav and dab + digital radio. all those combined together well worth getting for the $3k extra merc charge for the option :)

bagerk
22-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm in a similar position to Rexjamo. Considering whether to go for the Comand Package or not... One thing the GF and I decided was a requirement was the Driving Assistance (DA1) package. The Blind Spots are bad on this car.

Talking numbers at the moment but I'm not liking the quote - they even priced in Luxury Car Tax (which I knew was wrong straight away). For Alebonau and Tunes, did you guys walk away with much in the way of discounts? The price I was quoted was close to A45 RRP territory.

walbjj
22-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm in a similar position to Rexjamo. Considering whether to go for the Comand Package or not... One thing the GF and I decided was a requirement was the Driving Assistance (DA1) package. The Blind Spots are bad on this car.

Talking numbers at the moment but I'm not liking the quote - they even priced in Luxury Car Tax (which I knew was wrong straight away). For Alebonau and Tunes, did you guys walk away with much in the way of discounts? The price I was quoted was close to A45 territory.

I was quoted 87k drive away for the a45 delivery in Oct. I'm still not sold on the auto Gearbox

alebonau
22-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Talking numbers at the moment but I'm not liking the quote - they even priced in Luxury Car Tax (which I knew was wrong straight away). For Alebonau and Tunes, did you guys walk away with much in the way of discounts? The price I was quoted was close to A45 RRP territory.

as with any car depends if you load it up isnt it ! but yeah if loading up so much costing upto next model up, should ask yourself if better off buying the next model up instead !

in my case I just got the base a250 and command pack which was plenty for me. I dont think should expect much discount if any. these cars are sold out months in advance. maybe if they have one where a pre order has fallen through might get lucky :)

ps there is no lct on the a250 or the a45 as far as I know :)

bagerk
23-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I dont think should expect much discount if any. these cars are sold out months in advance. maybe if they have one where a pre order has fallen through might get lucky :)

I'm not much for quibbling on price of anything, but paying retail is silly (to me) for just about anything. Unless you're dead set on the particular model (type/brand/whatever) then there's always room to move. No sale vs a discounted sale; most dealers are going to opt for the latter.

I basically set myself a price for this particular car and will see if they meet it. I was just curious what others had paid/were quoted (like the Golf GTi/R threads that abounded for the Mk6 on price and what discount people were able to get).

ps there is no lct on the a250

Yep, I knew that one straight away. Was a bit perplexed that they'd factored it in, but let it slide at the time.

alebonau
23-05-2013, 07:57 PM
well I dont buy into best price threads and I hope this doesnt turn into one. too many factors in what determines price. and as they say best price you will pay is the best one you can negotiate. it really is irelevant what someone else says they paid.

rayw
24-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Good review al
I am surprise that the harmon kardon sound system actually meet your standard and got a big tick from you :)
How is this HK system compare to Dynaudio system in golf ?

thanks tunes :)

yes thought probably a few reviews around but you dont get much from owners perspective and rarely ever comparing back to last car you loved hehe

thanks rexjamo glad you like it. yeah the a250 is a great car as previous gti owner definitely one you'll enjoy I think :)

the command package is the only option I got on the car, I learnt a bit from previous cars not to option up too much as you never get your money back :) the command brings full iphone/ipod integration, an excellent harman kardon speaker system and plus sat nav and dab + digital radio. all those combined together well worth getting for the $3k extra merc charge for the option :)

alebonau
25-05-2013, 08:37 AM
thanks Ray,

below is some info on the harman kardon system that comes with the command pack when option it :)
Harman Kardon Mercedes A-Class (http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/vehicles/a-class/index.aspx)

and it does sound pretty excellent and good value for money I think when consider its bundled in with sat nav, digital radio etc.

sure you could go all out with a high end custom system. ie top end source, amp, speakers large subs etc, and something have done in my younger years when was pretty nuts into car audio. but look given the effort and cost youd have to go through I dont think is warranted given the level of performance you get wiht the harman system.

re the golf and the dynaudio system, I personally wasnt totally convinced with it to be honest in being enough of an upgrade on the stock system of the gti given dollars they ask. I know the passat for instance come with a more upmarket system and wish they offered that on the gtis as well. I actually for the duration of owning the gti held onto what was left of my high end car audio system in a hand made italian amplifier, sub and system integration unit to suit the golf. And had all intentions of fitting this to the car if was going to hold onto it if bought the car out of lease. but now since getting the merc am slowly selling all these off as dont really see myself fitting any of these to the car :)

DoggieHowser
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Weird

Seems a bit late for a review

Drive - Mercedes-Benz A250 Sport Review (http://smh.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/new-car-review-mercedesbenz-a250-sport-20130601-2ni3q.html)

whoalse
10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Good info. Any chance you have the maintenance cost info for the next 3 years? Like standard and major service.

Was told the Evoque's is $600 and $1k every other year. Yes, you can 3 year free servicing if you are with some companies in their list.

alebonau
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Good info. Any chance you have the maintenance cost info for the next 3 years? Like standard and major service.

Was told the Evoque's is $600 and $1k every other year. Yes, you can 3 year free servicing if you are with some companies in their list.

just ask your dealer, I was told typical services we circa $400, so looking at $1200 over 3 years max or 2 services at $800 if sell at 3 year mark like I did with my golf gti. Also ask re fixed price servicing, I did read something about $1500 fixed price for 3 years or 50k. I never inquired any further myself as soon as realised on their corporate program its free servicing for the 3 years my car is on lease :)

DoggieHowser
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I popped by the Brisbane dealer off Fortitude Valley.

No stock of the A250 and any order would only be delivered in November, it seems.

They did have a base A180 that got the AMG treatment so it had the interior and exterior dress up parts of the A250, and that went for $45k driveaway I think. Didn't make sense to me but it does appear Merc are now not discounting the A class, at least not in Brisbane.

I've found my friends seem to get much better discounts down in Sydney.

alebonau
10-06-2013, 10:58 PM
theyve never really discounted them, not been need to. they might throw something in but not much more than that. I had a friend mention that while can make an order for one they cant guarantee delivery now until next year ! I guess upcoming european summer holidays and christmas new year break at end of the year will be factors :)

DoggieHowser
19-06-2013, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pix2MEGhhE

Sutcliffe seems to be having genuine fun with the A45 AMG! :)

Timlin
19-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Amazing car!

An absolute collectors piece!

Pound for pound, from a mass-produced, commercial perspective, this is the most powerful engine ever built!

I'm so jealous! Enjoy man, but watch out for the speeding tickets!!

AT

lenojd
26-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Video: Mercedes A45 AMG vs Golf GTI vs BMW M135i Car Video | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-mercedes-a45-amg-vs-golf-gti-vs-bmw-m135i)

Tobes_WIR35
27-07-2013, 05:22 PM
theyve never really discounted them, not been need to. they might throw something in but not much more than that. I had a friend mention that while can make an order for one they cant guarantee delivery now until next year ! I guess upcoming european summer holidays and christmas new year break at end of the year will be factors :)

Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere, but if you don't mind me asking, how much was the A250? I'm interested in looking at one when my lease is up on the GTI.

I especially like the interior. The exterior - not absolutely adoring it, but it's not bad (I'm sure it would grow on me). It seems that you're certain it's a better car than the mk6 (which it should be given that the mk6 is basically a mk5 which is basically 8 years old...). But is it better than a similarly priced, similarly optioned mk7? That will be the question I suppose...

alebonau
27-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere, but if you don't mind me asking, how much was the A250? I'm interested in looking at one when my lease is up on the GTI.

I especially like the interior. The exterior - not absolutely adoring it, but it's not bad (I'm sure it would grow on me). It seems that you're certain it's a better car than the mk6 (which it should be given that the mk6 is basically a mk5 which is basically 8 years old...). But is it better than a similarly priced, similarly optioned mk7? That will be the question I suppose...

Hi Tobes, I pre ordered nearly coming upto a year ago, and I got through my company so wouldnt compare. best have seen is probably $1k-$1.2k discount you cant expect more as they have not only sold all on the floor but also pre sold out till about jan feb next year it seems. So yeah be lucky if can negotiate a discount but given the demand and waiting list wouldnt expect to have much bargaining ground ! In regards leases. It was literally a straight swap for me from the golf gti to the a250 with command pack. infact my lease cost has gone down with the change in fbt rate and drop in interest rates from when I got the golf.

Yep the interior is miles better than the golf. there is absolutely no comparison. but yeah things like styling inside and out take it or leave it. these things come down to taste. some will like it others not and prefer something else. and your right tech wise the mk6 is/was getting on. In buying a new car I really didnt see much differnet in the mk7 sorry. seems feels like a golf gti. also unsure on styling. have seen a few mk7s and to me just dont have a wow factor. I get that wiht the merc. walking upto it. opening the door. sitting behind the wheel. cranking over the engine, accelerating off, going around corners, just cruising ...I just love it.

but yeah not to say the golf gti didnt have a lot of wow. its a fun car. Just when I get a new car I wanted to have that feeling of getting a new car and going from mk6 to mk7 I couldnt see that neither even if I went say for a pov pack golf R or something. the merc to me gives me that buzz of something new and special :)

alebonau
28-07-2013, 10:08 PM
still in love of my a250 couple of shots from today :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/file_zps78de1bc9-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/file_zpsc8cd0781-1.jpg

Tobes_WIR35
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd also be leasing through my company. The GTI Adidas was about RRP $51,500 including on roads. I think I managed to get it for about $46,500. Could I expect an A250 sport DCT with bi-xenons, leather, satnav, bluetooth and ipod connectivity for that money? (I realise most of these items would be standard but I haven't really researched them a great deal yet).

If Toyota/Subaru bring out a turbocharged or supercharged version of the 86/BRZ then that will confuse the decision even more...

walbjj
04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I'd also be leasing through my company. The GTI Adidas was about RRP $51,500 including on roads. I think I managed to get it for about $46,500. Could I expect an A250 sport DCT with bi-xenons, leather, satnav, bluetooth and ipod connectivity for that money? (I realise most of these items would be standard but I haven't really researched them a great deal yet).

If Toyota/Subaru bring out a turbocharged or supercharged version of the 86/BRZ then that will confuse the decision even more...

I got a price a fewmths back for the a250 and it was Bout $55k

Frankenstrat
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
There was a grey A250 parked in the visitor's car park of the town houses next door to where I live, so I went out for a look. It's quite a stunner, but it seems really odd having no gearshift in the centre console. How do you select REVERSE or stick it in PARK?

DoggieHowser
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
There was a grey A250 parked in the visitor's car park of the town houses next door to where I live, so I went out for a look. It's quite a stunner, but it seems really odd having no gearshift in the centre console. How do you select REVERSE or stick it in PARK?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/8719737685_b47814b3a5_z-1.jpg

Do you see the knob behind the wheel? The one with the R on it? That's the gear selector

Shame they didn't use the A45 AMG one. That looks the business!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/mercedesa45amggearshift-1.jpg

Frankenstrat
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Ah, OK, I didn't notice that when I peeked through the driver's side window. Thanks Doggie, and yes, the A45 AMG knob looks wunderbar!

alebonau
06-08-2013, 08:42 PM

reverse is a little stalk on the right. park you can hit the little button on end of the stalk. or if you just switch the engine off and take out the key it selects park itself

alebonau
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM

check the car sales site it covers off options and pricing pretty well :)

New 2013 Mercedes-Benz A250 Sport W176 March Pricing and Specifications - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars/details.aspx?Vertical=Car&base=2994+3247&__Qpb=1&Match=Make:Mercedes-Benz|BodyStyleCategory:Hatch&R=658549&__Ns=p_HasPhotos_Int32|1||p_IsSpecialOffer_Int32|1 ||p_Year_String|1||p_ReleaseMonth_Int32|1||p_Make_ String|0||p_Family_String|0&spotid=320825&__N=2994+3247+4294951785%204294265176&Silo=1304&seot=1&cs_clicksrc=new-make-link&Cr=3&__Nne=15&trecs=8&__sid=13FD5A3E8CF6&sdmvc=1&WT.z_cs_clicksrc=showroom-listing)

only option I went for on the a250 was the command pack. as the a250 is fully loaded otherwise.

the merc a class website is pretty good at describing whats the standard car and what each option pack brings :)

Mercedes-Benz Australia - Facts & Figures - A 250 Sport, Sport Model (http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/a-class/w176/facts_/sportsmodel.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:sportsmodel)

I understand toyo/subaru have said its not possible to turbo the donk on the toyabaru. if looking at that car its really quite different kettle of fish in anyways. no boot to speak off, no rear seat to talk of. hasnt got the straight line speed. nice car but I dont think they went far enough in either motor, gear box or wheel tyre combo. theres the sti coming and it might bring some handling, exhaust, body kit and other mods.

Transporter
06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
check the car sales site it covers off options and pricing pretty well :)

New 2013 Mercedes-Benz A250 Sport W176 March Pricing and Specifications - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars/details.aspx?Vertical=Car&base=2994+3247&__Qpb=1&Match=Make:Mercedes-Benz|BodyStyleCategory:Hatch&R=658549&__Ns=p_HasPhotos_Int32|1||p_IsSpecialOffer_Int32|1 ||p_Year_String|1||p_ReleaseMonth_Int32|1||p_Make_ String|0||p_Family_String|0&spotid=320825&__N=2994+3247+4294951785%204294265176&Silo=1304&seot=1&cs_clicksrc=new-make-link&Cr=3&__Nne=15&trecs=8&__sid=13FD5A3E8CF6&sdmvc=1&WT.z_cs_clicksrc=showroom-listing)

only option I went for on the a250 was the command pack. as the a250 is fully loaded otherwise.

the merc a class website is pretty good at describing whats the standard car and what each option pack brings :)

Mercedes-Benz Australia - Facts & Figures - A 250 Sport, Sport Model (http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/a-class/w176/facts_/sportsmodel.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:sportsmodel)

I understand toyo/subaru have said its not possible to turbo the donk on the toyabaru. if looking at that car its really quite different kettle of fish in anyways. no boot to speak off, no rear seat to talk of. hasnt got the straight line speed. nice car but I dont think they went far enough in either motor, gear box or wheel tyre combo. theres the sti coming and it might bring some handling, exhaust, body kit and other mods.

Nice Red A250 you have there. :)

alebonau
06-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Nice Red A250 you have there. :)

thankyou transporter :) do love the a250 in red !

Tobes_WIR35
15-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, the 86/BRZ is a different proposition, but the Mrs wants a Range Rover Evoque so she can have the "practical" car then....haha.

I have my 30th birthday coming up in a couple of years. I had a thought the other day that I might hang on to the GTI until then, and treat myself to a 1980's Porsche 911 Carrera for my 30th.

My problem is that I have such a broad appreciation for cars, it's too hard to choose just one! Sometimes I think it would be good to be a simpleton Holden or Ford man - your decision is practically made for you then.